PDA

View Full Version : Is Dwight Howard Over rated ????

Kyben36
01-19-2012, 02:24 AM
Now, before anyone jumps to conclusions let me explain. I think Dwight is a very gifted player, and a very tallented player, Superstar no doubt, but what I mean is mainly his attitude. For as many gifts as he has physicaly, you rarely see him ever just push guys around. Sure he can grab tons of rebounds, but he seems to almost shy away from contact.
He is also a great passer, but it almost makes me wonder some times whether or not he is passive. for a guy his size, and his ability, he should be able to go in and make hooks, up and unders, just the simple moves look easy and unstopable, but instead, any time he sees another guy coming at him, he tends to pass it away to a jump shooter, while not allways a bad thing, isnt what you want to see all the time.
He is also what I would call a jokester on the floor, Look at Shaq, shaq was a great showman off the court, there are many instances of him cracking jokes, having fun, ect. ect. however, his demenor seemed to change when on the court, something I have never seen from Dwight, though he seems to take the game more seriously now, its still not the type of atitute you would like to see out of your star.
Finishing games is another key part to being a superstar, you put the ball in your go to guys hands, like Kobe, Lebron, Wade, and you leave it up to them, and for as dominate as Dwight could be, and as good as of passer he is, you never seemed to see him with the game winning shot,or even the ability to try to make a play.
And then, I would like to bring you to the last things I would like to bring you, and that is his FT shooting. for a guy who has been in the league 7+ years, would you now think that he could shoot above 60%.

My question remains, is dwight howard over rated, everyone acts like he is a #1, but could it in fact be that he is never going to be the best players on a championship team. just wondering if anyone has ever thought the same thing. no doubt in my mind he is the best C in the league, but does is he capable of Winning it being the head of a team.

Sadds The Gr8
01-19-2012, 02:30 AM
Skill-wise, I can see why people may think he's overrated, but value-wise, he's DEFINITELY underrated.

LA_Raiders
01-19-2012, 02:36 AM
Well, He is The sencond best player in NBA behind Kobe... IMO

Kyben36
01-19-2012, 02:38 AM
Well, He is The sencond best player in NBA behind Kobe... IMO

But how often does Dwight dominate a game the way Kobe, Lebron, Wade, Rose, can, how often if ever has he put a team on his back.

Sadds The Gr8
01-19-2012, 02:39 AM
But how often does Dwight dominate a game the way Kobe, Lebron, Wade, Rose, can, how often if ever has he put a team on his back.

last year playoffs vs the Hawks?

OaklandsFinest
01-19-2012, 02:43 AM
The game isn't officiated like it was when Shaq was in LA. You can't just bully people anymore, you have to have moves in the post (not that Shaq didnt). However he is not overrated, because if you ask me he very much so dominates the game. He anchors the defense in a way few have, everything on offense is open because of his presence. It's kind of like the Lebron factor, you alter or change the game just by being on the floor.

Raph12
01-19-2012, 02:52 AM
Now, before anyone jumps to conclusions let me explain. I think Dwight is a very gifted player, and a very tallented player, Superstar no doubt, but what I mean is mainly his attitude. For as many gifts as he has physicaly, you rarely see him ever just push guys around. Sure he can grab tons of rebounds, but he seems to almost shy away from contact.

Dwight is one of the most physical big men in the league, opposing centers guarding him often complain about how physical he is. When he plays against other centers who are physical (Perkins, Bynum, Pachuilla, etc...), there is usually a confrontation here and there because it turns into a real battle.

He is also a great passer, but it almost makes me wonder some times whether or not he is passive. for a guy his size, and his ability, he should be able to go in and make hooks, up and unders, just the simple moves look easy and unstopable, but instead, any time he sees another guy coming at him, he tends to pass it away to a jump shooter, while not allways a bad thing, isnt what you want to see all the time.

He passes only when doubled hard, he has often been critisized for being a reluctant passer, now he's passing the ball more than ever (with a career-high 2.5 APG) and people still have complaints?...

He is also what I would call a jokester on the floor, Look at Shaq, shaq was a great showman off the court, there are many instances of him cracking jokes, having fun, ect. ect. however, his demenor seemed to change when on the court, something I have never seen from Dwight, though he seems to take the game more seriously now, its still not the type of atitute you would like to see out of your star.

He has that type of personality, you can't ask him to change who he is. When he's only the court and that clock is going, he gives it 100% all the time and takes his job very seriously; that's all that really matters.

Finishing games is another key part to being a superstar, you put the ball in your go to guys hands, like Kobe, Lebron, Wade, and you leave it up to them, and for as dominate as Dwight could be, and as good as of passer he is, you never seemed to see him with the game winning shot,or even the ability to try to make a play.

They go to him a lot in the 4th when he's shooting his FTs well, if he's had an off-night and the opposing team is in the penalty, then they just put him in the pnr most of the time.

And then, I would like to bring you to the last things I would like to bring you, and that is his FT shooting. for a guy who has been in the league 7+ years, would you now think that he could shoot above 60%.

What do you have to say about Shaq, Wilt, etc... Guys with hands that big generally struggle to shoot the ball well from the line, although I will say that with Dwight I think it is more mental than mechanics.

My question remains, is dwight howard over rated, everyone acts like he is a #1, but could it in fact be that he is never going to be the best players on a championship team. just wondering if anyone has ever thought the same thing. no doubt in my mind he is the best C in the league, but does is he capable of Winning it being the head of a team.

If Dwight is traded to any contending team not named the Heat, he could win as the best player. Doesn't necessarily have to be the 1st option to win as the best player, those are two different things.

Dwight dominates the game on the glass and on the defensive end every night. His impact on those facets of the game are so large yet consistent. As for offensively, with only a 25.7% usage rate, how do you expect him to put up numbers like those guys offensively... Bigs need to be fed, they can't take the ball themselves like all of the guys you named.

5ass
01-19-2012, 02:53 AM
No, all he needs is a Granger/Iggy/Gay caliber player for his team to become contenders. He can definitely be the best player on a contender. If u look at his supporting cast..
Nelson (bottom 10 starting PGs in NBA)
J-rich (average)
Hedo(average)
Anderson(Good, but still not a top 10 PF)
You see why the magic struggle sometimes.

I agree about his attitude, he is childish sometimes and gets frustrated easily. I dont like that at all.

shep33
01-19-2012, 02:57 AM
I think he still has to improve on offense, but the guy is probably underrated. Defensively he's a beast, changes the entire game. I think when he's locked in mentally, you can make a case of him being the best player in the game.

nickdymez
01-19-2012, 03:44 AM
He was the best player on a team that went to the finals. Any team that goes to the finals is a Championship caliber team