PDA

View Full Version : Eric Gordon and Hornets Fail To Reach Extension

KB-Pau-DH2012
01-26-2012, 12:49 AM
http://rotoworld.com/player/nba/1496/eric-gordon

According to Yahoo! Sports Marc Spears, Eric Gordon and the Hornets failed to reach terms on a contract extension, meaning he will become a restricted free agent this summer.
The NBA, which owns the Hornets, had given the team clearance to offer Gordon an extension, but the two sides could not reach an agreement before Wednesday's deadline. The Pacers appear to be an early favorite to make a run at the Indiana-native, according to Spears. Jan 25 - 11:47 PM
Source: Marc Spears on Twitter

Sportfan
01-26-2012, 12:58 AM
:clap:

Basketball Reasons strikes again!!!!

Raps18-19 Champ
01-26-2012, 01:01 AM
He's restricted.

He'll be back with the team for at least 3 more years most likely.

Cal827
01-26-2012, 01:06 AM

:laugh:

Tmath
01-26-2012, 01:07 AM
He's restricted.

I'm hoping Raptors will work out a S&T. Won't happen but here's hoping.

Sportfan
01-26-2012, 01:13 AM
He's restricted.

If he's pissed, he could just take the Qo and get out next year

when you're a team like the hornets far from competing you don't give out max contracts like that.....NOH won't give him the max unless Otis Smith heads to NO

RaiderKid318
01-26-2012, 01:13 AM
o well :(

MJ-BULLS
01-26-2012, 01:16 AM
hes going to be back with the team.

Raps18-19 Champ
01-26-2012, 01:16 AM
If he's pissed, he could just take the Qo and get out next year

when you're a team like the hornets far from competing you don't give out max contracts like that.....NOH won't give him the max unless Otis Smith heads to NO

He's a young guy and most of these young players care more about locking up the money now.

I see him no different. Might be less than the max but he'll take the long term money IMO over the QO.

nolafan33
01-26-2012, 01:20 AM
Just a failure by everyone involved.

Hornets offered 52M over 4 years, Gordon wanted 58M over 4 years.

6M over a 4 year span shouldn't be the breaking point of a deal. Someone should have came down off their demands and got this deal worked out.

JNA17
01-26-2012, 02:07 AM
yeah...that clippers-hornets deal looks REAL great now. I mean their only 3-15 with Gordon just happened to get injured and players like Kamen and whoever else they got playing like crap. And that T-Wolves that somehow seemed to be the deal breaker of that trade now looks like it might not even be lottery bound (well definitely not top 5 anymore or possibly top 10 anymore.)

sunsfan88
01-26-2012, 02:23 AM
I hope the Suns trade for him. A 3 way trade with Nash, Hill, Dudley or/and Lopez going to a 3rd team and the 3rd team's assets going to New Orleans?

Suns have cap room too so they can take Ariza's ugly contract if they wanted to dump it.

shep33
01-26-2012, 02:31 AM
If he doesn't stay... the CP3 deal becomes so horrible on every level. Essentially they would've traded CP3 for Kaman's expiring and Aminu, with the Minny pick not likely going to be in the lottery.

Raps18-19 Champ
01-26-2012, 02:35 AM
Why are people fretting about him not resigning?

It's 6 mil that was the problem. Something that will likely be resolved by the summer.

He's staying. When he leaves, it'll be when he opts out of his new contract.

iggypop123
01-26-2012, 02:43 AM
Why are people fretting about him not resigning?

It's 6 mil that was the problem. Something that will likely be resolved by the summer.

He's staying. When he leaves, it'll be when he opts out of his new contract.

Indiana can offer that they want him and its his hometown

Raps18-19 Champ
01-26-2012, 02:45 AM
Indiana can offer that they want him and its his hometown

Hornets can match. :shrug:

Only way he leaves is if he demands a trade or accepts the QO and waits 1 more year.

Corey
01-26-2012, 02:46 AM
Teams will offer him the max, and he'll sign an offer-sheet somewhere.

It'll come down to NOH matching.

lavilevi23
01-26-2012, 02:52 AM
not worth more than 12m per year IMHO

bholly
01-26-2012, 02:54 AM

6M over a 4 year span shouldn't be the breaking point of a deal. Someone should have came down off their demands and got this deal worked out.

Not so much a failure on Gordon's part, I wouldn't have thought, because of this:

Teams will offer him the max, and he'll sign an offer-sheet somewhere.

It'll come down to NOH matching.

He'll get the max either now or later, so it makes no sense for him to take less now. If they want to lock him up it's their job to bridge the gap, and their failure for not doing so.

Sportfan
01-26-2012, 02:57 AM
I haven't followed EG much, but anyone know the extent of his prior injuries? Noticed he missed 20 games in 2010, 26 in 2011, and he's been out since the second game till at earliest end of February.

It's not very smart for a franchise that's starting over to give out a max deal to a guy with injury concerns....I'm sure someone will offer close to it, but I wouldn't be surprised if the hornets let him walk, it could turn into a disaster (or a cornerstone for the team's future, who knows it's very risky)

KB-Pau-DH2012
01-26-2012, 02:59 AM

Veto! :D

JNA17
01-26-2012, 03:06 AM
Veto! :D

Eric Gordon probably decided to sign the extension but Stern at the last minute vetoed the signing for "Basketball Reasons". :rolleyes:

RaiderKid318
01-26-2012, 03:12 AM
regardless of what we do we will win this situation. If we don't want to keep gordon we will just match the offer and work a deal out with the team he wants to go to, or trade him to who ever the **** we want lol. Or we work out a deal and keep him. I honestly hope we trade him because I am tired of injury prone stars.

tmacmamba
01-26-2012, 03:57 AM
Sign and Trade to the Pacers for Danny Granger?

5ass
01-26-2012, 04:02 AM

wow seriously? thats so dumb if its true

da ThRONe
01-26-2012, 04:21 AM

I'm proud of this organization. 52 million was too much under these conditions IMO. Dude has to at least show he can finish this season strong and healthy before we break that kind of bread.

We have plenty of options most of which ends up with Gordon remaining with the Hornets.

da ThRONe
01-26-2012, 04:23 AM
I haven't followed EG much, but anyone know the extent of his prior injuries? Noticed he missed 20 games in 2010, 26 in 2011, and he's been out since the second game till at earliest end of February.

It's not very smart for a franchise that's starting over to give out a max deal to a guy with injury concerns....I'm sure someone will offer close to it, but I wouldn't be surprised if the hornets let him walk, it could turn into a disaster (or a cornerstone for the team's future, who knows it's very risky)

We'll trade him before we get nothing in return. Preferably for a nice young prospect and another 1st round draft pick.

da ThRONe
01-26-2012, 04:29 AM
Not so much a failure on Gordon's part, I wouldn't have thought, because of this:

He'll get the max either now or later, so it makes no sense for him to take less now. If they want to lock him up it's their job to bridge the gap, and their failure for not doing so.

Why would we force a deal now? We're talking about a guy who has yet to play a complete season and is injured during the negotiations. Why would we just give him a max deal? Especially in our fragile state.

He won't get a max deal if he ends this season poorly or continues to get injuried. It's a much bigger gamble for Gordon than it is the Hornets!

D1JM
01-26-2012, 04:59 AM
it's obvious. he is going to the bulls or knicks

Korman12
01-26-2012, 06:51 AM
NBA's weird, guys

Raph12
01-26-2012, 08:30 AM
He's a RFA so they'll probably match regardless... I know some team will throw him the max like idiots, but will Stern match? That's intriguing.

Evolution23
01-26-2012, 09:25 AM
waiting for a rumor that links him with the knicks

Hawkeye15
01-26-2012, 09:42 AM
He will hit restricted free agency, and the Hornets will match any offer. No big deal here.

nolafan33
01-26-2012, 11:50 AM
I'm proud of this organization. 52 million was too much under these conditions IMO. Dude has to at least show he can finish this season strong and healthy before we break that kind of bread.

We have plenty of options most of which ends up with Gordon remaining with the Hornets.

I really do believe, if 58 is the max a team can offer, that is what he will get. I feel like we were just delaying the inevitable. I also don't agree with the whole "let him prove it" thing. If he comes back in three weeks, he would have about 37 games to "prove himself." If he plays all those games, averages 22-25 points, what does that really prove? We already knew he was a great scorer. But I don't know if your from (or around) New Orleans, but alot of us are fans of the Saints. Reggie Bush played 15 games this year, more than 600 snaps. What does that really prove? I expect him to go back to his injured ways next year and miss games. Same thing applies for Gordon, what does 37 games really prove? We already know when he is on the court he will put up around 21-22 points per game, if not more. So does 37 healthy games mean more than a few years of being injured? I don't think. The only thing those games can really do is prove what we already knew.

Lets look at the facts. The Hornets want him. Gordon has openly admitted to liking it here, and he loves Monty and Dell. He wants to stay. I don't know how the RFA period works, but we will either get a deal before he signs a offer sheet, or he will sign a offer sheet and we will match. Also, it needs to be noted that we can offer him more than anyone else since we have his bird rights.

He's a RFA so they'll probably match regardless... I know some team will throw him the max like idiots, but will Stern match? That's intriguing.

Stern and the NBA will not own the Hornets by the offseason, things are close regarding a new owner. I've heard we can have a owner in as little as 3-4 weeks.

da ThRONe
01-26-2012, 01:49 PM
I really do believe, if 58 is the max a team can offer, that is what he will get. I feel like we were just delaying the inevitable. I also don't agree with the whole "let him prove it" thing. If he comes back in three weeks, he would have about 37 games to "prove himself." If he plays all those games, averages 22-25 points, what does that really prove? We already knew he was a great scorer. But I don't know if your from (or around) New Orleans, but alot of us are fans of the Saints. Reggie Bush played 15 games this year, more than 600 snaps. What does that really prove? I expect him to go back to his injured ways next year and miss games. Same thing applies for Gordon, what does 37 games really prove? We already know when he is on the court he will put up around 21-22 points per game, if not more. So does 37 healthy games mean more than a few years of being injured? I don't think. The only thing those games can really do is prove what we already knew.

We don't know what will happen in those 37 or so games. What we do know is we have the luxury of waiting.

Also more important than extending Gordon is securing ownership committed to keeping the team in the city. The less big contract we have the more flexible we are the more attractive this team is. The new owner/s may not want to extend Gordon to a max deal. Hell right now I don't think he has earned one. Either way right now we have so much to gain waiting and really nothing to lose. Why not wait?

Lets look at the facts. The Hornets want him. Gordon has openly admitted to liking it here, and he loves Monty and Dell. He wants to stay. I don't know how the RFA period works, but we will either get a deal before he signs a offer sheet, or he will sign a offer sheet and we will match. Also, it needs to be noted that we can offer him more than anyone else since we have his bird rights.

The point is if we can sign him later after we get a better look at him why sign him now with so much uncertainty? Waiting gives us a ton more options. So why not just wait.

JNA17
01-26-2012, 01:59 PM
He will hit restricted free agency, and the Hornets will match any offer. No big deal here.

Not unless Stern vetos it. :p

Hawkeye15
01-26-2012, 02:03 PM
Not unless Stern vetos it. :p

haha, well, the Hornets should have a new owner shortly from what I understand. They need to, its a complete comprimise of interest that the NBA even owns them.

CubbieColts
01-26-2012, 02:11 PM
He will be a Pacer and there is no question about it.... He is an Indiana boy, he still comes down to Bloomington often as I see his Black Range Rover in town sporadically.... he will put ***** in seats for Bird and is a cornerstone player for the next 10 years.... its a no brainer, they want him and he wants to be there.... max deal is a no brainer as it will pay for itself with ticket sales! Not to mention the Pacers are 1 scorer away from being a LEGIT contender in the East and I mean LEGIT contender! This was why I was so shocked that the NBA passed on the Lakers deal for CP3 and settled for the deal with the Clips knowing that EJ would not stay there......

Hawkeye15
01-26-2012, 02:22 PM
He will be a Pacer and there is no question about it.... He is an Indiana boy, he still comes down to Bloomington often as I see his Black Range Rover in town sporadically.... he will put ***** in seats for Bird and is a cornerstone player for the next 10 years.... its a no brainer, they want him and he wants to be there.... max deal is a no brainer as it will pay for itself with ticket sales! Not to mention the Pacers are 1 scorer away from being a LEGIT contender in the East and I mean LEGIT contender! This was why I was so shocked that the NBA passed on the Lakers deal for CP3 and settled for the deal with the Clips knowing that EJ would not stay there......

There is no way he is a Pacer until the 2013-14 season if he chooses that path.

da ThRONe
01-26-2012, 02:53 PM
There is no way he is a Pacer until the 2013-14 season if he chooses that path.

He could end up a Pacers this year or the next, but it would cost IND an arm and a leg to acquire him.

sf-fanatic
01-26-2012, 03:01 PM
Wow Eric Gordon is so greedy and the New Orleans FO is terrible.

Tyreke Evans and Demarcus Cousins will obviously give their teams a discount so they can surround them with better players for a championship. Kings FO is best in the league.

Hawkeye15
01-26-2012, 03:09 PM
Wow Eric Gordon is so greedy and the New Orleans FO is terrible.

Tyreke Evans and Demarcus Cousins will obviously give their teams a discount so they can surround them with better players for a championship. Kings FO is best in the league.

is there a certain poster here whose homerific style is wearing off on you....

sf-fanatic
01-26-2012, 03:22 PM
is there a certain poster here whose homerific style is wearing off on you....

I'm not even a Kings fan lol. It was a joke but I understand some people think im a Kings fans fan cause I live in Norcal. In fact, I hate the kings lol.

smith&wesson
01-26-2012, 03:33 PM
demar derozan & ed davis for e.gordon.

SluggeR
01-26-2012, 03:42 PM
I don't blame the kid, even Lil Wayne doesn't want to live in New Orleans. I can the T-Wolves along with the Pacers going after him hard. I can see the T-Wolves doing a sign and trade.

Corey
01-26-2012, 04:23 PM

I wouldn't say that's guaranteed. If they have no owner by the off-season they may be hesitant. If they do have a new owner, he may want to rebuild from scratch.

nolafan33
01-26-2012, 06:08 PM
I don't blame the kid, even Lil Wayne doesn't want to live in New Orleans. I can the T-Wolves along with the Pacers going after him hard. I can see the T-Wolves doing a sign and trade.

What about any of this tells you he doesn't want to be in New Orleans?

Was it the negotiating a four year extension part?

Hawkeye15
01-26-2012, 06:51 PM

I would love the Wolves to chase him with assets, etc. But would New Orleans be willing to drop another 5-6 spots in the draft with that Minny pick?

JNA17
01-26-2012, 07:06 PM
I would love the Wolves to chase him with assets, etc. But would New Orleans be willing to drop another 5-6 spots in the draft with that Minny pick?

With a Stern controlled Hornets, I say yes.

KingPosey
01-26-2012, 07:15 PM
Its ******** the way Demps is being treated. Why even have a GM at all? Just change the name to the New Orleans David Stern's till they are purchased.

da ThRONe
01-26-2012, 08:02 PM
Its ******** the way Demps is being treated. Why even have a GM at all? Just change the name to the New Orleans David Stern's till they are purchased.

Why is this even a big deal. Stern is the acting owner. Dell Demps role won't change once we do have an actual owner. He will need to get approval on any deals especially when it concerns talks of max deals. I thought Stern put his foot in his mouth saying he would give Demps full authority. Other than that I have no problem with Stern pulling rank and I agree with all the decision the league has made for the Hornets.

KB-Pau-DH2012
01-26-2012, 08:12 PM
Gordon out 3-6 wks with a knee contusion. Kaman is injured I think and Aminu is like whatever.

Great deal for CP3!

CubbieColts
01-27-2012, 03:01 PM
I don't think it would cost the Pacers an arm and a leg as someone posted earlier.... if he wanted to get nasty with it, he could except NO's qualifying offer for next season and walk afterwards and they get nothing in return...IND is his destination, I guarantee you that and one way or the other it will happen... this year or next! The Pacers have the cap space so that won't be a problem as they won't have to match up salaries.... EJ in Blue and Gold will be AWESOME!!

JNA17
01-27-2012, 03:16 PM
Why is this even a big deal. Stern is the acting owner. Dell Demps role won't change once we do have an actual owner. He will need to get approval on any deals especially when it concerns talks of max deals. I thought Stern put his foot in his mouth saying he would give Demps full authority. Other than that I have no problem with Stern pulling rank and I agree with all the decision the league has made for the Hornets.

Have fun cheering for a lottery team for the next decade.

But hey at least you have the Saints? ;)

da ThRONe
01-27-2012, 03:33 PM
Have fun cheering for a lottery team for the next decade.

But hey at least you have the Saints? ;)

I will thanks.