PDA

View Full Version : Jay Bilas' Top 10 Big Men

Corey
02-01-2012, 12:57 AM
College basketball is a guard's game, or so they say until they need a rebound or someone to clog up the middle and block shots. You cannot win at a high level without good guards, but you also cannot win at a high level without quality play in the post. Look at the Final Four teams and NCAA champions of the past. Can you name the teams in that elite group that did not have high-quality frontcourts? Yeah, neither can I.

Based upon performance in college, and with a nod to pro potential, here are my top 10 big men in the country this season:

1. Anthony Davis, Kentucky Wildcats

2. Jared Sullinger, Ohio State Buckeyes

3. Thomas Robinson, Kansas Jayhawks

4. John Henson, North Carolina Tar Heels

5. Meyers Leonard, Illinois Fighting Illini

6. Tyler Zeller, North Carolina

7. Andre Drummond, Connecticut Huskies

8. Mason Plumlee, Duke Blue Devils

9. Ricardo Ratliffe, Missouri Tigers

10. Arnett Moultrie, Mississippi State Bulldogs

There was a blurb for each as well, but it's an insider article so I can't post them.

Thoughts?

AP=MVP
02-01-2012, 07:15 AM
Plumlee and Ratliffe (even though I like him) are overrated

I hate Plumlee and Ratliffe is a product of those amazing guards. Any big that has any game would succeed with Pressey (x2), Denmon, English, and Dixon spreading the floor and passing in to him (which all five are very good passers). Ratliffe gets so many uncontested lay-ups, hence the amazing FG%.

Bravo95
02-01-2012, 09:05 AM
Feels like a dropoff after the first three. Moultrie is tough, though.

Corey
02-01-2012, 11:20 AM
Im surprised he didn't include Royce White.

AP=MVP
02-01-2012, 11:46 AM
Im surprised he didn't include Royce White.

I don't want to be a huge homer, but switch Ratcliffe and White and Mizzou is #1 in the nation and likely undefeated.

PocketKings
02-01-2012, 02:38 PM
Plumlee and Ratliffe (even though I like him) are overrated

I hate Plumlee and Ratliffe is a product of those amazing guards. Any big that has any game would succeed with Pressey (x2), Denmon, English, and Dixon spreading the floor and passing in to him (which all five are very good passers). Ratliffe gets so many uncontested lay-ups, hence the amazing FG%.

Completely agree/disagree with you. I agree that Plumlee is over-rated, but I disagree completely on Ratliffe. I love his presence inside and his presence in the pick-and-roll game for their guards is immense. He also displays a very nice touch around the rim which can't be said for every big guy in college.

I think he's a good defensive presence and there is a lot of pressure for the 1 big in a 4 guard - 1 forward/center alignment because he typically must anchor that defense night in, night out.

Yes, he is the beneficiary of a lot of easy baskets, but at the same time, he is typically for the most part in the right place at the right time, positioning himself through good "flow" movement for those easy baskets.

You can also credit good guard play, but at the same time, he plays a role in their success just as much.

I don't want to be a huge homer, but switch Ratcliffe and White and Mizzou is #1 in the nation and likely undefeated.

I disagree with this sentiment.

The guy I'm surprised not in this list, I've watched a few games of his and his mid-range jumper is just ultra sweet is, Mike Scott, UVA. Ultra nice mid-range game and a pretty good rebounder as well.

AP=MVP
02-01-2012, 03:32 PM
Another guy that has to be on here is Doug McDermott.

AP=MVP
02-01-2012, 03:34 PM
And you may be right PK, its really all preferance.

cubbie92
02-02-2012, 01:42 AM
Give Leonard one more year in the college game to mature and I think he could be at the top of this list eventually.

Spiggity_ace
02-02-2012, 03:28 AM
is perry jones not considered a big man, doesn't he play the 4 in college?

PocketKings
02-02-2012, 05:15 AM
is perry jones not considered a big man, doesn't he play the 4 in college?

Their line-up is a bit different, I don't consider him a 4. I consider him their 3.

Acy as their "5" and Quincy Miller as their "4"

Bravo95
02-02-2012, 08:27 AM
Robinson manhandled Jones in the paint when KU played Baylor.

Corey
02-02-2012, 10:29 AM
Their line-up is a bit different, I don't consider him a 4. I consider him their 3.

Acy as their "5" and Quincy Miller as their "4"

Jones is a 4. They start 3 forwards and 2 guards. They dont have set positions. They rotate defensive and offensive roles depending on the matchup.

Corey
02-02-2012, 10:31 AM
Robinson manhandled Jones in the paint when KU played Baylor.

Sure did. 27 points 14 rebounds if I remember correctly. Him and Tyshawn combined for like 55 points against BU.

PocketKings
02-02-2012, 12:40 PM
Jones is a 4. They start 3 forwards and 2 guards. They dont have set positions. They rotate defensive and offensive roles depending on the matchup.

SCHOOLED by Corey!
What an honor!
:worthy:
:drool:
:love:

:)

All I know is, I love watching them play, but they weird me out with their length. lol.

Corey
02-03-2012, 02:04 AM
They're certainly unique. It's been working to their advantage, but I think there's a few teams that can exploit their weaknesses come March.

AP=MVP
02-03-2012, 05:32 AM
The 3 top Big 12 teams are all so good yet unique at the same time.

KU- traditional 2 posts, shooters on wings, play maker at PG
MU- 4 guards, 3 PG-types, 1 post (and even he is small for post)
BU- 3 guys bigger or as big as Ratliffe in their starting 5

Corey
02-03-2012, 01:24 PM
The 3 top Big 12 teams are all so good yet unique at the same time.

KU- traditional 2 posts, shooters on wings, play maker at PG
MU- 4 guards, 3 PG-types, 1 post (and even he is small for post)
BU- 3 guys bigger or as big as Ratliffe in their starting 5

KU runs more 2 PG than a traditional 1-2 combo. Taylor and Johnson both do a lot of ball handling as well as playing off the ball.

AP=MVP
02-04-2012, 05:06 AM
KU runs more 2 PG than a traditional 1-2 combo. Taylor and Johnson both do a lot of ball handling as well as playing off the ball.

That is true, was thinking more of a Teahan-Releford line-up, my bad Johnson slipped my mind for some reason

Corey
02-04-2012, 10:33 AM
Probably because he's a turnover machine this year, and he's not worth mentioning until he tightens his ****ing handle :pity:

Teahan is our primary guard off the bench, Releford starts the 3.