PDA

View Full Version : Is Bargnani having an All-Star calibre season?

GodsSon
01-26-2012, 06:34 PM
Sometimes it's difficult to gauge how well your own players are doing due to homerism (your own and your team forum), so I figured I'd get some feedback from the NBA forum on this topic...

Also, please remove any pre-existing bias from years past about how "he's a soft Euro" and strictly focus on this year, please and thank you.

In 13 games this year he's averaging 23.5 ppg (48 FG%), 6.4 rpg and 2.1 apg while also shooting the most amount of FT attempts in his career at nearly 6.5 per game. Combine that with the fact he has the highest USG% in his career, highest TS% (.576) and highest ORtg.
As for the defensive side of things, he's looked much more engaged on D, significantly improving his help-defence and actually drawing charges; while also having the best DRtg of his career, most WS/48 of his career and is currently 15th in PER in the entire league. Apparently he's also 1st in points-per-possession? (couldn't find that stat though).

While his recent injuries almost guarantee him having no shot at the game, the Raptors are 6-7 with him in the line-up, while he's looked All-Star-esque at many points in time this season; and finally starting to live up to his billing as the 1st overall pick in 2006.

Thoughts?

Birdmannn
01-26-2012, 06:36 PM
All Star - No

Gators123
01-26-2012, 06:40 PM
Hes having a good season, but 6.4 rebounds in 36 minutes is terrible.

bredin07
01-26-2012, 06:40 PM
Apparently the injury last night was worse than his original injury. If he could stay healthy, then by all means he is having an all star season. I am usually very critical of his play but this year, his help defence is much improved, and he is scoring more than ever in his career.

Chronz
01-26-2012, 06:48 PM
According to synergy hes not #1 in PPP, but his defensive stats are monstrous. Point being, I dont trust early season results right now.

But for whats its worth, in terms of PPP, Bargnani is in the top 17 in PnR, Off Screens, and Post-Up Scoring. With a 25th rank in Isolation.

That is All-Star caliber.

FriedTofuz
01-26-2012, 06:50 PM
oh godson, you make theses thread too early sometimes. A couple wins vs cleveland and ny and you make a thread, a couple wins with bargnani back and you make a thread..

Yes, I would agree with you, he is playing like an all star and he definatly has improved defensivly. Will he be an all star? no, hes been injuried for too long and that rebounding number should go up a bit more and his team record is way below .500. Although I personaly think he deserves to be an all star, he wont get that oppertunity.

Greet
01-26-2012, 06:51 PM
According to synergy hes not #1 in PPP, but his defensive stats are monstrous. Point being, I dont trust early season results right now.

But for whats its worth, in terms of PPP, Bargnani is in the top 17 in PnR, Off Screens, and Post-Up Scoring. With a 25th rank in Isolation.

That is All-Star caliber.

I read something that said he was #1 in PPP

Tmath
01-26-2012, 06:53 PM
I admit his rebounding could be better but thats the last thing you should be looking at when it comes to Bargnani. His impact on the offensive end whether its spreading the floor for team mates or looking to score him self is all-star level and he either is or was leading the league in defensive man to man. He is a borderline all-star imo.

FriedTofuz
01-26-2012, 06:54 PM
if bargnani can improve his defense, which he did, he can improve his rebounding

Kinglorious
01-26-2012, 06:56 PM
These calf injuries are scaring me, because in the games that he's played he's definitely been at the All-Star level and showing his leadership qualities.

His shots are falling, his drive and finish at the net has improved. The rebounding is still a concern though, understandably, but it's at the highest it's ever been.

If he's well, he should be in the game in Orlando, but we'll see...

beardown4243
01-26-2012, 06:56 PM
I think he has a good chance to make the all-star team. Besides Howard who else is going to make it at the center position?

Iodine
01-26-2012, 07:02 PM
He is #1 in PPP for guys who have over 100 defensive possessions IIRC.

And yes, NO ONE MAN SHOULD HAVE ALL THAT PAAAASSSTTAA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNIqK9lHFCY

FriedTofuz
01-26-2012, 07:05 PM
I think he has a good chance to make the all-star team. Besides Howard who else is going to make it at the center position?

he plays powerforward now.

Celtics33
01-26-2012, 07:24 PM
I think he's have a great year and I'd have to say he is having a all-star caliber year. He just has to improve his rebounding.

smith&wesson
01-26-2012, 07:37 PM
the all star game is a popularity contest. you could be playing at an allstar level doesnt mean you will be an allsar though.

but yes in 13 games he has been playing at a high level.

LanceUpperCut
01-26-2012, 07:48 PM
He might not keep this up with the calf injuries but if anyone thinks this guy doesn't deserve a all-star nod as of now your just a hater. Stats aside, the Raptors with Bargs have been winning games at a decent rate ,the raps without bargs are the worst team in the league.

aman_13
01-26-2012, 07:56 PM
Hes been a stud.

beasted86
01-26-2012, 08:09 PM
No, but he's having a good season. Though I wouldn't be surprised if he gets in at backup Center. Lopez and Horford have been injured, and here is not many other options. Coaches may vote in Chandler or someone else.. I'm not sure.

I've said it before. Raptors are a legit starting SF away from being a playoff team again. It's easy to get a 7-8th seed in the East. They just need a guy who can play defense and shoot... doesn't even have to be an all-star player. A Nicolas Batum type player would be perfect.

FriedTofuz
01-26-2012, 08:20 PM
raptors have james johnson hes an excellent defender and althoug his stats dont show it, he creates alot of oppertunies for the raptors to get more possesions because his defense creates offense for his team. batum hates toronto and doesnt want to play here because of something happend before the draft. Google it

Rangerchick
01-26-2012, 08:31 PM
I like how Bargnani is getting outrebounded by Kyle Lowry who's a PG and at 6'0" is a foot shorter than AB is.

smith&wesson
Batum would be :drool: but ya we didnt select him and he was cheesed or somthing.

Trace
raptors have james johnson hes an excellent defender and althoug his stats dont show it, he creates alot of oppertunies for the raptors to get more possesions because his defense creates offense for his team. batum hates toronto and doesnt want to play here because of something happend before the draft. Google it

It was because we promised to draft him but then we traded away the pick for O'Neal and company.

smith&wesson
01-26-2012, 08:32 PM
I like how Bargnani is getting outrebounded by Kyle Lowry who's a PG and at 6'0" is a foot shorter than AB is.

its true his weakness is in rebounding. but his defence has improved alot and i think thats worth mentioning.

Birdmannn
01-26-2012, 08:42 PM
Harrison Barnes anyone?

FriedTofuz
01-26-2012, 08:47 PM
Myck Kabongo anyone? raptors make the playoffs and draft him

Birdmannn
01-26-2012, 08:57 PM
Myck Kabongo anyone? raptors make the playoffs and draft him

I will look him up what does he play?

I was just saying Harrison Barnes because I thought their weak point was small forward.

shep33
01-26-2012, 09:01 PM
Great year, but the lack of wins will hurt him

FriedTofuz
01-26-2012, 09:07 PM
I will look him up what does he play?

I was just saying Harrison Barnes because I thought their weak point was small forward.

Hes a PG and some say he as good of a playmaker like steve nash. hes a pure pg and none of that combo guard nonsense and he is from toronto

Iodine
01-26-2012, 10:02 PM
The lost Jonas Brother will make any lack of rebounding a non issue :drool:

Nick O
01-26-2012, 10:14 PM
no for 2 reasons.. 1. hes injured now :( might be out more games than last time so /: unfortunately he prob wont even have played all that much by the break.

2. if he were listed as a center hed be a no doubter backup to D12 but since hes listed as a forward no. there are way too many good forwards, /:

Nick O
01-26-2012, 10:16 PM

his rebounding is weak but hes greatly improved his D .. but if you watch him he really doesnt hang around the basket that much because he plays like a 3. just the way he is.

GodsSon
01-27-2012, 12:16 AM
The lost Jonas Brother will make any lack of rebounding a non issue :drool:

Double drool worthy :drool: :drool:

John Walls Era
01-27-2012, 01:29 AM
Hes a PG and some say he as good of a playmaker like steve nash. hes a pure pg and none of that combo guard nonsense and he is from toronto

Myck isn't going to be good enough right away. Kendall Marshall is better, but even he would be an early pick.

Sadds The Gr8
01-27-2012, 01:34 AM
the injuries are ****in up any chance of him making it. if he was healthy he'd definitely deserve the spot over Amare

aman_13
01-27-2012, 11:56 AM
Why can't he just average 8 or 9 boards a game. It's the only thing right now holding him back from getting more respect around the league.

heyman321
01-27-2012, 12:11 PM

James Johnson is trash.

astrosmaniac
01-27-2012, 12:20 PM

true, but lowry is the best rebounding PG in the NBA :)

thunderforce
01-27-2012, 12:51 PM
James Johnson is trash.

JJ is playing better all the time and he is not trash , Kleiza is playing pretty good too .

pebloemer
01-27-2012, 01:04 PM
In 13 games he's definitely played like an all-star. But injuries and Toronto's poor record will keep him out this year. It's worth noting though, Toronto is 6-7 with Bargnani and 0-6 without him.

justinnum1
01-27-2012, 01:23 PM
he's out indefinitely