PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Durant disses Blake Griffin dunk

nickdymez
02-01-2012, 04:28 PM
DALLAS -- Not everyone is so fired up about Blake Griffin's dunk over Oklahoma City big man Kendrick Perkins on Monday.

The Clippers star went down the lane, elevated, made contact with Perkins and then threw the ball down into the basket, the fingers on his outstretched hand grazing the rim. The play has been the talk of the league.

"I have no appreciation for it at all," said Perkins' Thunder teammate Kevin Durant. "It was a layup, I think. He threw the ball in and got fouled and made his free throw, so it was three points at the end of the day, no matter how it happened, how it went in the basket. I really wasn't impressed. He finished it. So what? We've moved on."

Mavericks swingman Vince Carter, who is still capable of putting a big man on a poster at the ripe old age of 35, disagreed, calling Griffin's dunk "amazing."

"That just shows the true athlete that he is," Carter said. "I look at and analyze things different. You got to think about the body control and what it takes to really, not only to just do that, but the impact you take from Kendrick Perkins, first of all, is a lot. For you to still have the body control to finish is second to none, because there's not a lot of people that can really do that."

Carter put Durant on the short list of guys in the league right now with that type of body control. Mavs big man Brendan Haywood, the victim of a vicious Durant and-1 dunk during the West finals last season, can testify to that.

But Durant seems to feel that dunk doesn't get its due.

"I knew that wasn't going to get attention because we never get attention like that," Durant said. "We're not an L.A. team or a Chicago team or a Miami team. All our plays get thrown under the radar."

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7529212/oklahoma-city-thunder-kevin-durant-not-fired-los-angeles-clippers-blake-griffin-dunk?eleven=twelve

I guess he has to stand by his teammate.

nickdymez
02-01-2012, 04:30 PM
He sounds whinny too..

Sadds The Gr8
02-01-2012, 04:30 PM
hilarious that this is the same guy that ran from under the basket when Griffin went up for another slam later in the game. he mad.

DLeeicious
02-01-2012, 04:31 PM
Kind of comes off all "woe is me" there

mjt20mik
02-01-2012, 04:32 PM
lol.. Blake's no VC tho

CudiOnMyiPod
02-01-2012, 04:32 PM
His was three points at the end of the day no matter what happened. Kevin Durant's was two points at the end of the day no matter what happened.

Of course Durant isn't going to marvel over his teammate getting f'd. Doesn't mean it wasn't great though.

Sadds The Gr8
02-01-2012, 04:33 PM
lol.. Blake's no VC tho

he probably doesn't have his creativity, but when it comes to in-game dunking, it's definitely close.

nickdymez
02-01-2012, 04:33 PM
lol.. Blake's no VC tho

Here we go again

Confusious
02-01-2012, 04:34 PM
Well said Durant. It was largely unimpressive.

I'd be impressed if basketball was as violent as hockey. But basketball is an extremely soft game.

ESaady
02-01-2012, 04:35 PM
It's always fun to see Blake Griffin dunk, but IMO this dunk has been way overhyped.

mjt20mik
02-01-2012, 04:36 PM
Here we go again

:)

mjt20mik
02-01-2012, 04:37 PM
he probably doesn't have his creativity, but when it comes to in-game dunking, it's definitely close.

He reminds me more of a Shawn Kemp type dunker.

beasted86
02-01-2012, 04:39 PM
He just mad.

Bullsfan22
02-01-2012, 04:47 PM
Yeah, he's just taking up for his teammate but towards the end he sounds like he's whinning over attention.

valade16
02-01-2012, 04:48 PM
It's always fun to see Blake Griffin dunk, but IMO this dunk has been way overhyped.

Agreed. It's to be expected. Remember when everyone went gaga at last years dunk contest because Griffin jumped over the front bumber of a kia?

That dunk had "meh" written all over it.

mttwlsn16
02-01-2012, 04:48 PM
hilarious that this is the same guy that ran from under the basket when Griffin went up for another slam later in the game. he mad.

hahaha yup :hide:

Iodine
02-01-2012, 04:54 PM
I understand this is apparently a big deal for some, but really can someone please rationally explain why I should give a ****?

C-Rod
02-01-2012, 05:09 PM
but Blake is the big dunker in the NBA now, so anything he does is over-hyped....This is no different from the days of the Doctor, to Michael to Kobe and now Blake.....Too be honest, if anyone can show me a dunk where a player picks up the ball with one hand while dribbling,(doesn't use the other hand) than cradles the ball than rises over a player and dunks it, aka, the cradle dunk by Julius Erving over Michael Cooper than I would be impressed !!!!! No other player in the history of the NBA has hands the size of the Doctor !!!!!

Evolution23
02-01-2012, 05:11 PM
Shut the **** up Durant. Stop trying to convince yourself it wasn't impressive. 20,000 people at Staples center disagreed with you, and millions around the world also liked it, so your opinion doesn't count.

MagicBucsSox
02-01-2012, 05:17 PM
The lebron dunk over Damon jones was the beter version of the blake/Perkins dunk

MagicBucsSox
02-01-2012, 05:18 PM
Durant is only impressed by jumpers

onlythisfar41
02-01-2012, 05:21 PM
I get it, he's sticking up for his teammate, but I does come off as a little whiny.

Raph12
02-01-2012, 05:25 PM
In comparison, this is what Perkins had to say about it: http://www.hoopsworld.com/kendrick-perkins-talks-blake-griffin-dunk

"Well, it happens,” said Perkins. “At the end of the day if you’re a shot blocker, you’re going to get dunked on. It was a great play that he made. Obviously I wish I wasn’t in it, but it was a great play that he made. Definitely.”

There was some debate among journalists while waiting for the Thunder locker room to open. Did Griffin initiate contact with his off hand? Should it have been an offensive foul?

“It was a clean dunk,” said Perkins.

Kendrick didn’t get a great look at the play as it unfolded.

“I didn’t know what happened,” said Perkins. “I just knew I was trying to get to the rotation. Our defensive coverage had broke down and that’s what it was.”

Very humble, very respectable... Durant's just mad because he lost. :D

wjmoffatt
02-01-2012, 05:25 PM
Doesn't change the fact either that Blake Griffin is the MOST OVERRATED player in the NBA. No D, no jump shot, wow you can dunk! At least Vince and JRich could shot the ball!

He115ing
02-01-2012, 05:27 PM
Ohh...cmon Durant don't be a hater. I mean I understand he is not going to say anything good about the dunk since, his team mate got dunked on, but that was one of the filthiest dunks I have ever seen. I would rather have KD not say anything because now he sounds like a punk and a hater.

BSardogan
02-01-2012, 05:33 PM
He reminds me more of a Shawn Kemp type dunker.

Your sig made my day. Genius. :clap:

And KD, as much I like him, is really being unrespectful here in my opinion. It's like saying MJ switching 2 hands in mid-air was just a lay-up and it was just 2 points, or the free-throw line dunks he made were 'just dunks'. When someone pulls off a move that requires so much athleticism, body control and determination you got to just take a bow and give the person some credit. Now he seems to just be whining about how he's playing for a small-market team and never gets the credit he deserves. If that's how you feel, you shouldn't have resigned in OKC last offseason, but don't diss others for it. That's just sad. :/

numba1CHANGsta
02-01-2012, 05:38 PM
Haterz gunna Hate

SteveNash
02-01-2012, 05:39 PM
I don't see what the huge difference is between Griffin's dunk and Durant's dunk on Haywood. Besides Durant looking like a thug loser after his dunk. Durant seems extremely fake.

uptownfan
02-01-2012, 05:42 PM
I understand that he is trying to defend his teammate but seriously? It was a dunk. The fact that he refuses to call it a dunk shows how personally he took it. If he says yea it was a great dunk, then at least he'd be owning up to it.

Iodine
02-01-2012, 05:44 PM
^Yeah the guy who wears backpacks to press conferences and kisses his mon at half court is clearly fake

Chronz
02-01-2012, 05:47 PM
Doesn't change the fact either that Blake Griffin is the MOST OVERRATED player in the NBA. No D, no jump shot, wow you can dunk! At least Vince and JRich could shot the ball!
Its better to dunk than shoot

Tom Stone
02-01-2012, 05:54 PM
They should have took the high road.....and said, hell of a play......and made it look like no big Deal............Looking petty was the road they choose.........Insane Dunk!

mttwlsn16
02-01-2012, 05:55 PM
ya at least perk was classy about it saying, oh well **** happens great play move on.

Gram
02-01-2012, 05:57 PM
It was a great play. :shrug:

Denver-boy
02-01-2012, 06:00 PM
durant this kid is obnoxious, more annoying than lebron. like stop crying your team lost!! and the news is about how perkins got dunked on, stop being in denial, it was a good dunk have sportsmanship, being a brat one national tv is a bad rep. BLAKE DUNK ON THIS CRYBABY FOR ME!!

MTar786
02-01-2012, 06:05 PM
blake griffin may not be the dunker vince was.. but blakes in game dunking is by far the best of any player SINCE vince

Carey
02-01-2012, 06:09 PM
Lmao! the spin people try to put on things these days. It was a great play no doubt but was he supposed to droll over his teammate getting dunked on? He was obviously a little pissed his team got completely dominated by the Clips. Dissed his dunk? no but sometimes less is more. He should have just gave a token answer because when you dont threads like this happen...

knicks=love
02-01-2012, 06:09 PM

this

Sportfan
02-01-2012, 06:10 PM
Is this the first time Durant has ever been pissed?

are people actually ******** on durant for being a crybaby? FOR ****S SAKE GTFO speds

knicks=love
02-01-2012, 06:10 PM
durant is a little *****. it wasn't a layup, he grazed the rim

utl768
02-01-2012, 06:16 PM
oh please

i see this dude on espn get just as much coverage as everyone else

Teufelshunde4
02-01-2012, 06:17 PM
Shut the **** up Durant. Stop trying to convince yourself it wasn't impressive. 20,000 people at Staples center disagreed with you, and millions around the world also liked it, so your opinion doesn't count.

Well since Durant plays in the NAB his opinion counts more then anyone on a message board. Something the Clippers need to learn is that dunks only gain 2 points unless fouled and the FT converted.... Some how after seeing several Clippers games this year Blake and Jordan both see to think otherwise..

It was a good not great dunk...Clips won and thats all that counts..

kylem4711
he is being as big of a baby as cp3 can be

THE MTL
He's just sticking up for his teammate. Anyway, Kendrick Perkins made the wrong decision losing all that weight this summer. Its hurting his numbers as well.

ghettosean
02-01-2012, 06:20 PM
Honestly the fact that he got it to go down is what was amazing but I agree this is overhyped badly

Raph12
02-01-2012, 06:28 PM
durant this kid is obnoxious, more annoying than lebron. like stop crying your team lost!! and the news is about how perkins got dunked on, stop being in denial, it was a good dunk have sportsmanship, being a brat one national tv is a bad rep. BLAKE DUNK ON THIS CRYBABY FOR ME!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ceGMRxMIZrI#t=137s

He tried... Durant ran for his life.

Bruno
02-01-2012, 06:28 PM
hey Durant, UMAD?

:laugh2:

Blakes fingers touched the rim, therefore it's a dunk. And the Thunder aren't under the radar. They made the WC finals, have an MVP candidate, and have been talk of the league for years. durants bein a little dramatic here. just congratulate the play and move on.

pacman16
02-01-2012, 06:29 PM
weird, this is the amazing superman dunk that had everyone going nuts an dmade dwight win the comp.......... (he threw it in the new with force) I as well don't thinks its a "dunk" but its pretty beastly to watch. I like the play but like some have said, don't think it deserves this much talk... also griffen has had some nicer dunks

steviefranchise
02-01-2012, 06:34 PM
To be honest this "so called dunk" was way overhyped and I agree with Durant. All the players that were tweeting and raving about this were not playing against Blake that night and if they were they would be saying exactly what Durant said.

Swashcuff
02-01-2012, 06:44 PM
People who are saying it wasn't a dunk and hating on it are plain and simple foolish. Whether or not it was overhyped is another thing but I'd LOVE to see how many players in the league could actually do that with such ferocity. IMO doing it the way Blake did it increases the level of difficulty in a major way.

KD should have just remained humble about it and move on.

Ezio
02-01-2012, 06:58 PM
I have never liked KD's off court attitude. Like last year, he was complaining about not getting any MVP love from the media when the race was easily between Howard/Rose/Lebron.

KingPosey
02-01-2012, 07:05 PM
Ya, cuz no one ever talks about Westbrook or you, KD....

Skittles
02-01-2012, 07:07 PM
I agree with him, its being so over hyped.

TimbaWolvez
02-01-2012, 07:18 PM
Might have been the best layup I have ever seen. He should be practicing on a jump shot or playing some sort of defense. Most overrated player in the NBA.

Swashcuff
02-01-2012, 07:21 PM
:laugh2:

People calling it a lay up. I'd like to see how many NBA players can "lay it up" like that. WAY harder to do than dunking the basketball.

TimbaWolvez
02-01-2012, 07:25 PM
He threw it in. Hands touched the rim after the ball went through the hoop. Sounds like a layup to me. BG will be lucky to be half the player Durant is.

Bruno
02-01-2012, 07:37 PM
He threw it in. Hands touched the rim after the ball went through the hoop. Sounds like a layup to me. BG will be lucky to be half the player Durant is.

sorry, but do you expect his hands to touch the rim before the ball goes through the hoop?

Swashcuff
02-01-2012, 07:38 PM

It was a dunk. If you don't know what a dunk is it is when a player forcefully powers a ball down into the basket. That's why the two words slam and dunk are used together. Unlike the use of the words "lay" and "up" which basically means a player lays the ball in an upward movement into the basket.

You don't have to touch the rim to make it a slam dunk, its actually MUCH harder to convert that way than a traditional touch the rim dunk.

You sound bitter? Did Blake posterize you at some point in your life?

I also like how you knock his mid range game and his D when he's one of the best rebounding and passing big men around not to mention his work ethic ball handling ability positive demeanor. But hey all he does is dunk right?

Getting UGGLA
02-01-2012, 07:40 PM
Two words: Shawn Kemp

TimbaWolvez
02-01-2012, 07:56 PM
sorry, but do you expect his hands to touch the rim before the ball goes through the hoop?

Simultaneously. Not 3 seconds later. I could do a layup off the backboard and touch the rim. Doesn't make it a dunk.

TimbaWolvez
02-01-2012, 07:59 PM
It was a dunk. If you don't know what a dunk is it is when a player forcefully powers a ball down into the basket. That's why the two words slam and dunk are used together. Unlike the use of the words "lay" and "up" which basically means a player lays the ball in an upward movement into the basket.

You don't have to touch the rim to make it a slam dunk, its actually MUCH harder to convert that way than a traditional touch the rim dunk.

You sound bitter? Did Blake posterize you at some point in your life?

I also like how you knock his mid range game and his D when he's one of the best rebounding and passing big men around not to mention his work ethic ball handling ability positive demeanor. But hey all he does is dunk right?

He's the 3rd or 4th best player on CP3's team. I mean the Clippers. Id be a good passer to if I was passing to CP3. Mo. Caron. Chauncey. Just sayin'. Rebounding is jumping and we all know he can jump. No suprise there.

Swashcuff
02-01-2012, 08:04 PM
He's the 3rd or 4th best player on CP3's team. I mean the Clippers. Id be a good passer to if I was passing to CP3. Mo. Caron. Chauncey. Just sayin'. Rebounding is jumping and we all know he can jump. No suprise there.

You're not making a good representation of PSD's solid Timberwolves fan base :pity:

Name me 1 rookie PF in the history (shouldn't really be asking you this since you clearly don't know much about the game) of the game to ever average 22, 12 and 3. He did that without having CP3, Mo or Chauncey around.

fresh prince
02-01-2012, 08:18 PM

Lmao! I noticed this too when watching live Durant was outta there!@!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSk-rOSoQyg

Im not going out like Kendrick he probably said to self while sprinting to the free throw line.

Sota4Ever
02-01-2012, 08:30 PM
Dunking is the most overrated thing in the NBA. Blake is barely a top 5 PF. Way to much hype for someone that just dunks the ball in the hoop.

02-01-2012, 08:32 PM

Although this is sort of drastic, i do think that Chris Paul's addition, even though the clippers have become a solid team, griffin has taken a step down to possibly 4th/3rd best player on the team. I mean his offensive/defensive rebounding is good, and his ability is dunk is ridiculous, but he has no offense, no real go to move. He has been trying to add a mid range game, but it just looks pretty weak at the moment, and his post moves are quite average, where he relies more on his physical stength rather than foot work (see harrington repeatedly pulling the chair under griffin). So when you have chris paul, who is the first option, chauncey billups surprisingly but definitely their 2nd scoring option, the 3rd is the a battle between Jordan, M.Williams or griffin, not sure really.

Griffin is in his sophomore year in the end of the day, and he will get better and turn into the go-to guy in years to come

5ass
02-01-2012, 08:41 PM
Durant always complains about not getting enough exposure because he's in OKC, thats not the first time he does it. Honestly its part of the reason i dont like the guy as much as most people do.
Its really not even true, i remember when they had a link in the NBA home page about what he carries in his back pack, the thunder are always in the news.
But i guess if he doesnt like it he shouldnt have signed that extension.

Atleast give griffin credit, that was a nasty dunk. He comes off as jealous in his quote.

5ass
02-01-2012, 08:47 PM

lol this is so ironic, because kevin love led the league in rebounds last season, and ur a timberwolves fan

Swashcuff
02-01-2012, 08:49 PM
lol this is so ironic, because kevin love led the league in rebounds last season, and ur a timberwolves fan

Kevin Love doesn't even jump as well as Blake and yet he's a better rebounder so he clearly defies that idiotic logic.

5ass
02-01-2012, 08:49 PM
You're not making a good representation of PSD's solid Timberwolves fan base :pity:

Name me 1 rookie PF in the history (shouldn't really be asking you this since you clearly don't know much about the game) of the game to ever average 22, 12 and 3. He did that without having CP3, Mo or Chauncey around.

Tim duncan i think? either way, thats still a great accomplishment knowing duncan is one of the best, if not the best PF in nba history.

5ass
02-01-2012, 08:50 PM
Kevin Love doesn't even jump as well as Blake and yet he's a better rebounder so he clearly defies that idiotic logic.

u would think a timberwolves fan knows better than to make that statement

Swashcuff
02-01-2012, 08:53 PM
Tim duncan i think? either way, thats still a great accomplishment knowing duncan is one of the best, if not the best PF in nba history.

Nope. Blake is the only one to ever accomplish such a feat. TD was the better player as a rookie however.

Blake was really close to being 22, 12 and 4 as well.

TimbaWolvez
02-01-2012, 08:55 PM
I'd say it makes KLove look more impressive. We all know he is better then the almighty Blakey poo. Should probs leave KLove out of this.

Sota4Ever
02-01-2012, 08:56 PM
Love is a better rebounder. He uses timing and strength not just jumping ability

Raps08-09 Champ
02-01-2012, 09:01 PM
This dunk is over hyped and over rated. But it was pretty sick.

Wade>You
02-01-2012, 09:02 PM
"I have no appreciation for it at all," said Perkins' Thunder teammate Kevin Durant. "It was a layup, I think. He threw the ball in and got fouled and made his free throw, so it was three points at the end of the day, no matter how it happened, how it went in the basket. I really wasn't impressed. He finished it. So what? We've moved on."This is the same dumb **** that said Bosh was just a fake tough guy when Bosh has never once led anyone to believe he was a tough guy in the first ****ing place.

"I knew that wasn't going to get attention because we never get attention like that," Durant said. "We're not an L.A. team or a Chicago team or a Miami team. All our plays get thrown under the radar." Thunder are one of the most watched teams in the L, this guy is a giant ****ing idiot.

There, I didn't dodge the ****ing word filter. Happy? **** **** *****

Bruno
02-01-2012, 09:04 PM
Simultaneously. Not 3 seconds later. I could do a layup off the backboard and touch the rim. Doesn't make it a dunk.

three seconds? griffin spend a total of 0.9 seconds in the air, according to espn.

Swashcuff
02-01-2012, 09:07 PM
Love is a better rebounder. He uses timing and strength not just jumping ability

No one is saying no but your friend said rebounding is just jumping, I don't know why you're even trying to back him when Love proves that idiotic theory wrong. Blake also doesn't just jump for rebounds just like Love he positions himself well and crashes the board. Love is just otherworldly in that regard however.

Jarvo
02-01-2012, 09:09 PM

+1 Blake Griffin is overhyped as a player as well ESPN hypes him up everytime he dunks or catches an alley :hide:

BRICKCITYPIMP12
02-01-2012, 09:50 PM
ok..i would just like to say this.................

i have always been a huge fan of griffin... bbuuttt.....that dunk wasent all that.
im just saying

i mean he MOS. DEF. aint no vc and hell i liked some KD dunks from last season vs. the mavs(ithink it was vs. them) where he threw that **** DOWN!!

im more impressed with that one 360 layup griffin had once b4...**** was nice, seeing as how big men aint doing **** like that very often.

Zefflin
02-01-2012, 10:15 PM
Even VCs on my side on this one.

avrpatsfan
02-01-2012, 10:30 PM
KD sounds like a little *****, very uncharacteristic of him.

Jsoul101
02-01-2012, 10:38 PM
KD protecting teammate, deep down he's impressed :)

John Walls Era
02-01-2012, 10:50 PM
I wanna be bias and say how right Durant is, but I can't. It was an exciting play. But I am not going to crown it the best dunk of all time (not even in top 15).

John Walls Era
02-01-2012, 10:51 PM
KD sounds like a little *****, very uncharacteristic of him.

He seemed like a nice guy, but how well do we really know him. Maybe he hates the Clippers and thinks they're stealing his team's thunder (no pun intended) :shrug:

I said I disagree with Durant, but its about time we see more of this. None of this buddy-buddy garbage.

Chronz
02-02-2012, 12:34 AM
Imagine Blake with Durants length, that dunk would have destroyed the universe, he should be happy it barely got there.

JohnBoy326
02-02-2012, 03:03 AM
I agree with Durant, I've done that before to my friends. Just jump over them and throw the ball at the hoop. Nothing special.

niketas
02-02-2012, 05:39 AM
One of the best layups I've ever seen

Teufelshunde4
02-02-2012, 05:52 AM

Elvin Hayes 28.4 ppg 17.1 rpg 1968-1968 season.... Clearly you dont know much about the history of the game.. Or cared to look...

Swashcuff
02-02-2012, 06:37 AM
Elvin Hayes 28.4 ppg 17.1 rpg 1968-1968 season.... Clearly you dont know much about the history of the game.. Or cared to look...

Don't you ever chastise me about my knowledge of the history of the NBA if YOU don't know your own. Elvin Hayes came into the league as a starting CENTRE. He played that position exclusively his first couple years in the league.

Also Hayes didn't get anywhere near 3 assists per game so your baseless premise just fell on its face.

Learn about your history next time okay pumpkin.

Sssmush
02-02-2012, 06:39 AM
I like the way Durant dunks... he's got that full speed on the run tomahawk down James Worthy thing going on

but yeah, Griffin is dunking with incredible rage and power. body control, yeah, but it's like he lifts himself higher into the air with sheer muscle power. crazy awesome dunk I can just watch that over and over

Sssmush
02-02-2012, 06:42 AM
+1 Blake Griffin is overhyped as a player as well ESPN hypes him up everytime he dunks or catches an alley :hide:

he has a cool name, he has red hair, and he's all American as apple pie. And he dunks like nobody else, might be already the best dunker in history

Swashcuff
02-02-2012, 06:48 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0tc0-NnPdQ&feature=player_detailpage#t=527s

Learn your history okay... Elvin came into the NBA as a C not a PF.