devilsheat25
02-02-2012, 12:08 AM
He is but then again I can't stand him.

Raps18-19 Champ
02-02-2012, 12:09 AM
He's right.

Phenomenonsense
02-02-2012, 12:11 AM
He's overrated if anyone thinks he's the best PF in the league.

Master Mind
02-02-2012, 12:11 AM
Relax OP Barkley said he used the wrong word.

thedfactor
02-02-2012, 12:24 AM
I somewhat agree, but he's way over hyped more than overrated.

Slug3
02-02-2012, 12:27 AM
I somewhat agree, but he's way over hyped more than overrated.

I agree with this. Wont say overrated, but is overly hyped.

MagicBucsSox
02-02-2012, 12:28 AM
Love>griffin

iFYouSeekAmy
02-02-2012, 12:29 AM
Over hyped, which leads to extreme claims then earning the status of being overrated. **** the media.

NYY 26 to 7
02-02-2012, 12:29 AM
I think he's overrated as well. I think too often people automatically look at the potential of a really good young player and talk him up to be that guy now. No doubt Griffin is great and I think will reach that full potential but he isn't there yet.

Avenged
02-02-2012, 12:32 AM
Agreed.

Still good and up-and-coming but overrated nonetheless. 10 best player according to ESPN and I take it he's only went up higher in rank this season.

Sadds The Gr8
02-02-2012, 12:35 AM
this is pretty old...

CB29
02-02-2012, 12:35 AM
He's still exceptional considering its only his second year in the league playing. But no doubt kevin love is more polished as a player at this moment and i would say so is lamarcus aldridge. Blake's athleticism helps his offensive game at this stage in his career since most pf's are nowhere close to him athletically. Blake's game is more flash than finesse at this point but that doesn't mean that it isn't effective. I also agree with barkley than he doesn't command a double yet in the post but if blake can improve in that regard then watch out man.

John Walls Era
02-02-2012, 12:36 AM
Yeah he might be. People easily put him in the top 3, but if you take away his marketability, I would rather have at least 3 PFs come playoff time. Is he going to be great? Probably, but I thought he was rated a bit too highly last year.

silvTeg98
02-02-2012, 12:45 AM
i agree with sir charles

Lidz
02-02-2012, 12:49 AM
He is.

blahblahyoutoo
02-02-2012, 12:50 AM
i agree. yeah, he's mostly hops and athleticism.

STAT1
02-02-2012, 12:55 AM
Have you ever actually seen Blake Griffin make a jump shot?

lavilevi23
02-02-2012, 01:00 AM
He is. ESPN ranked him a top 10 player in the NBA. A lot of people said he was the best PF in the game. Most of what he does at an elite level is dunk,jump & run. He doesn't play great or even good defense. Doesn't have a solid midrange jumpshot let alone a 3 point shot. Not a great passer and a horrid FT shooter.
Right now I'd take Love, Aldridge, Gasol and Bosh over him easily.

Tmath
02-02-2012, 01:06 AM
He is over celebrated. He does a dunk and everyone is saying best dunk ever, he does a simple dunk over tiny car and he wins the dunk contest, he is apart of the NBA hype machine. He is an exciting player but he is being handed stardom without earning it.

BigBongTheory
02-02-2012, 01:19 AM
he is over-rated, or over-hyped, whichever one you allow your body and mind to believe...also, "the greatest dunk ever" can't really even be put into category of a dunk. it's like the mozgov dunk, it wasn't a dunk..it was a jump higher then the rim and throw the ball through the hoop without touching the rim at all kind of dunk i guess.

ayuntalo
02-02-2012, 01:20 AM
Yup. OVERRATED!

meanwhile, Blake is a good player..but not a SUPERSTAR like the media says

MetroMan
02-02-2012, 01:20 AM

I do not know what is slower

Blake's jumpshot

shaq freethrow

or,

Charles's thought process

lakersfan01
02-02-2012, 01:33 AM
How's that? I think Griffin is pretty damn skilled and freakishly athletic, I don't know that I would trade him for anyone actually.

KingOf215
02-02-2012, 01:34 AM
He's overrated because he's exciting to watch. There are obviously many points of Blake's games he needs to work on, but who cares when he posterizes people the way he does.

Barkley is right, but whatever. I'd rather watch Blake Griffin play than Tim Duncan any day of the week.

lakersfan01
02-02-2012, 01:36 AM
21.1 ppg, 11.1 rpg, 3.0 apg, 51.8 % fg. Beast.

Hawkeye15
02-02-2012, 01:37 AM
21.1 ppg, 11.1 rpg, 3.0 apg, 51.8 % fg. Beast.

25.5, 13.5, are better.

LA_Raiders
02-02-2012, 01:38 AM
Agree, He is just Hype...

mttwlsn16
02-02-2012, 01:43 AM
blake sucks. amnesty him

topdog
02-02-2012, 01:46 AM
He is good and has the potential to be great, but he is limited currently. Charles is right on in saying he needs to work on his offense. I think the term he was looking for is "over-hyped."

mttwlsn16
02-02-2012, 01:46 AM
He is. ESPN ranked him a top 10 player in the NBA. A lot of people said he was the best PF in the game. Most of what he does at an elite level is dunk,jump & run. He doesn't play great or even good defense. Doesn't have a solid midrange jumpshot let alone a 3 point shot. Not a great passer and a horrid FT shooter.
Right now I'd take Love, Aldridge, Gasol and Bosh over him easily.

:eyebrow:

avging roughly 4 APG for his career thusfar. he can pass
i will say overrated bc he does play zero D for the most part, and his midrange could use work. but to say he isnt a solid passer is incorrect

lavilevi23
02-02-2012, 01:54 AM
ok I'll give him that. But all my other points are correct.

waveycrockett
02-02-2012, 02:05 AM
If I needed to build a team to compete just for this year I would take

Love
Gasol
Dirk
LA
Amar'e

over him

lavilevi23
02-02-2012, 02:06 AM
And he flops a lot.

lavilevi23
02-02-2012, 02:07 AM

Love
Gasol
Dirk
LA
Amar'e

over him

What about Bosh?

dwilly4rilly
02-02-2012, 02:10 AM
and he flops a lot.

+1000

Lakers + Giants
02-02-2012, 02:11 AM

Love
Gasol
Dirk
LA
Amar'e

over him

Griffin IS overrated but he's played way better than Gasol, Amare and especially Dirk.

Tmath
02-02-2012, 02:19 AM
He better hope his athleticism stays because when he loses it he won't be very good.

Lakers4ItAll
02-02-2012, 02:28 AM
I agree w/ Chuck, Blake is a great dunker (even tho his dunk over the car was weak) but he isn't the best pf by any means

KingPosey
02-02-2012, 02:30 AM
Blake is SO ****ing good, and his ceiling is SO ****ing high, if he is overrated, it isnt by much. Love has an advantage in polish and stats, but Blake evens that out with athleticism and game CHANGING plays.

tebowtime15
02-02-2012, 02:35 AM
Not overrated and its not his fault he's overhyped. This is his second season technically but he was screwed with the lockout like my boy tebow. He's only 22 with a jump shot on the way if you actually watch him play. He does play zero defense but who does in the NBA anymore until playoffs. Averaging a double double isn't just hops. And by the way he just had 31 and 14 tonight.

shep33
02-02-2012, 02:36 AM
I'm a Laker fan... and he is not overrated. I like BG, however, he still has a lot of work to do, but he's still young. Kid is a beast

CousinsEvansDUO
02-02-2012, 02:42 AM
FG% does not matter if the only type of shot you ever make is a dunk. Learn some offensive skills before you start calling someone an elite player. Maybe you can start with a jumpshot and work from there.

Wisdom Listens
02-02-2012, 02:57 AM
Blake is SO ****ing good, and his ceiling is SO ****ing high, if he is overrated, it isnt by much. Love has an advantage in polish and stats, but Blake evens that out with athleticism and game CHANGING plays.

Game changing plays like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoLS0t6wzcs

OaklandsFinest
02-02-2012, 03:04 AM
Blake Griffin might be the most over rated player I've seen in a long time!! I mean damn dunkers are a dime a dozen, not to say he's not a great dunker. But let's be honest that dunk on Perk was COOL, but wasn't greatest of all time by any means. His hame is SUPER basic, no jumper, no D, a decent handle for his size. If I am the Clippers I push a Griffin and pieces for Howard and a pick..

OaklandsFinest
02-02-2012, 03:05 AM
You want to know why we had a lockout? people betting too much money on upside opposed to what is actually happening. Thats why we have the bad contracts, and max deals for players who never earn em.

Spiggity_ace
02-02-2012, 03:23 AM
id take aldridge and maybe love ahead of him, but thats about it, griffins overhyped but hes a great player, i dont like how people keep critisizing him, has he done anything wrong?

hes a good person on and off the court too as far as i know

ramz.n
02-02-2012, 03:32 AM
its like that for any rising star..they start off as being underrated in the league..and over time they become overrated..blake griffin is explosive and is a very good pf..but offensively he needs to develop a shot..and hes gotta work on his free throw shooting because if he expects to play around the rim and dunk hes going to be fouled often and if they cant convert from the line that could make a huge difference every game..same could be said for deandre jordan.

Shlumpledink
02-02-2012, 03:43 AM
he didn't say anything wrong.

MickeyMgl
02-02-2012, 04:17 AM
He's overrated if anyone thinks he's the best PF in the league.

This, but many people think like Shaq, which seems to be that the most exciting player is the best player.

Evolution23
02-02-2012, 07:35 AM
Love > Blake

unwantedplayer
02-02-2012, 08:02 AM
And he flops a lot.

What about Bosh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h60uviwKC0

He115ing
02-02-2012, 12:27 PM
The problem with Blake is that he relies too much on his athleticism. Most of his plays are dunks. He can rely on his athleticism for now but sooner or later he is going to have to develop his jumpshot and his post game, as well as increase his free thow precentage.

sep11ie
02-02-2012, 12:40 PM
Chuckster is right.

iliketurtles24
02-02-2012, 12:44 PM
a bit over rated, but coming from a big market who isnt?

ghettosean
02-02-2012, 12:54 PM
Blake is overrated/overhyped....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuvtfNKjA1o

As soon as I saw this video I knew which one was Blake Griffin and who was Kevin Love based on the turnovers. Blake is very athletic and can do amazing things but he can't command double teams yet in the post and Kevin Love is the best PF in the league. Blake can get by Love but he's not there yet.

Sly Guy
02-02-2012, 12:55 PM
he'll develop his game in time. Right now for year #2 in the league, I think it's ok that he's relying on his athleticism. That doesn't make him the best PF in the league, but he's got all the tools to become it.

Rockice_8
02-02-2012, 01:02 PM
I agree with Barkley. Slightly overrated but still top 3-4 at his position. I agree he needs to improve his offense because he's pretty limited when outside the paint. Defense is average as well and could stand to be upgraded. Rebounding is very good and he's shoots a good % but could be more efficient.

I admit I don't watch him all that closely (East coast guy) but I don't recall him being consistently doubled in the post as Kenny Smith claims.

ZHawk1123
02-02-2012, 01:06 PM

Plenty. of. times.

airforceones25
02-02-2012, 01:11 PM
I get so frustrated reading people's comments. Lol

If someone wants to argue that Kevin Love is better than Blake i'll give you that even though I still would disagree.

It drives me absolutely nuts when people say LaMarcus Aldridge is a better player than Blake. 6 years in the league and LA is just starting to put up the numbers Griffin did in his rookie season and now 2nd year. Griffin is a better passer and rebounder than LA. Everyone knows LaMarcus Aldridge is underrated but this is due to the fact he lacks a strong media market. He doesn't gather as much attention so he goes often unnoticed by the masses. Just because it's the cool thing to do by anointing the unknown commodity doesn't mean it's the correct thing. Sure if he played in Los Angeles he would be overhyped as well. However saying he's better than Blake is a bit of a stretch to me. Blake is a much better playmaker and rebounder. Simple as that..

Blake is continuously getting compared to all these players who have been in the league for sometime now. People forget that this is Blake's second season and is still just a baby. His game will continue to evolve. His work ethic won't allow him not to have a jump shot or improved free throws. When that comes, good night. No one will have any argument of being a better player.

last stand
02-02-2012, 01:30 PM
he's right. the guy has below average touch on his shots, no post game, no defense

he's an ok passer and a fantastic highlight reel. thats about it. his rebounding is also solid but everything else is average to below average

ghettosean
02-02-2012, 01:33 PM
I get so frustrated reading people's comments. Lol

If someone wants to argue that Kevin Love is better than Blake i'll give you that even though I still would disagree.

It drives me absolutely nuts when people say LaMarcus Aldridge is a better player than Blake. 6 years in the league and LA is just starting to put up the numbers Griffin did in his rookie season and now 2nd year. Griffin is a better passer and rebounder than LA. Everyone knows LaMarcus Aldridge is underrated but this is due to the fact he lacks a strong media market. He doesn't gather as much attention so he goes often unnoticed by the masses. Just because it's the cool thing to do by anointing the unknown commodity doesn't mean it's the correct thing. Sure if he played in Los Angeles he would be overhyped as well. However saying he's better than Blake is a bit of a stretch to me. Blake is a much better playmaker and rebounder. Simple as that..

Blake is continuously getting compared to all these players who have been in the league for sometime now. People forget that this is Blake's second season and is still just a baby. His game will continue to evolve. His work ethic won't allow him not to have a jump shot or improved free throws. When that comes, good night. No one will have any argument of being a better player.
I get your frustration but if people are comparing him to other power forwards in the league what is your beef. If you put up a thread and ask is Blake the best 2nd year PF in the NBA today comparing to other PF currently in there 2nd year in the league you will get an astounding yes. If they want to compare him to Bosh or others that's legit Bosh, Love, Aldridge are all PF's.

I think it's obvious that Blake has the potential to be the best PF in the league but right now he is not only because I think (and his stats show this) that he is a turnover machine and this is where I mark him down. He is playing fantastic for someone in there 2nd year in the league but as far as him being the best I would have to disagree and as far as turnovers for PF's he is currently tied with Amare Stoudemire for worst in the league that stat alone stops me from putting him at the top.

He will grow in the league and I don't doubt he will be unanimously called the best PF in the league at some point.

ZHawk1123
02-02-2012, 01:34 PM
Blake > Love by the end of their careers

ghettosean
02-02-2012, 01:40 PM
Blake > Love by the end of their careers
I can agree with that.

ZHawk1123
02-02-2012, 01:43 PM
I can agree with that.

Yeah, Blake just offers so much more upside than Love. He's in his second year in the league. His shot is improving, as well as his post moves and overall basketball knowledge.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-02-2012, 01:46 PM
more like overhyped

smith&wesson
02-02-2012, 01:47 PM
the kids a beast... disagree with barkley here.

bulldog312
02-02-2012, 02:36 PM
He is a beast, but he is still overrated. The two aren't exclusive.

DChibes
02-02-2012, 02:41 PM
"I wouldnt double team him" -Barkley....If Charles Barkley was the opposing coach vs the Clippers, Blake would have 60points

Cfrey
02-02-2012, 02:42 PM
Charles is ****ing right. Although I like his commercials, Griffin needs to get of his ****ing high horse

dodgersuck
02-02-2012, 02:42 PM
All Griffin can do is dunk. Love is a much better all around PF

Kingz4L
02-02-2012, 02:57 PM
Give me Kevin Love and Ill give you Blake Griffin and his Dunk DVD collection any day..

tredigs
02-02-2012, 03:55 PM
Agreed.

Still good and up-and-coming but overrated nonetheless. 10 best player according to ESPN and I take it he's only went up higher in rank this season.

Not exactly; that was a projection piece that they had concerning who they thought WOULD be top ten in the coming season. I think it was a very fair guess to have him around ~10.

Love Blake Griffin's game and fully understand how hyped he is, even if it is too much at times. I'm not a victim of the media and frankly don't give a **** how much they do or don't hype a guy - it's not going to change my opinion of a guy (unlike most of you). Looking forward to seeing that Cp3/BG synergy grow in the next year+. It's going to be a spectacle.

tredigs
02-02-2012, 03:58 PM
he's right. the guy has below average touch on his shots, no post game, no defense

he's an ok passer and a fantastic highlight reel. thats about it. his rebounding is also solid but everything else is average to below average

No post game? He has incredible footwork and ridiculous post moves. Defense still needs plenty of work, absolutely. But it's better than last year. Very solid/willing passer for a big and also has pretty nice range for a big, including good use of the backboard in his mid-range post game.

Do you watch them play?

Reptar
02-02-2012, 03:59 PM
His commercials are really bad

FriedTofuz
02-02-2012, 04:14 PM
Barkley is my favourite TNT analyst, he speaks the truth and common sense. Griffen is super overated becaue of his athleticism and dunking abilities. Id take Kevin Love over Griffen.

jiggin
02-02-2012, 04:15 PM
I think he is correct

b_russ
02-02-2012, 04:54 PM
I don wanna see durdy underwear on TV!