PDA

View Full Version : Rejoice Wiz Fans! The Wizards have fired Flip!

ManRam
01-24-2012, 12:49 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA
After a 2-15 start to the season, the Washington Wizards have fired Flip Saunders as coach, a league source tells Y! Sports.

Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA
The Wizards have talked to assistant coach Randy Wittman about taking the interim coaching job, but nothing official yet, sources say.

About damn time!

Rosh
01-24-2012, 12:50 PM
Poor Flip. He has a bunch of idiots in Washington.

nycericanguy
01-24-2012, 12:52 PM
Now they should just flat out release Blatche or amnesty him, he's such a cancer and its clear no other team will take him a trade.

asandhu23
01-24-2012, 01:02 PM
Hopefully, Mark Jackson is next. :pray:

Johann
01-24-2012, 01:05 PM
Wizards forum.

Federal Reserve
01-24-2012, 01:07 PM

It's obviously Jackson's fault that the Warriors cannot hold onto a 25 point lead.

Swashcuff
01-24-2012, 01:07 PM
Wizards forum.

You've been here long enough to know that almost every every head coach firing/hiring is discussed in the NBA forum as it should.

lvlheaded
01-24-2012, 01:10 PM
Mike "NO" D, please be next

bovice163
01-24-2012, 01:11 PM
A few years too late, but better sooner than never.

latinofire21
01-24-2012, 01:12 PM
Poor flip. Its not his fault his team sucks. Blame management for putting together such a bad group of guys.

SportsAndrew25
01-24-2012, 01:13 PM
No surprises here. How long before Mike D'Antoni walks the plank?

Bob_at_york
01-24-2012, 01:14 PM
I think Flip is a good coach, I am sure there will be teams lining up for him next summer.

HouRealCoach
01-24-2012, 01:15 PM
Mike D should be next... But Flip actually had nothing to work with

ManRam
01-24-2012, 01:17 PM
Flip deserves a lot of blame. He really is doing an awful job. He doesn't have much, for sure, but a good coach can get more out of that roster than he does. His rotations lately have been beyond baffling.

I don't feel bad for him. It wasn't a good fit, and he wasn't getting the most out of his guys.

LGhost
01-24-2012, 01:24 PM
A few years too late, but better later than never.

Fixed :cool:

John Walls Era
01-24-2012, 01:26 PM
He sucks. Anyone can be a front runner when given a lot of talent. Honestly I could've done a better job than him.

alencp3
01-24-2012, 01:27 PM
Now get rid of Blatche and Crawford, draft Drummond or Davis, and that team will have a bright future

BigDFan85
01-24-2012, 01:32 PM
Not sure what they really have to "rejoice" about. They still have the same players and front office.

Sadds The Gr8
01-24-2012, 01:34 PM
about ****in time...this is like 2 years too late...

xbrackattackx
01-24-2012, 01:43 PM
Sloan to the wizards and they would be contenders. he would have wall and blatche run Pick and pops.

He115ing
01-24-2012, 01:50 PM

this:clap:

gotoHcarolina52
01-24-2012, 02:23 PM
Who goes first, Paul Silas or Michael D'Antoni?

Raph12
01-24-2012, 02:36 PM
D'Antoni should've been first...

COOLbeans
01-24-2012, 02:47 PM
It's obviously Jackson's fault that the Warriors cannot hold onto a 25 point lead.

:clap:

Well said.

wizardsfan3
01-24-2012, 03:18 PM
They need to fire their GM Ernie Grunfield next; he's probably one of the worst, if not the worst, GM right now. Then they need to get rid of Lewis, Blatche, Crawford, and Young.

knicksfan42
01-24-2012, 03:27 PM
He might not have been right for the Wizards, but he is not a bad coach.

thekmp211
01-24-2012, 03:33 PM
he had to be fired. just a terrible fit. not sure who the wizards should target, long-term.

jpagemn
01-24-2012, 03:50 PM
I feel bad for you guys. As a long time Timberwolves fan, I can tell you, Flip was a much better option than Wittman, and I have seen this story played out before. I understand he was brought in because of his ability to develop young players, and largely he has failed in that regard, but some of the personalities on that team do not lend themselves to being taught. Best of luck to you guys this season, it's going to be rough.

Iodine
01-24-2012, 04:01 PM
Flip deserves a lot of blame. He really is doing an awful job. He doesn't have much, for sure, but a good coach can get more out of that roster than he does. His rotations lately have been beyond baffling.

I don't feel bad for him. It wasn't a good fit, and he wasn't getting the most out of his guys.

This. And I think the kiss of death was promising a major shake up of the roation then like a week later going back to the same one

jpagemn
01-24-2012, 04:10 PM
He sucks. Anyone can be a front runner when given a lot of talent. Honestly I could've done a better job than him.

And yet, here you are posting on PSD.

jimbobjarree
01-24-2012, 04:11 PM
This. And I think the kiss of death was promising a major shake up of the roation then like a week later going back to the same one

the kiss of death was Blatche's extension

Celtics33
01-24-2012, 04:13 PM
I wonder who management will target next for the head coaching gig.

PlezPlayDKnicks
01-24-2012, 04:13 PM
I love the Mike D complaints by fellow Knick fans.. We had trashy rosters since he got here combined with a few young players and made the playoffs the only year with a decent roster. Gutted teams for years and he's blamed for everything. Name 10 coaches in the league better right now. I'd love to hear it. Who could've coached these incomplete rosters pre Amare to the playoffs. Judge him off last year and this year which is y he shouldn't be fired this season @ least

KB-Pau-DH2012
01-24-2012, 04:24 PM
Flip is a loser coach since his days in Minny, failed to take over for Larry Brown in Detroit. Randy Whittman tried to clean up Flip's mess in Minny as well and that didn't work. I don't know why the Wizards would give another failure like Whitmann a chance and don't give new blood like Sam Cassell a chance at being a head coach...beyond my understanding.

Voodoo Alchemy
01-24-2012, 04:25 PM

u mean Mike Antoni?

papipapsmanny
01-24-2012, 04:30 PM
**** u flip... good riddance, such a bad coach.

Wizards need a hard *** as coach.

Blacthe you do something stupid.... out of the game, run a **** load in practice

Crawford, you think you are MJ? Smacked across the face, and benched.

Nick Young, there is still hope, just give him a smack on the head after he bad shot he makes.

Rashard Lewis... **** you, too much money, and u suck

Kinglorious
01-24-2012, 05:40 PM
Flip's a great coach, but one man can only do so much for a team that, frankly, sucks balls at the moment.

IBleedPurple
01-24-2012, 06:29 PM
Crappy team and an overrated coach.....not surprising

SteBO
01-24-2012, 07:24 PM
ManRam, I'm pretty sure that Flip Saunders too is rejoicing. He wanted out of there for sure as well. But in saying that, I agree with the poster above me. He's an overrated coach and their team is utter crap right now. It was inevitable at this point.

Iodine
01-24-2012, 08:48 PM
I love the Mike D complaints by fellow Knick fans.. We had trashy rosters since he got here combined with a few young players and made the playoffs the only year with a decent roster. Gutted teams for years and he's blamed for everything. Name 10 coaches in the league better right now. I'd love to hear it. Who could've coached these incomplete rosters pre Amare to the playoffs. Judge him off last year and this year which is y he shouldn't be fired this season @ least

In no order
Pop
Ricky A
SVG
Doc
Rick Carlisle
George Karl
Nat Mc
Thibs
Vogel
And I would take Casey and Corbin over him, and if Sloan is serious about coming back him too.

Lim
01-24-2012, 08:52 PM
Seems like the perfect play. PR show to attempt to appease fans while in tank-mode for a loaded draft. Hire real coach in June.

topdog
01-24-2012, 09:07 PM
If Randy Wittman is the next coach, then you're not much better off. I'd rather my team be coached by a Whitman Sampler (box of chocolates), at least then they might have some energy.

Hawkeye15
01-24-2012, 09:11 PM
Flip was never a good fit there. He has a HUGE playbook that requires precision scorers and higher IQ players, which Washington doesn't have.

Wonder who the Wiz bring in to babysit that team until they can break them up and try and increase the average IQ in the locker room to above Forrest Gump.

Hawkeye15
01-24-2012, 09:11 PM
Wittman is the worst coach I have ever seen. They need to either tank and get as high a pick as possible, or bring in a real coach if they can.

KB-Pau-DH2012
01-24-2012, 09:13 PM
Flip was never a good fit there. He has a HUGE playbook that requires precision scorers and higher IQ players, which Washington doesn't have.

Wonder who the Wiz bring in to babysit that team until they can break them up and try and increase the average IQ in the locker room to above Forrest Gump.

Flip took the head coaching position when Tawn, Gilbert and Butler were there, right?

Hawkeye15
01-24-2012, 09:21 PM
Flip took the head coaching position when Tawn, Gilbert and Butler were there, right?

Yep, Gibert lost to injury, never to be the same after his 32nd game Flips first year there, and Butler's first year of completely poor play on both ends compared to his previous few years.

Flip is a great coach, but he needs a perfect fit. If he doesn't have it, he attempts to force his style, and it just doesn't work without the right pieces.

Sixerlover
01-24-2012, 09:32 PM
I love the Mike D complaints by fellow Knick fans.. We had trashy rosters since he got here combined with a few young players and made the playoffs the only year with a decent roster. Gutted teams for years and he's blamed for everything. Name 10 coaches in the league better right now. I'd love to hear it.

Just 10?

Doug Collins
Stan Van Gundy
Doc Rivers
Tom Thibodeau
Rick Adelman
Nate McMillian
Rick Carlisle
Greg Popovich
Lionel Hollins
George Karl

but back to Flip, he was hired in Washington to coach the veterans (Gil, Caron, Jamison) and was stuck the last couple years with that mess of a roster. A lot of individual talent, horrible together as a team. It was time.

PlezPlayDKnicks
01-24-2012, 09:59 PM
Just 10?

Doug Collins
Stan Van Gundy
Doc Rivers
Tom Thibodeau
Rick Adelman
Nate McMillian
Rick Carlisle
Greg Popovich
Lionel Hollins
George Karl

but back to Flip, he was hired in Washington to coach the veterans (Gil, Caron, Jamison) and was stuck the last couple years with that mess of a roster. A lot of individual talent, horrible together as a team. It was time.

Winning cures all. Out of that list 5 coaches might be more well rounded but Mike D is a good coach contrary to popular belief. It's just popular to bash a coach who is very offensive minded to a fault and had bad KNICK teams 3 outta the 5 seasons he has been here.

PlezPlayDKnicks
01-24-2012, 10:01 PM
In no order
Pop
Ricky A
SVG
Doc
Rick Carlisle
George Karl
Nat Mc
Thibs
Vogel
And I would take Casey and Corbin over him, and if Sloan is serious about coming back him too.

So Vogel , Corbin , Casey are better how??!!

FriedTofuz
01-24-2012, 10:06 PM
Wizards forum.

Tell me one good reason how this cant be nba news? a Nba coach who has served many years as a coach in the nba got fired, why cant it be in the nba forum?

FriedTofuz
01-24-2012, 10:08 PM
You've been here long enough to know that almost every every head coach firing/hiring is discussed in the NBA forum as it should.

Agreed. Im glad there is still understanding people in this world who dont lack common sense :cheers:

Iodine
01-24-2012, 10:20 PM
So Vogel , Corbin , Casey are better how??!!

They don't have the track record but they all have far more potential than Mike and all are considered ones that help get the most out of their players and actually are flexible to their situation and such.

And how is Mike "well rounded"? you realize that rebounding and building rotations are part of coaching?

Shortys4711
01-24-2012, 10:23 PM
And yet, here you are posting on PSD.

LOL hahahah

NYtilIdie
01-24-2012, 10:34 PM
Winning cures all. Out of that list 5 coaches might be more well rounded but Mike D is a good coach contrary to popular belief. It's just popular to bash a coach who is very offensive minded to a fault and had bad KNICK teams 3 outta the 5 seasons he has been here.

Or maybe because he's just one sided like you said and is too foolish to believe that the game of basketball is played on two sides of the floor.

PlezPlayDKnicks
01-24-2012, 10:39 PM
They don't have the track record but they all have far more potential than Mike and all are considered ones that help get the most out of their players and actually are flexible to their situation and such.

And how is Mike "well rounded"? you realize that rebounding and building rotations are part of coaching?

Mike got the most out of Diaw, Lee, Duhon, Nate , Barbosa etc etc . I won't even include stars. Mike has flaws obviously but that's no different than overly defensive minded coaches with no creativity. Teams have mimicked his system and that alone is a sign of a good coach. I never said he was the best . But he is a positive coach who many players say they would love to play for. His system is more complex than people give credit for but it's ok , we will just agree to disagree

Slimsim
01-24-2012, 10:40 PM

Why

PlezPlayDKnicks
01-24-2012, 10:44 PM
Or maybe because he's just one sided like you said and is too foolish to believe that the game of basketball is played on two sides of the floor.

Many defensive coaches suffer from the same problem but aren't given the same criticism. DAntoni stands as the exception of coaches who play witha different philosophy. As a said Dantoni isn't perfect but he is scrutinized way more than coaches who have no creativity and go nowhere as well. FOR ALL the love Jeff van GUndy gets from our fan base he hasn't won with his philosophy either.

PlezPlayDKnicks
01-24-2012, 10:46 PM

And we have been a better team defensively this year. It could be Woodson or it could be that we have Tyson instead of Turiaf , Lee, Amare being the last line of defense...

Johann
01-24-2012, 10:49 PM
Tell me one good reason how this cant be nba news? a Nba coach who has served many years as a coach in the nba got fired, why cant it be in the nba forum?

Does it affect any other team right now?

Flip got fired. Another coach is coming up.

Iodine
01-24-2012, 10:58 PM
^Injuries don't affect the other 29 teams in the league directly, but we always post those threads