PDA

View Full Version : 33 Years Young: Kobe, Mike, and the Next Generation

shep33
01-24-2012, 06:45 PM
First off even as a Laker fan, without question MJ (not Mike James lol) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Kobe Bryant. Let's get that out of the way.

However, i was pretty shocked to see how Kobe and MJ's numbers are so similar at age 33. I think Kobe's numbers are gonna drop due to wear and tear, but he's been pretty impressive so far.

MJ at 33- 29.6 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 4.3 apg on about 49% shooting shooting.

Kobe at 33 (so far this season)- 30.5 ppg, 5.6 apg, 5.7 rpg, at around 46% shooting

That's pretty impressive for two old bastards lol...

But here's my question... Out of the younger stars today, who do you think will put up the best numbers at age 33? This is the age where a lot of guys start to really decline due to significant loss in athletecism.

Any predictions on some of the player's stat lines at 33?

Let's not make this a hate thread... I know that's asking a lot on PSD.

latinofire21
01-24-2012, 06:48 PM
Melooooooo

mRc08
01-24-2012, 06:51 PM
I would have to say lebron. He is large, but very proportional, and has never really had any major injuries to his legs that could come back to get him in later years.

Durant could easily be there, especially as he gets older and refines his game. His height could come into play with age as he begins to post up more but we'll have to see.

I feel rose might be a little undersized to hold up driving to the lane as much. plus he is a player that relies heavily on his athleticism which is the first thing to go with age. I hope its him obviously, but i just don't think so.

Overall, lebron. He is big, and with age he will also be able to dominate down low. I choose him over durant because he is much stronger already and will only continue to become strong the more his speed/agility decline.

Celtics33
01-24-2012, 06:51 PM
I'd have to pick either LeBron or Durant.

shep33
01-24-2012, 06:53 PM
I think most are gonna pick LBJ or Durant, which is pretty fair. Lebron is just a physical specimen, and Durant seems to have the style of play that can improve with age, kinda like Dirk.

JNA17
01-24-2012, 06:58 PM
People that pick Lebron are in for a huge disappointment.

Dramedy
01-24-2012, 07:04 PM
I don't really think LeBron's gonna age well. He's not like Kobe. It's become almost a cliche at this point, but Kobe is just so crafty, he can beat you in so many different ways. LeBron just isn't. What is he gonna do when his body starts to break down? He'll still be a great player, but the biggest thing he has going for him now is that he's an absolute physical freak, that won't last forever, and unless he improves his jump shot and post game he's looking at a pretty sharp decline. If health weren't an issue I'd probably say Wade or CP3, just because neither of their games are based on solely on athleticism, they're both very smart players, but both have big health question marks. I don't know if I trust either of those guys to be themselves at 33. Dwight would be next on the list for the simple fact that there are no other players at his position even remotely in his stratosphere. But he's a big man, and big men don't age well, once they decline they fall off a cliff. In addition, he came in at 18 so when he's 33 that'll be his 15th NBA season, and given the playoff runs he's made and is likely to keep making his body will likely have a TON of minutes on the odometer. With those guys out of the picture I'd say there are two really big choices. One of them is Durant. His range is gonna allow him to keep scoring into his 30's (a la Ray Allen), and even though he'll lose some quickness with age, I honestly don't think we've seen his best yet, I think he's gonna put on weight in the next few years which should allow him to develop some semblance of a post game, giving him another option to score with. The other one is Kevin Love. Very few big men have his range, and the few who do (Dirk being the only star I can think of in the modern era) tend to age pretty well. In addition, his rebounding won't fall off because he's not an athleticism rebounder, he's a technique rebounder, which is only gonna improve with experience. This is also gonna give him plenty of opportunities for garbage points. Finally, if he stays in Minnesota, Ricky Rubio is the type of point guard you wanna grow old with. So in short, my answers are Durant and Love.

Bishnoff
01-24-2012, 07:08 PM
LeBron. The guy is a freak when it comes to Pts/Reb/Asts numbers.

LeBron will also reach the age of 33 four years earlier than Durant, thus next best 33 year old. From that list, Wade is the only player older than LeBron but I can't see his body holding up that long.

SereneAgression
01-24-2012, 07:15 PM
Durant, a 6'9/10 wing player, deadliest weapon is his jump shot which will likely only get better with age.

If it's only about numbers, then it's likely LeBron will probably be closer to those two than Durant. His rebounding and passing ability have little to do with his athleticism and even though his jumper could still use work I still believe it'll be deemed "good enough" when he's in his 30's. Durant isn't exactly a consistent rebounder or passer. But I do think Durants game will change the least and he'll put up the numbers he does now well into his 30's.

All of this could change though considering everyone on that list with the exception of Wade is a younger and developing talent and there games can adjust very much by the time they are 33...

Edit***

I voted Durant on the poll if that wasn't clear btw...

JordansBulls
01-24-2012, 07:16 PM
First off even as a Laker fan, without question MJ (not Mike James lol) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Kobe Bryant. Let's get that out of the way.

However, i was pretty shocked to see how Kobe and MJ's numbers are so similar at age 33. I think Kobe's numbers are gonna drop due to wear and tear, but he's been pretty impressive so far.

MJ at 33- 29.6 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 4.3 apg on about 49% shooting shooting.

Kobe at 33 (so far this season)- 30.5 ppg, 5.6 apg, 5.7 rpg, at around 46% shooting

That's pretty impressive for two old bastards lol...

But here's my question... Out of the younger stars today, who do you think will put up the best numbers at age 33? This is the age where a lot of guys start to really decline due to significant loss in athletecism.

Any predictions on some of the player's stat lines at 33?

Let's not make this a hate thread... I know that's asking a lot on PSD.

Just wanted to point out that MJ was 34 for the season of the numbers you listed.:)

beasted86
01-24-2012, 07:23 PM
Just wanted to point out that MJ was 34 for the season of the numbers you listed.:)

Yeah, Jordan was 33 and turned 34 in February.

Kobe will be 33 this whole season.

GrapeSoda
01-24-2012, 07:37 PM
since Greg Oden isn't an option I guess I can settle for Durant

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-24-2012, 07:40 PM
durant easily, he would just shoot over the people at 33

shep33
Yeah, Jordan was 33 and turned 34 in February.

Kobe will be 33 this whole season.

Ah thanks for the find. Essentially age is the closest can be in my comparison. Kobe also hasa lot more miles than mj had at that point too. So I think its fairest thing I could come up with

beasted86
since Greg Oden isn't an option I guess I can settle for Durant

We already saw Greg Oden at 33yrs old.... not impressed.

smith&wesson
01-24-2012, 07:42 PM
im gonna go with rose.

lebrons game relies alot on athleticism

BALLER R
01-24-2012, 07:48 PM
im gonna go with rose.

lebrons game relies alot on atheticism

Thank you so much people are blind to this that's why i can't see him being that great when he hits that 33 age range. Finesse is what helps you in the nba when you start to age.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-24-2012, 07:54 PM
im gonna go with rose.

lebrons game relies alot on atheticism

cough coucgh

KnicksR4Real
01-24-2012, 07:59 PM
Durant

ArmLaker
01-24-2012, 08:17 PM

This.......People are in for a huge surprise in a few years from now

smith&wesson
01-24-2012, 08:19 PM
cough coucgh

ya maybe ill go with durant instead.

but rose is young and has already improved every year he has been in the league. those are the type of players that are able to tranform their game once they lose their athletic ability. thats why i went with rose. but the more i think about it, his game relies alot on athletic ability right now too.

ill go with durant

CHANGO
01-24-2012, 08:24 PM
im gonna go with rose.

:laugh:

A little ironic. Don't you think?

This season Lebron has shown he can score in other ways that don't require much athleticism. Working on the post and his jumpshot every year gets better. He isn't the same CleveLebron.

--23--
01-24-2012, 08:52 PM
I'll go with Durant his style of play seems like it will improve better with age.

mustaine
01-24-2012, 09:04 PM

Doesn't really matter, MJ was on a far superior team at that point anyway. He could have scored more but really didn't have to. Not taking anything from Kobe though, he is playing great.

Anyway, I picked Durant simply because of that jump shot of his. It'll get him a high number of points for a long time. At a young age it's his best weapon, it will only get more lethal further down the line.

I'm no fan of LeBron but he'll be very good as well, he'll slow down a fair bit and won't be driving to the hoop at will but he's a smart player. His jumper when going left is pretty much automatic and that alone will get him a high number of points. Look for him to post up more as he gets older, he'll be heavier and probably stronger and could possibly even play the PF position later on (if he can perfect his post-game, he'll be a real danger down there). His passing ability will get him assists and his strength will get him rebounds as well.

Bruno
01-24-2012, 09:11 PM

shepp listed the numbers for '96-'97.

basketball reference lists Jordan as 33 for that season. he turned halfway. MJ played over half of the 96-97 regular season as a 33 year old, which is way basketball reference lists him as 33.

smith&wesson
01-24-2012, 09:15 PM
:laugh:

A little ironic. Don't you think?

This season Lebron has shown he can score in other ways that don't require much athleticism. Working on the post and his jumpshot every year gets better. He isn't the same CleveLebron.

the difference is lebron has been in the league for years where as rose improved in that area jurastically after 2 seasons

lebron doesnt have too many flaws in his game grant it but it took him way to long to adress the ones he did have. even now i dont look at him as a lights out shooter 7-8 years later in the league.. but if thats really one of his only flaws then why hasnt it dramatically improved after soo many years

i dont see lebrons jumpshot or fade away as being clutch enough to carry him once he loses his speed & vertacle he wont be able to just fly, jump over, or simply power his way to the basket any more. perhaps the same could be said about rose. but lebron has been in the league about 5 longer

topdog
01-24-2012, 09:17 PM
Durant relies the least on athleticism while being towards the top of the league in scoring. His drive to succeed and the natural advantage of his height paired with that jumper will lead to productive longevity.

topdog
01-24-2012, 09:22 PM
the difference is lebron has been in the league for years where as rose improved in that area jurastically after 2 seasons

lebron doesnt have too many flaws in his game grant it but it took him way to long to adress the ones he did have. even now i dont look at him as a lights out shooter 7-8 years later in the league.. but if thats really one of his only flaws then why hasnt it dramatically improved after soo many years,

I would love for you to go all Sarah Palin on us and create your own word, but it drastically. Just like people here continually write, "I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less."

Anyway, I think it's a valid point that Lebron has not shown any dramatic improvement in any area. That's not to say he hasn't gotten better but some of these other guys have had to "make the leap." People saying he will suddenly develop other skills when he starts to need them are reaching.

bucketss
01-24-2012, 09:25 PM
ya maybe ill go with durant instead.

but rose is young and has already improved every year he has been in the league. those are the type of players that are able to tranform their game once they lose their athletic ability. thats why i went with rose. but the more i think about it, his game relies alot on athletic ability right now too.

ill go with durant

i think it would be worse for rose, atleast lebron will stilll have size without ath.

bovice163
01-24-2012, 09:37 PM
I'm gonna say Durant, LeBron, then Rose. Durant has the length to shoot over pretty much anyone, and if he develops his post game he'll be lethal throughout his whole career. LeBron is definitely improved down low, and when his athleticism begins to decline, I have a feeling he's going to bang down low pretty well. Rose is 3rd because he hasn't shown us his post game up till now, and he isn't nearly as good a shooter as Durant to be lethal throughout his whole career. The one thing separating him from Durant and LeBron, will be his passing abilities. If he continues to improve in the aspects I mentioned though, he can easily be on Durant's level at that age.

LAKERMANIA
01-24-2012, 09:43 PM
Durant then Wade

KobeOwnSU
01-24-2012, 09:50 PM
Metta!!!!....Really though, it has to be Durant because he has a sick jumper and as you age that is the last thing to go. Unfortuantely for Rose and LeBron the rely on dribble penetration to create space to get off their horrid jump shots. That space wont be there when they cant drive the ball as effectively at 33.

giants73756
01-24-2012, 09:57 PM
Why is Wade an option :laugh:

Raps18-19 Champ
01-24-2012, 10:19 PM
MJ is not>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Kobe Bryant.

DaLakerz Rulz
01-24-2012, 10:35 PM
MJ is not>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Kobe Bryant.

Okay fine. MJ >>> Kobe. Please lets not start this talk here again. This is not what the thread was made for....

Bruno
01-24-2012, 10:43 PM
to answer the question, durant.

despite lebrons IQ, 260+ pounds on a 6'8 frame isn't likely to age well. ask artest how those knees are feeling right about now.

JNA17
01-24-2012, 10:58 PM
to answer the question, durant.

despite lebrons IQ, 260+ pounds on a 6'8 frame isn't likely to age well. ask artest how those knees are feeling right about now.

Ask baron Davis how his weight is treating him, or any of the bigmen like shaq.

If anybody actually thinks Lebron will still be the tank driving down the live player he is currently when he reaches 30+, then your in way over your head.

As for him improving on his low post game, that's a different story. He still hasn't really improved his jumpsuit enough to even force other players to be play tight ball on him. The time he fully develops a low post game will be too late imo.

MTar786
01-24-2012, 11:44 PM

this

AIRMAR72
01-25-2012, 12:08 AM
its BRON the man is built to last

airforceones25
01-25-2012, 12:33 AM
im gonna go with rose.

i laughed so hard.:laugh:

Gram
01-25-2012, 01:12 AM
Derrick Rose because he's the best player in the NBA.

MTar786
01-25-2012, 01:15 AM
wade will be broken down in 2 years from now. infact he already is breaking down. lebrons last really good year will be the season he turns 31.. and then he will start missing lots of games due to injury and he just wont be the same offensively. lebron has a better jumper than i ever expected.. so he will still be good. The nice thing about lebron is that when he is 31 he can transform himself to a replica of magic.. he can become a pg that is pass first and score later. i think when lebron is 32 he will be an injury prone 16-8-9 guy.. which is still good. But kevin durant will still be dropping 24+ by 33.. so i think KD gets my vote.

theheatles
01-25-2012, 02:55 AM
Ask baron Davis how his weight is treating him, or any of the bigmen like shaq.

If anybody actually thinks Lebron will still be the tank driving down the live player he is currently when he reaches 30+, then your in way over your head.

As for him improving on his low post game, that's a different story. He still hasn't really improved his jumpsuit enough to even force other players to be play tight ball on him. The time he fully develops a low post game will be too late imo.

Here you go again spouting off nonsense...LeBron already has 1 of the best jumpers in the league and it's only going to get better...LeBron takes better care of himself than any NBA superstar, probably ever and he never has to work himself back into shape because he is in immaculate condition all year round

get rid of your skip bayless shrine out of your closest and get your head out of your arse

BigBongTheory
01-25-2012, 03:22 AM
Durant, and it's an easy pick. lebron depends on driving to the bucket, that's why his field goal percentage is like it is, he isn't going to be driving to the bucket like he is now at 33 years old, kobe depended on driving to the bucket as well as a jumpshooter, kobe hasn't done near as much driving as he used to in recent years because it's too much on the body obviously. durant on the other hand is primarily known as a jump shooter and it's what he is best at. Durant as long as he doesn't forget how to shoot, has more chance at being very successful at 33 then anyone else on the list. Kobe is just a man beast obviously, with what he's still able to do at 33, his 16th year in the nba. it's overlooked mostly and just incredible, most guys drop off well before 33. it's like :offtopic: tomlinson holding up the chagers for a decade when the average career span for a running back is like 3 years. nflpa has it listed 2.57 years :offtopic:

Saad
01-25-2012, 03:38 AM
I'm gonna say Durant, but I wouldn't be surprised about Lebron being the best. Durant already has the qualities he needs to last until 33 at an elite level. As much people are saying that without athleticism that LeBron is going to fall off, he still has 6-7 more years to develop a better post game, jump shot, etc. A player with his work ethic wont let himself fall off like that. His jumper is a lot improved than it used to be and the fact that many people forget about his insane passing ability which I doubt will fall off with age, if not get better, he has a chance to still be a BEAST, just in a different way.

NYKalltheway
01-25-2012, 10:29 AM
Wade's like 30 already...

ManningToTyree
01-25-2012, 11:03 AM
Durant. He is the least dependent on athleticism of the players listed.

naps
01-25-2012, 11:09 AM
wade will be broken down in 2 years from now. infact he already is breaking down. lebrons last really good year will be the season he turns 31.. and then he will start missing lots of games due to injury and he just wont be the same offensively. lebron has a better jumper than i ever expected.. so he will still be good. The nice thing about lebron is that when he is 31 he can transform himself to a replica of magic.. he can become a pg that is pass first and score later. i think when lebron is 32 he will be an injury prone 16-8-9 guy.. which is still good. But kevin durant will still be dropping 24+ by 33.. so i think KD gets my vote.

Wade is breaking down? You know ankle sprain could happen to the healthiest player in the league, right? Overreaction.

And you are talking about LeBron as if he's an injury prone player when in reality he is one of the healthiest players the league has ever seen. I actually think by age 31 LeBron will at the peak of his career and put up even more godly numbers.

basketfan4life
01-25-2012, 11:26 AM
I actually think by age 31 LeBron will at the peak of his career and put up even more godly numbers.

Continue living in your little world, there is where you are happy. This real world is rough dude.

JordansBulls
01-25-2012, 12:59 PM
shepp listed the numbers for '96-'97.

basketball reference lists Jordan as 33 for that season. he turned halfway. MJ played over half of the 96-97 regular season as a 33 year old, which is way basketball reference lists him as 33.

Not sure why it is that way

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/o/olajuha01.html

Hakeem turned 34 on Jan 31, 1997 and bball reference lists him as 34 for the season and not 33.