PDA

View Full Version : Evaluating this year's point guards

Rentzias
01-19-2012, 11:59 AM
What's the best way to do this? If the end question is "Who is the best point guard in the league right now?" how do you evaluate that in the correct context?

Obviously, teams have varying offensive systems and personnel, requiring different things out of each point guard. One may be required to have a heavier scoring load, rebounding load, or a lesser or increased defensive role.

Metrics are a great additional tool, but I was wondering what other standards people here put when measuring (eye test, teammate production, wins, whatever) who the best point guard in the league is as well, and who you would list as your Top 5 of playing their specific role as point guard on their team would be.

redwhitenblue
01-19-2012, 12:01 PM
Kyle Lowry is quickly running up my list as Deron Williams is falling like a boulder.

Greet
01-19-2012, 12:10 PM
Kyle Lowry is quickly running up my list as Deron Williams is falling like a boulder.

Why is Deron Williams falling? He's averaging 18.4/8.4/3.4 in one of his worst seasons as a pro. Sure his shooting numbers are extremely down but what do you expect when the teams best offensive player is hurt. He's forced to take shots he's not comfortable with.

Rentzias
01-19-2012, 12:18 PM
Why is Deron Williams falling? He's averaging 18.4/8.4/3.4 in one of his worst seasons as a pro. Sure his shooting numbers are extremely down but what do you expect when the teams best offensive player is hurt. He's forced to take shots he's not comfortable with.
Right, the guy is chucking up (and actually making) twice as many threes as he normally does for his career.

Lowry is definitely putting up Paul-esque numbers, and it sticks out because of the rebounding disparity this year between those two, especially since Paul is an excellent rebounding PG, and the Paul-like steals numbers.

Greet
01-19-2012, 12:22 PM
[QUOTE=Rentzias;20621774]Right, the guy is chucking up (and actually making) twice as many threes as he normally does for his career./QUOTE]

He's taken the most 3PPG in his career so far, the Nets as team have shot the most 3's in the league by far (They've shot 390, next closest is 347). They're forced to take so many unnecessary shots because of the lack of post presence down low.

Rentzias
01-19-2012, 12:28 PM
Right, the guy is chucking up (and actually making) twice as many threes as he normally does for his career.

He's taken the most 3PPG in his career so far, the Nets as team have shot the most 3's in the league by far (They've shot 390, next closest is 347). They're forced to take so many unnecessary shots because of the lack of post presence down low.
He's one of the reasons I put this thread up; on the surface, his numbers look like @$$ compared to his career, but there are clearly other factors involved.

That said, where do you rank him currently, in a PG Top 5?

ghettosean
01-19-2012, 12:57 PM
I know a lot of people might cut me up for saying this but Jose Calderon is looking like he did a few years ago when the league was buzzing about him being a top tier PG.

I've been impressed with his play thus far and he is on some what of an under developed team which doesn't make getting the assist #'s too easy.

ghettosean
01-19-2012, 12:58 PM

Lowry is definitely putting up Paul-esque numbers, and it sticks out because of the rebounding disparity this year between those two, especially since Paul is an excellent rebounding PG, and the Paul-like steals numbers.
You can say he's chucking up shots but if you have no one to pass to really what else can you do. I won't judge Deron too harshly yet but if he gets traded to a contender and he still plays like this there are no excuses left.

LongIslandIcedZ
01-19-2012, 01:04 PM
I'm a huge fan of Rubio

Chronz
01-19-2012, 01:36 PM
Whats the OP's take?

rapjuicer06
01-19-2012, 01:43 PM
I want to say Rondo. I hate the guy, but he's so damn good. He's a pure PG, and I love it. He doesn't care if he scores a ton of points, he's unselfish and loves to get his teammates involved. Always hustles, plays both end of the floor. Just a stud. Lowry is probably number 2 for me

DaBUU
01-19-2012, 01:43 PM
The guy that is kind of an afterthought right now is John Wall. it's a shame he's with the Wizards, definitely not a place to cultivate his talent. It definitely shows with his undisciplined play. But if he ever gets a quality coach and the org. puts the right pieces around him that aren't basketball morons, I think he can still become top 3. He has so much talent, but is with a bad organization that's hindering him.

Rentzias
01-19-2012, 01:48 PM
Whats the OP's take?
I haven't been able to flesh out a "take" yet. Definitely with the depth of talented point guards in the past few years, it's one of the topics that has permeated this forum, and I'm always being exposed to new arguments and aspects as to who is performing the role of point guard best, and I'm trying to do that as well with as much context as possible, not just the player in a vacuum against other players.

For example, arguments about Derrick Rose taking too many shots being justified because he "doesn't have options on his team" which then imply that Russell Westbrook isn't justified because he does have a legit #1. By the same token, Deron Williams, as has been mentioned, appears to be having a down year, but again, in the context of what he has for a team, is this correct? By that same measure, what standards are you using to see if Kyle Lowry is the product of some sort of system (implying maybe Dragic's per 36 stats would be close to the same?) and to see if Chris Paul is performing normally in a different environment.

I don't yet have a take because I'm not comfortable with the base standards I have (advanced metrics for the PG, the teammates, the competition).