PDA

View Full Version : The Flopping Epidemic: Should the NBA start Fining/Suspending Players?

shep33
01-30-2012, 05:07 AM
I am so sick of flopping... I blame you Vlade (I still love you though).

But anyways, why doesn't the NBA start handing out fines or techs or even suspensions for multiple incidents?

It takes away from the essence of the game, and we have superstars flopping... it pains me to see guys that are so good flop around to get calls.

In soccer they've started over the past few years to give out yellow cards...you can never completely stop it, but unlike soccer, the refs should be able to review flops (maybe they have some special ref that looks at them during the game or after the game is over with).

Outside of the death penalty, or being forced to play for the Wizards for a week, what should be the punishment for flopping in the NBA?

sargon21
01-30-2012, 05:17 AM
Tech.

shep33
01-30-2012, 05:20 AM
Tech.

I think that makes the most sense actually. Whether they see it on the court, or review it after the game (I wouldn't mind them reviewing it during the game too, just to make them look like complete jack*****)

But yeah give a tech, but also a fine on top of that. 16 techs= suspension right?

Raph12
01-30-2012, 05:28 AM
If only...

Longhornfan1234
01-30-2012, 05:40 AM

Trueblue2
01-30-2012, 05:44 AM
Make a flopping foul.

It would be embarrasing to get called out for and it hurts your team. The real problem is the refs calling tick tack fouls so much, if players weren't getting calls every time the defender breathes on them flopping wouldn't be as big of an issue.

FriedTofuz
01-30-2012, 06:17 AM
just a tech is fine. what are you talking about fineing and suspensions? thats too drastic for something like that :laugh2:

ghettosean
01-30-2012, 06:38 AM
A regular foul or a tech is good anything that stops players from doing this... I hate how some announcers on TV even say "well you got to sell it" like that player is so gifted to fall on his *** and scream foul.

It's getting really bad in the NBA right now.

jam
01-30-2012, 06:49 AM
You can't call a foul on a player pretending to be fouled, lol.

It could be designated as a "violation" of some kind, such as 3 seconds in the lane, and multiple violations could be a technical, but there's no way to differentiate between flops, losing balance, actual charges, bad acting flops, average acting flops, etc.

Just let the suckers fall on their ***** and make an *** of themselves.

Monta is beast
01-30-2012, 07:09 AM
I would say a tech.

Trueblue2
01-30-2012, 07:32 AM
How bout just stop giving players bs calls? They're flopping because they're getting calls, if the refs let em play without a whistle every time a team goes down the court flopping wouldn't be a problem.

tmacsc2
01-30-2012, 08:19 AM
What's hilarious and what makes the nba a joke is they said 2-3 years ago if you get caught flopping you get fined or A tech. I have yet to see it happen. The nba is buncha wieners if you ask me.

Celtics33
01-30-2012, 08:33 AM
Tech.

This makes the most sense.

Greet
01-30-2012, 09:27 AM
Why would you fine them? In essence, flopping is becoming a huge part of defense. If it works, use it.

KaganRS
01-30-2012, 09:48 AM
I would say this is not as black and white an issue as some would make it out to be.

Flopping in essence , is required when taking a charge.

Basically , no defender is going to sit there and take the full force of the charge (if there is a charge) because the body naturally clinches up to take the impact.

Just because someone flops , doesn't mean that its technically not a foul.

Diving , on the other hand , which is what they get carded for in futbal - is what I think you should be referring to because it implies a deliberate act without any kind of influential contact.

theducksmuggler
01-30-2012, 10:14 AM
They do give technicals for flopping now...at least joey crawford is hahaha http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDfEqUMGAGo

mekedubs
01-30-2012, 10:15 AM
I say review the possible flopping calls after a game and if the league decides that what a player did is flop, then treat it like a technical foul except you fine the player... After 3 to 4 fines, then the player gets suspended for 1 game.... If players know that the league is watching if you flop or not, then gradually they would stop doing it if they know they're going to get fined or possibly miss a game. I watched the Nuggets/Clippers game last night and Billups CLEARLY flopped on Nene at a critical juncture of the game and VERY WELL caused the Nuggets to lose at home...
That's the main problem I have with the league now, if a small guy gets switched on to a big in the post, all the small guy has to do is push off the big and slide across the floor to get the call... THAT'S RIDICULOUS! Back in the day if a small got switched onto a big he had to get some help from his players... Now they just get help from the referees...

Kashmir13579
01-30-2012, 10:57 AM
That is a slippery slope if i've ever seen one.

Rentzias
01-30-2012, 11:54 AM
Part of the game. Refs just need to evolve and get better at recognizing it. A lot of charges require the "chargee" to flop anyway (really, a tiny PG easily knocks over these muscle-massed 4's and 5's?).

Dankster
01-30-2012, 01:27 PM
Interesting idea. They enforce that penalty big time in soccer (futbol,) where if a player flops he receives a yellow card (red card if it was just an atrocious flop.)

If this were to happen, Varajeao would miss at least 10 games every year, easily.

sep11ie
01-30-2012, 01:42 PM
Tech

He115ing
01-30-2012, 01:52 PM
Technicals and fines are a little too harsh. I think they should just consider it a foul and give free throws for it.

He115ing
01-30-2012, 01:54 PM
Interesting idea. They enforce that penalty big time in soccer (futbol,) where if a player flops he receives a yellow card (red card if it was just an atrocious flop.)

If this were to happen, Varajeao would miss at least 10 games every year, easily.

Looool... so true. Ginobli would probably just quit basketball.

He115ing
01-30-2012, 02:10 PM
The worst technical I ever saw was last season. When Bosh faked being elbowed to the face by Boozer. They showed the replay and Boozer's elbow was like 3 inches away from Bosh's face. It was pathetic.

Federal Reserve
01-30-2012, 02:21 PM
If the NBA started suspending players for flopping, half of the Lakers would be watching their next game from home.

shep33
01-30-2012, 02:22 PM
See I would fine players after say 5. At 10 you get suspended for a game. I am so sick of it lol. I know taking a charge requires you too, but outside of charges, the head snaps, and flailing limbs, the diving into the ground after barely being touched... that has to be looked at because it's ruining the game IMO

Rentzias
01-30-2012, 02:32 PM
See I would fine players after say 5. At 10 you get suspended for a game. I am so sick of it lol. I know taking a charge requires you too, but outside of charges, the head snaps, and flailing limbs, the diving into the ground after barely being touched... that has to be looked at because it's ruining the game IMO
I think there's a handful of refs who have shown that they're less prone to calling this stuff this season. I think you leave this up to the league and the refs to get better at recognizing these plays. They're pros too.

When you go into judging acting in sports, it gets a bit nuts.

How would you propose they go about dealing with this? Does the coach get to throw a "review that flop" flag?

heyman321
01-30-2012, 06:01 PM
$1 000 000 dollar fine and 30 game suspension.

Fnom11
01-30-2012, 10:33 PM
Fine:Yes
Suspension: No

Hellcrooner
01-30-2012, 10:41 PM
I am so sick of flopping... I blame you Vlade (I still love you though).

But anyways, why doesn't the NBA start handing out fines or techs or even suspensions for multiple incidents?

It takes away from the essence of the game, and we have superstars flopping... it pains me to see guys that are so good flop around to get calls.

In soccer they've started over the past few years to give out yellow cards...you can never completely stop it, but unlike soccer, the refs should be able to review flops (maybe they have some special ref that looks at them during the game or after the game is over with).

Outside of the death penalty, or being forced to play for the Wizards for a week, what should be the punishment for flopping in the NBA?

The first flopper i remember is Bill Lambieer

Raps18-19 Champ
01-30-2012, 10:42 PM
Didn't they do that before?