PDA

View Full Version : Lamar Odom Says He's "Not Myself"

KB-Pau-DH2012
01-26-2012, 03:43 PM
http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/7505497/lamar-odom-hits-rock-bottom-dallas-mavericks-says-not-myself

DALLAS -- Lamar Odom, who has been mostly awful since arriving to the Dallas Mavericks in a salary-dump deal from the Los Angeles Lakers before the season, admitted that he's "not myself yet" after another miserable performance Wednesday night.

Odom's scoring average is half of what it was when he was a Laker, and he's shooting 32.9 percent from the floor through 19 games after going 2-for-14 in Dallas' 105-90 loss to the Minnesota Timberwolves on Wednesday.

Last season with the Lakers, Odom averaged 14.4 points and shot a career-best 53 percent from the field and winning NBA Sixth Man of the Year honors.

"I just missed shots I normally make," Odom said after the game. He had five shots blocked in the first half and was benched midway through the third quarter. "It's kind of like an exclamation for the start of the season for myself. I'm not myself yet.

"All I can do is remain patient. An old friend of mine used to tell me, 'It's not what you're gonna do. It's what can you do. What can you do?' "

Odom put up 14 shots in 16 minutes as a fill-in starter at power forward with Dirk Nowitzki out of the lineup, mixing an assortment of drives denied by Darko Milicic with jump shots. His shot selection wasn't an issue.

"We want him to be aggressive," Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle said. "We want him to attack. He's got a unique skill of being able to put the ball on the floor and make plays. He just had some opportunities that didn't go down.

"This has been a challenge. We've been positive, upbeat about it, and will continue to be. When we address things, we address things honestly. We're working hard with him. ... My assumption is that he is [engaged with the team], that he does care. We don't make excuses around here, so I'm not going to get into all the stuff with the things that happened before he got here. That's in the past now and we've got to concentrate on now."

The 32-year-old Odom, who is making $8.9 million this season, is confident that he's "still got it." When asked what's missing from his game right now, he replied, "The ball going in."

It's much more than that. His rebounding and assist numbers are down significantly, and on a per-minute basis, not just because his playing time has decreased in Dallas. His body language is often questionable at best, although he's bothered by such a suggestion.

"You can't go off that," said Odom, who made a point to mention that the Mavs (11-8) have been winning on a regular basis recently. "I can be upset at myself. I can fake body language and act like I'm not upset, but I expect more out of myself than you could ever expect out of me.

"I've been a good basketball player since I can remember. If you expect me to play well, then you can just imagine what I expect out of myself."

Iron24th
01-26-2012, 03:56 PM
A lose-lose situation,the Lakers lost a great 6th man,and Odom lost the love of the game.

RaiderLakersA's
01-26-2012, 04:52 PM
The trade to Dallas should have NEVER happened. I don't care how upset he was about being included in the CP3 trade or the possible Howard trade, once neither of those deals materialized, Mitch should have stood pat and kept Odom in LA. Even if he demanded to be traded. It was obviously an emotional reaction on both of their parts. Odom was part of the core that made LA a tough out for most teams in the league and a shadow contender for the championship.

KB-Pau-DH2012
01-26-2012, 04:54 PM
I think he plays out this season, the Mavs cut him this summer (where he gets paid only $2.4M), and I seriously think he retires.

I would not be surprised if this is Lamar Odom's final season in the NBA.

13 yrs

4 seasons with the Los Angeles Clippers

1 season with the Miami Heat

7 seasons with the Los Angeles Lakers

1 season with the Dallas Mavericks

RETIRE!

smith&wesson
01-26-2012, 05:07 PM
la needed him. he needed la.

this was a bad trade for everyone involved.

lakers4sho
01-26-2012, 05:11 PM
all due to basketball reasons

THINKBLUE15
01-26-2012, 08:21 PM
No Lamar...you are exactly like yourself. Moping around like a little girl.

Lamar has had some personal tragedies and rough patches, so I usually give him the benefit of the doubt and try to sympathize with him, but we all deal with bad situations in our life and I am over feeling sorry for Lamar.

Fresno
01-26-2012, 08:38 PM
No Lamar...you are exactly like yourself. Moping around like a little girl.

Lamar has had some personal tragedies and rough patches, so I usually give him the benefit of the doubt and try to sympathize with him, but we all deal with bad situations in our life and I am over feeling sorry for Lamar.

Everybody reacts to tragedy differently.

C-Style
01-26-2012, 08:38 PM
sad but he was most likely gonna get traded even if the CP3 didn't happened. Unless Lakers would have given up Gasol/Bynum for Dwight/Fillers

Fresno
01-26-2012, 08:51 PM
la needed him. he needed la.

this was a bad trade for everyone involved.
True.

I dont think Odom is comfortable in his role in Dallas considering he had evolved his game in LA to the point his game revolved around Kobe & the Triangle offense.

He bought into "Team Ball" and made serious sacrifices for his own personal glory. In the process he became a much smarter player and changed his "Go get it" approach that he displayed early in his career with the Clippers.

I mean look at how much well rounded his game became.

When he got to LA Odom averaged 9.3 RPG as a starter playing 40 minutes per game and then in 2010 he averaged 9.7 RPG as a 6th Man playing 31 MPG. Thats a prime example of how much he improved.

The Final Boss
01-26-2012, 08:58 PM
Lamar and the rest of these athletes don't give a **** about you, yet PSD and fans feel sorry for them. :laugh: He is past his decline, and Kupchak moved him at the right time. In the end Los Angeles wins. They ALWAYS have and ALWAYS will.

kenzo400
01-26-2012, 10:28 PM
I think he plays out this season, the Mavs cut him this summer (where he gets paid only $2.4M), and I seriously think he retires.

I would not be surprised if this is Lamar Odom's final season in the NBA.

13 yrs

4 seasons with the Los Angeles Clippers

1 season with the Miami Heat

7 seasons with the Los Angeles Lakers

1 season with the Dallas Mavericks

RETIRE!

He is only 32 with no serious injury problems. Why would he retire? That doesn't make any logical sense.

KB-Pau-DH2012
01-26-2012, 10:46 PM
He is only 32 with no serious injury problems. Why would he retire? That doesn't make any logical sense.

He's made his money, already won 2 rings, starting a relatively new relationship with Khloe, and he already admitted that with the death of his cousin last summer, he was seriously considering stepping away from the game.

Now by going to Dallas and no longer being a Laker, he's lost the passion, motivation and love for the game of basketball. Who wants to deal with a case like that?

I am Smart
01-27-2012, 12:16 AM
Adam Dunn of the NBA

kenzo400
01-27-2012, 07:51 PM
He's made his money, already won 2 rings, starting a relatively new relationship with Khloe, and he already admitted that with the death of his cousin last summer, he was seriously considering stepping away from the game.

Now by going to Dallas and no longer being a Laker, he's lost the passion, motivation and love for the game of basketball. Who wants to deal with a case like that?

People don't step away from millions of dollars. If he was 38 or 39 i understand retiring. But you never hear of players retiring at 32, unless they are forced to due to injury problems.

People don't leave millions of dollars behind . Even if he has already made a fortune.