PDA

View Full Version : Worse Deal: Pau Gasol or Chris Paul?

shep33
01-27-2012, 09:08 PM
The CP3 trade looks pretty bad right now. Gordon is often injured, hasn't gotten his extension yet either. Kaman has actually played himself out of the rotation in New Orleans. Aminu is still pretty raw, hasn't been producing much offensively at all. The Minnesota pick is becoming less and less attractive as we speak, the Wolves will likely make a push for that 8th spot out west.

We all know that Pau Gasol deal was pretty one sided, despite Marc being involved in that deal in netted the Lakers two rings.

Which deal was more blasphemous?

Listen I'm not saying the Lakers and Rockets deal is better guys. I'm just noting which of these is worse in your mind considering what has and is occuring (Minny rolling right now, Kaman + Aminu hardly contributing, and Gordon not signing).

Green Storm
01-27-2012, 09:25 PM
Lamar Odom, Luis Scola, Kevin Martin, Gorgan Dragic, and HOU 1st is miles better.

Basketball Reasons

Green Storm
01-27-2012, 09:30 PM
Grizzles got Marc Gasol and were able to sign Zach Randolph because of the deal (If I'm not mistaken)

Raph12
01-27-2012, 09:37 PM
They got Minni's pick in the draft and their own pick, two picks around top 5 to 10 in a loaded draft and EG is a RFA so they can match anything.

Possible 2012 lineup:
PG - Jarett Jack
SG - Eric Gordon
SF - Harrison Barnes
PF - Andre Drummond or Jared Sullinger or Anthony Davis
C - Emeka Okafor

That looks like a good deal to me.

Heediot
01-27-2012, 09:39 PM
Wow its only been 15 games in. You can also argue that the clippers only got Paul for 2/3 of his value at this point. This is typical of the reactionary tendencies of short sighted posters. Look back in 2-3 years for a better sample.

J4KOP99
01-27-2012, 09:39 PM
Have you seen Andre Drummond play yet?

blastmasta26
01-27-2012, 09:41 PM
Lamar Odom, Luis Scola, Kevin Martin, Gorgan Dragic, and HOU 1st is miles better.

Basketball Reasons

That's not a good offer for a rebuilding team at all. The Clippers had the best value by far in providing players, picks, and an expiring contract in Kaman for cap space in the long term.

Silent
01-27-2012, 09:50 PM
That's not a good offer for a rebuilding team at all. The Clippers had the best value by far in providing players, picks, and an expiring contract in Kaman for cap space in the long term.

Finally someone understands basketball:clap: why in the world would u want all theme contracts when rebuilding NO will be fine

Cal827
01-27-2012, 09:52 PM
Based on right now, the Gaslol deal was better. At least they got a center who might be an all-star in Gaslol's brother. Obviously, at the time we didn't know that, and we basically just laughed at thinking Memphis could ever become a good team.

The Hornets could quite possibly lose Eric Gordon. Depends whether or not the Owners would want to pay his near-max contract from their own pockets. Aminu is likely a role player at best, and the Minnesota pick could possibly just be a playoff pick as the T'Wolves are looking good. Based on the actions of NO/Stern So far, Demps is probably really pissed they didn't take the LA/HOU Threeway deal. Not only would they gut a team, acquiring some guys who might be able to be shipped off for other picks/prospects (Scola, Martin, Williams would draw a lot of interest on teams looking for the extra piece), they would also acquire the unprotected first rounder from the team they would have gutted.

On a Side note, Why Exactly was Houston making this deal? This was such a terrible deal for them. lol :pity:

netsgiantsyanks
01-27-2012, 10:05 PM
both of them aren't as bad as it seems. i mean, the grizzlies got gasol's brother in return who's pretty decent and just give the cp3 deal time, it's only been like 2 months.

5ass
01-27-2012, 10:16 PM
Next year it will all make sense why clippers deal is better

Bruno
01-27-2012, 10:17 PM
neither are as bad as initially depicted.

Hugbees
01-27-2012, 10:18 PM
way too early. And hornets did this trade to rebuild. What better way to rebuild than get a high pick in the draft?

2-ONE-5
01-27-2012, 10:27 PM
Grizzles got Marc Gasol and were able to sign Zach Randolph because of the deal (If I'm not mistaken)

yup and you can make a pretty strong argument that Marc is emerging as the better of the 2

HouRealCoach
01-27-2012, 10:32 PM

Basketball Reasons

They wouldnt have cap space, no good draft pick, & not close to a contender

This trade is still better

HouRealCoach
01-27-2012, 10:34 PM
But u wanna talk about a bad trade.. Do you all remember Ron Artest for Bobby Jackson, Donte Greene, Late first? That was one sided

BigBongTheory
01-27-2012, 10:37 PM
yup and you can make a pretty strong argument that Marc is emerging as the better of the 2

:facepalm:

seikou8
01-28-2012, 12:08 AM

:facepalm: homer i want to hear this argument.

king4day
01-28-2012, 12:31 AM
At the time of the trade, Pau's deal was far more unfair.
Paul was traded for an elite SG and a top pick amongst other talent that can land them youth.
I don't see how this is even a question.

There's been uneven deals since that trade that lessen the load of the Lakers deal but the Paul deal is no where near one of them.

shep33
01-28-2012, 12:37 AM
They got Minni's pick in the draft and their own pick, two picks around top 5 to 10 in a loaded draft and EG is a RFA so they can match anything.

Possible 2012 lineup:
PG - Jarett Jack
SG - Eric Gordon
SF - Harrison Barnes
C - Emeka Okafor

I don't think Minny's pick is gonna be a lottery pick anymore. They're playing superb ball right now. Making a run to the 8th spot. If they get into the playoffs, that pick's value becomes very weak and they will not get two studs like Barnes + Drummond if that happens

amos1er
01-28-2012, 12:56 AM
Any one that says the Gasol deal is just plain hating. Memphis is a playoff team now and NOH won't be **** in years to come...most likely will go bankrupt. The Clippers essentially got Paul for Kaman as now Gordon is not signing an extension. Any time the Lakers make a good deal, there is always some bitter fan of another team hating...How come no one said anything when Boston raped Minny for Garnett? Minny got nothing from that deal that they can speak of now. They are still a lottery team basically. They were lucky enough to get Love in the draft and thats the only player they now have worth speaking of. Stop hating on the Lakers people...If it were your team who got an all-star of us, you would all be kissing the sky and saying how the trade was fair. When Miami raped us for Shaq, I didn't hear anyone saying anything about what a bad deal it was for the Lakers, all I heard was everyone cheering that the Lakers were broken up. It's amazing to me how logic seems to go out the window when blinded by hate.

Kevj77
01-28-2012, 01:37 AM
It is always so hard to judge because teams make deals for different reasons. Lakers traded for Pau to win right away. Memphis traded Pau to rebuild, which they did successfully because of that trade and are now a playoff team. Both teams won in that deal, but people will always say it was a steal because the Lakers won two rings.

You can't judge the CP3 trade yet either because the Hornets are a mess, but they made the move for the future. Gordan isn't going anywhere he will be a restricted free agent. Their pick will most likely be top 3 and if Minny misses the playoffs they could get lucky like Cleveland and land two top picks. Obviously the Clips look like the big winner in this deal, but you can't judge how well New Orleans did immediately after this deal because they didn't make it to win now. They made it for the future.

It's like all the NFL draft day experts giving out draft grades the day after the draft when everyone knows it takes a couple years to really judge a draft class.

beliges
01-28-2012, 02:09 PM
Its hard to blame the Hornets for the crappy deal they got for CP3. They had a great deal in place for him from the Lakers/Rockets trade. However, they had their hands tied by the league and the rest of the owners who made a desperate attempt to prevent CP3 going to the Lakers. As such, they got a second hand deal of a bunch of nobodies for CP3. Very sad if youre a Hornets fan.

Gibby
01-28-2012, 02:26 PM

Possible 2012 lineup:
PG - Jarett Jack
SG - Eric Gordon
SF - Harrison Barnes
C - Emeka Okafor

I am not sure about Minni's pick will be top 10. IMO wolves have an outside shot at the playoffs. Right now it would be the 12th pick.

Bang Bros89
01-28-2012, 02:33 PM
Knowing the NBA and the fact that they want to sell the Hornets, if Minnesota doesn't make the playoffs, I wouldn't be surprised if that Minny pick is in the top 3. And New Orleans ends up with two top 3 picks.

That Laker deal still makes no sense, why be a borderline playoff team, with 3 players that won't figure into the Hornets future and a HOU pick that would've been in the middle of the first round at best. Hornets can still match any Eric Gordon contract.

Hellcrooner
01-28-2012, 03:18 PM
id love to see what people says bout lakers trade when M gasol is an allstar too ( coud be this same year)

PraiseJesus
01-28-2012, 03:24 PM
I dont understand the question this thread is asking fully

AntiG
01-28-2012, 06:10 PM
Gasol trade was worse by far. The Grizz received pure trash. The only redeeming value was that they found a way to turn a 2nd round pick into Marc Gasol, but that's pure luck that Gasol dropped THAT far.

Ty Fast
01-28-2012, 06:12 PM

Basketball Reasons

true that

AntiG
01-28-2012, 06:13 PM

Basketball Reasons

Except that NO's cap situation gets raped and they end up with a bunch of bad contracts on 30+ year old players... making them a borderline late lottery/low playoff seed.

The Clippers' trade was better. Good young players, an expiring contract in Kaman. And the TWolves' pick >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Rockets pick.

Hellcrooner
01-28-2012, 06:14 PM
Gasol trade was worse by far. The Grizz received pure trash. The only redeeming value was that they found a way to turn a 2nd round pick into Marc Gasol, but that's pure luck that Gasol dropped THAT far.

dude, Marc gasol had already been drafted by the lakers, it was not " a second round pick" IT WAS Marc gasol draft rights what was traded.

get your facts straight before blabering

beans439
01-28-2012, 06:30 PM

dude, im pretty sure marc gasol was already a laker when he was traded...

beans439
01-28-2012, 06:32 PM
haha. crooner beat me...thought that was the case

gbrl
01-28-2012, 09:58 PM
way too early to try and compare, but at the time of the trades the pau one was much worse

Meaze_Gibson
01-28-2012, 10:12 PM
Hornets trade looks to be worse right now. As long as Minnesota is in playoff contention, that lessons possibility of high draft pick. Aminu looks like a role player. Kaman is on his way out. Eric Gordon doesn't seem to want to be there (ironically putting them in a similar , Chris Paul-like scenario next year).... Paul for Aminu, cap space, and a mid-late first rounder is worse than the Gasol for cap space and a center giving 15 & 10 trade

gbrl
01-28-2012, 10:48 PM
Hornets trade looks to be worse right now. As long as Minnesota is in playoff contention, that lessons possibility of high draft pick. Aminu looks like a role player. Kaman is on his way out. Eric Gordon doesn't seem to want to be there (ironically putting them in a similar , Chris Paul-like scenario next year).... Paul for Aminu, cap space, and a mid-late first rounder is worse than the Gasol for cap space and a center giving 15 & 10 trade

Gordon is restricted he isnt going anywhere. i dont see how the memphis trade can be considered better just because marc, a second round draft pick who was a throw in, made something of himself

Kevj77
01-28-2012, 10:58 PM
Gordon is restricted he isnt going anywhere. i dont see how the memphis trade can be considered better just because marc, a second round draft pick who was a throw in, made something of himselfYou are assuming that he was just a throw in, that Memphis didn't demand him in the deal. Memphis knew a lot about Marc he played high school ball in Memphis and worked out with Pau when he was there. Also they got cap space and used it to trade for Zbo and that has to be included as part of the deal. They also got two first round picks.

That trade is the Grizzlies entire starting frontcourt. Some trades are made for the future and others to win right away. Memphis made a good deal for their team. It was better for LA nobody can argue with two rings. Still Memphis got what they wanted young players, cap space and picks. That is what teams that are trying to rebuild want.

Meaze_Gibson
01-28-2012, 11:36 PM
Gordon is restricted he isnt going anywhere. i dont see how the memphis trade can be considered better just because marc, a second round draft pick who was a throw in, made something of himself

Gordon can opt for his qualifying offer and become unrestricted. Due to "basketball reasons", I have a strong feeling he doesnt want to stay with the monitored by league office Hornets. If Gordon doesnt resign and Minnesota goes to the playoffs, the trade will be a failure.

Better-Than-You
01-29-2012, 12:07 AM
Pau Gasol to the Lakers; he friggin sucks. Can we have a redo? I want Marc Gasol please.

Raps18-19 Champ
01-29-2012, 12:13 AM
I don't think Minny's pick is gonna be a lottery pick anymore. They're playing superb ball right now. Making a run to the 8th spot. If they get into the playoffs, that pick's value becomes very weak and they will not get two studs like Barnes + Drummond if that happens

This draft is deep.

Someone like Kabongo can slip into the mid teens and he'd probably be top 10 if he was in the 2011 draft.

Avenged
01-29-2012, 12:14 AM

The Lakers drafted Marc Gasol and traded his rights to the Grizzlies.

Teeboy1487
01-29-2012, 12:30 AM
The Pau deal was far worse, but it's not looking so bad now though. As for comparing the Clippers deal with the Lakers deal for CP3, it depended on what New Orleans wanted. If they wanted a playoff team, then they should have done the Lakers deal. However, they wanted to rebuild. That's why the Clippers deal was better in that respect.

OaklandsFinest
01-29-2012, 01:00 AM
Marc Gasol < Eric Gordon
Kwame Brown < Aminu
Javaris Crittendon, Aaron Mckie < Kaman
Two late first round picks < Likely lottery pick in a deep draft

Their not even close. Aminu is an Andre Igoudala type player who will be very good, Eric Gordon is lights out scorer, Kaman, an expiring contract and Center so you can move Okafor to PF. The deal is a good deal! Plus Gordon not signing is really a non factor because the Hornets can match any offer sheet he signs in the offseason. So Gordon will be locked up, Aminu will be a very good 3rd guy in the line up, and you are getting 2 first round picks in a deep draft!! I don't see this as anything but a win, even if they have to move both picks to get a guy like Drummond at the 1 spot thats still a very nice haul for a team rebuilding and for sale.

DaVille
01-29-2012, 01:17 AM
Lets see Eric Gordon or Kwame Brown... I hope this is a joke

Revisionist history doesn't change the fact: centerpiece for Pau Gasol was Kwame Brown. Yes that Kwame Brown! Marc Gasol is a revelation.

Hellcrooner
01-29-2012, 01:20 AM

Revisionist history doesn't change the fact: centerpiece for Pau Gasol was Kwame Brown. Yes that Kwame Brown! Marc Gasol is a revelation.

do you think that stupid fans run the FO of teams?

Do you think memphis didnt have scouts in spain watching how Marc gasol was leading the rankings for spanish league mvp ( wich he got) and makint the best advanced stats ever in the league( yep better than petrovics,sabonis or his brothers) in his way to it?

come on :rolleyes:

Meaze_Gibson
Marc Gasol < Eric Gordon
Kwame Brown < Aminu
Javaris Crittendon, Aaron Mckie < Kaman
Two late first round picks < Likely lottery pick in a deep draft

Their not even close. Aminu is an Andre Igoudala type player who will be very good, Eric Gordon is lights out scorer, Kaman, an expiring contract and Center so you can move Okafor to PF. The deal is a good deal! Plus Gordon not signing is really a non factor because the Hornets can match any offer sheet he signs in the offseason. So Gordon will be locked up, Aminu will be a very good 3rd guy in the line up, and you are getting 2 first round picks in a deep draft!! I don't see this as anything but a win, even if they have to move both picks to get a guy like Drummond at the 1 spot thats still a very nice haul for a team rebuilding and for sale.

Aminu is far from Igoudola. Igoudala can run an offense and lock up on D. Aminu averages 5 pts a game and like 0.7 assists in 20 minutes. He's not near the young Igoudola. Also, its already reported that they are moving kaman. Finally, Marc Gasol and Eric Gordon cannot be compared but...Gasol arguably has more value as a top 5 center with playoff experience than Gordon does as a top 5 shooting guard who cant create for others.

MickeyMgl

Lakers got Pau Gasol. Grizzlies got Marc Gasol plus the Lakers' 2008 1st-round pick (which they traded for Darrell Arthur) plus the Lakers' 2010 1st-round pick (Greivis Vasquez), and three expiring contracts (Brown/Crittenton/McKie) without which it would have been impossible to sign Zach Randolph.

Whereas...

The Clippers sent the Hornets Eric Gordon, Chris Kaman, something called "Al-Farouq Aminu", and Minnesota's 2012 1st-round pick (currently #12). In exchange, the NBA sent the Clippers Chris Paul and Chauncey Billups (Believe it!).

The rejected trade sent Chris Paul to the Lakers and Pau Gasol to the Rockets. The Hornets would have received Lamar Odom, Luis Scola, Kevin Martin, Goran Dragic, and the Knicks' 2012 1st-round pick (via Houston; currently #15).

The NBA/Stern did all it could to save face after colluding to stop the original Paul trade, but they ended up shooting their own franchise (Hornets) in the foot just to spite the Lakers. The Hornets would have received a pretty good starting five out of that trade.

MickeyMgl
01-29-2012, 01:22 AM
They got Minni's pick in the draft and their own pick...

They received their own pick in the trade???

MickeyMgl
01-29-2012, 01:28 AM
They wouldnt have cap space, no good draft pick, & not close to a contender

This trade is still better

In terms of player value, the Hornets were coming out so far ahead in this deal that they could still have flipped these players for more picks and cap space.

da ThRONe
01-29-2012, 01:46 AM
When a superstar decides he wants to leave his current team there's no way that team can get fair value for that player. Still I don't see how anybody can view the Clippers deal as bad let alone awful. We are in a great position to rebuild this franchise in the next 2-3 years.

I'm not a big David Stern fan, but the two decision he and the league have made for the Hornets have been the right ones. First he vetoed a deal that was bad for us and would have left the team mediocre for years. Then he stopped Demps from rushing a deal with Gordon. Now we have the advantage of just waiting and seeing what the market value for Gordon is after the season and pay him that. If it ends up being a max deal. Nothing gain nothing lost.

gbrl
01-29-2012, 03:03 AM
In terms of player value, the Hornets were coming out so far ahead in this deal that they could still have flipped these players for more picks and cap space.

what would be the point in that when the only teams that would be after the players would be contenders which would only net them late round draft picks also not much teams have cap space

gbrl
01-29-2012, 03:21 AM
Lakers got Pau Gasol. Grizzlies got Marc Gasol plus the Lakers' 2008 1st-round pick (which they traded for Darrell Arthur) plus the Lakers' 2010 1st-round pick (Greivis Vasquez), and three expiring contracts (Brown/Crittenton/McKie) without which it would have been impossible to sign Zach Randolph.

Whereas...

The Clippers sent the Hornets Eric Gordon, Chris Kaman, something called "Al-Farouq Aminu", and Minnesota's 2012 1st-round pick (currently #12). In exchange, the NBA sent the Clippers Chris Paul and Chauncey Billups (Believe it!).

The rejected trade sent Chris Paul to the Lakers and Pau Gasol to the Rockets. The Hornets would have received Lamar Odom, Luis Scola, Kevin Martin, Goran Dragic, and the Knicks' 2012 1st-round pick (via Houston; currently #15).

The NBA/Stern did all it could to save face after colluding to stop the original Paul trade, but they ended up shooting their own franchise (Hornets) in the foot just to spite the Lakers. The Hornets would have received a pretty good starting five out of that trade.

those players would of made the hornets a fringe playoff team with not much room for growth as those players already peaked and take up a good chunk of their capspace.

this trade netted them the best player in either deal discussed, a former lottery pick in aminu and turned their pick into a lottery one in a great draft. dont see how you can call the other trade better

MetroMan
01-29-2012, 03:57 AM
stern is a f..k...n.... jack....a...s....s

hornets are trading kaman and are not gonna extend gordon. only leaving them with a future first round pick

Sssmush
01-29-2012, 05:58 AM
Wow its only been 15 games in. You can also argue that the clippers only got Paul for 2/3 of his value at this point. This is typical of the reactionary tendencies of short sighted posters. Look back in 2-3 years for a better sample.

How about, we look in next November, when the "Chris Paul doesn't want to sign an extension" and "Clippers must trade CP3 before he walks for nothing" and "CP3 being shopped around league, Clippers desperate to not lose him for nothing" stories are in full effect.

At least NO got a couple mid 1st round picks and an RFA in Gordon they can keep for a couple years, hopefully at max-max-max $$.

maybe Clippers make that deal or maybe they don't, but either way, not that big of a deal, just a 1 year rental + a "Carmelo period" starting next year. And NO didn't get much but what do they expect, they did ok. CP3 was never gonna sign in NO or Clippers.

Sssmush
01-29-2012, 06:01 AM
the way Clippers can win is if they trade CP3 this summer before the draft for better picks than what the traded for him (chap stern's ***) as well as a good role player or two or workable veteran who willing to play on Clippers for a few years and work hard.

CP3 is a way better trade chip than RFA Eric Gordon and a couple of picks outside the lottery

Sssmush
01-29-2012, 06:02 AM
CP3 might be worth a top 3 pick straight up, maybe to Orlando or Boston or NY right before the draft

Derick713
01-29-2012, 06:19 AM
The Grizzles got a lot out of the Lakers. The got a franchise center in Marc Gasol. The Grizzles gained the flexibility to trade up for Mayo and get Randolph. They got Greivis Vasquez with the Lakers 2010 pick. The Grizzles basically got Darrell Arthur with the Lakers 2008 1st Round Pick.

The Chris Paul deal is looking terrible for the league. The Minnesota pick doesn't project to be a high lottery pick. Eric Gordon seems injury prone and unlikely to sign an extension. Al-Farouq Aminu doesn't seem like that great of a prospect. The Grizzles didn't get multiple 1st Rounders.

Sssmush
01-29-2012, 09:28 AM
league coulda sign and traded CP3 at the deadline for more, or before the draft for a top 3 pick. Vetoing the deal with the Lakers put pressure on the league and the NO, they ****ed themselves

DR_1
01-29-2012, 12:51 PM

Lol this exactly

JEDean89
01-29-2012, 05:43 PM
no way is minnys pick going to be top 5

da ThRONe
01-29-2012, 06:19 PM
I don't think Demps had any intentions on keeping Kaman. I know as a Hornets fan I didn't. Whether it was via trade or just letting his contract expire I think Kaman leaving was part of the "Clippers trade" plan all along.

Kevj77
01-29-2012, 06:31 PM

Revisionist history doesn't change the fact: centerpiece for Pau Gasol was Kwame Brown. Yes that Kwame Brown! Marc Gasol is a revelation.Are you serious? Only an uninformed fan or a hater would say the Grizzlies actually wanted Kwame and not his expiring contract. The cap space they got from trading for Kwame and letting his contract expire enabled them to trade for Randolph.

They didn't want Kwame they wanted cap space why don't some people understand the value of cap space to a rebuilding team?

gbrl
01-29-2012, 06:54 PM
no hindsight

would you rather trade your star for cap space a player with great potential and potential lottery pick or cap space late picks and a player picked in the second round

Hellcrooner
01-29-2012, 08:08 PM
no hindsight

would you rather trade your star for cap space a player with great potential and potential lottery pick or cap space late picks and a player picked in the second round

because memphis scouts had no idea what gasol II was going to be :rolleyes:

gbrl
01-29-2012, 09:39 PM
because memphis scouts had no idea what gasol II was going to be :rolleyes:

if they knew what he was gonna be why didn't they pick him up in the first round

Hellcrooner
01-29-2012, 09:42 PM
if they knew what he was gonna be why didn't they pick him up in the first round

because he was goign to stay in europe for a while.

Thats why he fell into second round.

RCarlson85
01-29-2012, 09:55 PM
This trade isn't looking as good for the Hornets as it first did. Gordon is injured and so far hasn't committed long term, Kaman is on his way out, and the Wolves are close to .500. We'll have to wait and see, but this trade is not looking so good right now.

I think they deal with the Rockets was FAR better also. Scola, Martin, Odom, Dragic, and a pick is way better than this.

ramz.n
01-29-2012, 09:56 PM
how could the paul one be a bad deal for the hornets..they knew paul was going to leave and had to get something for him..they got a first which had the potential to be a lottery..plus there own pick..the got eric gordon who is injuried but when hes healthy he is arguably a top 5 player from his draft class and is one of the best young sg in the league...imo the 2 1st round picks they have and eric gordon can fast track them in there rebuild.

..i would rather have that package than one with an aging pau gasol and a lamar odom who are both at the end of his prime

RCarlson85
01-29-2012, 09:58 PM
no way is minnys pick going to be top 5

It's going to be hilarious when it turns out to be a pick in the 12-15 range of the 1st round.

RCarlson85
01-29-2012, 09:59 PM
how could the paul one be a bad deal for the hornets..they knew paul was going to leave and had to get something for him..they got a first which had the potential to be a lottery..plus there own pick..the got eric gordon who is injuried but when hes healthy he is arguably a top 5 player from his draft class and is one of the best young sg in the league...imo the 2 1st round picks they have and eric gordon can fast track them in there rebuild.

..i would rather have that package than one with an aging pau gasol and a lamar odom who are both at the end of his prime

They were never getting Pau. They would have gotten Scola, Martin, Odom, Dragic, and a pick.

MickeyMgl
01-30-2012, 06:53 AM
those players would of made the hornets a fringe playoff team with not much room for growth as those players already peaked and take up a good chunk of their capspace.

Well, shoot, they were a fringe playoff team LAST season WITH Chris Paul. Sounds like your rebuilding plan is based on losing games and playing the lottery.

this trade netted them the best player in either deal discussed, a former lottery pick in aminu and turned their pick into a lottery one in a great draft. dont see how you can call the other trade better

Odom was a better player than Gordon last year. Aminu is nothing so far. The other trade offered known commodities. Correcting my earlier post, the lottery pick they got from the Clippers is actually #13 right now. The one they'd have gotten from Houston is at #9.