PDA

View Full Version : Who's gonna mow the lawn?

nstojic
01-31-2012, 02:54 PM
Jays considering a switch to real grass! I guess they've probably been told a few too many times that "i'd love to sign with you guys if you didn't have that turf" and beeston said, enough is enough

It's long been an eyesore to fans in the stands and to those watching at home on TV.

And now that they fear it might cost them the opportunity to land a premium free agent, the Toronto Blue Jays say they are seriously considering rolling up the Astroturf and installing a grass field at Rogers Centre.

read on... (read on...)

PJ Awesome
01-31-2012, 03:06 PM
I'd support the move. I've heard and seen nothing but bad things coming from this turf. Bad bounces, players being unable to run at full speed on it, injuries, and apparently people not wanting to sign here because of it^

AA09-?
01-31-2012, 03:37 PM
This could be one of the best investments the Jays make!

Bombtista
01-31-2012, 03:40 PM
Ill send in my resume. Mowing the lawns at Rogers centre would be a sweet job

craigerlee
01-31-2012, 03:47 PM
This could be one of the best investments the Jays make!

I think it could be the best investment for the Blue Jays, but not necessarily for the Rogers Centre. I'm assuming this would mean no more concerts and sold out UFC events. Not sure what it would mean for CFL and NFL though as I imagine they could still play there, just like the Raiders and Athletics do. Would like to hear more about what type of events would be lost and how much money those events bring in.

Bob_at_york
01-31-2012, 03:47 PM
I can see them letting the Argos go... but I am not sure about the Bills.

Kelly Gruber
01-31-2012, 04:32 PM
This would be amazing for the Blue Jays. And would look so much better for the fans. DO IT.

nstojic
01-31-2012, 05:26 PM
i'll play the devil's advocate... if rogers is willing to kick all non-jays events out of the dome during the season and cut that revenue out to give the jays grass and a better shot at landing some FA's, does that not correlate with being committed to fielding a winning baseball team?

aaaaaaaaaaaand GO!... :hide:

T.O. Fan
01-31-2012, 05:28 PM
I think it could be the best investment for the Blue Jays, but not necessarily for the Rogers Centre. I'm assuming this would mean no more concerts and sold out UFC events. Not sure what it would mean for CFL and NFL though as I imagine they could still play there, just like the Raiders and Athletics do. Would like to hear more about what type of events would be lost and how much money those events bring in.

I'm sure those other events could still take place, it would just likely cost them more to use a different solution to house them.

dtmagnet
01-31-2012, 05:33 PM
i'll play the devil's advocate... if rogers is willing to kick all non-jays events out of the dome during the season and cut that revenue out to give the jays grass and a better shot at landing some FA's, does that not correlate with being committed to fielding a winning baseball team?

aaaaaaaaaaaand GO!... :hide:

Yes it does, and from the sounds of it they tried to sign Beltran but he didn't want to play on the turf.

town123
01-31-2012, 05:53 PM
Never happen. Rogers is making out pretty good with the non-Jays events.

I hate to be pessimistic but I believe this is at most, Jays mgmt doing a cordial backhanded slap at Rogers.

GrumpyOldMan
02-01-2012, 08:40 AM
When Rogers/Bell bought the Leafs/Raptor/TFC, did they buy their buildings as well? If they do own the ACC and other buildings, they don't really need to lose events. Natural grass would be sooooo much better for the NFL/CFL too.
I'm semi-retired....I'll do the landscaping for tickets. :)

MVP1
02-01-2012, 09:12 AM

I see the Argos eventually moving into a 25,000 seat stadium like in montreal. As for the Bills, I see them playing when the baseball season is over.

nstojic
02-01-2012, 01:00 PM
Jays considering a switch to real grass! I guess they've probably been told a few too many times that "i'd love to sign with you guys if you didn't have that turf" and beeston said, enough is enough

wait... did you just copy my original post? (did you just copy my original post?)

Sanyo
02-01-2012, 01:01 PM
Maybe Fielder wanted grass to come here since he's a vegan...needed something to chew on in between innings...

AA09-?
02-01-2012, 01:14 PM
Maybe Fielder wanted grass to come here since he's a vegan...needed something to chew on in between innings...

So what you're saying is he'd be grazing?:)

Halladay
02-01-2012, 01:22 PM
What does Rogers care more about here? Profits(keeping turf) or a good team(grass, adding free agents). It's the former, they aren't going to scrap all events at the Rogers center for the sake of putting grass in. I'll believe it when I see it, at this point it's all smoke.

Jays#1
02-01-2012, 01:28 PM
This wouls take a serious overall of the Rogers Centre as currently constructed. If I am not mistaken there is currently no drainage at all within the Rogers Centre, this will have to be put in place in order to put real grass in as that grass would need to be watered and the water would need to be drained. We are talking about millions and millions of dollars to do this, I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Converged
02-01-2012, 02:42 PM
This wouls take a serious overall of the Rogers Centre as currently constructed. If I am not mistaken there is currently no drainage at all within the Rogers Centre, this will have to be put in place in order to put real grass in as that grass would need to be watered and the water would need to be drained. We are talking about millions and millions of dollars to do this, I don't see it happening anytime soon.

This. Would love to see it happen, but just empty promises.

MVP1
02-01-2012, 04:53 PM
Roger$ payed 25 million for the SkyDome and made few changes since then. What makes you think they will put grass?

Bob_at_york
02-01-2012, 04:58 PM
Roger$ payed 25 million for the SkyDome and made few changes since then. What makes you think they will put grass?

you don't feel the changes on 100 level and the new screen aren't big changes?

scottythegreat1
02-01-2012, 05:14 PM
Lets take out all the concrete out of Rogers Centre....put in a drainage system, real dirt, spray on some grass in a stadium that doesny open 100% completely so itll have to be watered in certain areas and maybe a little sunshine while keeping it open for UFC events, monster truck conventions, etc; its not worth it.

Rogers Centre is a multi-purpose stadium designed primarily for baseball....but its not a baseball only venue like most of the others. We started our ballpark too early....We started building our ballpark at the beginning of the "lets build a new stadium" revolution....Near the end of the "build a roof" era....we built the first fully functional retractable roof system....We wanted it to be a futuristic ballpark, and it was, until everyone decided to go retro "baseball only" with better viewing and more luxury boxes. We built our stadium at the end of the multi purpose venue era, so theres very little you can do except spend a couple million dollars to make baseball more appealing while covering up grass for the monster truck conventions.

We are STUCK in the ballpark due to the cost of building a new one, and Rob Ford wont commit to building another stadium. Skydome was the biggest thorn in the side for all governments involved, do you think that a city thats crying poor is going to build a new one just so that a few players will come here??? I dont think so.

If we are a winning team, theyll play here anyways and forget about it, the turf is just a cop out reason for them to not come here....They dont want to play for us because we arent a winner, and I wouldnt want spoiled players on my team...If youre a prima donna, take your drama and go play for New York or Boston. Players wouldnt play for Texas for years, now that theyre winning, theyre going there, once we start winning, the players will come.

craigerlee
02-01-2012, 05:46 PM
Lets take out all the concrete out of Rogers Centre....put in a drainage system, real dirt, spray on some grass in a stadium that doesny open 100% completely so itll have to be watered in certain areas and maybe a little sunshine while keeping it open for UFC events, monster truck conventions, etc; its not worth it.

Rogers Centre is a multi-purpose stadium designed primarily for baseball....but its not a baseball only venue like most of the others. We started our ballpark too early....We started building our ballpark at the beginning of the "lets build a new stadium" revolution....Near the end of the "build a roof" era....we built the first fully functional retractable roof system....We wanted it to be a futuristic ballpark, and it was, until everyone decided to go retro "baseball only" with better viewing and more luxury boxes. We built our stadium at the end of the multi purpose venue era, so theres very little you can do except spend a couple million dollars to make baseball more appealing while covering up grass for the monster truck conventions.

We are STUCK in the ballpark due to the cost of building a new one, and Rob Ford wont commit to building another stadium. Skydome was the biggest thorn in the side for all governments involved, do you think that a city thats crying poor is going to build a new one just so that a few players will come here??? I dont think so.

If we are a winning team, theyll play here anyways and forget about it, the turf is just a cop out reason for them to not come here....They dont want to play for us because we arent a winner, and I wouldnt want spoiled players on my team...If youre a prima donna, take your drama and go play for New York or Boston. Players wouldnt play for Texas for years, now that theyre winning, theyre going there, once we start winning, the players will come.

I agree that there's probably strong evidence that its not cost effective to put grass in the Skydome. However I think your underestimating how bad the players feel about the turf. I know players have asked for trades, Glaus for sure asked for a trade cause of the turf. I wouldn't be shocked at all if Turf is part of the reason players aren't landing in Toronto, I imagine constantly going through customs is another deterrent.

Tmath
02-01-2012, 06:15 PM
Get rid of the turf, I hate it.

bomber0104
02-02-2012, 01:47 AM
would be awesome but I dont see it happening

Gordow
02-02-2012, 06:59 PM

The Argos should be playing somewhere like BMO Field and not Rogers Ctr.
It's like watching a high school game in a NCAA football field ,, not suited at all for the CFL

JaysFan87
02-02-2012, 09:37 PM

They wouldn't have to. Just make sure that there no games untill the end of october.

JaysFan87
02-02-2012, 09:41 PM
Never happen. Rogers is making out pretty good with the non-Jays events.

I hate to be pessimistic but I believe this is at most, Jays mgmt doing a cordial backhanded slap at Rogers.

It is essentially up to Beaston. Yes Rogers does own the stadium but Beaston is the CEO of Rogers Centre as well as the blue jays. Beaston doesn't seem like the type who will be a corporate puppet. And at the very least would put up a significant fight if he truly does want grass at the Rogers Centre.

StealingSigns
02-03-2012, 03:38 AM
It is essentially up to Beaston. Yes Rogers does own the stadium but Beaston is the CEO of Rogers Centre as well as the blue jays. Beaston doesn't seem like the type who will be a corporate puppet. And at the very least would put up a significant fight if he truly does want grass at the Rogers Centre.

Like it or not, "Beaston" is a corporate puppet. He has been tasked to make the Rogers Center profitable, for both baseball and non-baseball events.

I think what is really interesting is he is outwardly musing about a "baseball only" tenant. Argos are gone, clearly. That means that Rogers has considered the financial aspect of:
1: Losing the Argos
2: Assuming the cost of converting to grass
3: Looked at how to accommodate the other 284 days of the year the Jays aren't playing regular season games

Jeff Blair's sources says this is doable.

There is too much smoke here to not totally discard this as another Roger's PR scheme. It's interesting to note: Rogers has a stake in BMO Field now. Looking at how the Alouettes re surged in a smaller outdoor stadium, this might be the route to go.

'94 Expos
02-06-2012, 02:53 AM
I agree that the Dome is no place for the Argos.

I have watched several football games over the years. The sightlines are terrible!

In general mulit-purpose stadiums suck. As the name implies, they are adequate for everything and great for nothing.

That being said, I still love going to see the Jays and when the Skydome is full or close to it the atmosphere is great. The sightlines for ball aren't bad (anyone ever been to the Big O in Montreal?). And for out of town fans like myself, there have been more then a couple times where I would have driven to the Center of the Universe for nothing if the roof wasn't able to close.

Grass would be fantastic but I'll believe it when I see it.

masTOR_shake1
02-06-2012, 03:48 AM
the argos will move to bmo field where tfc play. as for the bills and monster truck shows..:shrug: the bills are better served in buffalo, the skydome games are supposed to be a novilty so it's hard to revolve around them.

Bob_at_york
02-06-2012, 10:13 AM
the argos will move to bmo field where tfc play. as for the bills and monster truck shows..:shrug: the bills are better served in buffalo, the skydome games are supposed to be a novilty so it's hard to revolve around them.

Isn't BMO a really small field?

Bombtista
02-06-2012, 10:37 AM
Isn't BMO a really small field?

its a Soccer stadium that holds 20000 people. I think they could make it work if the argos needed a home

Bob_at_york
02-06-2012, 10:50 AM
its a Soccer stadium that holds 20000 people. I think they could make it work if the argos needed a home

Aren't the Argos attedance over 20,000 a season? They would have to make all sorts of additions and such to BMO. I am not sure if it is the right fit.

Towelie
02-06-2012, 01:19 PM
Finally! It would be amazing for not only the Roger Centre but for the players. Turf just looks gross to me.

craigerlee
02-06-2012, 02:51 PM
Aren't the Argos attedance over 20,000 a season? They would have to make all sorts of additions and such to BMO. I am not sure if it is the right fit.

I think the bigger problem is that you can't fit a CFL field in BMO Field with its current construction. I think that's the biggest problem, as temporary seating is really easy to build. I don't know what the Argos would do if Rogers kicked them out of Rogers Centre to make it a baseball only stadium. I think they'd temporarily have to play their games in Hamilton until another field was built for them.

Bombtista
02-06-2012, 03:01 PM
Are the Argos not under some kind of contract with Rogers? I don't think they have the right to just kick them out of their stadium because its convenient.

I dont know the dimensions of a CFL field but much bigger would BMO need to be in order to fit the Argos?

It seems like the only option within Toronto that they have with anywhere close to the appropriate amount of seating.

craigerlee
02-06-2012, 03:21 PM
Are the Argos not under some kind of contract with Rogers? I don't think they have the right to just kick them out of their stadium because its convenient.
Their lease runs up at the end of 2012, so Jays/Rogers Centre could just decide not to renew the lease. Nothing could happen prior to 2012.

I dont know the dimensions of a CFL field but much bigger would BMO need to be in order to fit the Argos?

It seems like the only option within Toronto that they have with anywhere close to the appropriate amount of seating.

I'm not sure but a CFL playing field needs to be 130x65 yards. It says BMO Field of play is 115x75 yards. So I imagine the problem is with the length of the field.

I'm pretty sure the Argos just need a new stadium in general. I think years ago they pulled out of building a joint stadium with York, I wonder if that could be back on the table as I think that's the only way they could afford a new stadium as there's no way the city is coughing up the money or should they.

2009mvp
02-06-2012, 03:44 PM
I'd rather they just disappeared than spend a dime of taxpayer money on a stadium for them. I get that the CFL is big elsewhere in Canada, but does anyone really give a crap in Toronto? Of course I'm pretty skeptical of the Jays being serious about the whole grass thing, so I'd fully expect the Argos to negotiate another lease with the Rogers Center soon.

craigerlee
02-06-2012, 04:07 PM
I'd rather they just disappeared than spend a dime of taxpayer money on a stadium for them. I get that the CFL is big elsewhere in Canada, but does anyone really give a crap in Toronto? Of course I'm pretty skeptical of the Jays being serious about the whole grass thing, so I'd fully expect the Argos to negotiate another lease with the Rogers Center soon.

I'd rather they just trade the Argos in for an NFL franchise. However until they get an NFL franchise in Toronto I think there's always gonna be people that wanna see football and unless you wanna drive to Hamilton the Argos are the only ticket. I really think if they had an outdoor stadium or could be moved to BMO field they'd do much better than playing at Rogers Centre. Its depressing watching a team as awful as the Argos in 50,000 seat stadium that's less than half full.

nstojic
02-06-2012, 04:29 PM
what they did with the field for the soccer matches (what they did with the field for the soccer matches)

darius
02-06-2012, 04:32 PM

The track around the field would have to be taken out, and the field enlarged quite a bit.

I don't have a link, but I've read it would take $25M in renos to get BMO up to 25K seats (CFL minimum) and to expand the field.

This would revive the Argos, a great thing for the CFL and the team, so kicking kicked out of the Rogers Centre might be a blessing, ala the Alouettes when they were forced to use McGill Stadium. So, for that, $25M would be a steal and they wouldn't need a new stadium. Braley is rich, he can get the government to help too.

And then the Jays could get a grass field, which would be awesome. The grass could be taken out when the season ends and fieldturf back in for Bills games, concerts, etc.

I think it's win win for the Jays and Argos.

craigerlee
02-06-2012, 05:27 PM
what they did with the field for the soccer matches (what they did with the field for the soccer matches)

I imagine if we got grass they'd want it there permanently. I can't imagine they could keep the sod there permanently without building some type of drainage system so the grass doesn't die.

2009mvp
02-06-2012, 07:22 PM
The track around the field would have to be taken out, and the field enlarged quite a bit.

I don't have a link, but I've read it would take $25M in renos to get BMO up to 25K seats (CFL minimum) and to expand the field.

This would revive the Argos, a great thing for the CFL and the team, so kicking kicked out of the Rogers Centre might be a blessing, ala the Alouettes when they were forced to use McGill Stadium. So, for that, $25M would be a steal and they wouldn't need a new stadium. Braley is rich, he can get the government to help too.

And then the Jays could get a grass field, which would be awesome. The grass could be taken out when the season ends and fieldturf back in for Bills games, concerts, etc.

I think it's win win for the Jays and Argos.

Ugh

darius
02-06-2012, 07:50 PM
Ugh

No, no, not charity. I think Toronto needs to do this to BMO anyway for the 2015 Pan-AM Games...maybe to add seats. But it would take the sting out of the stadium renos for the Argos.

2009mvp
02-06-2012, 08:36 PM
^^Yeah that makes sense given the situation we're already in, don't get me started on that Pan-Am games crap.

'94 Expos
02-07-2012, 04:08 AM

That's crap man! The Center of the Universe baby! Same reason the Jays don't have enough bums in the seats. Hogtown fans (except for the die hards) want a trendy winner. Otherwise they are stayin home and *****ing about how Rogers won't spend $200 million on the team.

The Argos have a long storied history. Respect it.

StealingSigns
02-07-2012, 04:14 AM
That's crap man! The Center of the Universe baby! Same reason the Jays don't have enough bums in the seats. Hogtown fans (except for the die hards) want a trendy winner. Otherwise they are stayin home and *****ing about how Rogers won't spend $200 million on the team.

I do, but...

Their long, storied history predated 1988, when the dome was constructed.

They seldomly fill it.

Maybe the Argos renaissance is found somewhere along the lines of where the Alouettes found theirs, outdoors. I.E. BMO Field.

Bring on the grass.

MVP1
02-07-2012, 03:08 PM

Funny coming from a Expos fan. How's your team doing?

'94 Expos
02-08-2012, 04:00 AM
I do, but...

They seldomly fill it.

Maybe the Argos renaissance is found somewhere along the lines of where the Alouettes found theirs, outdoors. I.E. BMO Field.

Bring on the grass.

I totally agree. The Als couldn't draw flies to...... in the Big O. The atmosphere there was terrible. Then they moved to McGill where football was meant to be played and haven't looked back since (doesn't hurt that the team has been good to excellent for the whole time though).

It was the 'I wouldn't lift a finger' for the Argos that got my riled up.

'94 Expos
02-08-2012, 04:05 AM
Funny coming from a Expos fan. How's your team doing?

Touche!

I am a Jays fan and an Expos fan. As you know, the Expos became the Nationals. Sadly, the Nationals turned their back on all the Expos core values making cheering for them out of the question.

The reasons for the Expos leaving are varied and many. Without a doubt, fan support was an issue. But just because Montreal sucked the hind tit doesn't mean that it's ok for Toronto to do it too.

town123
02-08-2012, 09:54 AM
Touche!

I am a Jays fan and an Expos fan. As you know, the Expos became the Nationals. Sadly, the Nationals turned their back on all the Expos core values making cheering for them out of the question.

The reasons for the Expos leaving are varied and many. Without a doubt, fan support was an issue. But just because Montreal sucked the hind tit doesn't mean that it's ok for Toronto to do it too.

The core values went to Florida, not Washington.

fatkev78
02-09-2012, 02:33 PM
Facing the possibility of being evicted as Rogers Centre tenants should the Blue Jays install a grass field sometime following the 2012 season, the Toronto Argonauts say they are prepared to look for a new home.

Earlier this month at the Toronto Blue Jays state of the franchise event, team president and Rogers Centre CEO Paul Beeston revealed the team is exploring the possibility of replacing its current Astro Turf playing surface with real grass.

Beeston added that in order to sustain the grass, it would mean the stadium’s seats could not be reconfigured during the baseball season. In other words, a grass field would turn the Roges Centre into a baseball only facility from April through October, leaving the Toronto Argonauts in need of a new home.

"When Paul said that to his subscribers the other night I wasn’t surprised," newly appointed Argos president Chris Rudge told the Toronto Star. "I know how much the ballplayers hate it; they have real issues with it. So there could be a lot of challenges where we will play.

"We’re looking at potential alternatives," Rudge added without revealing specifics. "I’m certainly not panicking. I’m sure Rogers will give us ample time. No doubt Paul Beeston will be fair. We will find a way to work through this.

The Argonauts lease with the Rogers Centre expires after the 2012 season and this fall’s Grey Cup will be held there as well.

Rudge told the Star he and Beeston recently had breakfast together where the Blue Jays president discussed the possibility of the grass field.

"They want to make the experience better for their fans, the same way we do," he said. "They think grass would be part of that. So if grass becomes a reality, we will deal with it."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/2012/02/09/argos_rogerscentre_grass/

2009mvp
02-09-2012, 02:55 PM
Nice! Count me among those who at first thought it was just a throwaway comment from Beeston in response to a fan, but it certainly sounds like they've been seriously exploring the possibility. The Argos can slide into the soccer arena they're building on the York campus for the Pan-Am games and everyone would be happy.

StealingSigns
02-15-2012, 12:16 AM
Forget about grass. The idea is up in smoke...

http://www.fan590.com/media.jsp?content=20120214_181739_4452

Paul Beeston quotes:

"We're not contemplating it at the current time"

Asked if it might happen in the next 5 years by Stephen Brunt: "I don't see that"

"Do I think it's going to happen? No. But do I think it could happen? Yes."

Oh, come on. Beest, you are really starting to lose some cred here. Did you not do your homework before making those statements at the State of the Franchise event?

Krylian
02-15-2012, 12:23 AM
From what I've heard and read the average stadium has a life span of about 30 years, give or take. We're starting year 24 now. Don't be surprised if you start hearing some rumblings about a new, Baseball only, stadium talked about in the next 5 or so years.

StealingSigns
02-15-2012, 12:40 AM
From what I've heard and read the average stadium has a life span of about 30 years, give or take. We're starting year 24 now. Don't be surprised if you start hearing some rumblings about a new, Baseball only, stadium talked about in the next 5 or so years.

Perhaps. I just don't see it involving taxpayer money in the current political climate. If Rogers can go it alone... knock yourselves out.

JaysFan87
02-15-2012, 12:50 AM
Perhaps. I just don't see it involving taxpayer money in the current political climate. If Rogers can go it alone... knock yourselves out.

And then ask yourself where would you put it? Exhibition Grounds seems liek it wont be a good fit and then there is no where left downtown. DOnt say the portlands either because of a) lack of transit b) and more important the ineffective and political posturing happening at city hall right now means that nothing is going to get done for a while.

2009mvp
02-15-2012, 02:21 AM
Yeah I don't think people realize how sweet Toronto has it in terms of accessibility to both the Rogers Center and the ACC. As cool as it would be to have a baseball only stadium, the Dome will do just fine for at least another decade or so.

StealingSigns
02-15-2012, 04:03 AM
And then ask yourself where would you put it? Exhibition Grounds seems liek it wont be a good fit and then there is no where left downtown. DOnt say the portlands either because of a) lack of transit b) and more important the ineffective and political posturing happening at city hall right now means that nothing is going to get done for a while.

I hear you. I'm not the one proposing a new stadium, just saying that in this political climate, it would have to be a private sector undertaking.

Yeah I don't think people realize how sweet Toronto has it in terms of accessibility to both the Rogers Center and the ACC. As cool as it would be to have a baseball only stadium, the Dome will do just fine for at least another decade or so.

Agreed. Besides, Rogers is not done yet extracting their investment from the massive slab of concrete down at Blue Jays Way.

wagnall
02-15-2012, 08:22 PM
I do, but...

They seldomly fill it.

Bring on the grass.

I can't remember the last time the Argos sold out. I'm amazed when we play Hamilton and they still only get 24000. Montreals best move was moving to a smaller outdoor staduim and they are fine drawing 25000 a game, and move the playoffs indoors. Argos games look dreadful on TV when you see more empty seats than filled.

I would also think that in this day and age they could still accomodate all events even if they put down grass. JMHO :)

town123
02-17-2012, 06:29 PM
Again... more crap from Beeston, yapping and hoping for what he wants. Then he has to backpedal whend his boss says to him; 'not happening'.