PDA

View Full Version : Brad Richards disappointment up to now.

liltedspop
01-22-2012, 09:25 PM
Truth be told I expected more out of Richards point wise than i'm currently seeing out of him. He's currently 80th in scoring league wide, 3rd on the team at 32 points. He as streaky a player as I can remember seeing in a long while. I know he was brought here for more than just #'s, but to this stage in the season I'm not very impressed. LTP RULEZ!

thegame248
01-22-2012, 09:37 PM
Truth be told I expected more out of Richards point wise than i'm currently seeing out of him. He's currently 80th in scoring league wide, 3rd on the team at 32 points. He as streaky a player as I can remember seeing in a long while. I know he was brought here for more than just #'s, but to this stage in the season I'm not very impressed. LTP RULEZ!

While you may not be impressed, Im impressed by the impact he has had on this team. He is primarily the only "new" player the Rangers added this year. And to check the standings where we are now, compared to the same time last year is like night and day. Now while it may not all be him, I think a lot has to do with other teams having to respect his talent level and they cant just put out their best defenders against Gaborik anymore. They have to respect what Richards can do on the ice and this opens Gaborik up. While he may not be putting up the assists, he is on pace to surpass his season high in goals. Also forgot to mention the impact he has had on Del Zotto and Stepan.

nyr1980
01-22-2012, 09:51 PM
It's more the slump than anything else. He's only got six points in his last 16 or seventeen games, but was at near a point per game pace prior.

freddy686
01-22-2012, 10:15 PM
guess u missed all his game winning goals this year ..

fingerbang
01-23-2012, 12:01 AM
He'll go down as a bust only because the Rangers play such a conservative style. Don't think he's the reason why the power play sucks. He usually feeds off of power play points but the strategy just doesn't cut it.

notoriousbig21
01-23-2012, 12:26 AM
If it weren't for those big game winners he has had, this would be a much bigger issue. I hope he turns it around but I must admit I am a little disappointed thus far.

Rangers in 7
01-23-2012, 02:31 AM
the rangers are the top team in the league...and richards has been a part of it.....idc if he doesnt score another goal this year, if the rangers go to the cup who cares!

Rangers in 7
01-23-2012, 02:32 AM
not to mention hes been playing with sub par linemates at times this year.....give him a shane doan or bobby ryan and hes a 80-90 point player again

dashripdot
01-23-2012, 10:12 AM
Remember, he's a point-getter, not so much a goal-scorer, so a good deal of any dissatisfaction with his production has to be shared with his line-mates. Hopefully, they pair him with Hagelin more often, since he seems to be the only natural scorer the team has other than Gaborik. As for the powerplay, MDZ, although playing much better defensively hasn't been the offensive spark he was in his first season. They still don't have the bomber from the point who Richards can go to on the PP. I thought McD was shaping up to be the scoring defenseman this team lacks, but he hasn't been stepping up in the offensive zone as much as he was earlier in the season. Nobody else has a heavy shot from the point, so that diminshes Richards' effectiveness somewhat on the PP. Even strength he's only played on a consistent basis with Callahan, and they have had success. He played with AA for a bit, but mainly Dubinsky, and each has been far more of a "bust" offensively than Richards. I'd rather have an inconsistent Richards, who's still a threat to deliver the goods, than someone like Gomez or Drury, who weren't.

bsi
01-23-2012, 01:52 PM
He's given us two top lines to work with, we never had that last year, and while he isn't putting up big points, this system isn't really condusive to league leading scoring. If there's one thing I'm disappointed with it's that he hasn't fixed the powerplay like I had hoped he would. Without him we're still fighting for 8th spot instead of top place in the league like we were last year as he's been the only change we've had from this year to last.

saintant182
01-23-2012, 03:23 PM
basically what BSI said.. would also add that i think as much as he hasnt helped mdz in regards to the PP, which is still a glaring deficiency on our team. he has taken him under his wing this year and has really put him on the right track by all accounts...

he has so much importance to us though i feel, i think he is the best player on our team when carrying the puck over the blue line, also in regards to making actual plays in the offensive zone and not just board play like a lot of the guys tend to go to. he has raied cally's level of play for sure and im sure is also mentoring guys. so he does more than just get points

to me its a case of yes i expected more points but i also see his importance to this team.

IAmARanger18
01-23-2012, 04:45 PM
He has scored what 5 GWG's for us this year already? Or scored in a clutch situation? Also when he is playing with a non scorer like Brandon Prust,. what do you expect him to do?

NYR_NYJ
01-24-2012, 02:38 PM
Richards has had some big time goals this year but he has not been consistent and I have to agree that it's a little disappointing.
On the other hand I think he will come around and is too skilled to not produce more.

bsi
01-24-2012, 03:45 PM
At this point last year we played 6 more games, and had 3 less points and were in 6th spot in the East. This year we're in first place having played 6 fewer games with Brad Richards. I realize he's gone into a bit of a slump, but he'll come out of it. We are a much better team with him in the lineup, especially considering we've gone most of the year with AHL'ers on defense.

njnets
01-24-2012, 07:15 PM
his stats do not match the contract that he is getting. i think we can agree on that. he is still playing very well and is doing well in the conservative system that torts runs.

as i have stated before though, he has changed this team through his attitude and hard work.

i remember reading an article a little while ago about del zotto's progression this year. he basically said brad richards just keeps motivating him to work harder and harder every day, and that stats show. he is a really good player in the locker and brings good leadership to the locker room as a veteran player.

things like this do not show up on the stat sheet.

the only thing i am upset about is the powerplay. he was brought in to help that out, but overall, the team has been a disgrace when it comes to that. cant put it all on richards.

MJL80
01-24-2012, 07:18 PM
I wouldn't say he is a disappointment up to now... Although there's been a slight decrease in his overall point production (wish his assists were up a little more) this year, and the power play isn't what we expected it to be when we signed him over the summer, we would not be in the position we are today without his leadership and clutch scoring WHEN IT COUNTS THE MOST. He is going to pave the way for the likes of Stepan and Kreider.

BTW..... Just wanted to let you all know that I've been coming to this sight for yearsss now (Checking out the NYR, NYG, NYY, NYK forums, of course), but FINALLY decided to man up and create an account!!!! =o)

saintant182
01-24-2012, 07:55 PM
I wouldn't say he is a disappointment up to now... Although there's been a slight decrease in his overall point production (wish his assists were up a little more) this year, and the power play isn't what we expected it to be when we signed him over the summer, we would not be in the position we are today without his leadership and clutch scoring WHEN IT COUNTS THE MOST. He is going to pave the way for the likes of Stepan and Kreider.

BTW..... Just wanted to let you all know that I've been coming to this sight for yearsss now (Checking out the NYR, NYG, NYY, NYK forums, of course), but FINALLY decided to man up and create an account!!!! =o)

welcome... get involved!!!

RangersMets
01-25-2012, 02:57 PM
Ask Del Zotto what he thinks of Richards.

saintant182
01-25-2012, 07:33 PM
Ask Del Zotto what he thinks of Richards.

fact

i reckon he has a lot more on his plate with us this year than just simply being a rangers player

nyr1980
01-26-2012, 12:07 PM
The points will be there. The guy brings so much else that he can survive a slump and still mean so much and have tremendous value. And it's not just intangibles.

kmo429
01-29-2012, 10:35 PM
Its more than just points. Is 32 low for him? Yeah. But the Rangers, in my opinion, would probably be in 2nd or 3rd int eh Atlantic wthout him, cause every game has meant so much for all the top teams to this point, and with anyone else as this team's #1 C I just cant see them winning like they have been. Obviously its a team effort that has made the Rangers so great this year but you take away the team's best playmaker and it could have a big impact.

If anything, he isrealy only gonna play better int he 2nd halfand the Rangerswill be better becaus eof it, which is a scary thought

bigdaddyal1973
01-30-2012, 08:36 AM
There is a lot more to the game besides points

mlisica19
01-30-2012, 02:08 PM

Were #1 in the East, 1 point behind with a couple of games in hand from top record in the league.

Richards have brought maturity and experience to a young team, with a solid FO winning percentage and all in all has been a key component in our system.

Yes, he needs to help the PP more. But I am not blaming really the players, I am blaming the coaching. They have not yet understood that 1 man should be try to carry the puck into the zone, and their timing on entering the zone is so bad it hurts our scoring especially our PP.

When the team can understand how to properly be on time with its deliveries I guaurantee you this team can be the best in the league and Richards as well as everyone elses stats will go up.

Stats is not everything.

NYR_NYJ
02-08-2012, 07:15 PM
This is starting to worry me, he's been invisible for a while now. We really need him to start playing better.

jets1989
02-08-2012, 07:40 PM
He is not putting up pts like I would expect, he does make unoticed plays and handle the puck well etc.

All im saying is he CANT be playing with ruslon fetekano and boyle n co for christ sake.

I think richards and gabby would be great on line 1, I have enough confidence in cally and stepan on line 2.

Duby-Richards-Gabby
Artie or Hagelin-Stepan-Callahan
prust-boyle-fetekno
artie/hagelin-rupp-

bsi
02-08-2012, 08:07 PM
He is not putting up pts like I would expect, he does make unoticed plays and handle the puck well etc.

All im saying is he CANT be playing with ruslon fetekano and boyle n co for christ sake.

I think richards and gabby would be great on line 1, I have enough confidence in cally and stepan on line 2.

Duby-Richards-Gabby
Artie or Hagelin-Stepan-Callahan
prust-boyle-fetekno
artie/hagelin-rupp-

Nothing will keep you in a slump like playing with Fedotenko....why this guy is playing with anyone other than Rupp and Boyle just furthers my point that Fedotenko has indecent pictures of Torts. Dunno what he's tryin to do, he's been doin the same thing with Dubinsky, let them play stop stepping on their confidence. The lines we started with should be the lines we are using now
Dubi Richards Cally
Anisimov Stepan Gaborik
------and mix the last 2 lines up how ya feel------

Rangers in 7
02-09-2012, 12:14 AM
hes been invisible people because hes playing with third liners.....i mean i really dont understand what goes through torts head when he puts richards with prust and feds....hes hold richards back, hopefully krieder comes up and can start playing with richards soon, he needs to play with a scorer....i personally loved the line of cally hags and richards but of course torts changed it

dashripdot
02-09-2012, 08:36 AM
This is starting to worry me, he's been invisible for a while now. We really need him to start playing better.

Chances are he'll heat up at the right moment, whether that's during this stretch run or at the beginning of the playoffs or if Gaborik goes cold for a bit.

NYY09
02-09-2012, 03:03 PM
He hasnt fixed the PP because we just dont have the talent to be a great PP team. Yes, we shouldn't be at the bottom either but at this point it seems to be more psychosomatic than anything. Give him a winger than can bury a shot and watch his confidence and points skyrocket.

bsi
02-09-2012, 08:15 PM
They have to stop playing him with third liners....otherwise this slump is gonna last forever.

redwhiteandblue
02-09-2012, 10:43 PM
For all you Richards haters, that would be his 7th Game Winner of the year. Pretty high up there in the league.

Anyone else notice since Munn dumped him he's been playing, I don't want to say **** so much as just not as good. He'll bounce back and this could be something that helps.

J4KOP99
02-09-2012, 10:44 PM
7th GW of the year. 2nd overall in the NHL

jets1989
02-09-2012, 10:45 PM
I am a RIchards hater because he wasn't producing before! Great goal and great set up. Hope this will get him going.

NYR_NYJ
02-09-2012, 11:43 PM
Great goal, he needed that

fingerbang
02-10-2012, 01:40 AM
Richards has certainly made the team better but he still hasn't lived up to his potential. He's not on the same level he was last season. Hopefully tonight's game gets him out of the slump.

IAmARanger18
02-12-2012, 06:47 PM
5 points last 3 games, here he comes.

Rangers in 7
02-14-2012, 11:38 PM
hes officially out of the slump people

bsi
03-14-2012, 09:25 AM
No Richards haters around now? .....didn't think so.

Dernelle
03-14-2012, 01:33 PM
*****ards played 2 good games after playing a month of crappy hockey, but he is playing better now. Hopefully he can maintain that level of play. Still dont like the guy though.

IAmARanger18
03-14-2012, 01:48 PM
Guys I said this in the beginning of the year and I will say it again. Every1 is just looking for Richards to put up 80 points a year to not consider him a bust. But it has been the little things he has done on and off the ice this year that makes me appreciate him even more.

He has brought this team closer together, this team is more then not like a family then they are just a hockey team. He improved Michael Del Zotto's game tremendously and he has had a huge influence on Hagelin.

He also brought in the "Broadway Hat" as we like to call it, which is a tradition no other team does in the NHL. That is a sign of this team more being a family then just teammates. He provides leadership on and off the ice, which is why I like this signing more and more each day, and it is nice now that he is putting up the points we thought he would.

Isca92
03-14-2012, 02:58 PM
Iamaranger, the broadway hat is not something richards created. Last year pitt had the shovel, this year the lunch pale, and washington had the hard hat with all the players numbers on it. Im sure other teams have had it also.

bsi
03-14-2012, 03:20 PM
Iamaranger, the broadway hat is not something richards created. Last year pitt had the shovel, this year the lunch pale, and washington had the hard hat with all the players numbers on it. Im sure other teams have had it also.

Ya....but we didn't have it, he brought the idea to NY, and put our own twist on it. I agree, he didn't create the idea, but made it his own with th broadway hat, and I think it was something this team needed.

bsi
03-14-2012, 03:22 PM
*****ards played 2 good games after playing a month of crappy hockey, but he is playing better now. Hopefully he can maintain that level of play. Still dont like the guy though.

Ya....the guy is second in the league in game winning goals, he must have gotten them all in 2 games.:facepalm:

Isca92
03-14-2012, 03:39 PM
Bsi, he did bring it here but iamaranger said its a tradition no ther team in the nhl does.

IAmARanger18
03-14-2012, 07:06 PM

What I meant was what BSI said, we have not seen a Ranger team do something like that for as long as I can remember.

Isca92
03-14-2012, 07:43 PM
If thats what you meant oool, if you didn't know other teams didn't cool, I was just stating that he did not start a new tradition. As, for "bust" or "not bust", he has 8 more years to prove what he is and isnt. IMO, if the team does not win a cup in the time he is here, I would consider it a bust signing because his role was suggested as the last piece missing.

IAmARanger18
03-14-2012, 08:16 PM
Well in fact I did not really look into other teams doing something along the lines of "Broadway Hat" type thing really, because I could care less about other teams lol

Like you said its 60 some odd games in, no career or signing is based off that, and if u do then you have no clue what you are talking about in general(Not you Isca)

MJL80
03-14-2012, 11:48 PM
No Richards haters around now? .....didn't think so.

LOL!

BSI- Good call with reviving this!!!! Glad to see richards & gabby finally paired together and tearin it up..... heating up at the right time, and that's all i care about

njnets
03-16-2012, 02:30 PM
idk why people were hating on him. good bump of the thread.

gabby-richards-hags line is awesome as of late. problem is they are the ONLY one scoring goals. need another line to step up

IAmARanger18
03-16-2012, 08:52 PM
Hagelin has played out of his damn mind since being on this line.

thegame248
03-21-2012, 09:15 PM
Another end to end rush goal by Richards. He now has 24 goals on the year. Liltedspop is an idiot.

dashripdot
03-22-2012, 08:14 AM
The only rational knock against Richards this season would be inconsistency, but he more than makes up for that with the timing of his contributions. He's been money for this team and I expect him to increase his clutch performances exponentially once the playoffs start.

dashripdot
05-09-2012, 10:31 AM
Thought it might be worth revisiting this topic right about now, especially since I'm usually wrong.

runnermjr1296
05-09-2012, 01:40 PM
I really expected to see this yesterday

bsi
05-09-2012, 05:29 PM
This thread is rediculous now, haha

fingerbang
05-10-2012, 07:20 PM
Wasn't he a disappointment up until that point? Him scoring a game winner doesn't change the past. I don't know why this stuff gets bumped.

dashripdot
05-11-2012, 07:39 AM
No. He's streaky. He's clutch, but not every day. He had game winners and played well in spots before the original post in this thread. He helped develop younger players along the way. It took him awhile to pile up good games, and he's more consistent now, but it's not like he was invisible up until January.

yanksrock
05-13-2012, 01:42 PM
This was a typical knee-jerk reaction thread.

ShadyOne
05-13-2012, 01:49 PM
This was a typical knee-jerk reaction thread.

Disagree..

For a stretch, he was definitely dissapointing. Not saying he wasn't contributing an a number of ways, but he surely wasn't making the impact you expect a very highly-paid player to make. Towards the end of the season, he stepped his game up, and obviously in the playoffs, as well.

Which was exactly why he was brought here, so I think it's time this thread gets closed..