PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: Pacers interested in acquiring Eric Gordon

Fresno
01-21-2012, 04:57 AM
NBA front-office sources continue to say that Indiana native Eric Gordon is the Pacers' dream trade target, but Indy has yet to make serious progress in trade discussions with Gordon's new team (New Orleans), much like it struggled to get very far with his old team (L.A. Clippers). If the Pacers ever do make a legit run at Gordon, one presumes that they'd have to be willing to part with Danny Granger to bring Gordon back to Hoosierland, which figures to be more palatable than it sounds thanks to the presence of the promising Paul George.
http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-120120-22/team-usa-roster-london-olympics

Interesting.

I dont think Gordon wants to sign longterm with the Hornets nor do I think they'll match any Offer Sheet he may get this summer that pays him $13+ Milion per year. Their ownership situation/lack of stability in even being in New Orleans is a serious issue which made CP3 want out of there.

We know Boston, Cleveland, & Dallas will have a lot of cap space in need of a SG. Gordon's going to be a hot target.

Cal827
01-21-2012, 05:02 AM
Eric Gordon + 6'10 Paul George= Absolute End Game :faint: The God will finally have his general that will help him defeat the anti-christs residing in a place known as lob city.

Cal827
01-21-2012, 05:03 AM
But Seriously though, I'm kinda surprised they wouldn't pursue George in a trade, since he's a good prospect. Basically, they traded Paul, got Gordon, and now are going after another shooter, that's just like Kevin Martin lol

chicago lulz
01-21-2012, 05:14 AM
Assuming they would have to offer more than Granger. A younger Gordon vs an aging Granger? Franchise says...

Fresno
01-21-2012, 05:16 AM
This wouldn't be a bad deal at all.

Pacers:
Eric Gordon
Emeka Okafor
Keyon Dooling

Hornets:
Darren Collison
Tyler Hansbrough
Lance Stephenson
Avery Bradley
Jermaine O'Neal(expirer)
Pacers 2012 1st Round Pick
Clippers 2012 1st Round Pick via Celtics
Celtics 2012 1st Round Pick

Celtics:
Danny Granger

Pacers get a new Franchise player in Eric Gordon to pair with a young core featuring Paul George, Roy Hibbert, & George Hill. + Vets like David West & Emeka Okafor

Hornets get back Darren Collison(who they should've never traded away), a hustle PF in Tyler Hansbrough, & 2 high upside prospects in Lance "Born Ready" Stephenson & Avery Bradley. They dump Okafor's contract & will officially have 5 1st Round Picks in 2012 with $45 Million in Cap Space if they ever get an Owner.

Celtics get back Danny Granger who can be an amazing 6th Man for them in their hunt for a Title this year and rebuilding moving forward. Jermaine O'Neal probably gets bought out by New Orleans and returns to Boston too.

Fresno
01-21-2012, 05:24 AM
But Seriously though, I'm kinda surprised they wouldn't pursue George in a trade, since he's a good prospect. Basically, they traded Paul, got Gordon, and now are going after another shooter, that's just like Kevin Martin lol

Hornets already have a high upside SF in Al-Farouq Aminu + Trevor Ariza.

Anyways I think the Hornets need to flip anything they get back(Granger) and just stock up on 2012 draft picks. Tank while taking the Thunder/Blazers approach on acquiring assets in what looks like one of the best drafts in awhile.

Either way they really have no direction right now.

Their GM wanted vets so they could compete for an 8th seed and be stuck as a borderline Playoff team for a few years.
Stern over-ruled him and wanted young players so they could tank for a potential Franchise player in 2012.

If I were Stern(as Owner) I'd keep tanking.
Better to start from scratch before you move them to a new city after next year.

Fresno
01-21-2012, 05:26 AM
Assuming they would have to offer more than Granger. A younger Gordon vs an aging Granger? Franchise says...

Indiana's $14 Million under the cap so they could take on Okafor's bad contract as a way to even things out.

I know New Orleans hate having to pay Okafor his $13 Million salary when he producing 8 PPG and 8 RPG. :laugh2:

BigBongTheory
01-21-2012, 05:30 AM

Pacers:
Eric Gordon
Emeka Okafor
Keyon Dooling

Hornets:
Darren Collison
Tyler Hansbrough
Lance Stephenson
Avery Bradley
Jermaine O'Neal(expirer)

Celtics:
Danny Granger

Pacers get a new Franchise player in Eric Gordon to pair with a young core featuring Paul George, Roy Hibbert, & George Hill. + Vets like David West & Emeka Okafor

Hornets get back Darren Collison(who they should've never traded away), a hustle PF in Tyler Hansbrough, & 2 high upside prospects in Lance "Born Ready" Stephenson & Avery Bradley. They dump Okafor's contract & will officially have 5 1st Round Picks in 2012 with $45 Million in Cap Space if they ever get an Owner.

Celtics get back Danny Granger who can be an amazing 6th Man for them in their hunt for a Title this year and rebuilding moving forward. Jermaine O'Neal probably gets bought out by New Orleans and returns to Boston too.

why would the pacers give up that much? idk perhaps it's not a whole lot, i just don't see it with eric gordon..maybe it's just me. who do the pacers got at point other than collison, point guards are one of the more valuable pieces to have on a team.

Rndy
01-21-2012, 05:31 AM
lol Yeah I'm sure they are who wouldn't want him? Why the **** would they want Granger? They have a young potential stud to build around and and in a complete rebuild.

Korman12
01-21-2012, 05:34 AM
That was fast

shep33
01-21-2012, 05:35 AM
I think the Hornets messed up with the CP3 deal if this is what they're thinking... Granger is overrated.

You know the last 3 years, Granger has shot below 43%... this year he's shooting 33.7%.

Also that Minny pick is looking less and less attractive

BigBongTheory
01-21-2012, 05:35 AM
i'm having a hard time uploading a gif for a sig...hm perhaps im ********.

Rndy
01-21-2012, 05:37 AM
I think the Hornets messed up with the CP3 deal if this is what they're thinking... Granger is overrated.

You know the last 3 years, Granger has shot below 43%... this year he's shooting 33.7%.

Stern would never let that deal go down. Pacers aren't bad enough to make there draft picks look appealing to Hornets. They are way better off building with Gordon.

Fresno
why would the pacers give up that much? idk perhaps it's not a whole lot, i just don't see it with eric gordon..maybe it's just me. who do the pacers got at point other than collison, point guards are one of the more valuable pieces to have on a team.

Gordon was showing All Star potential with the Clippers.
He was putting up good numbers for awhile before he got hurt and still is only 23, but injury concerns exist too.

I think he can become a Franchise player tbh.

Indiana can roll with George Hill playing an off the ball PG with Eric Gordon handling the ball & running the offense at SG.

DeRozan10
The Hornets would not want Danny Granger. They are rebuilding. They would want Paul George. The pacers absolutely have the pieces to make this happen and they are 14 million under the cap. I could absolutely see some sort of deal revolving around Gordon and Okafor and George.

Fresno
01-21-2012, 05:42 AM
Stern would never let that deal go down. Pacers aren't bad enough to make there draft picks look appealing to Hornets. They are way better off building with Gordon.

Hornets dont have an Owner tho to make that final decision on how to build the team.

You think David Stern is gonna approve the Hornets matching an overpaid Offer Sheet that Eric Gordon is going to get from another team(specifically Indiana) this summer? Doubt it.

Knowing how these teams spend money, you can bet Gordon is going to get paid nearly as much as Westbrook in hopes he keeps getting better and becomes worth $13-15 Million per year.

Same thing happened with Joe Johnson when he went from Phoenix to Atlanta.

BigBongTheory
01-21-2012, 05:43 AM
Gordon was showing All Star potential with the Clippers.
He was putting up good numbers for awhile before he got hurt and still is only 23, but injury concerns exist too.

I think he can become a Franchise player tbh.

Indiana can roll with George Hill playing an off the ball PG with Eric Gordon handling the ball & running the offense at SG.

yeah, i checked on his stats, he shooting better than i thought he was, 42.5 still isn't great but he's only played two games. i know he's good but everyone talks about him like he's tim tebow or something :p

Fresno
01-21-2012, 05:46 AM

Hornets were banking on Minny's pick being terrible so they potentially could have 2 Top 5 Picks in what looks like a very good 2012 NBA Draft.

Instead, Ricky Rubio & Rick Adelman have different plans for Minnesota.

That pick might end up in the Teens if Minnesota keeps playing the way they are.

But we all know Stern decides the Lottery, so even if they have a 1.5% chance of getting a Top 3 pick, they'll end up with it in some "miracle".:D

BigBongTheory
01-21-2012, 05:46 AM
don't listen to me though, i'm half burned out...i'll be on this site another 15 years still fiddling, pondering how to make a gif my signature...got all the basics down but i can't come through in the clutch.

Fresno
01-21-2012, 05:48 AM
yeah, i checked on his stats, he shooting better than i thought he was, 42.5 still isn't great but he's only played two games. i know he's good but everyone talks about him like he's tim tebow or something :p

EJ can score and play good defense, but hes been improving on his playmaking as a passer too.

Hes going to be one of the Elite SG's in the league if he stays healthy and keeps improving on his all around skills.

BigBongTheory
01-21-2012, 05:48 AM
Hornets were banking on Minny's pick being terrible so they potentially could have 2 Top 5 Picks in what looks like a very good 2012 NBA Draft.

Instead, Ricky Rubio & Rick Adelman have different plans for Minnesota.

That pick might end up in the Teens if Minnesota keeps playing the way they are.

But we all know Stern decides the Lottery, so even if they have a 1.5% chance of getting a Top 3 pick, they'll end up with it in some "miracle".:D

i've thought that all along though, minnesota is a GOOD team...love, beasley, williams, rubio, barea is alright at times, brings alot of energy..i don't think their pick is going to be too high.

Fresno
01-21-2012, 05:50 AM
don't listen to me though, i'm half burned out...i'll be on this site another 15 years still fiddling, pondering how to make a gif my signature...got all the basics down but i can't come through in the clutch.

Upload the GIF to Imgur.com or Tinypic.com

Then copy & paste the tags with the GIF into your signature.

shep33
01-21-2012, 05:50 AM
Here's the thing with Gordon though, the guy is often injured. He's only played 2 games this year, he missed 24 last year and 20 the year before. I love Gordon, but without question he's got to find a way to stay healthy.

Fresno
01-21-2012, 05:52 AM
Here's the thing with Gordon though, the guy is often injured. He's only played 2 games this year, he missed 24 last year and 20 the year before. I love Gordon, but without question he's got to find a way to stay healthy.

Its mostly just minor injuries tho, same thing with Stephen Curry.

He hasn't had a major injury so far that might effect him and scare teams off.

Still young so he might shake the injury bug down the line.

shep33
01-21-2012, 05:59 AM
Its mostly just minor injuries tho, same thing with Stephen Curry.

He hasn't had a major injury so far that might effect him and scare teams off.

Still young so he might shake the injury bug down the line.

I agree, but looking at the two potential deals for CP3, I mean essentially they traded Cp3 for Gordon who hasn't played this year (2 games) and a minny pick that is not going to be that good. It looks pretty bad for the NBA and the Hornets. I'm not saying the Laker deal is better at this point, but even if the Hornets wanted to rebuild they could've had Martin, Dragic, Odom (expiring), Patterson, multiple draft picks and Scola (who could've been flipped for younger assets).

BigBongTheory
01-21-2012, 06:01 AM
yay, i think i got it....

BigBongTheory
01-21-2012, 06:03 AM
thank ya fresno.

BigBongTheory
01-21-2012, 06:06 AM
I agree, but looking at the two potential deals for CP3, I mean essentially they traded Cp3 for Gordon who hasn't played this year (2 games) and a minny pick that is not going to be that good. It looks pretty bad for the NBA and the Hornets. I'm not saying the Laker deal is better at this point, but even if the Hornets wanted to rebuild they could've had Martin, Dragic, Odom (expiring), Patterson, multiple draft picks and Scola (who could've been flipped for younger assets).

I think that would have been a better trade, for the right now obviously..As a laker fan the whole situation is a kind of bitter sweet, it was chris PAUL, but i love my man gasol, odom has played terrible this year, but it's not really a dropoff to me, i think it's obvious his mind is still in la, he still wishes he was in la.

celmxc
01-21-2012, 06:07 AM

stern will make that a the 1st Pick of the draft :facepalm:
seriously though, this is a good trade for both teams, Granger more experienced player than Gordon which is a good thing for the Hornets,

Rndy
01-21-2012, 06:08 AM
Hornets dont have an Owner tho to make that final decision on how to build the team.

You think David Stern is gonna approve the Hornets matching an overpaid Offer Sheet that Eric Gordon is going to get from another team(specifically Indiana) this summer? Doubt it.

Knowing how these teams spend money, you can bet Gordon is going to get paid nearly as much as Westbrook in hopes he keeps getting better and becomes worth $13-15 Million per year.

Same thing happened with Joe Johnson when he went from Phoenix to Atlanta.

lol yes they would. Stern didn't make that trade to just let Gordon walk. He made a trade that would make the Hornets look better to potential owners. His main concern is selling the Hornets.

shep33
01-21-2012, 06:13 AM
stern will make that a the 1st Pick of the draft :facepalm:
seriously though, this is a good trade for both teams, Granger more experienced player than Gordon which is a good thing for the Hornets,

But if they're rebuilding why take on Granger's 40 mill over the next 3 years? Kind of strange... I think this franchise won't find a buyer anytime soon.

abe_froman
01-21-2012, 06:25 AM
would be good move for indy,but dont see it happening

celmxc
01-21-2012, 06:35 AM
But if they're rebuilding why take on Granger's 40 mill over the next 3 years? Kind of strange... I think this franchise won't find a buyer anytime soon.

well... it all depends on Gordon, if he plans to stay with Hornets they would obviously keep him. If he decides not to stay with the Hornets the pacers have a shot at him because I think Gordon's family is located somewhere in Pacer Land LOL (Indiana ... i think ..)

as a business standpoint (basketball reasons) ... well that's for stern to decide :facepalm:

PacersForLife
01-21-2012, 11:26 AM
Unless we start struggling, I don't see us making any kind of big deals like this. Gordon has been injured a lot already this year. Danny doesn't always show it, but he has the ability to play like an All-Star when he wants. I am sure we will make some kind of push for Gordon this off-season, but wouldn't count on us getting him anytime soon.

nolafan33
01-21-2012, 11:28 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-120120-22/team-usa-roster-london-olympics

Interesting.

I dont think Gordon wants to sign longterm with the Hornets nor do I think they'll match any Offer Sheet he may get this summer that pays him $13+ Milion per year. Their ownership situation/lack of stability in even being in New Orleans is a serious issue which made CP3 want out of there.

We know Boston, Cleveland, & Dallas will have a lot of cap space in need of a SG. Gordon's going to be a hot target.

Wrong.

Shooting guard Eric Gordon said he’s willing to sign a long-term contract extension with the Hornets, who have until Wednesday to make that happen. But as the clock ticks away on that deadline, it’s also ticking on the timeline that is keeping Gordon sidelined with a bone bruise in his right knee that has limited the Hornets’ leading scorer to just two games this season.

Eric Gordon says he's 'very open to a long-term extension' with the Hornets. But he's been limited to just two games since coming to New Orleans because of a right knee injury, and the team might want to see more before making a long-term commitment.

The question begs, therefore: have the Hornets seen enough in two games, one of which Gordon made the winning shot, to offer Gordon an extension that would keep him in New Orleans for another four or five years? Or does the team wait until the season ends, and with a new owner in place, then possibly commit its resources to an extension, or just allow Gordon to test the market as a restricted free agent?

And will the Hornets be open to satisfying Gordon’s financial demands, whatever they may be?

Gordon, who was ruled out for two to three weeks on Jan. 6 because of swelling in the knee after his second game — a 40-minute outing in a loss to the 76ers — says he’d have no problem putting his name on a long-term contract with the Hornets right now.

“I’m very open to a long-term extension,” said Gordon, the seventh pick in the 2008 draft. “It’s all about having enough security to where I’m able to be here.”

Gordon said his agent, Rob Pelinka, has had ongoing dialog with the Hornets about an extension, and that the Hornets have expressed an interest.

“You know they’ve told me they want me here, they want an extension,” Gordon said. “But it’s all about what they think is the worth in me. They see that I’m capable of helping this team win, capable of playing hard every night offensively and defensively. Now it’s all about dealing with what I’m worth.”

Pelinka, who also represents the Lakers’ Kobe Bryant and Hornets forward Chris Kaman among others, did not return repeated telephone calls or respond to an email.

Hornets General Manager Dell Demps refused comment on the situation.

“It’s not something I want to talk about,” Demps said. “I’m not going to talk about the extension at all.”

There has been speculation from national media outlets that the NBA, which owns the Hornets, might be reluctant to burden a potential new owner with a contract that could approach $80 million over five seasons, the same sort of extension that Oklahoma City guard Russell Westbrook just signed, or a deal similar to the four-year, $61 million deal the Minnesota Timberwolves are reportedly offering Kevin Love. Westbrook was taken three slots ahead of Gordon in the 2008 draft, and Love two spots.

Gordon was the centerpiece of last month’s trade that brought three players and a projected 2012 lottery pick to the Hornets in exchange for four-time All-Star point guard Chris Paul, a deal orchestrated and approved by NBA Commissioner David Stern as de-facto owner of the Hornets.

During a teleconference after the trade, Stern was asked if the league, as the team’s owner, would allow the Hornets to negotiate a large, potentially maximum-money extension for Gordon.

Eric Gordon was the centerpiece of last month's trade that brought three players and a projected 2012 lottery pick to the Hornets in exchange for four-time All-Star point guard Chris Paul.

“The team is authorized to have any discussion that any other team can have,” Stern said. “And so the answer to your questions is it can happen with current ownership or it can wait. It depends upon the player’s choice. ... I have to sign off on all major transactions.”

Several other members of the 2008 draft class, notably last season’s Most Valuable Player Derrick Rose of the Bulls, have signed extensions beyond their expiring rookie contracts.

But the on-court success from those players, and the stability of the franchises involved, likely make it easier to justify the expenditures.

Last season with the Clippers, Gordon missed 26 games because of a wrist injury, and the season before that he missed 20 games because of injuries that included a groin problem and a viral infection.

Gordon said he has done no running or cardio rehabilitation since being shut down Jan. 6. He has iced the knee and received electric bone stimulation to facilitate, and hopefully expedite, healing. He’s due for another exam on the knee next week as the extension deadline looms.

Does Gordon believe the Hornets have seen enough of his ability and potential in the two games he has been in a New Orleans uniform, and his complete body of work, to commit to a long-term deal?

“They see what I’m capable of,” Gordon said. “They know basketball. And what I’ve done now is no different than what I’ve done before. I’ve just gotten better as a player as far as individually, as a late-game guy situation. I’m trying to find ways to help win games. If that’s what they’re looking for from me, you’ll probably see some sort of long-term situation here.

“I’d say starting next week (talks aimed at an extension) would be very serious and maybe have something down the line. And whatever happens, happens. I think both sides may be able to come to an agreement. But right now, we’re both comfortable.”

Lakeshow24KB
01-21-2012, 11:52 AM
i'm having a hard time uploading a gif for a sig...hm perhaps im ********.

Go to the graphics thread

Livnlargein305
01-21-2012, 12:34 PM
It'd be a nice pickup for sure... a young team like the Pacers could use a veteran like Gordon. Larry Bird trying to make some good moves!

KB-Pau-DH2012
01-21-2012, 01:24 PM
Stern will veto.

Sadds The Gr8
01-21-2012, 01:30 PM
They'll have to give up George...

Sportfan
01-21-2012, 01:32 PM
pshh, the pacers want PP!

PG FOR PP! Make it happen!

smith&wesson
01-21-2012, 01:52 PM
A trade involving the hornets ? lol

Raps18-19 Champ
01-21-2012, 01:58 PM
Who cares?

Stern will just veto it.

But if there was a deal, I expect something like Granger, Hill, Hansborough and picks for Gordon and Okafor.

VCaintdead17
01-21-2012, 02:09 PM

Pacers:
Eric Gordon
Emeka Okafor
Keyon Dooling

Hornets:
Darren Collison
Tyler Hansbrough
Lance Stephenson
Avery Bradley
Jermaine O'Neal(expirer)

Celtics:
Danny Granger

I'll pass on that.

JayW_1023
01-21-2012, 02:11 PM
Why would they meddle with the great chemistry they have now? Doesn't make sense, even if they could land a guy like Eric Gordon (who frankly, is not going to become much better than he is now).