PDA

View Full Version : Could Nash and Amare have done anything if they stayed together?

number1nykfan25
01-19-2012, 09:28 PM
I am really not sure. I think if they were more motivated to stay together and work together they might have been able to go somewhere. Nash always tries to get somewhere by himself. I think if he goes to the knicks it will still count as a ring if he gets one but it wont count as steve and amare by themselves because the have mello. typo error *done

GrapeSoda
01-19-2012, 09:33 PM
I am really not sure. I think if they were more motivated to stay together and work together they might have been able to go somewhere. Nash always tries to get somewhere by himself. I think if he goes to the knicks it will still count as a ring if he gets one but it wont count as steve and amare by themselves because the have mello. typo error *done

would you like to elaborate on that one?

number1nykfan25
01-19-2012, 09:45 PM
he had dirk left had amare amare left. think nash coldve done something so stay with one of them.

Nick O
01-19-2012, 09:48 PM
anything? yes.. but they couldnt contend... the defense on that team was atrocious

Ty Fast
01-19-2012, 09:48 PM
he had dirk left had amare amare left. think nash coldve done something so stay with one of them.

plus if he wanted a trade the suns would trade him

Ty Fast
01-19-2012, 09:50 PM
they could have won a few games and probalby rounds but i dont think they would have won a title. they had no defense and you cant win that way.

lakerboy
01-19-2012, 09:50 PM
Nash and Amare couldn’t win with the ff:

Allstar SF – Shawn Marion
Allstar SG – Joe Johnson
6thman of the year – Leandro Barbosa
Most Improved Player – Boris Diaw
DPOY Candidate – Raja Bell
Coach of the Year – D’Antoni

They suck balls. They had everything and still couldn't beat the Spurs.

Ty Fast
01-19-2012, 09:53 PM

Allstar SG – Joe Johnson
Coach of the Year –Antoni

cuz he has no D

bholly
01-19-2012, 09:55 PM
The way they played in 2009-10 they maybe could've taken another shot last year, but I think by this point the age would've been catching up to them too much, so it would've been one year of contention at best.

Also Nash is about the last guy about whom I'd say he always tries to get it done himself.

More-Than-Most
01-19-2012, 10:07 PM

Allstar SG – Joe Johnson

They didn't have everything...They had an offensive minded coach with no care in the world for defense...Outside of Marion/Bell they had next to no defense and nobody that could stop Duncan. The Spurs were a terrible match up for them and stopped them from winning a championship. Part of the reason Barb was the 6th man and Diaw was the most improved player because they played with a guy like Nash and last time I checked they didn't have JJ for very long.

I am not sure how you can honestly say they had everything when they were missing the most important factor all playoff teams tend to have....DEFENSE. You can get by with 1 player being bad at defense but not 4 of your 5 starters.

king4day
01-19-2012, 10:40 PM
If Nash goes to NY and wins a ring, it's not because they have melo and Amar'e. Clearly this year shows tha they need someone like Nash.
Nash is playing at an allstar level this year and could be the oldest PG (38) to make the ASG.

king4day
01-19-2012, 10:43 PM

Allstar SG – Joe Johnson

They had 1 year together with JJ and we'll never know what happens if he didn't break his face against Dallas and miss critical games against San Antonio.
Diaw improved but isn't a guy who you build around.
Bell is a great D player but is a role player.
We had the pieces but when we needed everything to fall in place at once, it didn't.
Injuries and bad breaks cost us at least one championship.

sunsfan88
01-20-2012, 01:47 AM
With Gortat, Nash & Amare could have won a ring.

Voodoo Alchemy
01-20-2012, 02:06 AM

Allstar SG – Joe Johnson

nor did anyone else, they won the title...whats your point?

5ass
01-20-2012, 02:24 AM

thats somewhat true... Gortat, Amare, Hill, Richardson, Nash. With a deep bench in Dragic, Barbosa, Dudley, Frye, Lopez they could be contenders. Too bad PHX didnt offer him the money.

Duncan = Donkey
01-20-2012, 02:34 AM
All those Phoenix teams needed was a guy who could the other team off the off boards and they would have a title. They could not rebound for ****.

sunnydayin'zona
01-20-2012, 02:38 AM
yes, they could have. they should have, but I don't want to talk about the BS that happened in the past.

also, in reply to OP, I don't think it's the same if Nash wins one with NY as like...Payton (had he won with the Lakers). I mean, if anything, this Knicks team is built to be steve nash's team, with Melo added.

If you needed a team to be build around nash, you have it in NY. Shooters, Amare, a primary scorer w/ amare, and a defensive center in chandler (which is what the suns could have used in their title attempts a few years back)

suns fans wanted chandler for a good 3 years to pair with amare and nash.

but honestly, they would need at least two GREAT defenders at wing and center to beat the spurs. they never had that. IMO (biased), they should have won that year of the fight. and so I hate the spurs

naps
01-20-2012, 02:46 AM
NO. No team will ever win a championship with Amare (no pun intended) OR Mike D'Antonie as a coach. I honestly believe it (Nothing against the Knicks or Knicks fans).

ramansingh3
01-20-2012, 03:12 AM

Allstar SG – Joe Johnson

You make it sound like all those players played together during that era of suns basketball. Johnson was traded for Diaw and Nash only played with Johnson for a season. Just the fact by saying "they suck balls" is a very moronic comment about a team that had the best record in the league and competed with the best until the departure of Amare Stoudemire. They swept the spurs in 2010 and took the lakers to 6 games in the conference finals.

mdm692
01-20-2012, 04:13 AM
NO. No team will ever win a championship with Amare (no pun intended) OR Mike D'Antonie as a coach. I honestly believe it (Nothing against the Knicks or Knicks fans).

what about alvin gentry =P.

But really the way the lakers played last year had the suns remained intact i dont think anyone could of beaten them.

abe_froman
01-20-2012, 04:15 AM
if they had a different coach during that time and more defensive minded players on the roster,sure

The Final Boss
01-20-2012, 04:34 AM
No.

ArmLaker
01-20-2012, 04:45 AM
By the time they figured out how to beat the Spurs, they ran into the much improved Lakers they faced into 06 and 07 and ultimately succumbed to them. Man what a slap in the face it would be to Suns fans if Nash helps NY actually win a championship with some familiar faces (D'Antoni, Amare, Nash of course) but its still a longshot

Evolution23
01-20-2012, 04:56 AM
yes, they could have. they should have, but I don't want to talk about the BS that happened in the past.

also, in reply to OP, I don't think it's the same if Nash wins one with NY as like...Payton (had he won with the Lakers). I mean, if anything, this Knicks team is built to be steve nash's team, with Melo added.

If you needed a team to be build around nash, you have it in NY. Shooters, Amare, a primary scorer w/ amare, and a defensive center in chandler (which is what the suns could have used in their title attempts a few years back)

but honestly, they would need at least two GREAT defenders at wing and center to beat the spurs. they never had that. IMO (biased), they should have won that year of the fight. and so I hate the spurs

So you think Nash will retire in Phx?

KingPosey
01-20-2012, 05:11 AM

He won one with the Heat...

JaJosoft
01-20-2012, 05:32 AM
Not with that team. Defence wins championships, and the Suns didn't have one good defence player in that year. (They still don't)

Duncan = Donkey
01-20-2012, 06:58 AM
Not with that team. Defence wins championships, and the Suns didn't have one good defence player in that year. (They still don't)

:facepalm:

3ballbomber
01-20-2012, 07:02 AM
Nash, Amare, Suns & NY will accomplish good things if they play some defense and even then that wont guarantee them anything.

Swashcuff
01-20-2012, 11:11 AM

Gortat is going and IMO is going to be better (if he isn't already) in Suns history but given the window and his progression I don't see that happening. They'd need a lot more still to be able to be legit contenders. Especially defensively.

Swashcuff
01-20-2012, 11:14 AM
Guys need to understand that unless a guy is named Bobby Jones, Scottie Pippen, Michael Jordan etc (in other words the elite of the elite perimeter defenders) there is no way he's going to anchor a team's D. Raja Bell and Marion were both solid defensively but in that system they weren't huge difference makers on that end of the floor and with Diaw and Amar'e on this inside you're bound to be poor defensively.

JJ_JKidd
01-20-2012, 11:56 AM
No and NEVER gonna win anything. Two talented players who dont want to play defense :facepalm:

king4day
01-20-2012, 12:03 PM

It's easy to say that when you follow a team by simply listening to critics.

Chi~TwnHawksFan
01-20-2012, 12:08 PM
those teams were freakin sweet. They were one of the most exciting teams at the time. Yes, the D killed them but if they kept the nash bell amare marion Barbosa diaw and johnson team around a little longer, then who knows. they even traded away rondo. so who knows what they could of done if they just stuck with it :shrug: