PDA

View Full Version : the "official" Get Brenden Morrow here thread!

liltedspop
01-27-2012, 10:10 PM
Morrow is a guy I would personally like to add over just about any other option out there. Harkens back to Steve Larmer same exact type of player! LETS MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LTP RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thegame248
01-28-2012, 02:53 AM
Morrow is a guy I would personally like to add over just about any other option out there. Harkens back to Steve Larmer same exact type of player! LETS MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LTP IS A TOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fixed

IAmARanger18
01-28-2012, 01:48 PM
Will never happen it will cost too much.

bsi
01-28-2012, 02:09 PM
We have two advantages over other teams considering Morrow has a NTC that might make it attractive to him, 1)We're a top team in the East who needs a LW. 2) Brad Richards. Having said that, I don't know what we'd have to give up for him. He's not a pure goal scorer at this point, he's getting a bit on in age and he's having a bad year, would he be worth giving up say a Brandon Dubinsky or a Derek Stepan for? I'm thinking if we did that it would be falling back into our old ways, I think we'd be taking a step back personally. If it's for picks and say a guy like Wolski, Christensen or Valentenko as examples I'm all for it, but it would seem to me that Dallas would want something to replace their captain with.

IAmARanger18
01-28-2012, 03:08 PM
In no way would I want to give up Stepan or Dubi for Morrow. Dubi is younger than him and can be the same exact player as Morrow, Stepan's ceiling goes as high as a 1st line 70 point Center, no way in hell I move him.

nyr1980
01-28-2012, 04:30 PM
I'm not high on Morrow, but if there was a real belief from the organization that bringing here, playing him with Richard or with Gaborik and Stepan would reinvigorate him, them it would be worth a shot. Any idea on asking price?

If they wanted a young forward and a prospect, maybe AA and someone would do it.

fingerbang
01-28-2012, 05:08 PM
I prefer Doan. If he doesn't work out the contract comes right off the books. If Morrow doesn't work out you're stuck with him for another season.

IMO a young forward and a prospect is way too much for either player. They'd both be temps. Considering Morrow's injury history, cap hit, and current production - AA's the more valuable player.

Foge7
01-28-2012, 09:22 PM
Ideally i'd like a guy like Jamie Benn, young sniper with tons of potential, most likely untouchable though, but you never know, he's a RFA to be

averymustgo
01-29-2012, 08:05 AM
No fan has a clue how much a player would cost in return. Only GM's really know. We can just guess. I doubt Morrow would cost that much. He's old. He's had several serious issues and he makes a good amount of change. I would much prefer Ruutu who could give you more and isn't the captain of his team so there is no reason for the Canes to keep him.

liltedspop
01-30-2012, 06:15 PM
http://www.nyrangersblog.com/2012-articles/january/richards-talking-up-morrow.html

bsi
01-30-2012, 06:35 PM
If it's picks and any of Wolski, Christensen, etc, I'd love it.

IAmARanger18
01-30-2012, 06:48 PM
Obviously Richards will try to talk him into coming here but I still think Dallas will want a lot for him. They are still on a push for the playoffs so they won't sell him low.

nyr1980
01-30-2012, 11:36 PM
I still think they could add a better player than Morrow. I think they need more offense than Morrow will bring them.

jbop6232
01-31-2012, 12:33 PM
Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal writes "Dustin Penner, nowhere near the player Morrow is, fetched a first-round draft pick and Colten Teubert last February when he had one year left at $4.25 million. I'd say a first-rounder for sure and and a top-six player or top four defenseman, for sure."

For that price I would say pass on Morrow. Which top six forward are you going to give up for him? Maybe AA but not Dubi...Dubi is a younger version of Morrow. No way in hell should we part with one of the top four defenseman. I'm still saying go for Ray Whitney.

redwhiteandblue
01-31-2012, 01:18 PM
I'm passing on Morrow hard, especially at that price. He's aging, locked up, and not a point producer like we need. We don't need leadership. Richards does that, Cally does that, hell even Dubi a little bit does that. These guys have been together for a long time now already (excluding Richie, Rupp and really maybe Gabs?). If I'm Slats I'm looking for offensive fire power, preferably a wing.

Obviously we have talked about Ryan, Buffalo is looking like they're about to shake up and sell Vanek would be nice if he was cheaper. Boyes would be nice. Off the top of my head that's who I have but Morrow is not what this team needs.

Either a Power-Play-point-producing top 6 scoring winger or a Top 2 juggernaut on the blue line for the power play. We are in position where if we feel like we have to, or want to, make a move, we truly have the pieces to get a very good upgrade.

That being said, I don't even think we really need to make a move. These guys are developing nicely as a unit and it's showing as they are starting to become very good regular season players. Even if we falter in the EC Finals, whatever. We're young, our window is propped open and what doesn't kill us will make us stronger.

If we do make a small move though I would like to see Ray Whitney or Erik Cole, personally.

nyr1980
01-31-2012, 02:24 PM
Redwhite&blue, you mention Vanek. He'd be ideal, plays LW, pure scorer, and great on the PP where he has something 90-95 career PPG's. But I can't believe he's available, and if he were, the price would be huge and he carries a huge cap hit.

More likely, Buffalo is looking to move guys like Roy, Hecht, Boyes, or Gaustad.

redwhiteandblue
01-31-2012, 04:18 PM
Well, at this point, I've read that it's time to shake it up and the core is not safe. I think they are open to making any kind of move. Had Enroth kept up his hot start I would say that even Miller was available.

I think at this point they're ready to try anything. Vanek's price tag (cap hit) is a big absurd, we would literally have to move serious salary and give up serious worth from the roster. More of a pipe dream, really.

nyr1980
01-31-2012, 04:45 PM
I don't think Vanek's cap hit is too bad. $7.153 vs. the cap per is about the going rate for a guy who at 28 and only in his seventh season who has had 2 seasons of 40-plus goals, 2 seasons of 30-plus goals (and on hi way to another) and in his other 2 seasons was 25-plus. That's a high end guy, so I think a high end contract is fair.

nyr1980
01-31-2012, 04:51 PM
The bigger price I think would be cost of acquisition. He's by far their best forward, maybe their best player. I'd want 2 young forwards, a young or top prospect dman, and probably another prospect and a pick. I'm thinking, were he available, that would likely be in the neighborhood of eventual cost.

jbop6232
01-31-2012, 05:09 PM
RedWhiteandBlue I've been lobbying for Ray Whitney for a while now. I think he would be a less expensive option and he gives the Rangers a natural left winger to play on the Richards and Callahan line (I like keeping Hagelin with Stepan and Gaborik)

redwhiteandblue
01-31-2012, 05:30 PM
Yea, I agree. I don't need a guy that is a 'natural LW'. Would be nice but not idea. If we go that route and I'm Slats I would probably be looking for a rental like Whitney. Cheap, expiring contract and a guy that is so solidly consistent throughout his career. Not to mention has a Cup under his belt. He's definitely a better option then Morrow.

IAmARanger18
01-31-2012, 05:46 PM
Price for Whitney was already stated to be a 1st round pick in 2012 I believe, I will try to find where I saw it and post it here to verify. But I have no interest in trading a 1st for him, if I am moving a 1st throw in Anisimov, Thomas and Sauer and send it to ANA for Ryan.

jetsfan89
01-31-2012, 06:03 PM
Price for Whitney was already stated to be a 1st round pick in 2012 I believe, I will try to find where I saw it and post it here to verify. But I have no interest in trading a 1st for him, if I am moving a 1st throw in Anisimov, Thomas and Sauer and send it to ANA for Ryan.

that's a little bit more than "throw in"

nyr1980
01-31-2012, 06:43 PM
Now that we're closer to the deadline, it appears more likely that it could be a sellers market. That won't likely be enough to get Ryan.

IAmARanger18
01-31-2012, 08:30 PM
That is more then enough to get Ryan.

J4KOP99
01-31-2012, 08:52 PM
Do you guys think there is any chance Suter would be moved? That would be my #1 target... if not, then I'd go after Ryan. If we can't get either of them, then look at Whitney. Morrow is alright, but I'm not too high on him.

I just would like to get a realistic idea of what Anaheim would even ask for.

nyr1980
01-31-2012, 11:15 PM
That is more then enough to get Ryan.

I hope you're right, and I'd certainly offer them that and see what they say. But if I'm Bob Murray, I probably say no. There is no really attractive piece in that deal, and you need something premium to justify the trade of a player like Ryan.

bsi
02-01-2012, 08:02 AM

Not even close...our 1st is pretty much a 2nd at this point, nobody is gonna trade a star player for a 20th+ pick in the draft, a guy who hasn't scored in 15 games, a small CHL goal scorer who can't find his own end, and a concussed defenseman. If they are looking for a first pick they'll look at the teams that will be in the lottery.

Also, with regards to Vanek, I'd like the guy but where can we fit him under the cap? We'll have 14 mill cap space for next year(that's after Christensen, Wolski etc are all off it) with only 4 D signed, 3 current roster players unsigned, and we'll need to resign Biron. So thats 14 million for essentially 6 players, one of whom is Michael DelZotto who will be looking for a big raise from his 1million dollar cap. So basically what we'd be looking at is probably 2.5 - 3 for DelZotto, and roughly 1 million each for the other 5 give or take, but seriously we'll probably have to give Prust more because he's a UFA that many would like to have, so roughly around 9 million with about 5 left over, and that's assuming Zuccarello stays down. I believe that's about right, just looking at CapGeek.

ElementCo27
02-03-2012, 12:06 PM
It seems like Ryan Smyth is on Sather's radar anyway. If it's a good price I'd honestly go for him. He's on a weak team, although Gagner just got 8 points the other night, and they're probably looking to shake up their roster to change things up. Since they're at the bottom of the league I think they're willing to take anything quite frankly. Smyth could be the compliment on the PP that the Rangers need. Hopefully him and Richards would click and our PP would be quite a force.

nyr1980
02-04-2012, 11:46 PM
Per ESPN, Morrow placed on IR. Lingering issue with neck/shoulder. Will miss at least one week.

IAmARanger18
02-04-2012, 11:50 PM
It seems like Ryan Smyth is on Sather's radar anyway. If it's a good price I'd honestly go for him. He's on a weak team, although Gagner just got 8 points the other night, and they're probably looking to shake up their roster to change things up. Since they're at the bottom of the league I think they're willing to take anything quite frankly. Smyth could be the compliment on the PP that the Rangers need. Hopefully him and Richards would click and our PP would be quite a force.

Rumor was at first that he would waive his NTC to come to the Rangers but then it was quickly shut down that he wouldn't. So idk if he is still an option, I still think Sather will push hard for Ryan no matter how good the Ducks are doing.

nyr1980
02-05-2012, 12:13 AM
It was weird that in the same day postings stated he was willing to waive his NMC, and then hours later, that he didn't go back to Edmonton to be moved. Just struck me as odd.