PDA

View Full Version : Why is Denver so good?

Greet
01-23-2012, 06:31 PM
I mean they have no one who really stands out on their roster and two very good players are in China right now. How is this team doing so good? Coaching?

Evolution23
01-23-2012, 06:32 PM
depth

Mudvayne91
01-23-2012, 06:33 PM
Kmart is old and injury prone and with Fernandez/Brewer, JR is far from needed. Not to mention they got two of the headcases out.

Also George Karl is an incredible coach. When Chandler comes back, they'll have to make some decisions on trying to move someone.

KnicksR4Real
01-23-2012, 06:36 PM
gallo

setman2000
01-23-2012, 06:37 PM
Ego's are gone, great, coachable depth with solid talent - THANK YOU KNICKS!

D-Leethal
01-23-2012, 06:39 PM
they have high IQ players everywhere on the court, they are very young talented and hungry and know how to play team ball....

That said, I think they are built for regular season and will be exposed for not having someone to counter the Durants, Kobe's, Dirks, Aldridges and other stars in the clutch they will face in the playoffs. I think Gallo has the type of game to turn into that late game player and he has been pretty clutch from day 1. Not sure he's ready yet.

IgglesFanInCO
01-23-2012, 06:39 PM
I think the biggest aspect is that if any player is struggling there is a starter quality guy behind him trying to prove himself

also, ty lawson is a freaking BEEAAASSSSTTTTTT

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-23-2012, 06:43 PM
more ball movement without melo

GrapeSoda
01-23-2012, 06:43 PM
team basketball > star dominance

DJcomestar
01-23-2012, 06:45 PM
gallo and ty lawson have stood out big time...

cmellofan15
01-23-2012, 06:49 PM
Kmart is old and injury prone and with Fernandez/Brewer, JR is far from needed. Not to mention they got two of the headcases out.

Also George Karl is an incredible coach. When Chandler comes back, they'll have to make some decisions on trying to move someone.

Chandler probably will probably be signing elsewhere when he returns.

and because basketball is a team sport. when our team comes together on offense we can outscore anyone in the league.

Rentzias
01-23-2012, 06:50 PM
depth
This. They can fully subscribe to the run-all-the-time mentality that GK wants installed every night with the amount of bench available to them, in a shortened season. Ty Lawson is amazing, but Andre Miller's "backup" numbers are right there. Same with Gallo-Harrington, Mozgov-Bird.

Not only is Gallo being more and more featured as a main option on offense, they've also been putting him on the other team's #1 option as much as they can.

ChiSox219
01-23-2012, 06:50 PM
They get to the rim, make threes, and play some defense. Karl is such an underrated coach

setman2000
01-23-2012, 06:51 PM

Al Harrington off the bench!

Chi City23
01-23-2012, 06:53 PM
They're actually not that different than the Bulls. They have amazing depth, a really good coach and players that share the ball and have great chemistry.

Bulls have the best player (Rose) and the better defense which makes them a tad better but I believe Denver can make it to the WCF and then you never know tbh

theheatles
01-23-2012, 06:55 PM
They remind me of the kings from the early 2000's

Mudvayne91
01-23-2012, 06:57 PM

and because basketball is a team sport. when our team comes together on offense we can outscore anyone in the league.

His agent has actually been talking to the Nuggets about a longterm extension. I would ideally like to get something out of him if he does leave though. Maybe a sign and trade.

mjt20mik
01-23-2012, 06:58 PM
Depth and a great coach.

BKdoubleStacker
01-23-2012, 06:59 PM
They arent extremely talented at all, but they have some damn good chemistry.

Mudvayne91
01-23-2012, 07:01 PM
Gallo and Lawson are pretty damn talented... Just cause they're young and haven't fully harnessed the total talent doesn't mean they're not talented.

Nick O
01-23-2012, 07:01 PM
even though he doesnt play... just the menacing vibe kenneth Faried gives off intimidates opponents into ******** themselves..

THE GIPPER
01-23-2012, 07:03 PM
even though he doesnt play... just the menacing vibe kenneth Faried gives off intimidates opponents into ******** themselves..

Thats the one thing that bothers me about Karl. He doesnt play rookies.

Hellcrooner
01-23-2012, 07:04 PM
they are a TEAM, not a collection of players feeding one or two players for this/those players personal glory.

Mudvayne91
01-23-2012, 07:08 PM
Really reminds of Euro ball. No man bigger than the team. I swear I say "oh my God, that's beautiful basketball" 3-4 times a game.

ChaseHamels
01-23-2012, 07:30 PM

So you're saying when Denver is playing its best basketball they can beat any team in the league playing their best basketball.

Sorry, but no.

Sinestro
01-23-2012, 07:32 PM
They play like a team

SteBO
01-23-2012, 07:45 PM
That team just continues to impress the **** out of me. They have so many good players and the system really fits them nicely. Ty Lawson is the head of the snake there, and Gallo has been really aggressive. Not to mention that Geroge Karl is a great coach who knows how to utilize the talent he has. In turn, they've beaten plenty of good-great teams in the NBA, including my Heat.

LA_Raiders
01-23-2012, 08:44 PM
Great Coaching!

Hawkeye15
01-23-2012, 08:46 PM
depth

bingo. They have a better ability then maybe any other team to sustain injuries, and get through 4 games in 5 nights because their 2nd unit could be an average starting unit in the NBA.

Hawkeye15
01-23-2012, 08:47 PM
The Nuggets will not be a championship contender, but they are literally built to win in a season jam packed with games in a shorter period of time.

Kashmir13579
01-23-2012, 08:49 PM
The Nuggets will not be a championship contender

It would be a great story, though. One for the little guy.

Mudvayne91
01-23-2012, 09:18 PM
Meh, I don't buy too much into them not being able to win in the playoffs as they're playing right now. I think Gallo will begin to get these phantom star calls and he's actually great at taking it to the hoop as is. Too early in the season to make these predictions though.

utl768
01-23-2012, 09:20 PM
they got rid of mr isolation

BallIsAll
01-23-2012, 09:23 PM
The Nuggets will not be a championship contender, but they are literally built to win in a season jam packed with games in a shorter period of time.

And the mavericks didn't win it last year :rolleyes:

lakerfan3118
01-23-2012, 09:26 PM
I think part of their success comes out of the fact that were playing in a condensed season as well. Teams like Denver, Portland, and Philadelphia are young teams with depth and have the interchangeable parts necessary to be fresh on back to backs.

d nuggets fan
01-23-2012, 09:33 PM
Can you believe even the playoff schedule has back-to-backs.

Kashmir13579
01-23-2012, 09:36 PM
Meh, I don't buy too much into them not being able to win in the playoffs as they're playing right now. I think Gallo will begin to get these phantom star calls and he's actually great at taking it to the hoop as is. Too early in the season to make these predictions though.

You kidding me? He's been getting those calls the whole time. He does that little neck jerk move whenever anyone touches him. He's one hell of an actor but the refs know what he's doing.

iggypop123
01-23-2012, 09:41 PM
run and gun, depth and the altitude. perfect recipe

setman2000
01-23-2012, 09:41 PM
You kidding me? He's been getting those calls the whole time. He does that little neck jerk move whenever anyone touches him. He's one hell of an actor but the refs know what he's doing.

Says a bitter Knicks fan. ME-lo!

Kashmir13579
01-23-2012, 09:43 PM
Says a bitter Knicks fan. ME-lo!

Why you gotta be like that? I love Gallo. I never wanted to give him up in a trade. These things aren't up to me.

Mudvayne91
01-23-2012, 10:05 PM

In all honesty, he really hasn't been doing a whole lot of acting this year. That's not to say he has completely stopped cause I can remember last game he did it.

I just don't buy they aren't built for the post season as of right now

Why you gotta be like that? I love Gallo. I never wanted to give him up in a trade. These things aren't up to me.
It's true. If I remember correctly, you use to have a Gallo avatar.

AIRMAR72
01-23-2012, 11:00 PM
they have a true PG GOOD shooters and guys who can finish in the paint got rid of carmello who stagnate the offense and is only good for chucking away

Celtics33
01-23-2012, 11:28 PM
depth

This.

blahblahyoutoo
01-24-2012, 02:44 AM

i'm not convinced with galo.
his shooting isn't as good as everyone says it is, and he's not as quick or crafty as melo when trying to get to the rim.

i'll give him time though as he's still young and improving.

Becks2307
01-24-2012, 03:52 AM
Gallo.

abe_froman
01-24-2012, 03:55 AM
cuz they have alot of good players :shrug: ,just because they dont have that one or two over the top,star talents doesnt mean the players arent,they just have good quality spread out over the entire roster

DetroitBadBoy
01-24-2012, 04:15 AM
They are comparable to the 04 Pistons. Team basketball and depth.

Rentzias
01-24-2012, 10:26 AM
So how do you make this team a championship contender without sacrificing the same elements that make them built to win the way they are?

DenButsu
01-24-2012, 10:26 AM
One of the biggest reasons:

Masai Ujiri

He took the helm during the maelstorm of the Melo trade rumors, and passed his first big test by turning the ostensibly crappy situation of Denver's franchise player possibly walking away for nothing into an unlikely trade (which most said he couldn't pull off due to his youth and inexperience) which the Nuggets arguably may have even gotten the better end of.

Then when everything was supposed to be doom and gloom again, with the lockout and the possible departures of all of Nene, Arron Afflalo, Wilson Chandler, JR Smith and Kenyon Martin, he ultimately re-signed two of those free agents to long term contracts (Nene and Afflalo), keeping essential parts of the team's framework intact. (JR and K-Mart were never going to return anyhow, as unrestricted free agents who both were already on the record as not really wanting to stay in Denver -- Wilson Chandler will return as a restricted free agent, so whether the Nuggets retain him, S&T him, or let him walk is yet to be determined).

In addition to that, he also acquired Rudy Fernandez and Corey Brewer from Dallas for a mere 2nd round pick. Both of them have played big roles in the hard working, selfless, team oriented, deep roster that people have been talking about in this thread.

Even what looked at the time to be his worst move, signing Al Harrington, looks... well, less bad in retrospect, as he's probably been the 3rd best player on the team so far this season.

So yeah, I give Masai a huge amount of credit for creating the situation the Nuggs are in now.

omdigga
01-24-2012, 11:12 AM
birdman

netsgiantsyanks
01-24-2012, 11:31 AM
no melo.

netsgiantsyanks
01-24-2012, 11:35 AM
and no i'm not a hating nets fan, it's true. look at new york's situation: they have 2 superstars, 1 star and the rest of the team are role players at best. the nuggets have good players spread throughout the roster that know how to play team basketball rather than letting one person hog the ball for a good majority of the game.

He115ing
01-24-2012, 12:06 PM
Coaching and the fact that they used to have a black hole in their roster last year, I believe the name was Carmelo Anthony.

But now since there is no one to stop the ball movements for 20s of the shot clock they are doing pretty well.

Marlin234
01-24-2012, 12:17 PM
The main reason is the coaching. Besides that they have a bunch of really good role players. They're not selfish and no one on that team seems to want to be the all-star player of the team. This helps the chemistry, they are playing for each other instead of themselves.

In my opinion Melo leaving is the best thing that happened to them. Look at the knicks they're a joke.

JordansBulls
01-24-2012, 06:34 PM
I mean they have no one who really stands out on their roster and two very good players are in China right now. How is this team doing so good? Coaching?

Kinda like the 2004 Pistons with no allstar.

njnets
01-24-2012, 07:19 PM
depth.

this team's bench is really good. this comes into effect even more in a shortened season when guys are tired. having someone who can come off the bench and replace the starter for 20 minutes and replicate their numbers is very good to have.

Ironman5219
01-24-2012, 07:35 PM

They got of a selfish ball hog named Mello...........

smith&wesson
01-24-2012, 07:40 PM
i hope they dont resign w.chandler. i would love that guy on my team.

phoenix_bladen
01-24-2012, 07:40 PM
One of the biggest reasons:

Masai Ujiri

He took the helm during the maelstorm of the Melo trade rumors, and passed his first big test by turning the ostensibly crappy situation of Denver's franchise player possibly walking away for nothing into an unlikely trade (which most said he couldn't pull off due to his youth and inexperience) which the Nuggets arguably may have even gotten the better end of.

Then when everything was supposed to be doom and gloom again, with the lockout and the possible departures of all of Nene, Arron Afflalo, Wilson Chandler, JR Smith and Kenyon Martin, he ultimately re-signed two of those free agents to long term contracts (Nene and Afflalo), keeping essential parts of the team's framework intact. (JR and K-Mart were never going to return anyhow, as unrestricted free agents who both were already on the record as not really wanting to stay in Denver -- Wilson Chandler will return as a restricted free agent, so whether the Nuggets retain him, S&T him, or let him walk is yet to be determined).

In addition to that, he also acquired Rudy Fernandez and Corey Brewer from Dallas for a mere 2nd round pick. Both of them have played big roles in the hard working, selfless, team oriented, deep roster that people have been talking about in this thread.

Even what looked at the time to be his worst move, signing Al Harrington, looks... well, less bad in retrospect, as he's probably been the 3rd best player on the team so far this season.

So yeah, I give Masai a huge amount of credit for creating the situation the Nuggs are in now.

i never understood why the knicks waived him in the beginning

i always thought they could have at least used him

John Walls Era
01-24-2012, 07:48 PM
Because of Melo's trade value.

beasted86
01-24-2012, 07:52 PM
Cause Hollinger said so.

WildcatsPride
01-24-2012, 09:11 PM
George Karl is a great coach, and the team has lots of depth. The lack of a true superstar that can take over might hurt them though in the playoffs. Even with 5-6 players who can score in double digits, I think Ty Lawson or Danilo Gallinari have that superstar potential who can take over a game late in the 4th Quarter or even in the playoffs.

JEDean89
01-24-2012, 09:13 PM
if the knicks sign k-mart and jr smith then they have officially inherited all of denvers old problems. denver won a 4 game road trip with a different player leading in scoring every night. they win because they don't play basketball for superstars or the media. they win because everyone on the team plays like a pg and they have depth at each position.

jiggin
01-24-2012, 09:13 PM
because they have a balanced roster that compliments each other. You don't have to have all stars on your team, nor major big names. Having a balance which hits every important part of the game and can work in tandem is the key, IMO.

Hawkeye15
01-24-2012, 09:14 PM
And the mavericks didn't win it last year :rolleyes:

you guys just don't have any star power at all, and you are not the 2004 Pistons defense. It will be tough in the playoffs, because your depth won't matter anymore, they space the games out so much, teams with minimal depth get all the rest they need.

Hawkeye15
01-24-2012, 09:16 PM
So how do you make this team a championship contender without sacrificing the same elements that make them built to win the way they are?

I don't see anyone on that roster who can take over a game come playoff time, and while their defense is very good, to win a ring with no star, you need a completely dominant defense. Think 04' Pistons. And your defense isn't even remotely close to theirs.

Come playoffs, the Nuggets will run into teams with flat out better starting lineups then they have. And their bench won't be as big, because in the playoffs rotations shorten, so they won't get to have a 2nd unit dominating another 2nd unit with near the minutes they get now.

JEDean89
01-24-2012, 09:17 PM
and all hail masai, seriously the dude has made brilliant move after brilliant move, remember when the knicks were only willing to offer chandler straight up for melo? lol

Mudvayne91
01-25-2012, 01:49 AM
I can't understand him half the time, but the man is a king. We are lucky to have him.