PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Noticed The NBA Is Loaded With Good Point Guards?

Fresno
01-30-2012, 03:37 AM
It was something I noticed while checking out the rosters.

Some teams like Detroit(Stuckey/Knight), Milwaukee(Jennings), & Sacramento(Tyreke/Jimmer) have guys who score more than they pass the ball, however this has to be one of the best periods of time for PG play in the NBA.

The only teams who dont really have a "good" PG are the Hornets, Lakers, Heat, & Jazz.

But even then you've got Jarrett Jack having a career year in New Orleans without CP3, Norris Cole is the future in Miami, and Devin Harris has struggled in Utah but made an All Star team a few years ago.

Ragun
01-30-2012, 03:51 AM
Jazz have Harris, Hornets have Jack and the Heat have Chalmers. all are good PGs IMO...Fisher sucks.

Federal Reserve
01-30-2012, 03:52 AM
So you include guys who score more than they pass and ignore Rose...

Celtics33
01-30-2012, 04:02 AM
Yea, it's been widely known for a bit now.

bklynny67
01-30-2012, 04:04 AM
The Knicks have ....... wait.. nevermind :facepalm:

Raph12
01-30-2012, 04:26 AM
And then you got Nelson-Duhon-Hughes in Orlando :facepalm:

Cromedome
01-30-2012, 04:39 AM
Thank you.

The Knicks and Knick fans can finally sleep better at night because "the ship not be sinking".

rockbottom2010
01-30-2012, 04:44 AM

Some teams like Detroit(Stuckey/Knight), Milwaukee(Jennings), & Sacramento(Tyreke/Jimmer) have guys who score more than they pass the ball, however this has to be one of the best periods of time for PG play in the NBA.

The only teams who dont really have a "good" PG are the Hornets, Lakers, Heat, & Jazz.

But even then you've got Jarrett Jack having a career year in New Orleans without CP3, Norris Cole is the future in Miami, and Devin Harris has struggled in Utah but made an All Star team a few years ago.

its been going on since paul an williams came to this league....this is old news

sargon21
01-30-2012, 04:51 AM

He's 8th in assists this year...

Lidz
01-30-2012, 04:55 AM
It's the deepest position in the league.

FriedTofuz
01-30-2012, 06:04 AM
wow people start ripping on the knicks when theres a NBA top point guards thread :laugh2:

FriedTofuz
01-30-2012, 06:07 AM
atlanta - teague
orlando- nelson
cleveland- irving
washington-wall
chicago-derrick rose
toronto-calderon
milwauke-jennings
boston-rondo
philelphia- holiday
denver-ty lawson
phoneix-nash
portland-felton
memphis-conley
charolette-kemba walker
oklahoma-westbrook
utah- harris
detriot-knight
nets-williams
paces-collison
miami-chalmers
knicks-LOL
laker-fisher is wayy past his prime.
timberwolves-rubio
houston-lowry
spurs-parker
dallas- kidd
warriors-curry
sacremento-tyreke
la clippers- chris paul
new orleans-jack

the nba is ful of good pgs
Sorry, I just dont know who plays PG on the knicks?

nate2usmc
01-30-2012, 09:42 AM
wow people start ripping on the knicks when theres a NBA top point guards thread :laugh2:

Hey, just wait till Baron comes back. Knicks will be head to head with the Bulls and Heat :laugh:

KaganRS
01-30-2012, 09:50 AM
I haven't noticed a god damn thing !

Signed

Joe Dumars

Mishmin
01-30-2012, 10:13 AM
Its pretty amazing.

king4day
01-30-2012, 10:19 AM
If we're going by the position they play then yes, the league is loaded. But when you go by the position they SHOULD be playing, I dunno that half the teams have a good PG.

IndyRealist
01-30-2012, 10:25 AM
These things come and go, but it's not that surprising. The NBA almost always has an abundance of good PG's. Most fans won't remember the names of these guys in 20 years outside of their own team and the hall-of-famers. If Steve Nash and Jason Kidd weren't holding on for dear life, this list would look much more mundane. A couple of probable hall of famers, a couple more that might make the ballot.

And if I remember correctly, we were arguing on HERE, just a couple of years ago, whether Devin Harris or Jameer Nelson belonged in the top 5 PG's. Let's not kickk them when they're down.

thenaj17
01-30-2012, 11:04 AM
Yeh but the Lakers can't seem to get any of them!!!

It's amazing to think of how many top players there are playing at the point. There are obviously a few elite ones but also a hell of a lot of middle range who can light it up aswell.

Top tier:- Rose, CP3, D Wills, Westbrook, Rondo,

Proven players past primes but still good:- Nash, Kidd, Billups, T Parker

Secondary:- Wall, J Nelson, Mo Williams, Collison, Holiday, Rubio, Dragic, Irving, Jennings

asandhu23
01-30-2012, 11:13 AM
atlanta - teague
orlando- nelson
cleveland- irving
washington-wall
chicago-derrick rose
toronto-calderon
milwauke-jennings
boston-rondo
philelphia- holiday
denver-ty lawson
phoneix-nash
portland-felton
memphis-conley
charolette-kemba walker
oklahoma-westbrook
utah- harris
detriot-knight
nets-williams
paces-collison
miami-chalmers
knicks-LOL
laker-fisher is wayy past his prime.
timberwolves-rubio
houston-lowry
spurs-parker
dallas- kidd
warriors-curry
sacremento-tyreke
la clippers- chris paul
new orleans-jack

the nba is ful of good pgs

no, he is not. He is a shooting guard who is pretty much forced to play PG in NBA.

Corey
01-30-2012, 11:26 AM
no, he is not. He is a shooting guard who is pretty much forced to play PG in NBA.

I dont agree with that.

He's an offensive minded point guard. That doesn't make him a shooting guard.

xxplayerxx23
01-30-2012, 11:27 AM
Um How dare you, How dare you Not include toney douglas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He is a stud :P Hell even our backup is a beast Iman Shumpert, But for real Davis is going to be good once he gets his health up

Giraffes Rule
01-30-2012, 02:15 PM

It's amazing to think of how many top players there are playing at the point. There are obviously a few elite ones but also a hell of a lot of middle range who can light it up aswell.

Secondary:- Wall, J Nelson, Mo Williams, Collison, Holiday, Rubio, Dragic, Irving, Jennings
29 years old is past his prime? o_O Tony Parker still has another 2 years before he starts a real decline. I would argue that Parker is still improving as a point guard. Not necesarily from a scoring standpoint, but his assists have risen every year (with the exception of his injury riddle 09-10 season).

Jetsguy
01-30-2012, 02:26 PM
Knicks have talent and depth at the PG

Davis/Douglas/Shumpert/Bibby

They could be 4 out of a teams starting 5 and make it to the ECF at minimum.

rockets-fan
01-30-2012, 02:28 PM

the fact that you put in dragic(the rockets back up pg) and not lowry (the rockets starting pg/best player) confuses me a lot....

rockets-fan
01-30-2012, 02:31 PM
Lowry>>Rondo , and i AM a rondo fan,but i still believe
lowry>>Rondo

ugafan
01-30-2012, 02:36 PM

I'd take Jeff Teague over a few of those.

rockets-fan
01-30-2012, 02:39 PM
I'd take Jeff Teague over a few of those.

id take teague over all of those...besides dragic :)

kozelkid
01-30-2012, 02:43 PM

You try too hard. Take some lessons from dnewguy.

Oefarmy2005
01-30-2012, 02:44 PM
The Knicks are OK. Remember, Rubio will only play for them when he comes to the NBA, so the Wolves better trade him! :)

lakerboy
01-30-2012, 02:46 PM
My team, the Lakers, probably have the worst. Maybe second to the worst, after Shumpert.

ugafan
01-30-2012, 02:57 PM
id take teague over all of those...besides dragic :)

I'd take Wall, Irving and maybe Holiday over him but I like Teague over the rest.

Baller1
01-30-2012, 03:16 PM
To be honest, only the Lakers and Knicks are forced to start absolute **** at PG.

MagicHero3
01-30-2012, 03:58 PM
unless they play for the Magic.

ee
01-30-2012, 04:00 PM
this makes the pg position the toughest.....They need to bring their A-game every night....

Gritz
01-30-2012, 04:02 PM
Lowry>>Rondo , and i AM a rondo fan

Your username and avatar say otherwise

JasonJohnHorn
01-30-2012, 04:03 PM
There is a lot of great PGs, but you get to a point and then there is a huge drop off.
Rose
Rondo
CP3
D-Will

You got some young guys like Rubio and Irving who have potential (Rubio's gotta bring that FG% up, though he is a great passer), but the sad thing is that only 2 guys in the league are averaging more than 9 assists a game, and one of those guys is 39 and the other is injured. Only four guys are averaging 3 or more assists per turnover to. which means most PGs out there are throwing out a turnover after every 2 assists, and that is not a good number. Back in the 90's, you'd have three guys averaging 10+ a game. I realize that coaches run plays through their big men and scorers more, like Boston did with Pierce, and Miami does with Wade and LBJ, but seriously, the passing PG is a dying breed and its bad for the game. Rubio's the only bright spot for the future of PGs.

Guys like John Wall, Jennings, they are working hard, and they are great players with some amazing talent, but lets face it, Wall's FG% is disgustingly low and Jennings is Marbury Jr. He'll put up impressive scoring numbers in a losing effort, get traded or sign a contract that he's not worth, and then regress. I see a lot of PGs who want to be SGs but don't have the size for that position, and that spells trouble.

There is a lot of talent in this season's pool of PGs, but lets face it, only one guy in the top 6 for assists-per looks like he will be playing in the post season, and that's CP3.

MagicHero3
01-30-2012, 04:17 PM
There is a lot of great PGs, but you get to a point and then there is a huge drop off.
Rose
Rondo
CP3
D-Will

You got some young guys like Rubio and Irving who have potential (Rubio's gotta bring that FG% up, though he is a great passer), but the sad thing is that only 2 guys in the league are averaging more than 9 assists a game, and one of those guys is 39 and the other is injured. Only four guys are averaging 3 or more assists per turnover to. which means most PGs out there are throwing out a turnover after every 2 assists, and that is not a good number. Back in the 90's, you'd have three guys averaging 10+ a game. I realize that coaches run plays through their big men and scorers more, like Boston did with Pierce, and Miami does with Wade and LBJ, but seriously, the passing PG is a dying breed and its bad for the game. Rubio's the only bright spot for the future of PGs.

Guys like John Wall, Jennings, they are working hard, and they are great players with some amazing talent, but lets face it, Wall's FG% is disgustingly low and Jennings is Marbury Jr. He'll put up impressive scoring numbers in a losing effort, get traded or sign a contract that he's not worth, and then regress. I see a lot of PGs who want to be SGs but don't have the size for that position, and that spells trouble.

There is a lot of talent in this season's pool of PGs, but lets face it, only one guy in the top 6 for assists-per looks like he will be playing in the post season, and that's CP3.

your sig..."its better to rule in hell than be a slave in heaven"??...

uuuuhhh, i dont think "heaven" would have slaves. do you?
so anotherwords, youd rather be hitler than a normal person?

rockets-fan
01-30-2012, 04:34 PM
Your username and avatar say otherwise

I didn't know my avatar or name said anything that has to do with this....me being a rockets fan and texans fan has no affect on me being able to be a fan of other players...do you not like any other players besides the ones on your team???

I like Rajon rondo, but think Lowry is better.

Bravo95
01-30-2012, 04:37 PM
id take teague over all of those...besides dragic
Great start to the season for Jeff. 13ppg, 5 ast, 50%fg, 46% 3pt, 2 stl.

If Drew would quit taking him off the floor right when he's heating up, the numbers would be even better.

MagicHero3
01-30-2012, 04:38 PM
Post deleted due to homeboy's edit of "Ramon" rondo to "Rajon" rondo. good move sir

rockets-fan
01-30-2012, 04:40 PM
is Ramon Rondo your favorite player? your knowledge indicates the level of your "fandom" for him.

Ok so my iPad misspelled his name...and all I stated was that I am a fan of him...is this not allowed??? Y'all are overreacting

And no he's not my favorite player I never said that did I?

MagicHero3
01-30-2012, 04:42 PM
chill out i fixed my post too

rockets-fan
01-30-2012, 04:43 PM
Post deleted due to homeboy's edit of "Ramon" rondo to "Rajon" rondo. good move sir

Yea I'm just not use to this spell check on the iPad, I'm new to it

rockets-fan
01-30-2012, 04:44 PM
chill out i fixed my post too

I just saw that

MagicHero3
01-30-2012, 04:45 PM
yeap. and right now, i would agree rondo is better than Lowry. The only argument is that Rondo is closer to his ceiling...Lowry is still discovering his potential. In the long run, Lowry might overtake Rondo, but right now, Rajon is def the better player. Minus the whole injury nonsense.

rockets-fan
01-30-2012, 04:48 PM
yeap. and right now, i would agree rondo is better than Lowry. The only argument is that Rondo is closer to his ceiling...Lowry is still discovering his potential. In the long run, Lowry might overtake Rondo, but right now, Rajon is def the better player. Minus the whole injury nonsense.

No lol see I think I'm misunderstood here

I said Lowry>>rondo as in Lowry is better in my point of view but I stated that I'm a rondo fan so other posters don't think I am being a homer saying a rocket is better than rondo...

IMO Lowry is better than rondo but that's just me...I'm no coach or gm so my opinion mean little to nothing at all...

KaiserSose
01-30-2012, 04:50 PM
No love for Conley?

Leads the league in steals/48m (3.58), 6th in assist/to ratio (3.12), 6th in FT% (0.865)

12.9ppg with 2.7rpg and 7.5apg shooting 45.3%

rockets-fan
01-30-2012, 04:51 PM
No love for Conley?

Leads the league in steals/48m (3.58), 6th in assist/to ratio (3.12), 6th in FT% (0.865)

12.9ppg with 2.7rpg and 7.5apg shooting 45.3%

I'm going to be honest I haven't really seen Memphis so I can't really judge lol

He115ing
01-30-2012, 04:53 PM

Don't forget the Knicks, they got no pg at this point either. Harris is done. But mostly I agree there are a lot of good pgs around the league. Rubio, being my favorite at this point.

MagicHero3
01-30-2012, 05:29 PM
Lakers easily have the best PG rotation in the NBA .. D FISH that saved LA backed up by Steve Blake Grifin .. in all honesty every team not named the Lakers/Knicks have great PG's, you can argue a couple teams as well but I think those are far and away the 2 worst teams.

is that sarcasm? have you watched LA's point guards play the last couple of weeks?

Im an orlando fan and i will openly admit our PGs are garbage. dont be in denial!

Iodine
01-30-2012, 06:00 PM
This thread would have been interesting and insightful maybe a year and a half ago

Fresno
01-30-2012, 06:23 PM
Don't forget the Knicks, they got no pg at this point either. Harris is done. But mostly I agree there are a lot of good pgs around the league. Rubio, being my favorite at this point.

Baron is injured at the moment but hes still a solid/good PG, IMO.

The Knicks system will allow him to look near All Star-like again.

numba1CHANGsta
01-30-2012, 06:34 PM
The PG and PF positions are stacked!

FUKudomeYOMOMMA
01-30-2012, 06:37 PM
lead in the baby food, everyone is shorter this generation

kozelkid
01-30-2012, 06:46 PM
lead in the baby food, everyone is shorter this generation

Manufactured food is for *****es. I hunted my food.

reffahead
01-30-2012, 06:52 PM
The 09 draft has alot to do with this. It's a damn shame Flynn had to become a bust when he was seen as a safe pick.

Curry and Rubio would be a nice backcourt, freaking Kahn.

Iodine
01-30-2012, 06:52 PM

http://gifs.gifbin.com/092010/1284123330_chris-hansen-gif.gif

haggis
01-30-2012, 06:54 PM
http://gifs.gifbin.com/092010/1284123330_chris-hansen-gif.gif

:facepalm:

Fresno
01-30-2012, 06:56 PM
The 09 draft has alot to do with this. It's a damn shame Flynn had to become a bust when he was seen as a safe pick.

Curry and Rubio would be a nice backcourt, freaking Kahn.

I wouldn't rule Flynn out completely.

He played in the Triangle Offense as a rookie, then last season missed most of the year with a hip injury before getting moved to Houston.

Flynn was a very good Pick & Roll PG at Syracuse and I could see him having success as a low risk/high reward signing next season.

bigsams50
01-30-2012, 07:10 PM

:laugh:

omdigga
01-30-2012, 07:25 PM
i have to admit.. i was watching basketball the other night... the nba has good players...

JasonJohnHorn
01-30-2012, 07:36 PM
your sig..."its better to rule in hell than be a slave in heaven"??...

uuuuhhh, i dont think "heaven" would have slaves. do you?
so anotherwords, youd rather be hitler than a normal person?

Its a John Milton reference. I see it went straight over your head.

TO Rapz
01-30-2012, 07:37 PM
No ****. This would of been news 2 years ago or something.

Iodine
01-30-2012, 07:46 PM
No ****. This would of been news 2 years ago or something.

Way to steal my thunder

xxplayerxx23
01-30-2012, 08:01 PM
My team, the Lakers, probably have the worst. Maybe second to the worst, after Shumpert.

Shumpert>Fisher

John Walls Era
01-30-2012, 08:07 PM
I wish they had some good dominant Cs.

JEDean89
01-30-2012, 08:54 PM
the clipps have billups, paul, and mo williams, pretty ridiculous.

NoahH
01-30-2012, 09:04 PM
Jimmer sucks

Bullsfan22
01-30-2012, 09:08 PM
Animal.

flatbush knicks
01-30-2012, 09:14 PM
Y cant the knicks find one

CrazyCrackar
01-30-2012, 09:26 PM
As a knick fan, no I have not noticed this at all. Well maybe we dont have a bad one, its could be that everyone else just has a good one.......

amos1er
01-30-2012, 09:28 PM
I wish some other team could spot us one. So many good pg's and yet we don't have one.

Odominator
01-30-2012, 09:51 PM
So many great point guards going left and right, why can't the Lakers seem to get one?

Nick O
01-30-2012, 10:02 PM
my team, the lakers, probably have the worst. Maybe second to the worst, after shumpert.

blasphemy!!!

Nick O
01-30-2012, 10:02 PM
mike james?

RaiderLakersA's
01-31-2012, 12:01 AM
It's the deepest position in the league.

Which makes you want to slap Mitch for the Lakers not having a top PG for years now.

daricoliver
01-31-2012, 08:41 AM
How has no one mentioned Russell Westbrook in all these lists? He should clearly be in the top tier

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-31-2012, 12:14 PM

this is really stupid

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-31-2012, 12:15 PM

Scarecrow

MagicHero3
01-31-2012, 04:06 PM
i have to admit.. i was watching basketball the other night... the nba has good players...

lol zing at OP!