PDA

View Full Version : Do you really need an elite point guard?

Dramedy
01-31-2012, 05:31 PM
The last 21 championship point guards are: Jason Kidd (well past his prime), Derek Fisher, Derek Fisher, Rajon Rondo (before he was an all star), Tony Parker, Jason Williams/Gary Payton (both well past their prime), Tony Parker, Chauncey Billups, Tony Parker, Derek Fisher, Derek Fisher, Derek Fisher, Avery Johnson, Ron Harper, Ron Harper, Ron Harper, Kenny Smith, Kenny Smith, BJ Armstrong/John Paxson, BJ Armstrong/John Paxson, BJ Armstrong/John Paxson.

Of today's best point guards, Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Steve Nash, Derrick Rose and Russell Westbrook are all ringless. Although Rajon Rondo has a ring, he wasn't nearly the same player he is now, he was a role player at that point. John Stockton never won a ring in his career. Jason Kidd, Gary Payton and Oscar Robertson were all well past their primes and won their rings as supporting pieces. Only three of the greatest point guards of all time (Magic Johnson, Isiah Thomas, Walt Frazier) won rings as the best player on their team.

My point is, looking at the types of point guards that win titles, doesn't it seem like all you need out of that position is a smart player who knows how to set up his teammates? Do you really need a Derrick Rose or Chris Paul who is in full control of the game at all times? I'm not saying those guys will never get rings, because I'm betting some of them will, but it seems like building your team around a point guard just isn't the smartest thing to do.

I bring this up because we keep hearing pundits say it's a point guard driven league, when really it isn't. I don't see how it can be if elite point guards aren't the ones winning titles.

Sportfan
01-31-2012, 05:36 PM
The mavs weren't "elite" at PG, SG, SF, C and won a title.

so the argument works with every position

NYKnickFanatic
01-31-2012, 05:42 PM
I dont think you NEED and ELITE PG, but you do need a PG who knows how to do his job.

Penetrate the lane, find the open man, use the pick and roll, etc.

iliketurtles24
01-31-2012, 05:49 PM
an elite pg will help yes, do you need an ELITE pg, maybe not

KB-Pau-DH2012
01-31-2012, 05:55 PM
You need big men who can rebound and alter shots down low and can finish around the rim to make it easier for your perimeter players so they don't always have to jack up low % shots.

It really depends on the makeup of the rest of your team and the coaching philosophy.

justinnum1
01-31-2012, 05:57 PM
You need at least one good playmaker

bovice163
01-31-2012, 06:37 PM
The best team will always win the chip, whether they have an elite PG or not. LA won rings because of the triangle and having playmakers from the SG and PF position, as well as Shaq. Chicago winning is obvious. SA had prime Timmy, an aging DRob, and some very solid roleplayers. As long as you have a great team concept and players who understand their roles along with an elite player or two to carry the load when necessary, especially in the playoffs, you're going to have a great shot at winning a ring. Whether you have an elite PG or not is irrelevant.

Cfrey
01-31-2012, 06:39 PM
No you don't need elite.

But all those players you mentioned knew how to run the point.

Nick O
01-31-2012, 07:01 PM
um no.. miami, LA .. Kidd isnt really elite anymore, new york (although they suck at the moment) .. so no you dont need one..

uprightciti
01-31-2012, 07:01 PM
all of those "pg" have the highest of basketball IQ
being elite is totally different

paul, rose, williams are elite because they are the best at there positions in the league today.

MTar786
01-31-2012, 07:08 PM
i think people get it wrong when they say PG is the most important position. all are imoortant. having an elite pg doesnt give you the best shot at a rng either. if you want a championship chance. then start with an elite big and end with a really good or elite playmaker or 2. You NEED those pieces to win. look at past winners.
dallas, dirk + kidd and terry
laker, pau + kobe and odom
lakers, pau + kobe and odom
celtics, kg + pierce and rondo
spurs,duncan + parker and ginobli
heat, shaq + wade, williams and payton
spurs, duncan + parker and ginobli
pistons, sheed + billups
lakers, shaq + kobe

asandhu23
01-31-2012, 07:09 PM
Jason Kidd at this age is still an amazing point guard.

Voodoo Alchemy
01-31-2012, 07:13 PM
you need luck more than anything else

ManRam
01-31-2012, 07:13 PM
No.

Bigs and wings are more important in today's NBA, and have been forever. Give me a team that passes the ball well as a team and a unit over a team that relies on an elite PG to set everyone up himself ANYDAY of the week.

lvlheaded
01-31-2012, 07:19 PM
You need a good PG, or at least a decent one

nirvana235
01-31-2012, 07:21 PM
You don't win with short guys.

Rentzias
01-31-2012, 07:23 PM
Depends on the system and the existing personnel. Like another poster said, you could make this thread for any position really.