PDA

View Full Version : Players you feel are underutilized

kozelkid
01-19-2012, 08:49 PM
The title says it all. Basically, which players, given their talent and/or skill level do you feel are under- or poorly utilized. Be it because of the team around them or poorly used by their coaches. Here's a few that pop into my mind when I think of such players.

Nene Hilario: For a guy who is almost consistently at the top of the league at scoring efficiency, it completely shocks me how few shots he is given by Karl. Obviously, Karl still knows what he's doing given that Denver is one of the most efficient teams in the league, but I still wonder why he isn't used more in a two man game with Ty Lawson. I feel like he can certainly be deadly in the pick and roll and give a few more efficient buckets for that team.

Al Horford: Similar to Nene, I feel this guy should most definitely be averaging 18 ppg or so. I believed that he could have been a 18-10 player since he was drafted and I continue to wonder why he isn't used more in post up situations. Personally, I think the big problem is because guys like Josh Smith and Joe Johnson are taking shots from him. It's gotta be frustrating knowing that neither Joe Johnson nor Smith are in anyway efficient scorers. While Horford's ts% has consistently been near elite at around 58.5 %.

Chris Bosh: In his case, it's just a matter of too many high usage players in Dwyane Wade and Lebron James. Of course, both deserve to have the ball in their hands that much, but I can't help but feel disappointed that a guy who can easily be averaging 20-22 ppg on any other team and be an elite 2nd option in this league is relegated to being mostly mid range shooter. Granted he's a very good mid range shooter, but he is an elite shot creating big and it's disappointing to see him as a third option who is mostly shooting. This wasn't more evident than game 6 of the NBA finals where he was a ridiculous 7-9 and yet was not fed the ball more. Unfortunately, I saw this coming and it's unlikely there's anyway of changing this and getting more out of him while he's playing with Lebron and Wade unless one is injured and then we see the true Chris Bosh. I guess I just feel disappointed knowing that Bosh could bring so much to say the Bulls or Sixers, but is instead underutilized in Miami.

Feel free to point out any other player you guys feel is underutilized.

mdm692
01-19-2012, 08:52 PM
josh childress. Horrible contract great slasher and defender yet hes riding the far end of the suns bench.

Nick O
01-19-2012, 08:56 PM
bosh is averaging 20-22 :P and thats impressive to me seeing as he is doing alot of mid range shooting and he is still shooting 52% from the field.

kozelkid
01-19-2012, 08:58 PM
bosh is averaging 20-22 :P and thats impressive to me seeing as he is doing alot of mid range shooting and he is still shooting 52% from the field.

:eyebrow:

He's doing that with plenty of games already missed by either Wade or Lebron in all of 13 games...

I think (or at least hope) you get my point though.

fresh prince
01-19-2012, 09:01 PM
These all seem coach related

1. Evan Turner - He should be starting or at least playing over 30 minutes per game.
2. Austin Daye - He cant get off the Pistons bench..... really???
3. Andris Beidrins - Kwame ***** ing Brown was taking this guys minutes at one point and now with the Kwamster out he is still only logging 16 mins per
4. Johnny Flynn - Raking up the DNP's in Houston. Trade him to the Lakers Pretty pretty please!!

BigBongTheory
01-19-2012, 09:04 PM
Ben Gordon would have been an easy pick the last couple years, but his minutes are up there this year, but um, Derrick Williams,with Beasley filling alot of williams minutes, Klay Thompson, Kyle Korver, Chris Anderson, Timofey Mozgov, Jamal Crawford maybe? Him and Wesley Matthews have yet to put up a good game together, sometimes Crawford is on, but Wesley is off and the other way around.

NYKalltheway
01-19-2012, 09:04 PM
Carmelo Anthony
Amare Stoudemire
list can go on

BigBongTheory
01-19-2012, 09:06 PM
Portland is still winning, and is a very good team, so it's a good problem for portland to have regardless. but if they can both be productive at the same time, that team is going to be very hard to beat..

Kucka
01-19-2012, 09:08 PM
Greg Stiemsma, D-League defensive player of the year and not to mention he has knees unlike JO.

kozelkid
Ben Gordon would have been an easy pick the last couple years, but his minutes are up there this year, but um, Derrick Williams,with Beasley filling alot of williams minutes, Klay Thompson, Kyle Korver, Chris Anderson, Timofey Mozgov, Jamal Crawford maybe? Him and Wesley Matthews have yet to put up a good game together, sometimes Crawford is on, but Wesley is off and the other way around.

Last year, I would have said Ben Gordon as well. Unfortunately, he hasn't exactly shown up this season.

BigBongTheory
And as a laker fan i could probably put Gasol in there as well, Gasol's numbers don't show how great he has really been this year, I'd like him to get more shots and be more involved in the offense than he already is, although his numbers are still very good.

Ezio
01-19-2012, 09:14 PM
Jimmy Butler
OJ Mayo

BigBongTheory
01-19-2012, 09:15 PM
Last year, I would have said Ben Gordon as well. Unfortunately, he hasn't exactly shown up this season.

and this is true, but it's like ochocinco,:offtopic: has he really just dropped off this much, so fast, or is it the team that he's playing for? Patriots aren't using him, and it's hard to have much motivation or love playing for the pistons..Sorry pistons fans, no offense..But it's like javalle Mcgee on a fastbreak..He's gotta do something to keep from killing himself.

Iodine
01-19-2012, 09:17 PM
Alec Burks. Dude wouldnt be a downgrade from the corpse of raja bell

lkingratedr
01-19-2012, 09:18 PM
The 4 guys at the end if the knicks bench Jordan Lin novak and bibby

THE GIPPER
01-19-2012, 09:24 PM
kenneth faried

kozelkid
01-19-2012, 09:28 PM
Here's another I'll add. Not quite as talented as some of those guys I listed, but absolutely vital to my team: CJ Watson.

For some reason, unless Rose is out, Thibs makes Watson play as a pass first pg when Rose is taking a breather. This isn't at all Watson's game who is at his best driving in the lane looking for a score or else passing out as defense collapses and shooters are left open. It's no coincidence that every time Watson played when Rose was out for the game, he had big games because Thibs gave him free reign. I wish Watson was given that same free reign those 8-12 mpg every time he is subbed in for Rose. Would make our bench offense that much better.

NYKnicks4511
01-19-2012, 09:28 PM
Amar'e Stoudemire.

GrapeSoda
01-19-2012, 09:35 PM
OJ Mayo, I feel like the Grizzlies don't utilize him at all in that offense .. Marc Gasol I suppose too, everytime I see them play its give the ball to Gay Randolph and let them shoot

b_russ
01-19-2012, 09:50 PM
Alec Burks. Dude wouldnt be a downgrade from the corpse of raja bell

Yup.

ChiSox219
01-19-2012, 10:38 PM
Here's another I'll add. Not quite as talented as some of those guys I listed, but absolutely vital to my team: CJ Watson.

For some reason, unless Rose is out, Thibs makes Watson play as a pass first pg when Rose is taking a breather. This isn't at all Watson's game who is at his best driving in the lane looking for a score or else passing out as defense collapses and shooters are left open. It's no coincidence that every time Watson played when Rose was out for the game, he had big games because Thibs gave him free reign. I wish Watson was given that same free reign those 8-12 mpg every time he is subbed in for Rose. Would make our bench offense that much better.

^

Hellcrooner
01-19-2012, 11:17 PM
4 out of 5 dudes im thinking right now :D

CarniifeX
01-19-2012, 11:37 PM
Terrence Williams. He's a guy who can score, grab boards and dish the ball. Point forward if you will. I want to see him get 30+ minutes a game and see what he can do with it. Given time I think he can average 15/5/5.

NSJ
01-20-2012, 12:02 AM
Greg Stiemsma, D-League defensive player of the year and not to mention he has knees unlike JO.

D league defensive player of the year isnt saying much. Wheres the d league mvp this year? Steimsma isnt getting much PT for a reason, i hope its to get JO and the vets in better shape but I think its bc he isnt good.r

Gram
01-20-2012, 12:35 AM
These all seem coach related

1. Evan Turner - He should be starting or at least playing over 30 minutes per game.
2. Austin Daye - He cant get off the Pistons bench..... really???
3. Andris Beidrins - Kwame ***** ing Brown was taking this guys minutes at one point and now with the Kwamster out he is still only logging 16 mins per
4. Johnny Flynn - Raking up the DNP's in Houston. Trade him to the Lakers Pretty pretty please!!

There's a reason he won't get off the bench.

South Sided
01-20-2012, 12:47 AM
Ronnie Brewer - Chicago Bulls

mvb815
01-20-2012, 12:53 AM
andre miller, lou will

GunFactor187
01-20-2012, 01:09 AM
kenneth faried

This.

Sadds The Gr8
01-20-2012, 01:16 AM
OJ Mayo
Jerryd Bayless
Derrick Williams
Anthony Randolph
Evan Turner
Austin Daye

lilojmayo
01-20-2012, 06:29 AM
[QUOTE=Saddler The Gr8;20631848]OJ Mayo
/QUOTE]

OJ Mayo has been so limited that fans don't even realize how well he has been playing of late. he arguably has been the best bench player ( 6th man) in the entire NBA the last 2-3 weeks of the season. but his numbers don't show it because of how underutilized he is. Glad to see some fans are catching on.

Per 36 min in month of January

OJ Mayo

18.3 PPG 5.8 RPG 2.7 APG 1.4 spg 45.5% FG 46.4 % 3pt 73.7% FT

James Harden
16.4 PPG 3.6 RPG 3.4 APG 1.1 spg 46.2% FG 40.4% 3pt 86 % FT

PacersForLife
01-20-2012, 12:41 PM
Roy Hibbert.

Half Track
01-20-2012, 02:36 PM
Throughout thier careers: Mikael Pietrus, Antwan Jamison, Jarrett Jack (until this year), Will Bynum (solid role player), Mareesse Speights (give him time), Sam Young (eventually), Al Horford (I couldn't tell you why they don't give the man minutes) and lastly, Paul George (he's gonna come out this year though). And I agree with the guy who said Childress too, dudes a baller but can never get in the rotation.