PDA

View Full Version : Lakers moving away from Howard?

shep33
01-31-2012, 07:42 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7407044/playing-dwight-howard-scenarios

A Lakers trade package would be centered (get it?) around Andrew Bynum, but Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak would have many obstacles to overcome before he could partner Howard with Kobe Bryant. While Bynum legally can be traded straight-up for Howard, it would be difficult for L.A. to provide the Magic with the basketball assets they would be seeking in a deal. Now that Lamar Odom is coming off the Dallas Mavericks' bench, the Lakers' only remaining significant trade asset is Pau Gasol. However, the Lakers are reluctant to part with both Bynum and Gasol, even for Howard.

The Lakers would need to send out an additional $8.3 million in salaries to make room for Turkoglu if the Magic insist on including the forward as part of a package for Howard. Unfortunately, the $8.9 million trade exception the Lakers acquired by dealing Odom to Dallas can't be used for this purpose, since a trade exception would need to be big enough for Turkoglu's entire $11 million salary. It's difficult to envision Kupchak finding a package of Laker players -- short of Gasol -- who would meet the salary requirements and persuade the Magic to pull the trigger.

But the biggest impediment to a Lakers deal isn't related to the trade rules -- it's overcoming the resistance on the part of both teams. Magic owner Rick DeVos has been reluctant to allow his team to lose a second franchise center to the Lakers (after Shaquille O'Neal in 1996), and the Lakers don't want to pay such a steep price for what could amount to less than a season of Howard's services. A source close to the negotiations says Howard's representatives warned the Lakers that Howard would opt out of his contract and test the free-agent market next summer -- which has the Lakers' brass understandably nervous.

Probably belongs in the Howard Thread, but I thought it may be some pretty big news

xbrackattackx
01-31-2012, 07:45 PM
Get us a good back up center, and a starting PG and. A bench piece and let's roll.

king2218
01-31-2012, 07:47 PM
They would never move away from a chance of getting Howard...Howard is the face of their post Kobe team.

shep33
01-31-2012, 07:52 PM
They would never move away from a chance of getting Howard...Howard is the face of their post Kobe team.

I disagree. He's not worth it if he doesn't commit. Could you imagine if LA traded for him and he left? Basically it would be a Gasol + Bynum + 2 first rounder next year for Hedo Turkoglu lol.

Absolutely no shot the Lakers do this if the report is true. It kind of makes sense too, seems like the Lakers haven't offered up both guys for that very reason.

beliges
01-31-2012, 07:58 PM
Well, the fact still remains that the most valuable player Orlando can get back for Howard is Bynum so the Lakers' leverage is still high. Plus, without signing an extension before a trade, nobody is going to trade for Howard. So, lets say, IF the Lakers were to trade for Howard, it would be AFTER Orlando signs an extension with him. And again, no team can offer the 2nd best center in the league at age 23 to the Magic.

wjmoffatt
01-31-2012, 08:04 PM
Trade for Kyrie Irvin and Tristain Thompson. Plus future number ones!
Let LA become Clipper town for 3-4 years, and then have that young team just own the world! Kyrie, Harrison Barnes, Thompson, and anyone else they could get. So serious on the youth movement. Trade the pieces before it keeps sinking.

Teeboy1487
01-31-2012, 08:08 PM

Please, Howard is not worth Bynum and Gasol even if he commits to the Lakers let alone walking the next season. Hopefully this lures the Lakers away. We don't need a center, we need PGs and Small Forwards. That's where the focus needs to be with the Lakers FO.

We do not need Dwight. I've never been a fan of getting him especially for Gasol and Bynum.

Cal827
01-31-2012, 08:09 PM
I stopped reading after that abomination of a pun. :pity:

heyman321
01-31-2012, 08:11 PM
The Lakers don't even need Howard. They need to get a point guard, a backup PF, and some decent shooters. Why'd they sign Kapono again? Well at least he's been off the Raptors for a while now :)

shep33
01-31-2012, 08:12 PM
I stopped reading after that abomination of a pun. :pity:

That was so horrible lol. Can't believe he put that in the article

showtym24
01-31-2012, 08:15 PM
Im getting so sick of this...

MILLERHIGHLIFE
01-31-2012, 08:16 PM
Lakers have no chips to trade for Stephen Jackson. Sorry I had to do it! Kill the moral here! If its legit if Howard wants Jackson. Bucks kinda hold all the cards. Bucks could be dealing with the Nets as we speak. I did send hammond a email of my thoughts. But then again I send him a email like twice a week. lol

shep33
01-31-2012, 08:20 PM
Lakers have no chips to trade for Stephen Jackson. Sorry I had to do it! Kill the moral here! If its legit if Howard wants Jackson. Bucks kinda hold all the cards. Bucks could be dealing with the Nets as we speak. I did send hammond a email of my thoughts. But then again I send him a email like twice a week. lol

Lol, I don't think the Lakers want Stephen Jackson even if it meant getting Howard lol... I don't think anybody wants Stephen Jackson outside of Dwight. Maybe Otis isn't to blame for those moves lol!

I like Jax, but the only we'd take him on is if Mil took back Walton or Artest. So it's very unlikely. If Howard is going to play GM, I feel bad for whatever team gets him.

C-Style
01-31-2012, 08:41 PM
Lakers should get Trevor Ariza back and a Legit PG, TPE for Ariza, Dallas 1st pick for a PG, or vice versa.

Ive said a million times and ill say it again, Lakers should have giving up Bynum for Paul

Paul
Kobe
Barnes
Odom
Gasol

that team would beat the **** out of the current Lakers roster.

king2218
01-31-2012, 08:45 PM
LA needs Howard...he is the face they can build their team around after Kobe leaves...Bynum is good but no way is he on Howard's level & Howard proved that earlier this year. He might be on Howard's level one day but at this current time, he's not. LA will need Howard to be the face of the franchise.

shep33
01-31-2012, 08:47 PM
LA needs Howard...he is the face they can build their team around after Kobe leaves...Bynum is good but no way is he on Howard's level & Howard proved that earlier this year. He might be on Howard's level one day but at this current time, he's not. LA will need Howard to be the face of the franchise.

Without a him extending his deal, the Lakers will not even bother asking Orlando... he's not worth the risk.

ThunderousDemon
01-31-2012, 09:11 PM
Without a him extending his deal, the Lakers will not even bother asking Orlando... he's not worth the risk.

Exactly my thoughts as well, unless the lakers get some guarantee he'll sign an extension, then it isn't worth it

Marco22
01-31-2012, 09:30 PM
This obsession of Howard is crazy it take away the reasoning power, it take you away from what the Lakers real problem is POINT GUARD and A SMALL FOWARD who can shot 3's

Chill_Will_24
01-31-2012, 09:36 PM
I think the Howard has had his eye on Brooklyn since before the lockout. I remember him doing all that promotion work in Brooklyn and Russia with the nets dancers and Andre Kirilenko...

LA might be sorry if they trade for him without a guarantee cuz he could very well pull a "reverse Shaq" and instead of leaving ORL with nothing for the Lakers he would leave the Lakers for the team that now plays in Shaq's hometown of Newark NJ.. oh the irony..

Does Dwight hate Shaq this much that he would low blow him like that?? Ooo the plot thickens

Wes_Craven
01-31-2012, 09:41 PM
^lol

akagiredsuns
01-31-2012, 09:48 PM
Well, the fact still remains that the most valuable player Orlando can get back for Howard is Bynum so the Lakers' leverage is still high. Plus, without signing an extension before a trade, nobody is going to trade for Howard. So, lets say, IF the Lakers were to trade for Howard, it would be AFTER Orlando signs an extension with him. And again, no team can offer the 2nd best center in the league at age 23 to the Magic.

The Bold = :facepalm:

tkshy
01-31-2012, 09:54 PM
Howard made sense if they had made the Paul deal. Then you build with Paul and Howard as Kobe plays out his last couple of years. To just get Howard now is pointless for the Lakers, and for Howard, cause when Kobe retires he is right back to where he is with Orlando...no supporting cast.

The Final Boss
01-31-2012, 09:54 PM
I saw what the writer did there, and it was't funny.

D12 fan
01-31-2012, 09:56 PM
It seems Dwight just wants Brooklyn,He can be the face of a new franchise,and play with his buddy Dwill.If im NJ,I just hope Orlando doesn't trade him and wait it out till the summer.

shep33
01-31-2012, 10:06 PM
Howard made sense if they had made the Paul deal. Then you build with Paul and Howard as Kobe plays out his last couple of years. To just get Howard now is pointless for the Lakers, and for Howard, cause when Kobe retires he is right back to where he is with Orlando...no supporting cast.

Kobe's contract ends in the summer of 2014... guess who some of the FA's are that year (player options):

-D-Wade
-Kobe as well lol
-Lebron
-Melo
-Rudy Gay
-Granger
-Deng
-Bosh
-Dirk
-Pau
-Amare
-Zbo
-Andrea
-Bogut
-Kevin Love (I believe)

blahblahyoutoo
01-31-2012, 10:08 PM

howard is not a piece you build around.
look at the magic for the past 3 years.

jmoney85
01-31-2012, 10:10 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7407044/playing-dwight-howard-scenarios

A Lakers trade package would be centered (get it?) around Andrew Bynum, but Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak would have many obstacles to overcome before he could partner Howard with Kobe Bryant. While Bynum legally can be traded straight-up for Howard, it would be difficult for L.A. to provide the Magic with the basketball assets they would be seeking in a deal. Now that Lamar Odom is coming off the Dallas Mavericks' bench, the Lakers' only remaining significant trade asset is Pau Gasol. However, the Lakers are reluctant to part with both Bynum and Gasol, even for Howard.

The Lakers would need to send out an additional $8.3 million in salaries to make room for Turkoglu if the Magic insist on including the forward as part of a package for Howard. Unfortunately, the $8.9 million trade exception the Lakers acquired by dealing Odom to Dallas can't be used for this purpose, since a trade exception would need to be big enough for Turkoglu's entire $11 million salary. It's difficult to envision Kupchak finding a package of Laker players -- short of Gasol -- who would meet the salary requirements and persuade the Magic to pull the trigger.

But the biggest impediment to a Lakers deal isn't related to the trade rules -- it's overcoming the resistance on the part of both teams. Magic owner Rick DeVos has been reluctant to allow his team to lose a second franchise center to the Lakers (after Shaquille O'Neal in 1996), and the Lakers don't want to pay such a steep price for what could amount to less than a season of Howard's services. A source close to the negotiations says Howard's representatives warned the Lakers that Howard would opt out of his contract and test the free-agent market next summer -- which has the Lakers' brass understandably nervous.

Probably belongs in the Howard Thread, but I thought it may be some pretty big news

hey chill will

remember when you told me I was bsing about the magic owner not wanting to trade him to LA

ha

MTar786
01-31-2012, 10:25 PM
Lakers should get Trevor Ariza back and a Legit PG, TPE for Ariza, Dallas 1st pick for a PG, or vice versa.

Ive said a million times and ill say it again, Lakers should have giving up Bynum for Paul

Paul
Kobe
Barnes
Odom
Gasol

hornets would not have taken him straight up. thet would have wanted bynum and odom. maybe bynum, blake and odom and a 2nd round pick for cp3 and ariza.

paul/fisher
kobe/barnes/goudelock
ariza/artest/kapono
mcroberts/murphy
gasol/murphy

we would have to make a trade for either a center or a good pf. but we would have much better potential than we currently have

MTar786
01-31-2012, 10:27 PM
I think the Howard has had his eye on Brooklyn since before the lockout. I remember him doing all that promotion work in Brooklyn and Russia with the nets dancers and Andre Kirilenko...

LA might be sorry if they trade for him without a guarantee cuz he could very well pull a "reverse Shaq" and instead of leaving ORL with nothing for the Lakers he would leave the Lakers for the team that now plays in Shaq's hometown of Newark NJ.. oh the irony..

Does Dwight hate Shaq this much that he would low blow him like that?? Ooo the plot thickens

who cares
shaq>>>>>>dwight

xBLAMEITON24x
01-31-2012, 10:28 PM
i dont believe the source saying he wouldnt commit why have a wish list if your not willing to commit to the teams you listed. It makes no sense at all. If Howard isnt planning on doing a sign and trade with his wish list teams. Who does he think will trade for him and give up key pieces for him to walk besides golden state.

Sorry but imo this makes no sense if really wants out of orl then he would be open to a sign and trade. but these are all rumors anyway

SACNYY
01-31-2012, 10:31 PM
That was so horrible lol. Can't believe he put that in the article

I laughed at the pun lol. But damn I'm tired of Howard. Magic please trade him already. Trade him to Sacramento for Cousins, Thornton, and a pick.

Spiderman 1nner
01-31-2012, 10:32 PM
I don't think the Lakers want Howard after the way he has conducted himself this year. They've put up with enough from Kobe, but that's cus he brought them rings. If anything, Dwight Howard has proven he's the most disappointing player in the league this year. He's NOT a superstar because he doesn't make the players around him better, instead he demoralizes them by bashing them in the media. He's also bigger, stronger, and more athletic than pretty much everyone in the league and yet he still does this soft little hook shot instead of going up strong and banging it on people. And maybe instead of bashing his teammates he should be more concerned about his atrocious free throw shooting

MTar786
01-31-2012, 10:32 PM
its funny.. because if this was shaq rather than dwight on the trading block all teams would be freaking out. imagine lakers trading bynum and whatever for a prime shaq

fisher/blake
kobe/goudelock
barnes/artest
pau/mcroberts
96 shaq/murphy

GOAT team lol

imagine the bulls trading gibson, watson and noah for prime shaq

rose
hamilton/brewer
deng/bogans
boozer
96 shaq/asik

champions for sure

imagine the knicks trading chandler and amare for prime shaq

davis
fields
melo
who cares
96 shaq

championship contenders

SACNYY
01-31-2012, 10:39 PM
I have a question. Does Howard have a no trade clause? Does he get the right to choose where he goes? Or can Magic trade him to where ever they want?

Chill_Will_24
01-31-2012, 11:20 PM
i dont believe the source saying he wouldnt commit why have a wish list if your not willing to commit to the teams you listed. It makes no sense at all. If Howard isnt planning on doing a sign and trade with his wish list teams. Who does he think will trade for him and give up key pieces for him to walk besides golden state.

Sorry but imo this makes no sense if really wants out of orl then he would be open to a sign and trade. but these are all rumors anyway

Why did Melo flirt with the Rockets and the Nets knowing it was Knicks or nothing?

Chill_Will_24
01-31-2012, 11:22 PM
its funny.. because if this was shaq rather than dwight on the trading block all teams would be freaking out. imagine lakers trading bynum and whatever for a prime shaq

fisher/blake
kobe/goudelock
barnes/artest
pau/mcroberts
96 shaq/murphy

GOAT team lol

imagine the bulls trading gibson, watson and noah for prime shaq

rose
hamilton/brewer
deng/bogans
boozer
96 shaq/asik

champions for sure

imagine the knicks trading chandler and amare for prime shaq

davis
fields
melo
who cares
96 shaq

championship contenders

Hate to break it to you but Shaq is gone and until another big man comes in a takes the league by storm like Oden was supposed to.. Dwight is the best in the league

Punk
01-31-2012, 11:28 PM
Why did Melo flirt with the Rockets and the Nets knowing it was Knicks or nothing?

He didn't flirt with the Rockets. He actually said when a reporter asked about him going to Houston his response was "For what? To start a rap career?" and NJ was only an option if the Knicks decided to not trade for him.

Much like the Nets and Knicks are now with the Howard situation when he really wants to go to LA, Dallas.

king2218
01-31-2012, 11:48 PM
I have a question. Does Howard have a no trade clause? Does he get the right to choose where he goes? Or can Magic trade him to where ever they want?

No, he doesn't have a no trade clause.

ldawg
02-01-2012, 12:32 AM
No way in hell Lakers should trade both Gasol and Bynum for Howard. Love Howard but his production does not equal both players. Bynum has a higher ceiling than Howard at this point. My gut feeling is Bynum will be better than Howard in two years however not has athletic. Howard strength is his athletic ability and quickness but his overall game is still raw 7ft away from the basket and at this point what you see is what you get its only down hill from here and once his ability drops he has nothing to fall back on. He is a liability late in the game he shoot under .500 from there so you can not rely on him to post because they will foul him. Just look at the magic they shoot 3s thats their bail out move not a post move from Howard. Bynum can do everything Howard does and more he is just not consistent yet but he has more skills. Even right now La can ask Bynum to take his man late in the game and they have to double and his form is way better at the free throw line if they foul. Howard has to sit back and watch Riddick or Nelson win close games. The way i look at it its magic loss i dont care how many draft picks they get they will not get a better player than Bynum. A quality trade is better than a quantity trade. just saying Bynum is putting up Howard type number and he is still getting better. Just picture patrick ewing working with Bynum.

SACNYY
02-01-2012, 12:40 AM
No, he doesn't have a no trade clause.

That's good then.

Raph12
02-01-2012, 05:00 AM
I don't even think he really wants to go there...

shep33
02-01-2012, 05:20 AM
I don't even think he really wants to go there...

We already have Troy Murphy anyways.

abe_froman
02-01-2012, 05:31 AM

question 1:no,he doesnt
question 2: kind of(i'll explain after question 3)
question 3: technically yes,but realistically no

he can be traded wherever the magic want,but it's complicated by his feelings about staying in that place after this season as no team will trade for a guy who's just going to leave to another team in couple months via free agency(some overzealous fans would ,but gm's wont)

Trueblue2
02-01-2012, 06:41 AM

Paul
Kobe
Barnes
Odom
Gasol

:facepalm: for not knowing how a TPE works. If you trade a draft pick for a pg without giving back any salary you're using the TPE to get him, the other team would recieve a TPE for the value of the point guard's salary. TPE's in and of themselves are not trade assets, you can't trade the rights to a TPE. Before the lakers had the odom TPE how many fans from other teams did you hear about wanting to use a TPE to pick up a starting caliber player? not none.

Badluck33
02-01-2012, 07:40 AM
Its not happening.

Unless Magic accept a trade for Bynum straight up it is NOT going to happen.

Sssmush
02-01-2012, 07:44 AM
Howard saying he will opt out is just a face saving move. He is embarassed because the Lakers are unwilling to trade Bynum for him, so now he gives them a better excuse. It's stupid for the Lakers to not trade for Howard, these kind of scenarios just make me not want to follow the teams that much anymore. Ur team has a chance to make a fantastic move, but they don't, just because they are stubborn or want to prove they can do it differently.

yeah if Howard won't do sign and trade then see ya. Even if he was Lakers probably weren't going to make the trade. Because Bynum is so awesome is why. Seriously. That is why.

so Howard has definitely decided to leave Orlando and not to re-sign? is that the scenario? and he won't do a sign and trade either, just opt out, even on the Lakers?

ok

Rockice_8
02-01-2012, 10:23 AM
He always was going to Brooklyn by trade or by FA. Nets are his number one choice and no other team will put up the assets knowing he can walk. The Nets have a suitable replacement (Lopez) and can take back a bad contract (Hedo) and give multiple picks to start the rebuild.

The Nets were and continue to be the front runners to land Dwight.

nycericanguy
02-01-2012, 10:36 AM
Magic are just waiting until March 1st when Tyson can be traded along with Amare for Howard, Hedo & Duhon. :D

RaiderLakersA's
02-01-2012, 12:38 PM
PG
PG
PG

Then add some pure scorers. Clearly we have the defensive mentality to be a contender.

GoatMilk
02-01-2012, 01:10 PM
Lakers only have 2 tradable assets, and if they trade them both for Dwight, they get worse

Rockice_8
02-01-2012, 01:20 PM
PG
PG
PG

Then add some pure scorers. Clearly we have the defensive mentality to be a contender.

You want Farmar back? He's been killing it lately. He's a clear upgrade at the PG for you.

Farmar and Shawne Williams for the Odom TPE and a 2nd? Upgrades PG and adds a bench shooter (he's struggling but shot 40% from 3 last year).

Chill_Will_24
02-01-2012, 02:24 PM
He didn't flirt with the Rockets. He actually said when a reporter asked about him going to Houston his response was "For what? To start a rap career?" and NJ was only an option if the Knicks decided to not trade for him.

Much like the Nets and Knicks are now with the Howard situation when he really wants to go to LA, Dallas.

:laugh2: @ you grouping the Knicks and the Nets together when he has the Nets atop his list.

The list he NEVER denied goes: Nets, Mavs, Lakers in that order according to even Chris Broussard who is a known Nets hater. The Knicks, Bulls, Thunder, Clippers, etc. have no shot at Howard.

The stars control where they go and in our "fraternity butt-buddy" league Dwight wants to play with his buddy Deron.

-Reports come out that he wants to play with Deron

-He does an intervies where he names 2 Nets as players he wants to play with

-Reports come out that he has the Nets atop his list

-Reports come out that he demanded a trade to the Nets

-Reports come out that he has no given assurances to the Lakers that he will resign.. assurances that the Nets have already been reportedly given

-Reports come out that Deron is considering opting in and playing a year in Brooklyn

Coincidence?

Howard wants the Nets and if the past is any indication.. he will get there. This is a star driven league.

Rockice_8
02-01-2012, 02:50 PM
^^^

Exactly, he wants the Nets and the Nets want him. They'll get him either through a trade (if ORL is smart) or through FA (if they are not). The Nets have the best offer outside of a Bynum and Pau combination which LAL is clearly not doing since they don't have assurances he'll resign. Until that changes it's the Nets and it always has been.

Chi City23
02-01-2012, 02:56 PM
:laugh2: @ you grouping the Knicks and the Nets together when he has the Nets atop his list.

The list he NEVER denied goes: Nets, Mavs, Lakers in that order according to even Chris Broussard who is a known Nets hater. The Knicks, Bulls, Thunder, Clippers, etc. have no shot at Howard.

The stars control where they go and in our "fraternity butt-buddy" league Dwight wants to play with his buddy Deron.

-Reports come out that he wants to play with Deron

-He does an intervies where he names 2 Nets as players he wants to play with

-Reports come out that he has the Nets atop his list

-Reports come out that he demanded a trade to the Nets

-Reports come out that he has no given assurances to the Lakers that he will resign.. assurances that the Nets have already been reportedly given

-Reports come out that Deron is considering opting in and playing a year in Brooklyn

Coincidence?

Howard wants the Nets and if the past is any indication.. he will get there. This is a star driven league.

Also wasn't there a report that Dwight met with Prokosomething in Miami? Then they stated it was his agent, which I don't buy. But I agree Nets are his #1 and only option right now.

Pierzynski4Prez
02-01-2012, 03:20 PM
The lakers don't need howard. Why give all that up to go from the #2 center in the league to the #1 center? They should use whatever assets they have to pursue a PG in a PG abundant league.

naps
02-01-2012, 03:21 PM

More like 25.

Kobe4Life
02-01-2012, 03:32 PM

Thanks for the good laughs!

Bucks hold the cards = LOL
Stephen Jackson is the key to where Dwight Lands = LOL
You send emails to GMs = LOL

NYsFinest
02-01-2012, 03:43 PM
He always was going to Brooklyn by trade or by FA. Nets are his number one choice and no other team will put up the assets knowing he can walk. The Nets have a suitable replacement (Lopez) and can take back a bad contract (Hedo) and give multiple picks to start the rebuild.

The Nets were and continue to be the front runners to land Dwight.

Advice from a longtime Knick fan...

Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

CP3 to NYK was more of a lock than Dwight to Nets and we all know what happened there.

Sure the Knicks couldn't compete with other offers but Lopez was terrible last year and wont play until after the All-Star game this year and their second best trade chip just broke his toe. That is far from the most appealing package.

I remember when Lebron was a lock to NYK and then other teams stepped up and offered a better situation for him... i don't doubt that teams like the Celtics, Bulls, Lakers, Mavs etc will do everything they can to sway Howard their way.

DODGERS&LAKERS
02-01-2012, 03:56 PM
More like 25.

More like 24 and 4 months.

shep33
02-01-2012, 04:02 PM
The lakers don't need howard. Why give all that up to go from the #2 center in the league to the #1 center? They should use whatever assets they have to pursue a PG in a PG abundant league.

I agree. I mean he makes us better at a position we're already probably 2nd best at. No way we deal a top 5 PF along with Drew.

We need to fill in the gaps... a pg, a backup sg that can create for himself and we're set. We have two first rounders, a bunch of youngsters, and a 9 mill TPE to try and get those guys.

No need to trade Bynum or Pau (although I think Pau has a good shot at being traded by the deadline lol) unless we get a stud back, plus a good PF.

Chill_Will_24
02-01-2012, 04:04 PM
Advice from a longtime Knick fan...

Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

CP3 to NYK was more of a lock than Dwight to Nets and we all know what happened there.

Sure the Knicks couldn't compete with other offers but Lopez was terrible last year and wont play until after the All-Star game this year and their second best trade chip just broke his toe. That is far from the most appealing package.

I remember when Lebron was a lock to NYK and then other teams stepped up and offered a better situation for him... i don't doubt that teams like the Celtics, Bulls, Lakers, Mavs etc will do everything they can to sway Howard their way.

:laugh2: That was always a Knick dream. There were no reports that CP3 wanted a trade to the Knicks and Knicks fans basically only had a "wedding toast" to go on. Not to mention that the CP3 dream was crushed as soon as Melo saw $$$ and made the Knicks gut their team for him and took all that money which prevented CP3 from signing there.

Multiple writers have confirmed Dwight's list and his interest in playing with Deron in Brooklyn as well as Dwight himself with his cryptic hints via the media. Nets also have the space to sign him.

Bullsfan22
02-01-2012, 04:09 PM
The Lakers don't need him. Honestly if they get their hands on calderon they are the best team in the west Imo.

NYsFinest
02-01-2012, 04:09 PM
:laugh2: That was always a Knick dream. There were no reports that CP3 wanted a trade to the Knicks and Knicks fans basically only had a "wedding toast" to go on. Not to mention that the CP3 dream was crushed as soon as Melo saw $$$ and made the Knicks gut their team for him and took all that money which prevented CP3 from signing there.

Multiple writers have confirmed Dwight's list and his interest in playing with Deron in Brooklyn as well as Dwight himself with his cryptic hints via the media. Nets also have the space to sign him.

Are you serious?!!? There were MUCH more CP3 is Knicks or bust reports than anything written on Dwight and Nets.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/7303270/chris-paul-new-orleans-hornets-seeks-trade-new-york-knicks-sign-extension-according-report

.... sound familiar?

RLundi
02-01-2012, 04:12 PM
Are you serious?!!? There were MUCH more CP3 is Knicks or bust reports than anything written on Dwight and Nets. To this day the first suggestion google has when you type Chris Paul, is Chris Paul Knicks...

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/7303270/chris-paul-new-orleans-hornets-seeks-trade-new-york-knicks-sign-extension-according-report

Yeah, by idiot fans. Chris Paul himself never came out and demanded a trade to the Knicks or even hint that was his top destination.

Edit: I stand corrected.

waveycrockett
02-01-2012, 04:15 PM
Are you serious?!!? There were MUCH more CP3 is Knicks or bust reports than anything written on Dwight and Nets.

.... sound familiar?

Except that the Knicks screwed themselves over with horrible management as per usual. Had they not uncessarily given up the entire farm for Melo and handed over a horrible contract to Chandler, Donnie Walsh had them in the perfect position to land CP3 AND MELO. The Knicks screwed themselves over so the comparison is a lame one. It would be like if the Nets went out and signed Wilson Chandler to a 5 yr/60 Million deal and traded Brook Lopez+Marhson Brooks+1st RD picks for Al Jefferson and then cried about having no assets for Dwight.

Not to mention Dwight Howard has publicly acknowledged Nets are one of the only 3 teams he will play for which CP3 never did.

NYsFinest
02-01-2012, 04:21 PM
Except that the Knicks screwed themselves over with horrible management as per usual. Had they not uncessarily given up the entire farm for Melo and handed over a horrible contract to Chandler, Donnie Walsh had them in the perfect position to land CP3 AND MELO. The Knicks screwed themselves over so the comparison is a lame one. It would be like if the Nets went out and signed Wilson Chandler to a 5 yr/60 Million deal and traded Brook Lopez+Marhson Brooks+1st RD picks for Al Jefferson.

Not to mention Dwight Howard has publicly acknowledged Nets are one of the only 3 teams he will play for which CP3 never did.

Not everyone in the league thinks a restricted free agent center who played 20 games in his contract year (optismistic) and averaged 6 rebounds per game the year before is a great trade piece. I'm sure Orlando is thrilled at the prospect of apying him 15 mill a year for the next 5 years.

Its actually a very similar situation to CP3 because there are a ton of contending teams with much more to offer than the Nets.

Not sure what the Wilson Chandler and Al Jefferson thing has anything to do with it.... unless you compared them to Melo, in which case we have nothing to talk about. Just because Melo played through multiple injuries for a few weeks doesn't mean he isn't a top 10-12 player, people in this forum have a one week memory span.

CP3 had the same "list", neither player was ever quoted. CP3 had Lakers and Knicks on his "list".

JordansBulls
02-01-2012, 04:23 PM
They should because they already have a dominant big man who will be starting in the allstar game.:)

waveycrockett
02-01-2012, 04:27 PM
Not everyone in the league thinks a restricted free agent center who played 20 games in his contract year (optismistic) and averaged 6 rebounds per game is a great trade piece.

Its actually a very similar situation to CP3 because there are a ton of contending teams with much more to offer than the Nets.

Not sure what the Wilson Chandler and Al Jefferson thing has anything to do with it.... unless you compared them to Melo, in which case we have nothing to talk about. Just because Melo played through multiple injuries for a few weeks doesn't mean he isn't a top 10-12 player, people in this forum have a one week memory span.
Your losing me.

I'm saying Knicks could have had CP3 in the bag but they were completely ******** with how they went about trading damn near their entire team for Melo. Their isn't a Knicks fan I know how now doesn't think they gave up way too much. Then they gave a solid but not spectacular center a Kings ransom. They screwed themselves out of getting CP3 not the other way around. Nets wont make that mistake.

RLundi
02-01-2012, 04:27 PM
They should because they already have a dominant big man who will be starting in the allstar game.:)

Bynum is dominant?

NYsFinest
02-01-2012, 04:35 PM
Your losing me.

I'm saying Knicks could have had CP3 in the bag but they were completely ******** with how they went about trading damn near their entire team for Melo. Their isn't a Knicks fan I know how now doesn't think they gave up way too much. Then they gave a solid but not spectacular center a Kings ransom. They screwed themselves out of getting CP3 not the other way around. Nets wont make that mistake.

They signed Chandler after CP3 was traded...

btw I would take Chandler over Lopez every day of the week (and Lopez will demand a much bigger contract from the Magic this summer if he ends up there). 11 ppg and 10 rpg while shooting 71% (scores 11 PPG on 4.7 attempts per game!!) and anchoring a much improved defense while playing without anything near a starting caliber PG is very good.

NYsFinest
02-01-2012, 04:40 PM
Never said the Nets wont get Dwight, some Nets fans here just need to realize its far from a guarantee.

49erGiantLaker
02-01-2012, 04:51 PM
Lakers need a point guard not Howard.

Rockice_8
02-01-2012, 04:51 PM
Not everyone in the league thinks a restricted free agent center who played 20 games in his contract year (optismistic) and averaged 6 rebounds per game the year before is a great trade piece. I'm sure Orlando is thrilled at the prospect of apying him 15 mill a year for the next 5 years.

CP3 had the same "list", neither player was ever quoted. CP3 had Lakers and Knicks on his "list".

Dude you're all over the place. Lopez sucks but they have to pay him 15 mil? Why do you think they have to pay him that much? Oh that's right cause he's a gifted 20 ppg games scorer who had one down rebounding year and is only going into his 4th year.

He admitted to boxing out and letting Hump grab all the rebounds. No reason he won't go back to 8-9 rbs per game and when you couple that with 20+ points he looks very worth $15 mil, which is why many teams will be offering him $15 mil.

NYsFinest
02-01-2012, 04:53 PM
Dude you're all over the place. Lopez sucks but they have to pay him 15 mil? Why do you think they have to pay him that much? Oh that's right cause he's a gifted 20 ppg games scorer who had one down rebounding year and is only going into his 4th year.

He admitted to boxing out and letting Hump grab all the rebounds. No reason he won't go back to 8-9 rbs per game and when you couple that with 20+ points he looks very worth $15 mil, which is why many teams will be offering him $15 mil.

Centers always get overpaid, Kwame got 8 million, Darko got 5 years 30... etc etc

Rockice_8
02-01-2012, 04:54 PM

btw I would take Chandler over Lopez every day of the week (and Lopez will demand a much bigger contract from the Magic this summer if he ends up there). 11 ppg and 10 rpg while shooting 71% (scores 11 PPG on 4.7 attempts per game!!) and anchoring a much improved defense while playing without anything near a starting caliber PG is very good.

Not if you're rebuilding and a good GM you don't. It all depends on what your team needs if they have Melo and Amare then yes you want Chandler but straight starting a team Lopez gets picked 9 times out of 10.

waveycrockett
02-01-2012, 04:55 PM

Actually they didn't which is why they were trying to trade Amar'e for CP3 b/c they already had signed Tyson and it was rumored wherever Tyson went is where CP3 would for a trade to. Anway I don't see why your trying to make this about Lopez and Chandler thats has nothing to do with anything. I'd take Lopez considering we aren't paying him 60 Million.

NYsFinest
02-01-2012, 05:01 PM
Actually they didn't which is why they were trying to trade Amar'e for CP3 b/c they already had signed Tyson and it was rumored wherever Tyson went is where CP3 would for a trade to. Anway I don't see why your trying to make this about Lopez and Chandler thats has nothing to do with anything. I'd take Lopez considering we aren't paying him 60 Million.

It was a last minute attempt to steal CP3 when they realized they knew they were out of the sweepstakes for a while.

Lopez will get his 60 million this summer and is a huge question mark.

Stupid argument, all I am saying is don't buy a Howard Nets jersey yet, everything else is irrelevant and a matter of opinion.

LA_Raiders
02-01-2012, 08:51 PM

Paul
Kobe
Barnes
Odom
Gasol

Agree, i doubt LA will make a move...