PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Kevin Love agrees to deal

MetroMan
01-25-2012, 02:49 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7502324/kevin-love-minnesota-timberwolves-reach-four-year-deal-opt-sources-say

do so, Minnesota had to grant Love a player option in the final year of a four-year deal worth in excess of $60 million, sources said.

The deal will be signed Wednesday afternoon, after the Wolves complete their morning shootaround in Dallas, a source said. The teams play Wednesday night.

Love said the contract would be signed by tipoff, The Associated Press reported.

"I like the direction the team is headed," Love said. "I like the youth. I like the pieces, like we're knocking at the door and we're close in a lot of games."

A post on Love's verified Twitter page hinted that the deal was all but complete: "To #twolves fans: I'll be in Minnesota for 4 more years! Excited to see you when I get back to Minneapolis."

Sources close to the process told ESPN.com that Love was determined to have the ability to opt out and become an unrestricted free agent after three seasons, to ensure that he likes the direction of the team. Love is eligible for the same five-year, $80 million extension that the Oklahoma City Thunder awarded guard Russell Westbrook last week.

But the Wolves, sources said, refused all month to budge on their offer and give Love a fifth year, which would have made him Minnesota's "designated player." Based on the NBA's new collective bargaining agreement, every team is allowed to have one "designated player" who receives a five-year maximum extension on his rookie contract.

Because of the Wolves' stance, Love and agent Jeff Schwartz insisted in response that the final year of a four-year deal would be at the All-Star forward's option. That means Love will have the right to become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2015 if the Wolves, who haven't made the playoffs since 2003-04 and are last in the Northwest Division, haven't become a consistent winner yet.

Love did say he wondered if the deal would get gone.

"I was willing to make a commitment for five years. They thought otherwise," he told AP. "I'm glad this is out of the way. It was drawn out until 8 a.m., 9 a.m. this morning."

Love played through illness Monday night against Houston and totaled 39 points and 12 rebounds. He's averaging 24.9 points and 13.9 rebounds through 17 games this season after last year becoming the first player since Moses Malone in 1982-83 to average 20 and 15 for an entire season.

WSU Tony
01-25-2012, 02:58 PM
:dance:

What this means is the Wolves have Barea, Love, Williams, and Rubio together for AT LEAST three years.

:)

Chronz
01-25-2012, 03:02 PM
:dance:

What this means is the Wolves have Barea, Love, Williams, and Rubio together for AT LEAST three years.

:)
Barea?

WSU Tony
01-25-2012, 03:05 PM
He is signed for the next three years, yes. I didn't say anything about his ability....

Hawkeye15
01-25-2012, 03:33 PM
Good. Now the Wolves can concentrate on the season instead of Love's contract.

Raph12
01-25-2012, 03:54 PM
Nice for Wolves fans, but Lebron, Amare, Bosh, CP3, Melo, DWill and Dwight all resigned after their rookie contracts also... Just saying.

Hawkeye15
01-25-2012, 03:58 PM
Nice for Wolves fans, but Lebron, Amare, Bosh, CP3, Melo, DWill and Dwight all resigned after their rookie contracts also... Just saying.

Obviously no Wolves fan should think this guarantees he will be around at age 28, without us making the playoffs in the next year or two, and having a team that looks like it will stay there. But yeah man, its good news for us.

thesparky33
01-25-2012, 04:10 PM
It seems like Love begrudgingly signed it though.

Why the **** didnt we max him out at 5 years? Let's worry about Rubio when the time comes. It's looking like a big possibility that Rubio will be worthy, but its not a certainty...

smith&wesson
01-25-2012, 04:18 PM
the pieces around him are young and are showing promice.

the team is in a good situation. It makes sence for him to resign and see where they can go. with the players and coaching staff they have in place I think they are going to be a playoff team over the next few years.

Birdmannn
01-25-2012, 04:23 PM
I assumed they would have given Love a 5 year.

LAKERMANIA
01-25-2012, 04:27 PM
I'm surprised it's not max, by the end of this new deal if he doesn't get a max you better believe he will use that player option

Evolution23
01-25-2012, 04:30 PM
Khan loves Rubio more than Love. Why didn't he lock up Love for a max deal. Isn't he the best power forward in the NBA? This just shows that Khan isn't 100% sure of Love yet.

ZamboniCub
01-25-2012, 04:38 PM
it is a max deal at 4 years. it shows love wants to stay in minny and wants the team to be able to get better in the future by allowing the 5year max deal to stay open. refreshing to see in a league full of jack ***** like melo and lebron.

RiLoc
01-25-2012, 04:54 PM
Not really surprising. Minnesota would have matched any offer by another team, so it was going to happen one way or another. I'm not clear why Minnesota didn't want a 5 year deal.

howiend
01-25-2012, 05:04 PM
I like how this turned out - keeps the wolves and KLove "honest" as far as both of them improving and doing whatever they can to win. Klove, rubio, and williams around for the next 3 should be very interesting. Dwill is a very competitive hard worker and i think he is going to figure out the sf spot.

Vincent
01-25-2012, 05:07 PM
The fact that it is a Player Option for the 4th year should worry Wolves fans.

Is 3 years enough to turn it around? For Minnesota's sake, hopefully.

jam
01-25-2012, 05:22 PM
I have to give Love the respect after reading this story. It seems like he was directly involved in the negotiations and worked hard to get the deal done as soon as possible.

I have to agree however, that the 4 year deal is tilted in favor of the Wolves. While I agree with Wolves' management that Love is not a #1 player, it does seem as though they could have done a better job of showing their appreciation for him, at some symbolic level with a public statement and/or by building some incentives into his contract, if that's even possible. Perhaps such a statement is forthcoming.

The real question now is, can the Wolves land a #1 option: a top 15 caliber player who can help the Wolves make a serious playoff run?

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7502324/kevin-love-minnesota-timberwolves-reach-four-year-deal-opt-sources-say

do so, Minnesota had to grant Love a player option in the final year of a four-year deal worth in excess of $60 million, sources said.

The deal will be signed Wednesday afternoon, after the Wolves complete their morning shootaround in Dallas, a source said. The teams play Wednesday night.

Love said the contract would be signed by tipoff, The Associated Press reported.

"I like the direction the team is headed," Love said. "I like the youth. I like the pieces, like we're knocking at the door and we're close in a lot of games."

A post on Love's verified Twitter page hinted that the deal was all but complete: "To #twolves fans: I'll be in Minnesota for 4 more years! Excited to see you when I get back to Minneapolis."

Sources close to the process told ESPN.com that Love was determined to have the ability to opt out and become an unrestricted free agent after three seasons, to ensure that he likes the direction of the team. Love is eligible for the same five-year, $80 million extension that the Oklahoma City Thunder awarded guard Russell Westbrook last week.

But the Wolves, sources said, refused all month to budge on their offer and give Love a fifth year, which would have made him Minnesota's "designated player." Based on the NBA's new collective bargaining agreement, every team is allowed to have one "designated player" who receives a five-year maximum extension on his rookie contract.

Because of the Wolves' stance, Love and agent Jeff Schwartz insisted in response that the final year of a four-year deal would be at the All-Star forward's option. That means Love will have the right to become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2015 if the Wolves, who haven't made the playoffs since 2003-04 and are last in the Northwest Division, haven't become a consistent winner yet.

Love did say he wondered if the deal would get gone.

"I was willing to make a commitment for five years. They thought otherwise," he told AP. "I'm glad this is out of the way. It was drawn out until 8 a.m., 9 a.m. this morning."

Love played through illness Monday night against Houston and totaled 39 points and 12 rebounds. He's averaging 24.9 points and 13.9 rebounds through 17 games this season after last year becoming the first player since Moses Malone in 1982-83 to average 20 and 15 for an entire season.

jam
01-25-2012, 05:24 PM
They've already made great strides just a few weeks into this season.

Give MN a chance to make some noise in the free agent market in the next offseason or two.

Love would have every justification for moving on if they are not going to spend enough to make the playoffs on a regular basis after this season.

The fact that it is a Player Option for the 4th year should worry Wolves fans.

Is 3 years enough to turn it around? For Minnesota's sake, hopefully.

tyfreaks brotha
01-25-2012, 05:27 PM
Was hoping somehow the Kings got him in the off-season :( Great signing for the Wolves though obviously

Cal827
01-25-2012, 05:51 PM
So why exactly did they not max him out at 5 years, when he was asking for it? KAHN! lol

Anyways, great resigning. Expected it though, Minny is going in a great direction.

Hope people will stop saying that ALL of these players aren't given their markets a chance before bolting. I think it's fair to expect your franchise to become a decent contender in seven years.