PDA

View Full Version : Rudy Gay

BH-Sports
01-31-2012, 02:05 AM
Hey guys.. Just wanted to ask a question here about Rudy Gay. When he came out of Uconn, I really liked his game and thought he would be a perennial all-star. However, my perception of him changes almost drastically every time I get to watch the Grizzlies play this year. He scored a "point" against San Antonio and great players never fail to score a basket in a game. It looks like when he's in there, he doesn't do anything to help the team win. He pretty much just stands in the perimeter waiting for his touches so he can shoot one up. I see no rebounding from him, no making players around him better by creating opportunities, nor the hustle that I see great players play with every night. With Z-bo out, he should get as many touches as any other great player but he just doesn't do anything impactive.

Is his ceiling pretty much capped as it is right now?

I want to know the opinions of Grizzlies fans since you guys have more access to Grizzlies games and watch him play all the time.

J Falk
01-31-2012, 03:11 AM
You saw one bad game. Rudy is an excellent player and he's the guy that gets the ball at the end of the game. He moved to power forward the other night and shut down Blake Griffin. Maybe he isn't the best at sharing the ball, but that's not what he is. He's a lethal scorer and one of the most clutch players in the game today. I'm upset that he had a bad game tonight, but am I worried? Not at all.

BH-Sports
01-31-2012, 03:39 AM
Sure, he might get the ball at the end of the game but what I'm trying to focus on is his overall effectiveness. His +/- and how is he a lethal scorer? he barely averages 20 points a game playing heavy minutes. His offensive game hasn't improved as progressively as many thought it would. He's kind of like Luol Deng where they don't have the capability of scoring consistently.

J Falk
01-31-2012, 09:30 PM
Like I said, you saw one game. The Grizzlies have a lot of guys that can score, but Rudy and Zbo are the ones that can make their own shot basically whenever they want to. That doesn't mean they do it all the time because we also have Marc, Conley and OJ who hit a lot of their open shots. Rudy might not have the hustle that he should, but he's still a great defender. He's averaging 1.6 steals per game and almost a block per game while also holding a good shooting percentage. I will back Rudy all day. Nobody should be knocked because they aren't concerned with how many points they score.

Now if you have watched as many Grizzly games that I have you would know that the refs cheat us more than any team gets cheated in the NBA. Not using that as an excuse, but if Rudy got half the calls Kobe and Lebron get he'd be averaging 25 points a game.