PDA

View Full Version : Do superstars win championships?

BallIsAll
01-31-2012, 12:49 PM
http://nba-411.com/content.php?190-Do-superstars-win-championships

That's a question most GMs around the league have probably been asking themselves since the Miami Heat somehow figured out a way to get 3 of the leagues top 10 basketball players. Dwayne Wade, Lebron James and Chris Bosh set a new mindset to NBA players. They can now force trades to play with their friends on the same team in the market they want to play for, but does it win championships? Let's take a look at what took place just 8 months after the Lebron James "The Decision" fiasco. Carmelo Anthony former Denver Nugget small forward suddenly decided he wanted out of Denver and in to the bright lights of New York to play along side all star power forward and friend Amare Stoudamire. The New York Knicks gave up 4 of their 5 starters in order to acquire Carmelo Anthony. They gave up point guard Raymond Felton who was having a career year while being considered for the first all star game of his career. They gave up Danilo Gallinari their 2008 first round draft pick who is slowly but surely becoming an all star and a go-to guy in Denver. They also gave up Wilson Chandler a versatile player who can play any position from shooting guard to power forward and has quite an arsenal ranging from hard dunks at the rim to a silky smooth release from 3-point range. Lastly they gave up their athletic rookie center Timofy Mozgov who has a really soft touch and smooth release on his jumpshot. If you were clueless of what happened after the trade and I asked you how you think the Knicks are doing this season, what would your answer be? Mine would be they have to of the best scorers in the league which are considered superstars, they must be at least 2nd in the east. Then I'd look at the standings (so far they are not even in the playoffs) and question wether one has been out this whole season or they are allowing 161 points per game while averaging 160. It's been said the teams can't win without superstars in the playoffs because they wouldn't have a go-to guy to keep them in it in the last seconds. Let's take a look at the lakers one of the best teams in the league for the past few years. Some fans without knowledge of the game would give all the credit to their superstar Kobe, but did you know that Derek Fisher bailed them out multiple times with last second shots? Did you know he hit more than one buzzer beater to secure a victory? Of course star players are a pleasure to have and with a star player on your roster it would be easier to win tightly contested games. But this is a professional sport, coaches get paid big to coach not sit on a bench and watch the game. Towards the end of a tightly contested playoff game a coach wouldn't just give his star players the ball and tell them to make something happen. (well unless that coach is Mike D'Antoni) the key to winning key games late is a smart play and execution. If a coach draws up an interesting play that can surely win them the game but the players don't execute correctly, the team will not win. That is a fact, ask Phil Jackson. So to answer this question: Do superstars win championships? Yes superstars do win championships, but so do teams with talent and a high IQ.*

Algmuskrats
01-31-2012, 12:55 PM
Other then when the Pistons won, I would say you need a superstar/leader.

Fnom11
01-31-2012, 12:59 PM
If only paragraphs existed.

Gibby23
01-31-2012, 01:01 PM
Dirk
Kobe
Kobe
Pierce/KG
Duncan
Wade/Shaq
Duncan
Pistons with 4 all stars
Duncan
Shaq/Kobe
Shaq/Kobe
Shaq/Kobe
Duncan/Robinson
Jordan
Jordan
Jordan
Hakeem/Drexler
Hakeem
Jordan
Jordan
Jordan

theheatles
01-31-2012, 01:14 PM
^ damn, tried the **** out of pippen, you mention pierce but not scottie?

Gibby23
01-31-2012, 01:18 PM

I just did it quick. Should have put Gasol and Pippen on it and Parker and manu for some of the Spurs teams.

BallIsAll
01-31-2012, 01:21 PM
The paragraphs didn't work and yea you need a leader to win period

thekmp211
01-31-2012, 01:36 PM
talent almost always wins out, period.

Da Knicks
01-31-2012, 01:36 PM
knicks do that trade 10 out of 10 times, you go for the superstar if you have the chance!

JordansBulls
01-31-2012, 01:42 PM
Dirk
Kobe
Kobe
Pierce/KG
Duncan
Wade/Shaq
Duncan
Pistons with 4 all stars
Duncan
Shaq/Kobe
Shaq/Kobe
Shaq/Kobe
Duncan/Robinson
Jordan
Jordan
Jordan
Hakeem/Drexler
Hakeem
Jordan
Jordan
Jordan

Ben Wallace was the only allstar on that team.

JordansBulls
01-31-2012, 01:43 PM

The Celtics was Pierce's team. He was the building block and he also won finals mvp even though Garnett was the better player.

Gibby23
01-31-2012, 01:44 PM

rasheed was an all star prior and the year after the championship all 4 made it.

JordansBulls
01-31-2012, 01:47 PM
rasheed was an all star prior and the year after the championship all 4 made it.

They all made it in 2006, not 2005. Only Ben Wallace was the only allstar prior to that. And the only reason they made it in 2006 was because the team started like 37-5.

Gram
01-31-2012, 01:49 PM
Dirk
Kobe
Kobe
Pierce/KG
Duncan
Wade/Shaq
Duncan
Pistons with 4 all stars
Duncan
Shaq/Kobe
Shaq/Kobe
Shaq/Kobe
Duncan/Robinson
Jordan
Jordan
Jordan
Hakeem/Drexler
Hakeem
Jordan
Jordan
Jordan

Should have been 5. ;)

Gibby23
01-31-2012, 01:51 PM
They all made it in 2006, not 2005. Only Ben Wallace was the only allstar prior to that.

Rasheed never made the west all star team? He did. The point being all 4 of those guys were in the prime of their career and even though 2 of them made an all star team after the title it doesn't mean they were not great players the year of the title run and you also throw in the non all star in Prince who I think was just a big a part of that championship team as the other 4 guys.

Gram
01-31-2012, 01:52 PM
They all made it in 2006, not 2005. Only Ben Wallace was the only allstar prior to that. And the only reason they made it in 2006 was because the team started like 37-5.

So you're saying that because they played as a team they shouldn't have been named All Stars? They had more than enough talent individually to be named All Stars. Tayshaun had a great year that year too, and should have made it as well.

3RDASYSTEM
01-31-2012, 02:07 PM
People keep bringing up Pistons squad but they had 4allstars that or next yr season and RIP/BILLUPS were top 7 picks with BILLUPS being #3overall and playing at that level regards of being a AS or not, and R.WALLACE was a top PF and a top 3 pick when he came out and combine that with the D of both WALLACE boys and one being on verge a 4x Def. player of yr in a LB Dscheme,its a wrap

Yea Superstars can win it all,but the pct is basically slim to none...Olajuwon did it though he did have a great interior post defender in THORPE and fearless perimeter players in MAXWELL/SMITH/HORRY and DREXLER followin yr,but he basically did it and then it almost happened with LEBRON/IVERSON but they got swept and beaten in 5 respectively...LEBRON had BIG Z and IVERSON had MCKIE, the latter has to be the weakest 'robin' to ever be in FINALS, ever

Nycbball08
01-31-2012, 02:21 PM
:up:
If only paragraphs existed.

Vincent
01-31-2012, 02:23 PM
or.... do most players become Superstars AFTER they win the Championship.... hmmmm?

Pierzynski4Prez
01-31-2012, 02:27 PM
Dirk
Kobe
Kobe
Pierce/KG
Duncan
Wade/Shaq
Duncan
Pistons with 4 all stars
Duncan
Shaq/Kobe
Shaq/Kobe
Shaq/Kobe
Duncan/Robinson
Jordan
Jordan
Jordan
Hakeem/Drexler
Hakeem
Jordan
Jordan
Jordan

The Celtics was Pierce's team. He was the building block and he also won finals mvp even though Garnett was the better player.

Surprised you didn't jump all over Gibby for only listing Kobe. You should have reminded him that Kobe didn't even lead his team in WS/48.

Gibby23
01-31-2012, 02:29 PM
Surprised you didn't jump all over Gibby for only listing Kobe. You should have reminded him that Kobe didn't even lead his team in WS/48.

lol.. I knew I should have checked the WS/48.

Marco22
01-31-2012, 02:45 PM
No! Good teams win championships Ask The Boston Celtics. When they was on that roll year ago.

thekmp211
01-31-2012, 03:16 PM
So you're saying that because they played as a team they shouldn't have been named All Stars? They had more than enough talent individually to be named All Stars. Tayshaun had a great year that year too, and should have made it as well.

well no the 4 starters made the asg in 2005-6 after they won. in 2004 none of them played in the game. but that proves the point that the asg is not a good barometer of talent. the pistons were a really talented team.

BallIsAll
01-31-2012, 03:53 PM
or.... do most players become Superstars AFTER they win the Championship.... hmmmm?

This is also a good point although not entirely, do players become superstars after showing they can win not just a championship but win in the regular season and in the playoffs

Ebbs
01-31-2012, 04:41 PM
You can have a great regular season without a super star sure. It's very hard to continue that success in the post season without one.

joehieronymus
01-31-2012, 06:12 PM
in the association, history suggests you require a superstar to navigate the post-season to a championship...in other sports, it becomes quite a bit less evident

MassoDio
01-31-2012, 06:18 PM
Except for the occasional anomaly, yes superstars win championships. And some superstars win more than others. And some superstars never win one. But teams without at least one superstar, rarely win the championship.

bringinwood
01-31-2012, 06:24 PM
Championships are absolutely won by superstars...

Give me a team that DIDNT have a superstar and won a championship...

Pierce, Garnett, Sheed, and Wallace were all considered superstars when the Celtics and Pistons won their championships...

A team that would be considered a superstarless team that is winning right now would be the 76ers...

Think they'll win a championship ??? They would be one of the 1st teams in NBA history to do so...

Alayla
01-31-2012, 07:44 PM
I'm going way out of left field here and saying no superstars down win championships TEAMS do it just so happens the superstars play for TEAMS. this is a TEAM sport get used to it.

Bruno
01-31-2012, 08:02 PM
Dirk
Kobe
Kobe
Pierce/KG
Duncan
Wade/Shaq
Duncan
Pistons with 4 all stars
Duncan
Shaq/Kobe
Shaq/Kobe
Shaq/Kobe
Duncan/Robinson
Jordan
Jordan
Jordan
Hakeem/Drexler
Hakeem
Jordan
Jordan
Jordan

x2. the nba super-star is more responsible for his teams success than any other individual player in professional team sports.

AIRMAR72
01-31-2012, 08:48 PM
talent sometime win champianship but boils down to team chemistry to win multiple champianship and earn the dynasty title but with 2 very skill guy you can also win but it always comes down to chemistry and heart(will to win)

nycericanguy
02-01-2012, 10:20 AM
Yes...there are exceptions of course like DET, but that team had 4 or 5 all stars and a ferocious defense.

Chronz
02-01-2012, 11:52 AM

Not according to the stats but in terms of popularity yes, but why are you going by that? Dont tell me you once considered BJ Armstrong an All-Star

Chronz
02-01-2012, 11:54 AM
Celtics were KG's team because he was the better player. The only thing Pierce did was get there first, choke in the clutch, and had a better Finals.

Chronz
02-01-2012, 11:56 AM

Tay has never been an All-Star

Rockice_8
02-01-2012, 11:57 AM
The Piston squad is the exception to the rule. . . . DEN trying to win with that model but I doubt have true Championship potential.

Stars win. . . I think I'd rather have two and a more balanced squad then 3 like Miami but either way, when you have true stars you're gonna be good.

Gibby23
02-01-2012, 12:05 PM
Tay has never been an All-Star

Do you agree that Tay was just as important to that team as the other 4 guys the year they won the Finals? I think he did a great job defending Kobe.

Chronz
02-01-2012, 04:27 PM
Do you agree that Tay was just as important to that team as the other 4 guys the year they won the Finals? I think he did a great job defending Kobe.
I do not agree, there is nothing I can say to argue about his defense but Im not swayed when you consider that he wasnt his teams best player on either end. Good all-around player but cmon, Big Shot and Ben were at the top of their games.

dh144498
02-01-2012, 08:14 PM
Should have been 5. ;)

5 all stars, but not superstars.

Either way the Pistons team that year was my favorite line up this decade.