PDA

View Full Version : Luol Deng w/ torn ligament in left hand

KB-Pau-DH2012
01-24-2012, 04:18 PM
http://rotoworld.com/player/nba/1047/luol-deng

Luol Deng has a torn ligament in his left hand.
Deng will be out a couple of weeks at the least and his plan is to avoid surgery and try to play through pain. Bulls head coach Tom Thibodeau has called Deng "week-to-week." This throws a major damper in the Bulls' title hopes and his fantasy owners don't have much recourse but to wait it out. Ronnie Brewer is expected to start for as long as Deng is out and could be a solid short-term pickup for Deng owners. Jan 24 - 2:55 PM
Source: K.C. Johnson on Twitter

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/story/_/id/7498176/chicago-bulls-luol-deng-torn-ligament-wrist

DEERFIELD, Ill. -- Chicago Bulls forward Luol Deng has a torn ligament in his left wrist and will be "out for a while," according to coach Tom Thibodeau.

"I know it's a bad injury, and it sounds terrible, but I'll be fine," Deng said.

Thibodeau said no surgery is planned, but it's still an option. The coach described him as "week to week."

Deng injured his wrist in the fourth quarter of the Bulls' win over the Charlotte Bobcats on Saturday night.

Deng, who is averaging 15.9 points and 7.5 rebounds for the league-leading Bulls, sat out Monday's win over the New Jersey Nets.

"He feels good about what the prognosis is," Thibodeau said.

It's the same injury -- except in the opposite wrist -- Deng suffered as a rookie in 2004-05, when he played 61 games and underwent surgery.

Evolution23
01-24-2012, 04:19 PM
Big loss for the Bulls. Deng is the Bulls most solid player.

IVE GOT WOOD
01-24-2012, 04:26 PM
Damn this sucks hopefully Thibs will give Butler some minutes now I really like the kid.

justinnum1
01-24-2012, 04:27 PM
Huge blow, he is their glue guy, hope he's 100% for the playoffs.

lakerboy
01-24-2012, 04:28 PM
Play through it! Kobe did :)

Celtics33
01-24-2012, 04:28 PM
This isn't good for the bulls.

KB-Pau-DH2012
01-24-2012, 04:29 PM
Huge blow, he is their glue guy, hope he's 100% for the playoffs.

If he gets the surgery now, then maybe he will, but it looks like he won't (just like Kobe). Both guys will be playing through the pain and won't be 100% going into the playoffs unfortunately.

JordansBulls
01-24-2012, 04:30 PM
We are fine actually, we can afford to have a guy or two out here and there, just can't have two starters out for an extended time unless it is against bad teams.

KB-Pau-DH2012
01-24-2012, 04:31 PM

Exactly, and that's Kobe's shooting hand. I don't know if Deng is left-handed or not.

theheatles
01-24-2012, 04:32 PM
he should be able to play through it, it's his left wrist afterall, he better be ready sunday

Slug3
01-24-2012, 04:33 PM
Yeah is Deng left or right handed? I am sure he is going to come back and play through the pain, we will just see how it affects him.

mRc08
01-24-2012, 04:36 PM
[/B]
Yeah is Deng left or right handed? I am sure he is going to come back and play through the pain, we will just see how it affects him.

Right

Hope it doesn't effect his game too much we'll have to see how he performs when he gets back on the court

Dramedy
01-24-2012, 04:37 PM
This might be a blessing in disguise for the Bulls. Given the insane minutes he plays and the shortened season Deng was likely to be completely burned out by the time the playoffs came around, now he has a few weeks to rest his legs, and I'm guessing he won't play 40 minutes his first few games back. Considering the injury problems facing Miami and the fact that they already have a small cushion they could definitely sustain their lead and keep home court for the ECF. You obviously never want players to get hurt, but this could turn out to be helpful in the long run if he gets back to 100%

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-24-2012, 04:42 PM
nah, bulls are fine even without him, and he'll be fine when playoffs are starting.

chris34
01-24-2012, 04:44 PM
^^^^^^

this

northsider
01-24-2012, 04:45 PM
he should be able to play through it, it's his left wrist afterall, he better be ready sunday

I am sure Sunday is the least of his worries. I could give a **** about this up coming Heat game as I would much rather him be healthy for the playoffs.

theheatles
01-24-2012, 05:14 PM
I am sure Sunday is the least of his worries. I could give a **** about this up coming Heat game as I would much rather him be healthy for the playoffs.

I'm sure he'd like to play to try and avenge the ecf but in the long run he'd be better off resting, just like d wade is better off resting as much as he can

ChiSox219
01-24-2012, 05:24 PM
Jimmy Butler gonna get that ROY

northsider
01-24-2012, 05:32 PM
I'm sure he'd like to play to try and avenge the ecf but in the long run he'd be better off resting, just like d wade is better off resting as much as he can

Regular season revenge means nothing compared to knowing you have a shot too match up in the ECF again.

Lim
01-24-2012, 05:33 PM
should some of the blame go on the coach? 38 min per game in a lockout season seems absurdly high.

also kobe is going to put indirect pressure on deng to play through the pain, otherwise he will be viewed as a ***** lmfao.

Gritz
01-24-2012, 05:36 PM
I'm sure he will be fine

flclfanman
01-24-2012, 05:38 PM
I hope they treat Deng like Rose's injury. Give him whatever it takes to get better. I don't them to put a band-aid on it and make a lingering injury. I have a ton of confidence in the Bench mob (even JL3 and the other MJ !). Plus I waiting to see what jimmy butler can do for us.

TL;DR Rest Deng and start Rip/Brewer/Korver/Butler in his place (LOOK at that Depth! :drool:)

Badluck33
01-24-2012, 05:44 PM
Luol Deng quit on the Bulls.

ChicagoJ
01-24-2012, 05:48 PM
Deng is one of the most important players on the Bulls, but because of the teams depth they should be ok during the regular season. They may not win games like they have been since he's not playing, but they will still be a very good team. However, they will need him for the playoffs. No doubt about it.

Raph12
01-24-2012, 06:01 PM
I'd say do the surgery, be ready for the playoffs, no way they don't make it there without him.

effen5
01-24-2012, 06:02 PM
Hes faking the injury
He doesn't want to get traded.

CubZwin38
01-24-2012, 06:07 PM
Big loss for the Bulls. Deng is the Bulls most solid player.

After Rose of course...unless you just have half a brain.

tbone2171
01-24-2012, 06:15 PM
It's alright, they got Scalabrine and Mike James

CubZwin38
01-24-2012, 06:17 PM
Some people just don't think before they speak or type. Saying Deng should be playing because Bryant is playing with a torn ligament is dumb. Bryant didn't tear it and start playing right away. Deng just tore his wrist. Bryant missed the next preseason game because obviously it didn't matter. Deng will probably miss several games because it's not really going to matter because the Bulls will get into the playoffs even if Deng misses a month. The Lakers needs Kobe now more than they ever did. Bryant's career is coming to a close likely. The Bulls can survive the season(but not the playoffs) without Deng. No point in jeopardizing Deng's career and the playoff run by having Deng out there now.

Federal Reserve
01-24-2012, 07:01 PM
A torn ligament is nothing. I had the same injury and I was still able to work out on my regular schedule. Not to mention that it's not even his primary hand.

JNA17
01-24-2012, 07:05 PM
Interesting, when Kobe gets injured like this, he plays through it anyway, but for any other player though, there out for a couple of weeks or months even.

justinnum1
01-24-2012, 07:06 PM
kcjhoop
FWIW, Deng told 2 teammates he hasn't ruled out trying to play Sunday vs. Heat. #Bulls

SteBO
01-24-2012, 07:21 PM
kcjhoop
Don't know why he'd risk it in a meaningless regular season game.....He needs to rest. He's way too important to what the Bulls do on both ends to risk aggrevating it. He shouldn't play.

beasted86
01-24-2012, 07:32 PM
Don't know why he'd risk it in a meaningless regular season game.....He needs to rest. He's way too important to what the Bulls do on both ends to risk aggrevating it. He shouldn't play.

He's perfectly fine... if he wants to play, let him play. There's no chance whatsoever the injury can get worse. As a matter of fact, I think he should play even more so his wrist stays warmed up. Yeah... that's it! He should play through it and keep it loose, that's the best way to let it heal.

(:mad: WTF are you trying to do here?! ;););))

Cubby
01-24-2012, 07:33 PM
Interesting, when Kobe gets injured like this, he plays through it anyway, but for any other player though, there out for a couple of weeks or months even.

Probably because Kobe has to play in order for the Lakers to actually be a good team. Deng doesn't have to play for the Bulls to be effective. We have the depth to do almost just as well without him, so it's best for him to rest until he's 100%.

This could turn out to be a blessing. When Deng comes back (whenever it is), he'll be rested and rejuvenated for the playoffs.

ManRam

You do realize how many ligaments there are in the hand/wrist and how different they all are. Many function in different ways. Some help pronate, some help suppinate. Some in the wrist help with individual finger function, some help with much more than that.

Cubby
That said, he should take a few weeks off to rest up.

Cubby
01-24-2012, 07:35 PM
You do realize how many ligaments there are in the hand/wrist and how different they all...

Plus both mean different things for their respective teams. Kobe is the Lakers. Deng isn't the Bulls.

Lim
01-24-2012, 08:48 PM
Some people just don't think before they speak or type. Saying Deng should be playing because Bryant is playing with a torn ligament is dumb. Bryant didn't tear it and start playing right away. Deng just tore his wrist. Bryant missed the next preseason game because obviously it didn't matter. Deng will probably miss several games because it's not really going to matter because the Bulls will get into the playoffs even if Deng misses a month. The Lakers needs Kobe now more than they ever did. Bryant's career is coming to a close likely. The Bulls can survive the season(but not the playoffs) without Deng. No point in jeopardizing Deng's career and the playoff run by having Deng out there now.

not that it really matters but im pretty sure kobe completely teared it.

kozelkid
01-24-2012, 09:48 PM
I'd say do the surgery, be ready for the playoffs, no way they don't make it there without him.

I agree.

Instead this will be a nagging and ungoing issue that could possibly get worse if at any moment he gets hit the wrong way.

Not to mention it's pretty certain that he wants to play in the Olympics for Britain. When is he going to get surgery then? I hate this. And I feel he's doing it purely to continue to try to shed that injury prone/ "*****" label he once had, which I feel like he long lost since his 82 game, great season last year.

BKdoubleStacker
01-25-2012, 03:11 AM
"A torn ligament is nothing. I had the same injury and I was still able to work out on my regular schedule. Not to mention that it's not even his primary hand. "

cool story bro

rds1488
01-25-2012, 03:23 AM
first off the ligament he tore isn't the same as the one kobe tore.. the doctors advised to have surgery right now but the time of recovery would have been 3 to 4 months.. hence why he is waiting to get the surgery after the season since the injury can't get worse

DaVille
01-25-2012, 04:06 AM
Bulls can ill afford to lose Deng. Mr. Everything for that team. Their defense definitely will suffer without him.

MJ-BULLS
01-25-2012, 05:58 AM
If I'm not mistaken, he had the same injury his rookie year. He played threw it. I just want him to get some rest and be ready for the playoffs.

quade36
01-25-2012, 10:01 AM
not that it really matters but im pretty sure kobe completely teared it.

not that it really matters but you are saying Kobe cried? It must have hurt him a lot.

:D

SportsAndrew25
01-25-2012, 10:02 AM
How long before we have a save Luol Deng's hands foundation?