PDA

View Full Version : Building Depth: Consistent or Streaky/Explosive, whats best for a team?

Chronz
02-02-2012, 12:51 AM
I dont think I need to make it known but I am a big fan of Tmac, and watching him play the last few years has shown me that on some nights he can turn back the clock and give near All-Star quality minutes but on the nights when he couldnt, he really struggled.

Tmac has been far more consistent this year but the question Im asking is if you would rather have a player like Tmac who can get it going and be a huge spark on any given night, or would you rather have a role player who may not have as many break out nights but provides a steady dose of production, night in, nightout.

Personally I think if Im a serious contender Id rather have the consistent player but if Im a team like the Hawks thats a tier below, Id rather have Tmac because he could heat up for a series and if he doesnt have it, hes still just a role player.

Birdmannn
02-02-2012, 04:09 AM
I agree a consistent player would help a championship level team where as if you're team thats a step below then the streaky/explosive player could be that lift that could get you there.
Which of these would you place Terry?
I think he the perfect example of both and the big reason Mavs won the finals series.

Bravo95
02-02-2012, 09:31 AM
Tmac has been far more consistent this year but the question Im asking is if you would rather have a player like Tmac who can get it going and be a huge spark on any given night, or would you rather have a role player who may not have as many break out nights but provides a steady dose of production, night in, nightout.
Basically, McGrady vs Jamal Crawford -- the same decision Atlanta faced this past offseason. I preferred T-Mac then and still believe they made the right choice. Much rather have consistent performers off the bench than hoping 1 or 2 players catch fire. The Hawks haven't had this kind of depth in well over a decade.

JordansBulls
02-02-2012, 01:31 PM
I dont think I need to make it known but I am a big fan of Tmac, and watching him play the last few years has shown me that on some nights he can turn back the clock and give near All-Star quality minutes but on the nights when he couldnt, he really struggled.

Personally I think if Im a serious contender Id rather have the consistent player but if Im a team like the Hawks thats a tier below, Id rather have Tmac because he could heat up for a series and if he doesnt have it, hes still just a role player.

Tmac for sure if you don't have enough star production or you have guys who usually disappear in big games.

SteveNash
02-02-2012, 05:25 PM
Tmac for sure if you don't have enough star production or you have guys who usually disappear in big games.

What?

Jason Terry was huge last year. Obviously you want a game changer off the bench if your starters aren't getting it done.