PDA

View Full Version : Mike D'Antoni: Iman Shumpert Done As Starting Point Guard

KB-Pau-DH2012
01-31-2012, 07:13 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NBA&id=1865&line=170129&spln=1

Coach Mike D'Antoni said he no longer considers Iman Shumpert a candidate to start at point guard.
Toney Douglas has started the last two games at the point. "[Shumpert] is learning the league. We're learning where to play him. The 1 spot is not a natural one. It's too much," D'Antoni said. Without a role at the point, Baron Davis (back) a week or two away and Carmelo Anthony (wrist, ankle) nearing a return, Shumpert's arrow is pointing down. He hasn't topped 28 minutes in any of the last four games. Jan. 31 - 2:00 pm et
Source: New York Post

Say It Ain't So! :speechless:

Voodoo Alchemy
01-31-2012, 07:14 PM
i thought the thread read: dantoni done coaching the knicks

Sactown
01-31-2012, 07:21 PM
But I thought he was the second best 2 way player?

kozelkid
01-31-2012, 07:22 PM
Nooooooooo!!!!!!!

Not the great one...

smith&wesson
01-31-2012, 07:28 PM
dantoni is such a tool.

why do you go public with this ? as if ppl wont realize on their own who starting and who isnt.

iman shumpert is a rookie you dont want to publicly state that he cant hang at the pg position. that team is in dier need of a new coach and system..

stawka
01-31-2012, 07:28 PM
Ahhh the supposed GOAT

ManRam
01-31-2012, 07:29 PM
I mean...it's not really working. He's gonna be a good player someday, but yeah...it's just not working.

Monta is beast
Shocker!

justinnum1
Is he on his way to the dantoni doghouse?:p

TopsyTurvy
01-31-2012, 07:32 PM
Is he on his way to the dantoni doghouse?:p

Dantoni is certainly the king and primary resident of that ****house.

BallIsAll
01-31-2012, 07:39 PM
He's more of a 2 guard

jmoney85
01-31-2012, 07:55 PM
how can this guy bench the 2011-2012 nba mvp

Slimsim
01-31-2012, 07:57 PM
how can this guy bench the 2011-2012 nba mvp

My thoughts exactly you don't bench the next Jordan

blastmasta26
01-31-2012, 08:07 PM
lol but yeah, he's definitely a 2 guard. Shumpert has talent, just needs to play to his strengths, take less jumpers and drive to the basket more.

heyman321
01-31-2012, 08:15 PM
Ahhh the supposed GOAT

What? the article was about Iman Shumpert, not Demarcus Cousins.

NYsFinest
01-31-2012, 08:28 PM
Maybe its because he isn't a point guard and was forced to be one because our second best pg is jeremy lin... not a diss to shumpert at all, just our coach decided to use his brain for once

scutch11
01-31-2012, 08:28 PM
dantoni is such a tool.

why do you go public with this ? as if ppl wont realize on their own who starting and who isnt.

iman shumpert is a rookie you dont want to publicly state that he cant hang at the pg position. that team is in dier need of a new coach and system..

This. Looks like you can add Shumpert to the D'Antoni Doghouse...and with that goes his confidence too...

NYsFinest
01-31-2012, 08:30 PM
This. Looks like you can add Shumpert to the D'Antoni Doghouse...and with that goes his confidence too...

Full quote says he is going to play 2-3 more... not doghouse, just a misleading thread because Shumpert is becoming the new Mike James on PSD :facepalm:

beasted86
01-31-2012, 08:33 PM
He is a 2 guard/combo guard. I made this comparison months before the draft and before the combine, when he was among the crop of PGs that could have been on the HEAT's radar, just from watching NCAA footage on ESPN360.com.... Reminds me of Stuckey, and I think that's his ceiling.

Like Stuckey his shooting is questionable, but he can attack and make plays. But just like him, he's simply not ever going to be a true PG. He'll give you ~4 assists with his passing ability, but he cannot run an offense and look to make plays before shooting.

scutch11
01-31-2012, 08:36 PM
Full quote says he is going to play 2-3 more... not doghouse, just a misleading thread because Shumpert is becoming the new Mike James on PSD :facepalm:

Regardless he shouldn't have come out and said it. Looks like he's throwing him under the bus

NYsFinest
01-31-2012, 08:39 PM
Regardless he shouldn't have come out and said it. Looks like he's throwing him under the bus

Taken out of context he was probably asked something like why is Shumpert no longer starting and Douglas is instead...non-story IMO

NYsFinest
01-31-2012, 08:41 PM
Shumpert is starting at PG tonight btw.....

Hawkamania
01-31-2012, 08:42 PM
I don't have issue with D'Antoni no longer wanting to play Iman at PG, but I can't stand the way he chooses to handle things. I can not wait for the day he is fired.

Kashmir13579
01-31-2012, 08:48 PM
You guys are *******s. The kid obviously has boatloads of potential and if you had a shred of basketball intuition you could see that. Maybe he isn't a PG, maybe he will never be, but his upside is ridiculous if he can start putting it all together.

Too bad Douglas is a much worse option at the 1 and D'antoni is a bafoon. At least Shump can make a simple entry pass. Literally the only pass i've seen Douglas make this year is to Chandler at the TOP OF THE KEY.

NYMetropolitans
01-31-2012, 08:49 PM
hmmm that's funny...he started at PG tonight.

Sactown
01-31-2012, 08:56 PM

He's trying to confuse other teams defense! GENIUS!! :speechless:

alew510
01-31-2012, 09:01 PM
Iman will continue to play 25-30 minutes the rest of the season just because of the sole fact that outside of Chandler he is the only other Knick that can play Defense. Plus when the Knicks play teams with star point or shooting guards (rose, rondo, wade, irving to name a few) he will have to be out there because no way baron can defend any of them.

xxplayerxx23
01-31-2012, 09:02 PM
LMAOOO Got pistons like what I thought he wasnt starting lol

*Silver&Black*
01-31-2012, 09:02 PM
The kid obviously has boatloads of potential and if you had a shred of basketball intuition you could see that.

Is that why everyone heard the Knick fans BOOing during the draft when he was drafted? So are you saying Knick fans don't have "a shred of basketball intuition", because they dissed him before they even knew who he was (without knowing his "boatloads of potential"), and just wanted that "big name" player instead. That doesn't sound like "basketball intuition" to me, and can't have it both ways where Knick fans booing him before even knowing him is ok, but non-Knick fans using sense out of a situation are just "not basketball smart".

Punk
01-31-2012, 09:09 PM
Lol He started tonight.

He isn't a PG. He is a combo guard and he was always expected to be used as a Toney Allen type defender if starting and if his offensive game improves, a Sixth Man.

Toney never need to see the floor unless it's a really bad injury bug. Jeremy Lin outplayed him in 20 minutes with 9 points, 6 assists, 3 rebounds and a few pick n rolls with Amare.

xxplayerxx23
01-31-2012, 09:09 PM
Come on now, cuz knick fans booed the pick we cant like him? A lot of fans wanted selby thats why they were disapointed, he was projected to go into the second round if i remeber correct He has talent Im happy with the pick

*Silver&Black*
01-31-2012, 09:13 PM
Come on now, cuz knick fans booed the pick we cant like him? A lot of fans wanted selby thats why they were disapointed, he was projected to go into the second round if i remeber correct He has talent Im happy with the pick

NO! It's because of this:

You guys are *******s. The kid obviously has boatloads of potential and if you had a shred of basketball intuition you could see that.

that I said this:

Is that why everyone heard the Knick fans BOOing during the draft when he was drafted? So are you saying Knick fans don't have "a shred of basketball intuition", because they dissed him before they even knew who he was (without knowing his "boatloads of potential"), and just wanted that "big name" player instead. That doesn't sound like "basketball intuition" to me, and can't have it both ways where Knick fans booing him before even knowing him is ok, but non-Knick fans using sense out of a situation are just "not basketball smart".

I think you missed that first part. A Knicks fan defending him and talking about all this "potential" and in turn saying "if you had a shred of basketball intuition you could see that". OK, so how about when he was drafted, should I say Knick fans don't have "a shred of basketball intuition"? Hey that quote came from a Knicks fan, not me.

notch_johnson
01-31-2012, 09:15 PM
one day he could be nearly half as good as Mike James...I'm holding my breath

xxplayerxx23
01-31-2012, 09:20 PM

that I said this:

I think you missed that first part. A Knicks fan defending him and talking about all this "potential" and in turn saying "if you had a shred of basketball intuition you could see that". OK, so how about when he was drafted, should I say Knick fans don't have "a shred of basketball intuition"? Hey that quote came from a Knicks fan, not me.

Oh got You my bad I miss read

NYsFinest
01-31-2012, 09:22 PM

that I said this:

Nobody knew anything about him or who he was... at the time according to ESPN he was a terrible pick, so people went off what the stupid media told them. I had no idea who Shumpert even was so I was upset he was picked before guys the media was trying to shove down our throats. Once I did some research I liked the pick.

HouRealCoach
01-31-2012, 09:24 PM
Im a knicks fan and I admit ppl overrate the hell out of him saying he will be the next Tyreke Evans...

He isnt a good pg or shooter but he can pass and has terrific defense and is athletic as hell.. he's more of a mixture of Tony Allen and a poor mans Larry Hughes

Kashmir13579
01-31-2012, 09:31 PM

Let me ask you a question.. When is the last time Knicks fans DIDN'T boo their draft pick? Can you honestly tell me?

Knicks fans who actually GO to the draft, (a very small percentage of Knick fans btw) go in hopes of seeing us draft "the hometown hero". There seems to be a "hometown hero" in just about every draft... When said player inevitably doesn't get drafted by us, people are disappointed and they boo.

And there is a difference in bashing a pick when you've never seen the kid play, (its called fear of the unknown) and bashing a pick when his skill-set is staring you dead in the face. Your comparison is irrelevant.

justinnum1
01-31-2012, 09:44 PM

dantoni deception? damn

d nuggets fan
01-31-2012, 10:17 PM
The kid has a tons of pressure on him - he is gonna be great - size, athletic, talent.

PlezPlayDKnicks
01-31-2012, 10:22 PM
Could it be he's trying to lower the pressure that the vultures (ny media) puts on him. What a terrible coach

KnicksR4Real
01-31-2012, 10:39 PM
omfg

KB-Pau-DH2012
02-01-2012, 03:57 AM
Haha D'Antoni deception! :laugh2:

Evolution23
02-01-2012, 04:04 AM
Taken out of context he was probably asked something like why is Shumpert no longer starting and Douglas is instead...non-story IMO

Pretty much this. People can't read between the lines any more.

Saad
02-01-2012, 04:10 AM
Well there goes possibly any confidence the rookie had haha. I can see him using it as motivation to make himself better though. Thats what seperates the busts and the greats.

FriedTofuz
02-01-2012, 04:37 AM
poor knick fans , he was their only hope. why hasnt d'antoni been fired yet? the pringles man has to go....

Weezy
02-01-2012, 09:14 AM
Haha funny thread. Dantoni deception LOL. But yea many people said it... He is more of a combo guard. He is still a prospect in all of our eyes. Not bad for a 17th pick....he should be starting at the 2 or off the bench as 6th man.... but yet again Mike is forcing him to play PG. SMH.

Rockice_8
02-01-2012, 10:19 AM
It took him this long to figure that out? The guy defends and slashes, HE'S A SG/SF DUMMY!

Many people blamed him for not developing Favors at GT yet D'Antoni wants to make a rookie a PG of a team with championship aspirations? No wonder everyone wants him fired.

nycsports2
02-01-2012, 10:37 AM
ya hell start at the 2 lol

ManningToTyree
02-01-2012, 10:56 AM
Thats a good move considering he is a 2 guard. Dantoni is a fool.

Dankster
02-01-2012, 11:09 AM
He still is starting so I don't really understand the thread title. He's a 21 year old rookie trying to learn the hardest position on the court. If he ever excels as a PG, it's going to take several years for him to hone the craft.

I think he's a steal that we were able to obtain him with the 17th pick (same goes for Marshon and Norris Cole,) and regardless of which position he plays in the backcourt, he's still a very big asset to the team. Watching him play perimeter defense the way he does is refreshing and somewhat nostalgic.

uprightciti
02-01-2012, 11:35 AM
you know who would be a terrific mentor to shumpert...J.R. SMITH!

Kashmir13579
02-01-2012, 11:40 AM
you know who would be a terrific mentor to shumpert...J.R. SMITH!

J.R. Smith wouldn't be a terrific mentor to ANYONE.

Chronz
02-01-2012, 11:40 AM
Well Hollinger called it at the beginning of the year, the PG experiment didnt last long.

lol but yeah, he's definitely a 2 guard. Shumpert has talent, just needs to play to his strengths, take less jumpers and drive to the basket more.

Does he have any skills that lead us to think he can eventually become a slasher. Does he have good handles or any trick shots in the paint?

uprightciti
02-01-2012, 11:52 AM
J.R. Smith wouldn't be a terrific mentor to ANYONE. i disagree they have very similar characteristics

He115ing
02-01-2012, 11:58 AM
Ummmm... Shumps did start the last two games...

Kashmir13579
02-01-2012, 12:00 PM
Does he have any skills that lead us to think he can eventually become a slasher. Does he have good handles or any trick shots in the paint?
His handles are good enough. When he gets in the paint he is pretty good at drawing the foul or finishing. One of his problems is that he gets in close, then pulls up or fades away from about 10 feet out. His midrange game is solid but he needs to go hard in the paint. I see no reason to believe he can't. he is quick and athletic enough, and like i said his handles are fine.

i disagree they have very similar characteristics

Explain. Isn't J.R. most effective as a sharpshooter?

He115ing
02-01-2012, 12:00 PM
I pray that TD does not start. He is just horrible. I would rather have Bibby start and have Lin take TD's minutes.

He115ing
02-01-2012, 12:04 PM
BTW, why is this thread here and not in the Knicks forum?

KingPosey
02-01-2012, 12:38 PM
They better hope B Diddy comes back and feels like contributing again. They should have kept CB imo.

Da Knicks
02-01-2012, 12:59 PM
Shumpert is the real deal at sg not pg, he has being playing out of position the whole season. The bashing he gets is funny, knicks get the hate no matter if they lose or win. He is a rookie and a good one just not a pg like most knick fans know already. Comparing the fans that booed him to all knick fans is also dumb the fan base is very big and we have just like every other fanbase alot of dumb fans.

Badluck33
02-01-2012, 01:04 PM
I feel bad for Knicks fans since they think that D'Antoni is going to magically crap out a point guard and want him fired.

Give D'Antoni a PG and you will get results.

He115ing
02-01-2012, 01:06 PM
When Shumps does move to his natural sg spot. Would you start him over fields ( who has been playing great btw) or have him come off the bench?

scutch11
02-01-2012, 01:11 PM
When Shumps does move to his natural sg spot. Would you start him over fields ( who has been playing great btw) or have him come off the bench?

Rather have him come off the bench. He's more of a ball handler than Fields and we don't currently have a ball handler to play with the second unit (Douglas is NOT a ball handler). His energy is also something that the bench is sorely lacking.

ZHawk1123
02-01-2012, 01:15 PM
NO!!! You cant take the rookie of the year out of the starting PG spot!!!

LOL.

Kashmir13579
02-01-2012, 01:42 PM

yep.

Robbw241
02-01-2012, 01:53 PM
No surprise, Shumpert is the greatest defender in NBA history, and Mike D no like defense.

Punk
02-01-2012, 02:01 PM

If Fields remands inconsistent, start Shump. If Fields continues to play like he did last night, Shumpert should come off the bench.

Here's hoping we sign JR Smith and we can have a reason not to ever play Toney Douglas. Iman can mask JR's defense.

JEDean89
02-01-2012, 02:35 PM
i really don't wan't douglas starting. iman's a great two way player trying to find his spot on this teams offense. his defense is fantastic and he is starting to learn to run the p and r with amare.

Ebbs
02-01-2012, 02:37 PM
Lolz been saying this for a month easy

utl768
02-01-2012, 06:13 PM
i like shumpert but he aint a pg

blastmasta26
02-01-2012, 08:43 PM
Off the bench is best for him I would say. Fields is a better shooter and off the ball player, making him a better complement to the starting frontcourt. Shumpert could be a very valuable bench player with some time.

KingPosey
02-02-2012, 02:36 AM
I feel bad for Knicks fans since they think that D'Antoni is going to magically crap out a point guard and want him fired.

He had one, and they amnestied him.

tyfreaks brotha
02-02-2012, 02:53 AM
Michael Jackson can't play PG :speechless: