PDA

View Full Version : Report: Rockets decline Team Options on Flynn, Thabeet, T-Will, Lee, & Hill

Fresno
01-25-2012, 06:45 PM
The Rockets have told each of their four lottery picks from the 2009 NBA Draft – Hasheem Thabeet, Jonny Flynn, Terrence Williams and Jordan Hill – they won’t be picking up the fourth-year option on their rookie contracts, a person with knowledge of the talks said.

The moves were not unexpected. Only Hill is playing. The Rockets, however, made the decision not as much because of the play of the four lottery picks, but to create room for a max contract free agent (Dwight Howard, Deron Williams lead the class), according to the person familiar with their thinking.

That might seem like spin, but the decision on Courtney Lee indicates that they are legitimately thinking about the cap space. Lee is playing very well with his return from a calf injury keying their recent play. He does not start, but often finishes games.

The Rockets could have negotiated a contract extension, but will instead let him become a restricted free agent.
http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2012/01/rockets-pass-on-lottery-picks-options-extensions-will-save-money-for-summer/

How the mighty have fallen.

Houston stockpiled draft busts in hopes they'd turn into something better in a new situation and they're letting them all walk in Free Agency.

smith&wesson
01-25-2012, 06:48 PM
Is lee a two or a three i cant remember

Cal827
01-25-2012, 06:49 PM
Well Deron Williams is from that State... maybe the make a play despite already having a PG?

dhopisthename
01-25-2012, 06:53 PM
The Rockets could have negotiated a contract extension, but will instead let him become a restricted free agent.

would they become restricted? if so then this really isn't a story as they will to try to get a bigtime fa and if they don't then try to resign their guys

maddBat
01-25-2012, 06:54 PM
i would love twill back on the nets lol wouldnt mind jordan hill either. hes not bad.

Federal Reserve
01-25-2012, 06:54 PM
Well Deron Williams is from that State... maybe the make a play despite already having a PG?

Lowry is playing better than Williams this season.

shep33
01-25-2012, 06:57 PM
Problem is they still have Scola + Martin who by themselves will make 22 Mill. That's not bad at all, actually probably a good price for both, but they still wouldn't be able to get Dwill + Howard, unless they take a paycut.

The Rockets got screwed with the Gasol deal... say they get Pau + Nene (which was their plan supposedly), combine that with Lowry, and that's a viable big 3, plus they become arguably the most dynamic frontcourt in the NBA.

bholly
01-25-2012, 06:59 PM
would they become restricted? if so then this really isn't a story as they will to try to get a bigtime fa and if they don't then try to resign their guys

Lee is becoming a restricted FA. The other guys are becoming unrestricted FAs.

Cal827

True, but we are also looking at a GM who was willing to gut the team in the CP3 deal, as well as send an unprotected 1st rounder to New Orleans, despite getting only a large contract back. Houston's Owner has to make sure that their GM isn't smoking crack when he's on the phone trying to make deals lol

KnicksR4Real
stupid. no one is going there

Heediot
01-25-2012, 07:00 PM

He's a 2 guard. I think he's like 6-3 6-4.

Edt: Never mind he's 6'5"

sixers247
01-25-2012, 07:04 PM
Man i thought Thabeet was gonna be the real deal. Something wrong with me.

Raph12
01-25-2012, 07:13 PM

Lee is a two-guard... I don't think they should get their hopes up, Dwight doesn't have them on his list.

Vincent
01-25-2012, 07:15 PM
a good number of teams are gonna take a chance on Jordan Hill.

HouRealCoach
01-25-2012, 07:16 PM
Twill could be good if he had his head straight

Thabeet came in on a terrible chance trying to take minutes from Gasol

Hill trying to take minutes from Lee while he was playing out of his mind

Flynn just sucked

I feel bad for these guys

HouRealCoach
01-25-2012, 07:18 PM

True, but we are also looking at a GM who was willing to gut the team in the CP3 deal, as well as send an unprotected 1st rounder to New Orleans, despite getting only a large contract back. Houston's Owner has to make sure that their GM isn't smoking crack when he's on the phone trying to make deals lol

He's also the guy that pulled off Artest for Bobby Jackson... Dont doubt him

xbrackattackx
01-25-2012, 07:20 PM
a good number of teams are gonna take a chance on Jordan Hill.

Yea he's not bad at all, I like Twil also. Flynn and Thabeet not so much. Thabeet will be like many centers before him,many will take a chance on him thinking they can tap the potential. Flynn did not look bad his rookie season but what happen? Future D leaguer of the year!

mavwar53
01-25-2012, 07:22 PM
Flynn and Thabeet are garbage, never thought much of them

Hill I think could turn into a Chris Wilcox type player, better than I thought.

Williams could be very good if he had any consistency.

koetravis
01-25-2012, 07:25 PM

Flynn just sucked

Hill is a C/PF, he isn't taking minutes from Lee.

i would love twill back on the nets lol wouldnt mind jordan hill either. hes not bad.

Jordan Hill sucks.

Mudvayne91
01-25-2012, 07:26 PM
Man i thought Thabeet was gonna be the real deal. Something wrong with me.

Really? I thought he was going to be mediocre at best coming out of UConn. Unfortunately, he's not even that.

Jint.
01-25-2012, 07:31 PM
Flynn to NY..

KingPosey
01-25-2012, 07:39 PM
I find it wierd that they made a move and got Flynn, who had a somewhat breakout year not too long ago. They have Lowry, and Flynn doesnt even sniff the floor.

Sportfan
01-25-2012, 07:41 PM
those picks could have been

James Harden #2

Steph Curry #6

Derozan #8

Taj #11

Blair with their 2nd

Quite the team

Pretty funny they managed to get the WORST 4 players from that lotto....everyone else (once Rubio and Harden take over) will be a starter

HouRealCoach
01-25-2012, 07:44 PM

Flynn just sucked

Hill is a C/PF, he isn't taking minutes from Lee.

Jordan Hill sucks.

I mean while he was a rookie he was just a backup to David Lee back in NYK

HouRealCoach
01-25-2012, 07:46 PM
those picks could have been

James Harden #2

Steph Curry #6

Derozan #8

Taj #11

Blair with their 2nd

Quite the team

Pretty funny they managed to get the WORST 4 players from that lotto....everyone else (once Rubio and Harden take over) will be a starter

They didn't draft those guys tho... They just like gave em a second chance

netsgiantsyanks
01-25-2012, 08:01 PM
t-will back to the nets?

Htownballa1622
01-25-2012, 08:13 PM
stupid. no one is going there but their record is better than the knicks

Fixed ;)

SugeKnight
01-25-2012, 08:21 PM
I thought Flynn (and Brandon Jennings)would be better than Curry. Shame on me

thekmp211
01-25-2012, 08:38 PM
i still think terrence williams will figure it out one day. so does 2k12.

phoenix_bladen
01-25-2012, 08:39 PM
I find it wierd that they made a move and got Flynn, who had a somewhat breakout year not too long ago. They have Lowry, and Flynn doesnt even sniff the floor.

no he didn't

astrosmaniac
01-25-2012, 09:02 PM

Morey is a top 5 GM in the league. He turned ariza into lee, rafter Alston into Lowry, brooks into dragic and a first, t-Mac and Landry into Martin, spinulous (who was going back to Europe) into scola. He'll be fine

John Walls Era
01-25-2012, 09:05 PM

This guy knows what hes doing. Probably one of the smartest GMs in the league. He has no rings or a lot of playoff wins, but what could he do when he had 2 huge contracts that were basically on IR most of the time.

No real surprise. All low risk decent reward pickups at the time, but they just didn't pan out (however his 2nd rounders usually do).

Reyes6
01-25-2012, 09:19 PM
You have to remember that this is a team that plays under the luxury tax, so they do quite well with the amount of money they spend.

Also, Courtney Lee is the best out of this bunch. I'm sure the Rockets will try to re-sign him if they don't get a big time FA.

T-Will is ok, would get more minutes if not for Lee-Budinger.

Flynn is insurance in case Dragic or Lowry goes down.

Thabeet is really tall.

ChongInc.
01-25-2012, 09:20 PM
toronto should be in on discount contracts for all of these guys. Thabeet + williams/lee for barbosa?

Kashmir13579
01-25-2012, 09:21 PM
Jonny Flynn.. One hell of a player for Syracuse.

Thabeet was supposed to be the next Dikembe Mutumbo

Hellcrooner
01-25-2012, 09:22 PM
Had they managed to Pull the Double Gasol move , with the capsapce they could ahve made a play for Deron this summer and become a serious contender.

Celtics33
01-25-2012, 09:50 PM

I would say a 2 guard.

koetravis
01-25-2012, 10:52 PM
Had they managed to Pull the Double Gasol move , with the capsapce they could ahve made a play for Deron this summer and become a serious contender.

But they have the cheaper and better player in Lowry?

alexander_37
01-25-2012, 10:57 PM

Flynn just sucked

He is to content to just shoot jumpers rather than drive the lane.

Fresno
01-25-2012, 11:12 PM
But they have the cheaper and better player in Lowry?

Kyle Lowry isnt better than Deron Williams.

Hes having a good season no doubt but over the course of their careers Deron has been the better player. It isn't like some special age factor either considering Deron Williams is 27 and Kyle Lowry is 25.

If Houston had the chance to move Lowry for Williams they'd do it.

The addition of Deron would attract someone like Dwight Howard to join the Rockets this summer, while Lowry really doesn't have any "star power" to warrant anyone wanting to play with him.

SouthSideRookie
01-25-2012, 11:24 PM

Hes having a good season no doubt but over the course of their careers Deron has been the better player. It isn't like some special age factor either considering Deron Williams is 27 and Kyle Lowry is 25.

The addition of Deron would attract someone like Dwight Howard to join the Rockets this summer, while Lowry really doesn't have any "star power" to warrant anyone wanting to play with him.

He's not better but compare their contracts and production and it makes you wonder if players like Howard even seriously want to win, it's too bad endorsement deals is what they are mostly after.

astrosmaniac
01-26-2012, 12:52 AM

Lowry has only been a permanent starter since last years all star break. Since then he's outplayed deron by quite a bit

CityofChaos
01-26-2012, 12:55 AM

Doesnt mean hes better than DWill...

CityofChaos
01-26-2012, 12:58 AM
Lowry has only been a permanent starter since last years all star break. Since then he's outplayed deron by quite a bit

So what? D Williams is STILL better than Lowry and you are stupid to even think otherwise.

Fresno
01-26-2012, 01:08 AM
& since last years All Star break, Deron has been playing on a terrible Nets team relying heavily on his scoring.

You put Deron around Kevin Martin & Scola and he'd do better than Lowry.

Rockets would be a Top 3 team in the West in my opinion.

On the other hand, Lowry couldn't handle the load Deron has to carry in NJ.

THE MTL
01-26-2012, 01:10 AM
Wow they just screwed over that whole class lmao! Anyway, put Dwight Howard on that team and the Rockets are actually quite scary.

Lowry-Martin-Scola-Howard. Not bad core, a slight upgrade over what he has in ORL.