PDA

View Full Version : Spurs To Retire Bruce "Scissorhands" Bowen's #12 Jersey On March 21st

KB-Pau-DH2012
01-23-2012, 04:23 PM
ESPNSteinLine Marc Stein
Spurs just announced they're retiring No. 12 worn by Cal State Fullerton's own @Bowen12 on March 21. Major props to my fellow Titan/ESPNer

Bowen12 Bruce Bowen
I'd like to thank Peter Holt, Pop, RC, and the Spurs Organization, The GREAT GROUP of guys that made this all possible.

Federal Reserve
01-23-2012, 04:24 PM
He was a terrible, dirty player.

GrapeSoda
01-23-2012, 04:25 PM

I LOVED his defense, never would have thought that the Spurs were going to retire his jersey though

Hellcrooner
01-23-2012, 04:27 PM
mmmmmmmmmmm, yep i think he deserves and Lakers should take note and retire Coopers 21 already.

Rangerchick
01-23-2012, 04:34 PM
I hope Dirk and Bowen get together for a beer sometime and reminisce. Bowen always played Nowitzki tough. Bowen was also a great 3-pt. shooter.

Slug3
01-23-2012, 04:44 PM
I still remember Bowen always trying to injury people by sticking his legs under them and hoping they would land on him and twist an ankle. He did it to Vince a few times and even stepped on the back of Amares foot once. Great defender, and great at being dirty.

king4day
01-23-2012, 04:45 PM
That guarantees Parker and Ginobili will be retired by SA.

For comparison purposes, I take the Phoenix Suns Ring of Honor and number retiring seriously. I don't know that I want Amar'es # retired in Phoenix. Marion is questionable to me also but has a better shot than Amar'e.
Nash is the only sure thing IMO.

I know Bowen meant a lot to their title teams but to me, that lowers the standards of what it means to have the honor of your number being retired.
It's one thing to go to the Spurs and have to change your number because it was once worn by the great Tim Duncan. But imagine having to change your number because it was worn by Bruce Bowen?

Mudvayne91
01-23-2012, 04:47 PM
I still remember Bowen always trying to injury people by sticking his legs under them and hoping they would land on him and twist an ankle. He did it to Vince a few times and even stepped on the back of Amares foot once. Great defender, and great at being dirty.

Yep. Did it against Melo too. If the Spurs want to do this, I don't see why not, but he's not that worthy imo.

Kashmir13579
01-23-2012, 05:22 PM
Thats so ****ing awesome. Spurs are a classy organization to say the least, even if Bowen wasn't a classy player.

Ebbs
01-23-2012, 05:51 PM
He was a dirty pos but he did his job well. So at the end of the day I think he deserves it.

SouthSideRookie
01-23-2012, 06:03 PM
:facepalm:

dtmagnet
01-23-2012, 07:36 PM
Bowen is an oldschool badass, he was a huge part of the Spurs success, good for him!

Iodine
01-23-2012, 08:10 PM
Bowen is an oldschool badass, he was a huge part of the Spurs success, good for him!

x2

I love how everyone singles him out as evil when as recently as 1999 he would have been just like everyone else

Lab Rat Robby
01-23-2012, 08:56 PM
as a spurs fan i dunno how i feel about this. parker, ginoblili, and of course duncan yes. retiring a number is a big deal though. i guess he deserves it, but i am just completely side-swiped by the news. i've wanted bowen to come back as an assistant coach since he retired, even more so to train leonard. i guess it's hard to acknowledge a guy who's key stat is reducing other players stats. way to go spurs for givin him credit.

lakerfan3118
01-23-2012, 09:11 PM
For those that say that retiring Bowen's number ''lowers the standards of...honor'', it is important to remember that this is the same franchise that retired Avery Johnson's number-- a good player, but not one necessarily deserving of, say, the HOF by any stretch of the imagination. Avery was not even elected to an all star game once in his career. Obviously, the Spurs value things more than just individual statistics.

Bowen personified the philosophy of the Spurs dynasty last decade-- a mainstay on a gritty, defense oriented team that ultimately won 3 championships while he was rostered. In my opinion he is deserving of the accolade.

John Walls Era
01-23-2012, 09:12 PM
When you win championships you can do w.e. you want. You don't retire role players who have never been an all-star, UNLESS they were an integral part to Championships.

Giraffes Rule
01-23-2012, 09:17 PM
For those that say that retiring Bowen's number ''lowers the standards of...honor'', it is important to remember that this is the same franchise that retired Avery Johnson's number-- a good player, but not one necessarily deserving of, say, the HOF by any stretch of the imagination. Avery was not even elected to an all star game once in his career. Obviously, the Spurs value things more than just individual statistics.

Bowen personified the philosophy of the Spurs dynasty last decade-- a mainstay on a gritty, defense oriented team that ultimately won 3 championships while he was rostered. In my opinion he is deserving of the accolade.

This sums up my thoughts on the matter pretty well. Bowen was as important as anyone on those championship teams, and he certainly deserves some acknowledgement for what he did. He's not hall of fame worthy, so this will have to do.

kenzo400
01-23-2012, 09:17 PM
ESPNSteinLine Marc Stein
Spurs just announced they're retiring No. 12 worn by Cal State Fullerton's own @Bowen12 on March 21. Major props to my fellow Titan/ESPNer

Bowen12 Bruce Bowen
I'd like to thank Peter Holt, Pop, RC, and the Spurs Organization, The GREAT GROUP of guys that made this all possible.

They should call him Scissorlegs for the kick in the face he gave Wally Szerbiak.

utl768
01-23-2012, 09:21 PM
thats pretty shocking

kdspurman
01-23-2012, 09:25 PM
Bruce was important. He gave us that toughness, and mentality that was going to make the opposing teams best player work for everything. He guarded guys like Nash, Paul, Kobe, even Dirk. He guarded 1-4 with pride and did a dam good job frustrating them.

And btw everyone dogging him, calling him dirty or questioning the move would not be had he been on your team and brought the success to your team...

WVNowitzki
01-23-2012, 09:27 PM
When Spurs retire Bowen's number, they shouldnt raise his banner. They should LOWER his banner - under feet of jump-shooting opponents

Iodine
01-23-2012, 09:31 PM
When Spurs retire Bowen's number, they shouldnt raise his banner. They should LOWER his banner - under feet of jump-shooting opponents

You are soooooo clever

kdspurman
01-23-2012, 09:33 PM
You are soooooo clever

:laugh:

WVNowitzki
01-23-2012, 09:37 PM
Aww poor spurs fan is butt hurt that Bowen was a dirty player and it's recognized.

Slug3
01-23-2012, 10:21 PM
x2

I love how everyone singles him out as evil when as recently as 1999 he would have been just like everyone else

Sorry, but plays like this make him out to be evil http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VDMaNyYCMk&feature=related

Its one thing to play great D (which he did), but its another when you are trying to hurt someone on purpose.

Iodine
01-23-2012, 10:46 PM
Sorry, but plays like this make him out to be evil http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VDMaNyYCMk&feature=related

Its one thing to play great D (which he did), but its another when you are trying to hurt someone on purpose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv1cBN8M-9I :laugh2:

I think the whole trying to hurt a guy thing is over stated, the stuff he did was an eyesore, but at the same time most injuries in the NBA are of mucle/ligament tears and those are more likely to occur when you try to pivot on a fast break, ect.

Iodine
01-23-2012, 10:47 PM
Aww poor spurs fan is butt hurt that Bowen was a dirty player and it's recognized.

Nah, I just don't find 1st grade humor funny

Chronz
01-23-2012, 10:49 PM
retiring jerseys isnt like the HOF, classy move for an unclassy player

WVNowitzki
01-23-2012, 11:04 PM
Nah, I just don't find 1st grade humor funny

First grade humor? No first grader would of been able to come up with that...lighten up, that's a funny and accurate joke and WOO WOO WOO - you know it.

Iodine
01-23-2012, 11:08 PM
First grade humor? No first grader would of been able to come up with that...lighten up, that's a funny and accurate joke and WOO WOO WOO - you know it.

What are you Dane Cook?

WVNowitzki
01-23-2012, 11:12 PM
What are you Dane Cook?

Zack Ryder and another thing...you said, I don't enjoy first grade humor. I want to know what constitutes first grade humor to you...have you never made a joke in your life?? Are all jokes besides yours so juvenile and beneath you that you say they are "first grade humor"? Is this how you feel about humor in general? If so you must be a real life Sheldon Cooper, nerd.

kdspurman
01-23-2012, 11:17 PM

It's easy to call a guy like Bruce dirty when your star is as soft as they come lmao... And I guess a guy like Jason Terry punching Finley in the nuts is A-OK by you right? :D

WVNowitzki
01-23-2012, 11:20 PM
Hurrrr Dirk's soft, yea yea. He's got a ring now, I don't give a **** what anyone says. I'm bullet proof to that and I'm not turning this into a Mavs vs Spurs thing guy. Everyone knows Bowen is dirty. This is about this guy thinking a joke is first grade humor. That makes 0 sense to me.

And yes I'm ok with Terry punching Michael Finley. Finley got punched in the dick because he was a traitor.

Celtics33
01-23-2012, 11:41 PM
He was a perimeter defensive monster. Every player hated being guarded by him some might call it dirty others might call it resourceful or efficient. His main offensive game was the corner 3. He was huge in winning their most recent title. That being said I would have never thought that they would have retired his number but good for him. Congrats Bruce Bowen.

Sadds The Gr8
01-24-2012, 12:19 AM
he had the best KO in NBA history

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ7WVaB9gDs

Celtics33
01-24-2012, 12:49 AM
he had the best KO in NBA history

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ7WVaB9gDs

That has to still be one of the funniest plays I have ever seen.

braveniler58
01-24-2012, 01:07 AM
Keep doing things that make me dislike you more, San Antonio. I'm loving it.

Giraffes Rule
01-24-2012, 01:42 AM
Hurrrr Dirk's soft, yea yea. He's got a ring now, I don't give a **** what anyone says. I'm bullet proof to that and I'm not turning this into a Mavs vs Spurs thing guy. Everyone knows Bowen is dirty. This is about this guy thinking a joke is first grade humor. That makes 0 sense to me.

And yes I'm ok with Terry punching Michael Finley. Finley got punched in the dick because he was a traitor.

How is Finley a traitor? He got amnestied and signed with a team that he could (and did) win a championship with.

Jenceman
01-24-2012, 02:07 AM
Retiring role players just seems odd to me. I love Rick Fox, Derek Fisher, Brian Shaw, etc. but I would never want their numbers retired.

ManningToTyree
01-24-2012, 02:07 AM

You are an awful troll. I mean you are not even good at being a loser.

ManningToTyree
01-24-2012, 02:08 AM
He was a lock down defender and a fan favorite. Makes sense.

Giraffes Rule
01-24-2012, 02:42 AM
Retiring role players just seems odd to me. I love Rick Fox, Derek Fisher, Brian Shaw, etc. but I would never want their numbers retired.

He may be a role player, but without him the Spurs don't win in 05 or 07, in my opinion.

MackShock
01-24-2012, 05:52 AM
It's about freaking time. What more can you say?

The guy be breaking ankles.

No, I mean he literally be breaking ankles lol....

MackShock
01-24-2012, 05:54 AM
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSdvtwaxwUTvRFF-ZVw-a4YSSwtix9I0ThXwx5mLvZiq_BpEAM1K5t5sqcTXQ

I thought Wally Sczerbiak was the only victim of the karate kid, but I guess I was wrong.

Why does Detlef Schrempf deserve this?

HoopsMachine
01-24-2012, 07:53 AM
Spurs To Retire Bruce "Lee" Bowen's #12 Jersey On March 21st

fixed

reference to Saddler's post above for more info

Mr Grim
01-24-2012, 09:25 AM
Zack Ryder and another thing...you said, I don't enjoy first grade humor. I want to know what constitutes first grade humor to you...have you never made a joke in your life?? Are all jokes besides yours so juvenile and beneath you that you say they are "first grade humor"? Is this how you feel about humor in general? If so you must be a real life Sheldon Cooper, nerd.

How about you actually post something thats funny instead of getting all upset that no one finds you humorous, sans for maybe one person who really just felt bad for you. You're about as entertaining as Zach Ryder really is......not really funny or entertaining. That fact you even brough up Zach Ryder shows that if that if humor smashed you across the face with a shovel, you still wouldnt be able to identify it.

kdspurman
01-24-2012, 12:11 PM

My point is, if you had Bowen on your team you'd have a different point of view. And I'm shocked your ok with what Terry did... :rolleyes: You're proving my point.

WVNowitzki
01-24-2012, 01:01 PM
How about you actually post something thats funny instead of getting all upset that no one finds you humorous, sans for maybe one person who really just felt bad for you. You're about as entertaining as Zach Ryder really is......not really funny or entertaining. That fact you even brough up Zach Ryder shows that if that if humor smashed you across the face with a shovel, you still wouldnt be able to identify it.

What I said was humorous, maybe just not to Spurs fans. Clearly I realize not everyone was gonna find that funny, but you cant deny that was clever. Also, because I quoted, yes...only quoted a guy - that leads you to believe he is the end all be all for entertainment for me and I know nothing about humor? Wow, someone is reaching for something to retort to me with. Don't you dare ever quote someone again, because whoever you do quote, you clearly know nothing about (insert subject here). Get outta here, moron.

My point is, if you had Bowen on your team you'd have a different point of view. And I'm shocked your ok with what Terry did... :rolleyes: You're proving my point.

Maybe, it's hard to tell. But this I do know, he WASN'T on my team and he WAS dirty. Facts my friends, like them or not.

Also, you're clearly proving my point that sarcasm and humor falls on deaf ears with you. Why would I want Jason Terry suspended (at that time), he was crucial and still is to the offense.

And to the guy who said wahh wahh about Michael Finley, that he was amnestied and signed with another team and what not. I get it, that's his choice...but he signed with the Spurs. That's the point. We hate them, therefore that makes him a traitor.

Hellcrooner
01-24-2012, 01:46 PM
this drives me crazy.

No matter how much success they gather no much how many rings they get, how skillfull they are , dirk, manu, pau etc, they get labeled as soft or floppers or waht not.

Man , this xenophobic stupidty has to stop, they are better players that all the no brain athletic thugs you want to talk bout , thats it, swallow it and go on with your lives.

Giraffes Rule
01-24-2012, 03:46 PM
And to the guy who said wahh wahh about Michael Finley, that he was amnestied and signed with another team and what not. I get it, that's his choice...but he signed with the Spurs. That's the point. We hate them, therefore that makes him a traitor.

:rolleyes: Sorry that I brought up how irrational you're being, carry on with your trolling.

THE MTL
01-24-2012, 07:34 PM
Really he gets his jersey retired?

loki34
01-24-2012, 08:16 PM
good for him...(still hate his guts)

Shortys4711
01-24-2012, 10:18 PM
Guy was as dirty as they come, Doesnt deserve it. Should have been a lock down defender by playing actually defence and not taking peoples legs out and trying to hurt other players on purpose, Spurs fans supporting what he did is crazy, If someone on the suns was like that I wouldnt be sticking up for them. I hate the spurs but have but have a lot of respect for Timmy D, Parker and Manu (besides his flopps) but Bowen is a straight up piece of sh**

NYKalltheway
01-25-2012, 12:11 AM
Played in the "wrong" generation for his style. Would love to see epic moments vs Jordan, Barkley, Rodman, Oakley, Larry Johnson, Anthony Mason, Karl Malone, Kemp, Reggie Miller, Pippen etc
Too bad he wasn't in the NBA early in his career.

Good move by the Spurs.

kdspurman
01-25-2012, 11:41 AM
Guy was as dirty as they come, Doesnt deserve it. Should have been a lock down defender by playing actually defence and not taking peoples legs out and trying to hurt other players on purpose, Spurs fans supporting what he did is crazy, If someone on the suns was like that I wouldnt be sticking up for them. I hate the spurs but have but have a lot of respect for Timmy D, Parker and Manu (besides his flopps) but Bowen is a straight up piece of sh**

So your gonna ignore the 8 years he played lock down defense because of a few questionable incidents? :facepalm: He was not a dirty player, and quite honestly, it seems like fans of those softer teams are calling him that (Dallas, Phoenix)

I'm being serious, the guy was a great professional, maybe some questionable things were done during his time, but there are several guys like that who have made some bonehead plays in their career. You don't discount all the success someone has had cause of it. The guy played 500 straight games, and always took on the other teams toughest assignment with pride. It's a shame more guys aren't like him to be quite honest.

Shortys4711
01-25-2012, 11:51 AM
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
So your gonna ignore the 8 years he played lock down defense because of a few questionable incidents? :facepalm: He was not a dirty player, and quite honestly, it seems like fans of those softer teams are calling him that (Dallas, Phoenix)

I'm being serious, the guy was a great professional, maybe some questionable things were done during his time, but there are several guys like that who have made some bonehead plays in their career. You don't discount all the success someone has had cause of it. The guy played 500 straight games, and always took on the other teams toughest assignment with pride. It's a shame more guys aren't like him to be quite honest.

kdspurman
01-25-2012, 01:56 PM
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

You'd think Suns fans would've grown up by now.. Some have, but clearly some are still bitter.

Shortys4711
01-26-2012, 08:33 AM
You'd think Suns fans would've grown up by now.. Some have, but clearly some are still bitter.

Its not about being bitter, if you actually read my post I gave the Spurs big 3 credit, Those 3 guys where amazing for the spurs. But no way in hell will i give any credit to a dirty pos player like bowen.