PDA

View Full Version : Report: K-Love and the Wolves Close to 4-yr Max Extension

KB-Pau-DH2012
01-24-2012, 09:53 PM
http://rotoworld.com/player/nba/1504/kevin-love

Kevin Love will reportedly sign a four-year max extension with the Timberwolves on Wednesday.
Give David Kahn some credit here, as keeping Love for the next four years is a huge deal, along with the emergence of Ricky Rubio. The deal is said to be for four years and $62 million, and it will be interesting to see if Love's play is affected at all by the signing. Our guess is he'll be the same stud he's been all season. Jan 24 - 8:44 PM
Source: Ray Richardson on Twitter

UPDATE PER MARC STEIN OF ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7499532/sources-kevin-love-minnesota-timberwolves-continue-work-contract-extension

Despite reports Tuesday night of a contract extension between Kevin Love and the Minnesota Timberwolves, two sources close to the process told ESPN.com's Marc Stein that Love has not agreed to anything and that talks are "ongoing."

No final decision from Love on whether to accept the Wolves' latest offer will be made until Wednesday, sources told Stein.

Love
The St. Paul Pioneer Press reported the two sides had agreed to a four-year, $62 million extension.

The report, citing a person close to the situation, said Love was expected to sign the deal Wednesday afternoon in Dallas.

Love's options, to this point, have been accepting a four-year deal from Minnesota or declining the offer and becoming a restricted free agent in July, with Minnesota then able to match any offer sheet Love would receive in free agency. To reach unrestricted free agency, Love would have to be willing to play out the 2012-13 season on a one-year qualifying offer worth just $6 million.

Love is currently eligible for the same five-year extension worth nearly $80 million that Russell Westbrook received last week from the Oklahoma City Thunder, but the Wolves have to this point in negotiations been unwilling to make Love their "designated player" and offer him a five-year max contract, maintaining that they want to keep as much future flexibility as possible as they continue to rebuild their team.

Based on the NBA's new collective bargaining agreement, every NBA team can have one "designated player" on its books whose rookie contract has been extended for five years.

The deadline for a deal is midnight Wednesday.

Asked last week by the Minneapolis Star Tribune if he could imagine not finalizing an extension before the deadline, Love said: "It wouldn't be ideal. So it would be nice to work something out. I enjoy it here, I enjoy my teammates, I enjoy the coaching staff, I enjoy the Twin Cities, even when it's cold.

"I figure if I keep playing my game, playing hard-nosed basketball, playing the way I'm supposed to play, everything will take care of itself."

Love played through illness Monday night against Houston and totaled 39 points and 12 rebounds. He's averaging 24.9 points and a 13.9 rebounds this season after last season becoming the first player since Moses Malone in 1982-83 to average 20 and 15 for an entire season.

ManRam
01-24-2012, 09:57 PM
:clap:

ALways said it wouldn't be the first contract that he'd bail, it will be the second ;)

Just like everyone else...

valade16
01-24-2012, 09:57 PM
Is he a legitimate Number 1 option or a true max player? I don't know, however Minny had to keep him, the only other option was contraction.

ChiSox219
01-24-2012, 10:02 PM
Who wanted four years Love or Minnesota?

numba1CHANGsta
01-24-2012, 10:03 PM
the best PF in the game!

jpagemn
01-24-2012, 10:07 PM
Minnesota Timberwolves All-Star forward Kevin Love has agreed to a four-year, $62 million contract extension and is expected to sign the new deal Wednesday afternoon in Dallas, a person close to the situation told the Pioneer Press.

Love, 23, and the Wolves are in Dallas to play the defending NBA champion Mavericks on Wednesday night.

Love, who is earning $4.6 million this season, needs to sign an extension before 11 p.m. Wednesday, or he will become a restricted free agent after the season.

Love, the No. 5 overall pick in 2008, is averaging 24.9 points and 13.9 rebounds and leads the league with 16 double-doubles. He was voted the NBA's most improved player last season and is one of 20 finalists for USA Basketball's 2012 Olympics team.

that was from Ray Richardson's twitter feed (hes a twolves beatwriter)

DR_1
01-24-2012, 10:08 PM
Who wanted four years Love or Minnesota?

Minny

seikou8
01-24-2012, 10:13 PM
the best PF in the game!

:clap: this

Avenged
01-24-2012, 10:14 PM
Top 3 PF in the game with the chance to be #1. Not bad at all. Expecting big things from him and Rubio.

ZamboniCub
01-24-2012, 10:24 PM
future looks bright in minny. this is good news. it was gonna get done 4 or 5 years either way. rubio made loves choice to stay easier.

ManRam
01-24-2012, 10:30 PM
Kevin is denying it himself right now...

Hold the horses I guess.

Hellcrooner
01-24-2012, 10:35 PM
good.....now they need to make some moves to fill the 2, 3 and 5 starting spots.

a bench of barea, ellingotn, webster, tolliver and milicic is quite good but they need to turn : lee, ridnour, beasley, randolph, pekovic and Williams( i dont really see him transitioning well to the sf spot nor can they play so undersized with him at the pf and love at c + is their best trade asset) into three starters via trade and one of them has to be a good scorer.

waveycrockett
01-24-2012, 10:39 PM
good.....now they need to make some moves to fill the 2, 3 and 5 starting spots.

a bench of barea, ellingotn, webster, tolliver and milicic is quite good but they need to turn : lee, ridnour, beasley, randolph, pekovic and Williams( i dont really see him transitioning well to the sf spot nor can they play so undersized with him at the pf and love at c + is their best trade asset) into three starters via trade and one of them has to be a good scorer.

Your bugging. Williams has shown some nice flashes this season. He is going to be a beast. It's not like Kevin Love was a beast right out of the gate either.

Hellcrooner
01-24-2012, 10:43 PM
Your bugging. Williams has shown some nice flashes this season. He is going to be a beast. It's not like Kevin Love was a beast right out of the gate either.

Im not doubting his skill.
What i say is its doubtfull he will develop into an effective Small Forward and that having Love to play Pf he is the BEST asset they ahve in order to make a trade for a third star who plays either Sg or Sf or Center.

HouRealCoach
01-24-2012, 10:45 PM
Wolves with Adelman, Rubio, Love, & Dwill.. #Winning

jpagemn
01-24-2012, 10:48 PM
crooner, I see what you are saying. I am not sure how he pans out at SF, either, and if a trade came along that gave us a natural 2 or 3 i think we would have to take it.

Hellcrooner
01-24-2012, 10:53 PM
crooner, I see what you are saying. I am not sure how he pans out at SF, either, and if a trade came along that gave us a natural 2 or 3 i think we would have to take it.

I would very seriously consider a call to Lakers front office.

Since resigning Love eliminates the posibility of wolves offering any decent amount to a good FA their best shot at getting a star is via trade.

As i said i would actively call Lakers Fo and have a talk bout a package around Williams and ridnour for Pau.

Would also call boston asking bout Pierce.

John Walls Era
01-24-2012, 10:56 PM
I would very seriously consider a call to Lakers front office.

Since resigning Love eliminates the posibility of wolves offering any decent amount to a good FA their best shot at getting a star is via trade.

As i said i would actively call Lakers Fo and have a talk bout a package around Williams and ridnour for Pau.

Would also call boston asking bout Pierce.

How will Gasol help them in the long run?

Hellcrooner
01-24-2012, 10:58 PM
How will Gasol help them in the long run?

It would help them this year and the next two , then become a MASSIVE expiring that can bring them Several pieces.

LA_Raiders
01-24-2012, 11:42 PM
The best PF, not bad....

DerekRE_3
01-25-2012, 12:40 AM
the best PF in the game!

Shooting 43%. Love is great, but he's gotten a pass from a lot of people on that shooting percentage this year.

jam
01-25-2012, 12:54 AM
Shooting 43%. Love is great, but he's gotten a pass from a lot of people on that shooting percentage this year.

That figure is unacceptable for a PF.

I would be very surprised if he accepted a 4 year deal at this point. He sees himself as a max salary player on a team with a trio of superstars.

Gram
01-25-2012, 01:04 AM
Kevin Love.

Hellcrooner
01-25-2012, 01:07 AM
well thats a fake 43% i mean, he shoots a lot of 3p shots.

if you measure his fg % when playing inside its much better.

Sota4Ever
01-25-2012, 01:08 AM
He is also a pf that shoots 3's and mid range so his shooting percentage will be a little lower then everyone else. Also he has played the most minutes per game and is probably a little fatigued.

jam
01-25-2012, 02:22 AM
It's not fake, the statistic is calculated in the same way for every player in the NBA.

Of course his FG % will be higher right at the basket than from 25 feet out.

Evolution23
01-25-2012, 07:17 AM
Wolves with Adelman, Rubio, Love, & Dwill.. #Winning

when did dwill join the wolves?

OmahaDro
01-25-2012, 10:03 AM
when did dwill join the wolves?

When he got drafted #2. (Derrick Williams)

DerekRE_3
01-25-2012, 10:41 AM

His fg% on interior shots is still below average for the position.

SportsAndrew25
01-25-2012, 10:47 AM
Smartest move by the Timberwolves since the stone age.

WSU Tony
01-25-2012, 11:01 AM
Love takes just under 1/3 of his shots beyond the three point line and hits 40% of them. If he refused to shoot the three ball his shooting percentage would increase.

Shouldn't hitting 40% from three be a good thing? Instead, all of you see his FG% go down a bit so you rip him on it.

Hell, if he didn't shoot the three you'd rip him for that, too.

DerekRE_3
01-25-2012, 11:43 AM
Love takes just under 1/3 of his shots beyond the three point line and hits 40% of them. If he refused to shoot the three ball his shooting percentage would increase.

Shouldn't hitting 40% from three be a good thing? Instead, all of you see his FG% go down a bit so you rip him on it.

Hell, if he didn't shoot the three you'd rip him for that, too.

So saying "he's great, but the fg% is too low" is ripping him? Look at his at rim fg%, it's below average for a big man. And there are a lot of guards who shoot a lot of threes and shoot a better percentage than Love does.

WSU Tony
01-25-2012, 11:52 AM
Guards SHOULD be shooting threes well, PFs should not be shooting threes well.

Nobody said Love is the perfect well rounded player. He's not a superstar but I feel he's on the verge of becoming a top 10-15 player in this league and a top 2-3 PF in this league. Minnesota will NEVER sign a max contract player out of FA, the only thing we can hope to do is lock up our "nearly" eligible PF to a max deal or close to it.

The Wolves have no choice, really.

All I know is if Love signs this deal I get to see Love, Williams, and Rubio together for the next 3+ years. That excites me.

DerekRE_3
01-25-2012, 11:55 AM
Guards SHOULD be shooting threes well, PFs should not be shooting threes well.

Nobody said Love is the perfect well rounded player. He's not a superstar but I feel he's on the verge of becoming a top 10-15 player in this league and a top 2-3 PF in this league. Minnesota will NEVER sign a max contract player out of FA, the only thing we can hope to do is lock up our "nearly" eligible PF to a max deal or close to it.

The Wolves have no choice, really.

All I know is if Love signs this deal I get to see Love, Williams, and Rubio together for the next 3+ years. That excites me.

Again, I never said he wouldn't be worth the money or wouldnt improve that part of his game, just that a lot of people have ignored that flaw when calling him the best PF in the game.

MrfadeawayJB
01-25-2012, 12:51 PM
Good for them. I'm curious to see what they put around him and if he will stay for his full contract

KB-Pau-DH2012
01-25-2012, 01:18 PM
UPDATED: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7502324/kevin-love-no-longer-wants-fifth-year-minnesota-timberwolves-sources-say

Kevin Love is no longer seeking a fifth year to a contract extension he is seeking from the Minnesota Timberwolves, according to league sources. Instead, Love is seeking a four-year deal with an opt-out clause for the final season.

The two sides continued to negotiate into Wednesday afternoon, but Love's new stance would seem to indicate that an extension will be signed before Wednesday's midnight ET deadline.

The four-year deal will be a maximum contract worth between $62 million and $64 million, depending at what number the salary cap is set. On Tuesday night, the St. Paul Pioneer Press reported that Love and the Wolves had agreed to a four-year, $62 million deal.

Love initially wanted a five-year extension worth about $80 million, but the Wolves, looking to maintain financial flexibility for the future, insisted on a four-year deal.

Eventually, according to sources, Love decided that four years with an opt-out was the way to go since it would give him more options should the Wolves, who haven't made the playoffs since 2004, continue to struggle.

Under the NBA's new collective bargaining rules, teams are allowed to offer a five-year extension to just one "designated" player. Minnesota wants to keep that option available and thus, was reluctant to give Love the fifth year.

The 23-year-old Love is one of the league's brightest young stars, averaging 24.9 points and 13.9 rebounds per game through 17 games for last-place Minnesota.

Chris Broussard is a senior NBA writer for ESPN The Magazine.

Follow Chris Broussard on Twitter: @chris_broussard

http://rotoworld.com/sports/nba/basketball

Marc Stein and Chris Broussard of ESPN report that Kevin Love will sign a contract extension with the Timberwolves on Wednesday.
Love's camp was insistent that he got an opt-out clause after year three of the deal considering the team's refusal to give him a fifth year, and it sounds like they have found a middle ground. It was previously reported that the four-year deal would be worth $62 million.