PDA

View Full Version : NBA.com rookie ladder

Nick O
01-25-2012, 03:52 PM
I always like the NBA.com ladders.. anyway this is their top ten list so far .. seems pretty fair anyone missing or in the wrong spot ??

1Kyrie Irving : Cleveland Cavaliers
In case you missed it, check out Shaun Powell's recent column on NBA.com. Powell highlights the anti-LeBron-ness (is that a word?) of Irving, who isn't being babied in his rookie season. Coach Byron Scott isn't shy about riding Irving for his defensive weaknesses and Irving, in turn, is responding. "I appreciate him getting on me like that because I've got to get better defensively," Irving said. "I take full responsibility for it." What a refreshing attitude from a rookie. And his numbers reflect his work ethic. Including Tuesday's 17-point performance in a loss to the Heat (and a certain former Cavs No. 1 pick), Irving has scored in double-digits in 15 straight games and continues to lead all rookies in scoring and field-goal percentage and trails only Ricky Rubio in assists.
-- Jan. 25
RELATED LINKS
Player page: Stats, bio, etc.
RELATED VIDEOS
The Jump: Irving finds niche
Right down the lane
Fancy up-and-under move
Incredible move vs. Suns
Circus shot vs. Jazz
Jan 3: Win over Bobcats
2Ricky Rubio : Minnesota Timberwolves
Rubio continues to dazzle with his passing skills (he's averaging 9.5 assists in his last six games), but he's struggling of late with his shot. In his past five games, he's scored in double-digits just once and is shooting 23.5 percent (23 percent on 3s) in that span. Still, that didn't stop him from hitting one of the biggest shots of his young career, a corner 3 against the Clippers that tied the game just moments before Kevin Love won the game with another trey. After the game, coach Rick Adelman raved about the rookie. "He is unflappable. He missed every shot, and then he makes a big 3 to tie it," Adelman said. "The thing I like about him is that he's a competitor. He doesn't back down from anybody and he keeps an even keel. He doesn't get too high or too low. He just plays. He's been very good all year. He's played in the fourth quarter of every game, even when he wasn't starting. He's got a real gift. He's a great passer in the open court and he's just a smart player. You've got to give him rope and let him go because he's got that ability. And because of him, we've really kind of changed and simplified things we've done just to put the ball in his hands. He's been better than I thought he was going to be."
-- Jan. 25
RELATED LINKS
RELATED VIDEOS
Fancy ball fake vs. Kings
No-look dish vs. Kings
Behind-the-back dish
Tricky move burns Hawks
Lob to Johnson vs. Hawks
The Beat: GM David Kahn
3MarShon Brooks : New Jersey Nets
Brooks sticks firm at the No. 3 spot and continues to be one of the most consistent rookie scorers. Brooks remains second only to Irving in scoring (15.4 ppg) and field goal percentage (46.7). The bad news? Brooks was a late scratch Monday in Chicago with a sore Achilles' and the Nets struggled. "I was just trying to run and it just felt real tight in my Achilles and I couldn't really get going," he said. "My only guess would be because of fatigue. It happened once before, the same feeling. In college I played on a sprained ankle, the day after I was going through walkthroughs or whatever and I couldn't even walk through." Brooks should be fine, but if he misses much time, it could hurt his status on the Ladder.
-- Jan. 25
RELATED LINKS
RELATED VIDEOS
Double-double vs. Hawks
Tough reverse vs. Celtics
Put-back jam vs. Pacers
Draft prospect profile
4Kemba Walker : Charlotte Bobcats
Walker is surging, and climbs a spot this week, thanks to his own solid play and in part to a pair of clunkers from Shumpert. With the announcement that D.J. Augustin will miss at least four games with a toe injury, Walker will have a chance to run the show. In his first start at point guard (and sixth overall) Tuesday, Walker led all scorers with 22 points while adding five rebounds and adding two steals and two blocks, but Charlotte was blown out. As a starter, Walker is averaging 15.7 points and has now scored in double-digits in six of his last seven games.
-- Jan. 25
RELATED LINKS
RELATED VIDEOS
Finishes tough and-one
Killer crossover on Knight
Career night beats Warriors
Steals and dishes to D.J.
Rookie Journal: Dec. 29
Fancy layup vs. Magic
5Iman Shumpert : New York Knicks
The Knicks rookie has had a pair of clunkers recently. In a 100-86 loss to the Bucks, Shumpert was 0-for-5 from the field and finished with just four points, his lowest scoring output of his young career. Tuesday night, in the Knicks' 111-78 win against the Bobcats that stopped their six-game slide, Shumpert scored just three points on 1-for-9 shooting. Still, those games were sandwiched around a 20-point game and an 18-point outburst, so it's just the consistency that's lacking. With Walker's recent play, Shumpert drops a run on The Ladder.
-- Jan. 25
RELATED LINKS
RELATED VIDEOS
Around-the-back to 'Melo
Bucket and the foul
Finishes the alley-oop
Arena Link: After win over 'Cats
Alley-oop from Chandler
Steal, slam vs. Bobcats
6Brandon Knight : Detroit Pistons
In a recent interview with Pistons.com, team president Joe Dumars raved about Knight's work ethic. "You pull him aside and talk to him about a weakness, something you have to improve on, you can best believe that the next time you see him on the court, he's either working on it or you can see he's trying to improve on it," Dumars said. "That's the true mark right there. When you talk to a young guy and say here's a shortcoming you have, here's a hole in your game, and you see him put hours and hours into it and see him start to improve on it right away, then you know this kid's got something in him to be great. Because that's all greatness is -- continuing to get better and better and better and never being satisfied.'' In his past five games, Knight is averaging 14.2 points and was key to the Pistons' recent 94-91 win over Portland, scoring 14 points and sparking the key rally.
-- Jan 25
RELATED LINKS
RELATED VIDEOS
Frank praises his effort
All-Access: Knight's first start
Tough shot vs. Cavs
College highlights
Draft night analysis
7Derrick Williams : Minnesota Timberwolves
With the struggles of Jon Leuer and Chandler Parsons, Williams returns to the Ladder after a pair of double-digit scoring games. Williams scored 15 points with eight rebounds in a loss in Utah, then got his first career start at home vs. the Rockets, scoring 11 points with seven rebounds. The start was a fill-in at small forward for Wesley Johnson, who was out with the flu, but the rookie has proven that with the minutes, he produces. Depending on his playing time, Williams could very well find himself right back off the Ladder, but for now I'm rewarding him for a pair of solid performances.
-- Jan. 25
RELATED LINKS
RELATED VIDEOS
The Beat: GM David Kahn
Rubio lobs to Williams
Wolves.com: All-Access
College highlights
Seth Davis on Williams
All-access on Draft night
8Nikola Vucevic : Philadelphia Sixers
With Spencer Hawes nursing a sore back, Vucevic started three straight games and looks comfortable manning the middle for the surging Sixers. After scoring just two points with four rebounds in his first start, the USC product went for eight points and seven rebounds in a win over Atlanta and followed that with 13 points and nine rebounds in a loss in Miami. Vucevic plays hard, shows hustle and looks like he belongs. Unfortunately, he went down with a quad injury in the Miami loss, and is officially listed as day-to-day (he missed the Sixers next game). This spot on the Ladder is more in honor of his recent play and if the injury lingers he will soon find himself on the outs.
-- Jan. 25
RELATED LINKS
9Kawhi Leonard : San Antonio Spurs
Looks like I jinxed Leonard. As soon as I bumped him to No. 7, hyping his recent play, the Spurs rookie has disappeared. After scoring in double-digits in six straight games, Kawhi has scored just 14 points in his last four games, including a goose-egg in just seven minutes in the Spurs' 104-102 win over the Hornets. Coach Gregg Popovich insisted he wasn't sending a message to the rookie, but if Leonard doesn't turn things around soon, he'll fall completely off The Ladder.
-- Jan. 25
RELATED LINKS
Jan 13: After beating Blazers
Big dunk on New Year's Eve
Thoughts on camp
Pre-Draft profile
Draft Instant Analysis
10Markieff Morris : Phoenix Suns
It looks like Kawhi Leonard wasn't the only one I jinxed this week. After giving Morris props last Wednesday, he had a terrible week, scoring just 14 points on 4-for-21 shooting over the past four games. He's another rookie whose grip on The Ladder is tenuous, saved only by his 11 rebounds (a career best) in Monday's 93-87 loss in Dallas. Morris still started Tuesday against Toronto, but was ineffective in just 16 minutes, scoring just four points.
-- Jan. 25

Link: http://www.nba.com/rookie-ladder/

Federal Reserve
01-25-2012, 03:54 PM
Walker was completely shut down by Toney Douglas yesterday. Get him out of the top 5.

Ebbs
01-25-2012, 03:54 PM
Looks rightto me but swap Knight and Shumpert

Nick O
01-25-2012, 04:11 PM
Walker was completely shut down by Toney Douglas yesterday. Get him out of the top 5.

its based on the whole season

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-25-2012, 04:32 PM

:facepalm:

GrapeSoda
01-25-2012, 04:34 PM
has Vucevic been that good? (haven't seen him play a minute) I would swap him and Leonard and I would put Rubio at 1 but that could just be my man crush on him :shrug:

AIMelo=KillaDUO
01-25-2012, 04:53 PM

Shut down? Kemba had 20, 5, 2 and 2 last night.

Iodine
01-25-2012, 04:58 PM
has Vucevic been that good? (haven't seen him play a minute) I would swap him and Leonard and I would put Rubio at 1 but that could just be my man crush on him :shrug:

He averages 5/5 with great range and efficiency, I wouldnt have him that high but he has been a really nice surprise for the sexers

Ill21
01-25-2012, 05:06 PM

Kemba had a beast game. Did you even watch?

nycsports2
01-25-2012, 05:16 PM
big shump lol gonna be a good player

coolmo
01-25-2012, 05:22 PM

does that mean melo is the worst player in NBA? lol

goNYgoNYgo
01-25-2012, 05:28 PM
nah kemba was shut down by tony douglas....after the 1st quarter.

kemba went off in the first quarter 6/6 from the field. but then for the rest of the game he was 1/11.