PDA

View Full Version : Magic will not extend Ryan Anderson before deadline?

spreadeagle
01-25-2012, 09:44 PM
Guy is playing out his mind right now..I assume they are busy with Dwight madness but seems like bad move.Stats this yr 17 ppg 7 boards 1 steal hitting more then 3 3pointers a game and hitting 87% from the line
INDIANAPOLIS — Orlando Magic General Manager Otis Smith indicated Tuesday that it is unlikely the team will extend the contract of power forward Ryan Anderson before Wednesday night's 11:59 EST deadline to do so for members of the 2008 draft class.

Anderson is on course to become a restricted free agent in July, and the Magic would have the opportunity to match any offer sheet that Anderson could sign with another team.

"The fact of the matter is that there are very few guys that get extended contracts like that coming off rookie deals," Smith said before the Magic faced the Indiana Pacers on Tuesday night at Bankers Life Fieldhouse.

"We like Ryan. We'd like to keep him on our team. Quite honestly, we still have the right of first refusal because he'd be a restricted free agent. It could backfire, and we could have to pay more. But that's the risk we've chosen to take."
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-magic/os-orlando-magic-news-0125-20120124,0,5009297.story?track=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+orlandosentinel%2Fsports%2Fba sketball%2Fmagic+%28OrlandoSentinel.com+-+Orland

Chronz
01-25-2012, 10:13 PM
Smart risk, will anyone really throw the bank at him?

Federal Reserve
01-25-2012, 10:15 PM
He's not that great.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
01-25-2012, 10:24 PM
Don't want to possibly over pay him after a month's sample size.

Birdmannn
01-25-2012, 10:26 PM
Dwight makes his job so easy

John Walls Era
01-25-2012, 10:28 PM
Hes a RFA, good smart move. Test the market and see how much they would have to pay.

blastmasta26
01-25-2012, 10:30 PM
How much do you think he would get on the open market anyway?

John Walls Era
01-25-2012, 10:33 PM
How much do you think he would get on the open market anyway?

Interested to see in the new CBA era. Personally I think hes worth about 5-7 Million per. Any team giving double digits better have their owner STFU if theres a lockout.

ManRam
01-25-2012, 10:34 PM
Worth the risk.

They do this for just about everyone like him...they did it for JJ and Gortat at least. Worked out well for those two.

Sportfan
system player

that being said, i'd give anderson 4/32-35 to sign with the celtics

Nets/Raiders!
never really understood why the Nets traded this guy to Orlando. I knew he would be nice ever since his first few games.

spreadeagle
01-25-2012, 10:37 PM
never really understood why the Nets traded this guy to Orlando. I knew he would be nice ever since his first few games.

Shout out to Bob at york Raps mod,he said same thing long time ago..I never knew who the hell the guy was last yr haha

ManRam
01-25-2012, 10:39 PM
A lot of Nets fans seemed very high on him.

I don't know what a "system player" is in the NBA, that's a cool cop out. He's just a great shooter, a great offensive rebounder, a good overall rebounder and plays decent defense. What system does that not work in?

mjt20mik
01-25-2012, 10:48 PM
Smart move. His value could drop.

iggypop123
01-25-2012, 10:52 PM
why did they waste money on baby and Richardson?

Fresno
01-25-2012, 10:53 PM

I don't know what a "system player" is in the NBA, that's a cool cop out. He's just a great shooter, a great offensive rebounder, a good overall rebounder and plays decent defense. What system does that not work in?
One in which he'll be asked to do more than be a role player playing around Dwight Howard. Specifically talking about the 4 Out/1 In offense Orlando runs.

What happens when Dwight is gone and defenses are gameplanning to keep him from knocking down 3's? I dont think he'll be as effective of a "scorer".

Birdmannn
01-25-2012, 10:55 PM
One in which he'll be asked to do more than be a role player playing around Dwight Howard. Specifically talking about the 4 Out/1 In offense Orlando runs.

What happens when Dwight is gone and defenses are gameplanning to keep him from knocking down 3's? I dont think he'll be as effective of a "scorer".

Gotcha. I agree

ManRam
01-25-2012, 11:32 PM

Did I say he was a "scorer"? No...not sure why you threw that in quotes.

So shooters aren't assets? Shooters that can rebound and defend too?

OK...

5ass
01-25-2012, 11:59 PM

OK...

exactly, u have to think about it this way. How many powerforwards are there in the league that can defend, rebound and are stretch 4s that shoot 42% from 3? Anderson is not a star, but he's a really good player.

Iodine
01-26-2012, 12:19 AM

Systems that never shoot 3 pointers :p

Iodine
01-26-2012, 12:21 AM
And it's a smart move, I have been a big Ry Ry fan since his Cal days, but its just good business. Plus when did anyone say Ry Ry was going to become a dominant scorer?

topdog
01-26-2012, 12:36 AM
I don't get why people are making a big deal about teams not giving their non-star players extensions. It's the same as any other year where their value will be dictated by the market and matched by the team owning their rights as a RFA.

The only real surprise is Eric Gordon, but he is injured and it is prudent to see him fully recover before committing to him long-term.

Fresno
01-26-2012, 01:04 AM

OK...
They are, however I dont even think this thread would even need to be made if it wasn't for his good start to the season.

Ryan's got a good game, but to me hes simply a role player who's success is built on the system Orlando runs.

More than 1/2 the shots he takes in each game are 3's, and thats solely due to the attention Dwight demands down low. Its a great fit for him.

Its smart for Orlando to wait and see if he can keep up this success post-Dwight or if hes simply just effective due to the system in place being favorable to him.

exactly, u have to think about it this way. How many powerforwards are there in the league that can defend, rebound and are stretch 4s that shoot 42% from 3? Anderson is not a star, but he's a really good player.

Stretch 4s are irrelevant if they're not playing opposite a legit C.

I've never been a fan of PF's who lurk the 3 Point Line, because they'll kill your offense with inefficient scoring when their 3 isn't falling.

Then what use do they have? Ask Rashard Lewis.

5ass
01-26-2012, 01:28 AM
They are, however I dont even think this thread would even need to be made if it wasn't for his good start to the season.

Ryan's got a good game, but to me hes simply a role player who's success is built on the system Orlando runs.

More than 1/2 the shots he takes in each game are 3's, and thats solely due to the attention Dwight demands down low. Its a great fit for him.

Its smart for Orlando to wait and see if he can keep up this success post-Dwight or if hes simply just effective due to the system in place being favorable to him.

I've never been a fan of PF's who lurk the 3 Point Line, because they'll kill your offense with inefficient scoring when their 3 isn't falling.

Its true that Dwight makes the game a lot easier for him, but he also makes the game alot easier for Dwight.
Anderson is a good fit next to any good offensive C, i.e Jefferson, Gasol, Bogut, cousins, ect.. If ur not a fan, ur not a fan, im not trying to make u like him, but he is an asset since he's a unique player. Hopefully though other teams dont overpay so we can match.

Chronz
01-26-2012, 01:49 AM

Rashard Lewis was a part of some of the best offenses of his time, Ryan is very efficient and consistent with his shot. What your saying is true of any scorer/shooter whos off his game, besides Im pretty sure he rebounds offensively even if hes not shooting.

Stretch-4's are never irrelevant, spacing is ALWAYS influential in ANY system.

Fresno
01-26-2012, 02:09 AM
Rashard Lewis was a part of some of the best offenses of his time, Ryan is very efficient and consistent with his shot. What your saying is true of any scorer/shooter whos off his game, besides Im pretty sure he rebounds offensively even if hes not shooting.

Stretch-4's are never irrelevant, spacing is ALWAYS influential in ANY system.
My statement of them being irrelevant outside of playing with a legit C is due to the issue of tweener Forwards like most Stretch 4's essentially are.

They offer versatility with your lineups as bench players, but as starters typically they dont have the ballhandling skills on offense or lateral agility on defense to consistently play the 3 or the post defense skills to play the 4.

All I've seen from him is spot up shooting basically. Nothing more on offense.

I haven't seen every Magic game played, but I've seen quite a few of their televised games with Anderson playing. Maybe he has some sort of post game to go with it but I just haven't seen it.

Raph12
01-26-2012, 02:38 AM
A lot of teams will have capspace for Dwight/DWill so we'll see if he gets overpaid... It's a risk though.

MetroMan
01-26-2012, 02:42 AM
smart move. it might just be a fluke . Remember people even scrubs can have 1 good year

FriedTofuz
01-26-2012, 12:40 PM
someone sign him cheap and his contract wil be great in the future when he gets even better.

ManRam
01-26-2012, 09:33 PM
The only thing holding him back were minutes really. Aside from his astronimcally low TO%, there's no reason to expect many of his stats to go down...especially his rebounding rates and shooting percentages.

ManRam
01-26-2012, 09:44 PM
I hope these guys who think he's a "system player" are watching him right now. He's dominating inside and outside, and Dwight has been on the bench for all of it...

I'm not saying he's a star, I'm saying he's more than just a role player who is only good because of Dwight. That's just ridiculous.

Chronz
01-26-2012, 09:50 PM
My statement of them being irrelevant outside of playing with a legit C is due to the issue of tweener Forwards like most Stretch 4's essentially are.

They offer versatility with your lineups as bench players, but as starters typically they dont have the ballhandling skills on offense or lateral agility on defense to consistently play the 3 or the post defense skills to play the 4.

All I've seen from him is spot up shooting basically. Nothing more on offense.

I haven't seen every Magic game played, but I've seen quite a few of their televised games with Anderson playing. Maybe he has some sort of post game to go with it but I just haven't seen it.
Anderson is the best Stretch-4 I can think of, I dont know how many teams he would start for but I know he would be a valuable player for ALL of them.

There is tremendous value in having an elite finisher, particularly if they are as productive as he is. Not only is he constantly spacing the floor but hes scoring at a decent clip with high efficiency. If he had better defense he would be an All-Star imo.

mavwar53
01-26-2012, 09:52 PM
Smart move, he is set up but the post ups by Dwight and the focus on trying to stop dwight also gets him easy offensive boards. Without D12 there I don't think that he will flourish the way he has. With that said some team will throw out a 8-9 mil a year offer for 4 years and they will regret it, he is worth no more than 5 mil IMO.

Chronz
01-26-2012, 10:02 PM
Smart move, he is set up but the post ups by Dwight and the focus on trying to stop dwight also gets him easy offensive boards. Without D12 there I don't think that he will flourish the way he has. With that said some team will throw out a 8-9 mil a year offer for 4 years and they will regret it, he is worth no more than 5 mil IMO.
Its a small sample but Ryan Anderson is 16-26 from the corner 3's with Dwight in the game and 1-7 in the minutes with out him (369-147). Not encouraging but I believe in his game, every team needs someone to knock down open jumpers, MLE sounds ok but I wouldnt be upset with a 7M deal. I never like giving out double digit salary marks but thats just me.

Ebbs
01-26-2012, 10:18 PM
Lol system player?

He is a shooter. You give shooters open looks and let them shoot? I think that is probably every teams system :eyebrow:

Nick O
01-26-2012, 10:23 PM
i wouldnt give him big money.. there is nothing in his past to say he will keep this up.. i feel hes capable of it though

Federal Reserve
01-26-2012, 10:24 PM
There's not exactly a high demand for white power forwards in the NBA today.

ManRam
01-26-2012, 10:42 PM
i wouldnt give him big money.. there is nothing in his past to say he will keep this up.. i feel hes capable of it though

IDK. He's young, and he just hasn't had the minutes up until now.

I mean, he did post a 19 PER and .217 WS/48 last year. Those are both really solid, and the latter would have put him in the top 10 last year had he qualified. His rebound rates are actually DOWN this year, and still look really solid, and his TS% and eFG% are identical to last year's. His per 36 minute stats are very similar (few rebounds this year per 36, only 2 more points per 36 minutes) IDK man, he's not doing much out of the ordinary (besides an insanely low TOV%)...he's just playing 10 more minutes a game...

Minutes <--- that's basically what has been holding him back.

He wasn't this good last year, obviously (he has improved), but he really isn't playing all that much better. He always had this potential.

Iodine
01-26-2012, 10:46 PM
Does anyone else find it weird/awesome that on 32 P&R's of his (he ranks 15th in the NBA on it) he has 0 turnovers?