PDA

View Full Version : Has the NBA discussed tie-breaker rules for standings yet?

beasted86
01-23-2012, 12:29 PM
I know this is way premature to us even getting a playoff picture, but I was just wondering. There obviously has to be some strength of schedule (SOS) and tie-breaker rules in the course of this lopsided uneven scheduling.

For example, the HEAT play the Bulls 4x this year, but only play the Wizards 3x even while we are in the same division. Conversely, a team like say Philadelphia plays the Wizards 4x, and the Bulls 3x.

I specifically used those 2 examples because they could both potentially win their division, to guarantee them a top 3 seed, but what exactly are the other qualifiers if the standings are close? Do they still rely on ending record the same?

latinofire21
01-23-2012, 01:13 PM
Goes by conference record in east for your example. If thats tied then it goes by division record.

--23--
01-23-2012, 01:16 PM
^what he said

beasted86
01-23-2012, 03:33 PM
Goes by conference record in east for your example. If thats tied then it goes by division record.

^what he said

I seriously hope not. We don't even play division opponents the same amount of times. Ex: Bobcats 3x, Wizards 3x vs. Magic 4x, Hawks 4x.

^If that's not a strength of schedule discrepancy, I don't know what is.

I'm not as worried because I'm confident the Heat will win their division and be guaranteed a top 3 seed, but this really throws a screwball into how fair or unfair the standings will be in tie break scenarios or even 1 or 2 losses more in the standings. Not all teams in the same division are even on equal grounding.