PDA

View Full Version : Return of Halladay, or forget it?

bluenoserINsd
01-31-2012, 03:17 AM
I, like just about everyone else is pumped about the direction the Jays are going in. For once it looks like there could be a light at the end of a tunnel... instead of Riccardi blinding us with a strobe light.

I think we can confidently say that we will be a competitive team for years to come, assuming a percentage of our boys in the farm can live up to expectations. The farm really got bolstered by losing Halladay- giving us d'Arnaud, Drabek and Gose.

Everyone always holds on to the thought that Halladay may return to Toronto. He is easily one of my favourite players that I've ever seen in the majors. If management were to bring Halladay back- we would have to be a very competitive team. So a few questions... do you realistically think we can get him back while he is still an effective pitcher (even as a number 2 or 3 starter)? Even if we were in the competitive position (and financial position) to bring him back, do you want him, or have we moved on to a new era of Bluejays baseball? Do you think Halladay would want to come back? Or do you think he considers Philly (and all their wins and sell-out crowds) to be his home now?

scaramantula
01-31-2012, 04:12 AM
even if hes terrible he should retire as a bluejay, whens his contract up 2 years? perfect time to win another championship,

mad_mooney
01-31-2012, 04:17 AM
He clearly wants to win...as long as the Jays languish behind NYC, Boston, Tampa, Detroit, Texas and Anaheim, talent-wise, he will not agree to come back....until no one else will have him.

mtf
01-31-2012, 09:12 AM
I'm holding out an irrational hope that he does make a return late in his career when the Blue Jays are hopefully contenders, because it might coincide with Philadelphia entering a rebuild. However, as long as Cliff Lee & Roy Halladay are both pitching at a high level, it's hard to see Philadelphia shutting things down, even in 2/3 years. It would probably require some of their division rivals really picking up their compete level.

wamco
01-31-2012, 09:57 AM
I, like just about everyone else is pumped about the direction the Jays are going in. For once it looks like there could be a light at the end of a tunnel... instead of Riccardi blinding us with a strobe light.

AA easily has traded away more talent in terms of prospects that JP. Baseball america rated jp's drafts as "above average".

Krylian
01-31-2012, 10:57 AM
IMO JP's drafts were marginal. He picked up a few good pieces but his unwillingness to draft high ceiling high schoolers made me want to vomit.

This system is loaded with high ceiling talent. Some of it won't pan out...some of it will be dealt...and some of it will pan out and be part of the core for years to come.

I say the chance of Halladay returning to Toronto as somewhere in the neighbourhood of 1%.

scottythegreat1
01-31-2012, 11:21 AM
Forget it.

We HAD our chance to be winners when he was here. He is in Philadelphia now, and I doubt he is going to leave.

Like some people said on here already, maybe when he is in his late 30s, but the chances are less than 1% that he returns.

AA09-?
01-31-2012, 12:54 PM
Philly hasn't won anything yet and there offense doesn't look like it's improving any, you never know.

Krylian
01-31-2012, 04:45 PM
Philly hasn't won anything yet and there offense doesn't look like it's improving any, you never know.

During Doc's tenure as a Blue Jay he made the playoffs 0% of the time.

With the Phillies, it has been 100% of the time so far.

With the Phillies, the team has put him in a position to win a championship...in Toronto, that was never the case. There is no motivation for him to leave.

GNick
01-31-2012, 04:52 PM
Doc be getting up there when his contract is up. I little Jack Morris role maybe

LuckyLuke2
01-31-2012, 04:57 PM
I doubt it very much. He has already shown class towards the city when he left and all that cute stuff and the city of Toronto has moved on.

If he ever did come back, it would be pretty cool but again I doubt it.

AA09-?
01-31-2012, 05:12 PM
During Doc's tenure as a Blue Jay he made the playoffs 0% of the time.

With the Phillies, it has been 100% of the time so far.

With the Phillies, the team has put him in a position to win a championship...in Toronto, that was never the case. There is no motivation for him to leave.

I don't disagree with you, however, my point is that the Phillies aren't getting any better offensively with the club they have, so I, myself, wouldn't bet on them winning the WS.

dtmagnet
01-31-2012, 05:26 PM
I would definitely love for him to come back, I just think he has moved on from us mentally.

wamco
01-31-2012, 07:03 PM
IMO JP's drafts were marginal. He picked up a few good pieces but his unwillingness to draft high ceiling high schoolers made me want to vomit.

This system is loaded with high ceiling talent. Some of it won't pan out...some of it will be dealt...and some of it will pan out and be part of the core for years to come.

I say the chance of Halladay returning to Toronto as somewhere in the neighbourhood of 1%.

-I'll go with baseball america

Farsight
01-31-2012, 07:52 PM

AA easily has traded away more talent in terms of prospects that JP. Baseball america rated jp's drafts as "above average". Well the reason that we are able to trade away talent is because we have an abundance of depth and talent in our farm, which allow us to fill holes. Whereas with J.P., we never had that luxury to the same extent

WhatSayYou
01-31-2012, 08:13 PM
If we actually put up some results before he hits FA I think for sure he'd come back! He clearly loved Toronto he just hated losing every year, but if Toronto can sneak into the playoffs in one of of these upcoming years I can totally see it.

2009mvp
01-31-2012, 09:05 PM
He's got 3 more years before he hits free agency, isn't this a bit premature?

Sanyo
01-31-2012, 09:36 PM
Well he'll be 37 when he becomes a free agent and I still think he'll be very good, but to expect him to return to be an ace will obviously not be realistic -- but if the Jays are contending in 2015 and Halladay is done with Philly by that point, wouldn't shock me to see him return for a 2 year deal or something though by 2015 the Jays should have a solid rotation with any combination of Romero, Morrow, Alvarez, Hutch, McGuire, Drabek, Syndergaard, Wojo, Nicolino and maybe Norris as a rookie coming up in 2015...still lots of time, 3 years is an eternity let's wait and see...

Pfeifer
01-31-2012, 09:58 PM
As a Canucks fan it would be like Trevor linden coming bck to Vancouver. It would be cool, but it will never be the same.

wamco
02-02-2012, 09:04 AM
Well the reason that we are able to trade away talent is because we have an abundance of depth and talent in our farm, which allow us to fill holes. Whereas with J.P., we never had that luxury to the same extent

-even though baseball america gave his drafts a grade of "above average"?

And I'm not even saying the trades weren't warranted or good ones, but people can't go on and on about JP "going for it" with 3 free agents in 7 years and mortgaging the future, when it simply wasn't true. And I hated JP , I was the guy in here saying he wasn't good enough when most others were still on his nuts till the day of his firing. I thought he should have been fired rather than extended actually, whatever year that was.

nithanyo
02-03-2012, 11:15 AM

AA easily has traded away more talent in terms of prospects that JP. Baseball america rated jp's drafts as "above average".

Let it go man. JP was a horrible GM

wamco
02-03-2012, 04:02 PM
I said as much while he was here while others thought I was crazy.