PDA

View Full Version : Has Mario Chalmers become a legit starting pg?

Ill21
01-18-2012, 03:38 PM
This season has by far been his best season putting up very good numbers.

In 13 games his numbers are

fg% .543% with 8.1 fg attempts per game
3pt .548% with 4.5 3pt attempts per game
Assists 4.2 per game
Points 12.0 per game
Eff rating 14.4 which is top 12 in pg

Is he the guy that can put the heat over the top to win a championship?

shep33
01-18-2012, 05:06 PM
He's better than anything we (Lakers) have... but that goes for most NBA teams compared to us lol.

He's legit, I never understood the hate for the guy. He's a champion (NCAA), and plays good D, while having 3-ball ability

thekmp211
01-18-2012, 05:11 PM
put them over the top? idk about that. he should be filling the fisher role in miami for quite some time, and can be quite good at it. every team needs one.

haggis
01-18-2012, 05:12 PM
Define "legit".

daleja424
01-18-2012, 05:17 PM
He is a legit starter. No doubt

RLundi
01-18-2012, 05:26 PM
Legit? No. He's just like Derek Fisher -- on a team with superstars, he can be hidden nicely.

beasted86
01-18-2012, 05:27 PM
The Big 3 playing like the big 3, and our collective defense not breaking down will put Miami over the hump.

But for the sake of the topic, I'd say any player who can start on at least 5 teams is a legit starter. Not borderline start... I mean if he was signed as a free agent, he would be named starter immediately over whoever they have on the team right now.

I can't count 5 that apply to Chalmers. Heat, Lakers, Knicks (for now). That's all I can count.

seikou8
01-18-2012, 05:40 PM
:pray:
The Big 3 playing like the big 3, and our collective defense not breaking down will put Miami over the hump.

But for the sake of the topic, I'd say any player who can start on at least 5 teams is a legit starter. Not borderline start... I mean if he was signed as a free agent, he would be named starter immediately over whoever they have on the team right now.

I can't count 5 that apply to Chalmers. Heat, Lakers, Knicks (for now). That's all I can count.

til baron comes back hopefully he will be our savior save us baron davis:pray:.

kjoke
01-18-2012, 05:42 PM

Could also apply to the Hornerts, but then most teams either have struggling future pg (jennings, wall) or solid contributes (conley, ect) and stars.

Federal Reserve
01-18-2012, 05:42 PM

The Knicks have Baron Davis. Welcome to the NBA.

justinnum1
01-18-2012, 05:45 PM
Much improved from last season. Shooting much better, not committing to many dumb fouls. And he creates a lot of turnovers, deflections, steals. For 4 mil for the next 3years, its good value. And he's clutch.

beasted86
01-18-2012, 05:57 PM
Could also apply to the Hornerts, but then most teams either have struggling future pg (jennings, wall) or solid contributes (conley, ect) and stars.

Chalmers is playing better than some guys, like for example Devin Harris, but I'd bet money that he doesn't go to the Jazz immediately being named starter if they signed him as a free agent this past December.

So like I said, my qualifier is only guys that he would have been starter outright off of reputation and veteran experience. He's obviously starter in Miami, and I think he'd win outright because of his shooting and defense in LA, and I think he could have won the starting job outright over Toney Douglas and Shumpert to start the season.

But I can't say for sure any other teams.

Like you gave the Hornets as an example, but right now Jarret Jack is playing as good as Chalmers, and even to start the season, I don't know that he's named starter outright over Jack. He'd have to earn or eventually overtake the starter on the Hornets and the other 27 teams I can think of other than Miami, LA, and NY. Just my opinion.

xxcubs22xx
01-18-2012, 06:37 PM
He's a dependable starter,

but DEFINITELY doesn't put Miami "over the top"

theheatles
01-18-2012, 06:51 PM
he's def a capable and legit starting pg, and the perfect pg fit for this heat team...i laugh when ppl still think the heat needs a pg, we are set at pg...but a the heat having a legit center is another story

Lim
01-18-2012, 07:25 PM
13 games is not enough to determine this...

ColeTrain30
01-18-2012, 07:34 PM
Ask yourself, is Chalmers a top 30 point guard? The answer is definitely yes so that means he is a legit starting pg...

01-18-2012, 07:37 PM
I don't think he's a legit starter. But i feel bad cos i like mario chalmers. but seriously, when u think about it, there are a lot of Point Guards that could easily replace chalmers at the 1 spot on miami's team. He really is the derick fisher of the miami heat. In saying that chalmers has been playing good so far

01-18-2012, 07:38 PM
Ask yourself, is Chalmers a top 30 point guard? The answer is definitely yes so that means he is a legit starting pg...

tHere is a difference between a starting point guard, and a 'legit' starting point guard..

ColeTrain30
01-18-2012, 07:41 PM
tHere is a difference between a starting point guard, and a 'legit' starting point guard..

legit basically means real. There are 30 starting PGs in the league, what are some of them fake?

davids22
01-18-2012, 08:09 PM
If he is a top 30 PG in the league then yes he is a legit starter.

Now whether he is in-disposable is a different story. For what the Heat do and how they play, he's a perfect fit. Can hit the 3 very nicely, knows his role, etc. He's the Derrick Fisher of the Heat and will most likely be there for the entire Big 3's run. I thought Norris Cole had flashes of being a starter for the Heat, but he's more of a energy/spark guy off of the bench that the Heat need in their 2nd unit.

Korman12
01-18-2012, 08:34 PM
'Legit' is subjective. It could mean NBA starter, which he is, or guy you'd definitely take over a crop of other starters in the league.

If it's the second version, which I believe in, then not really. How many teams outside of LAL and MIA would like him as a starter?

Knicks21
01-18-2012, 08:46 PM
I'd like to see him on another team, his stats are defiantly inflated but by how much.

thekmp211
01-18-2012, 09:33 PM
point guard is also the most stacked position in the league.

SportsFanatic10
01-18-2012, 09:35 PM
his shooting is the best its been yet and hes making less careless mistakes (fouls/turnovers). but hes still not the greatest ball handler for a point and thats why so many teams full court press him when hes trying to carry it up the court. luckily its not that big a deal with lebron and wade on the team. also i find him slow on defense but his gambles do often pay off with steals. he can be very frusterating at times and very good as well. i'd like to see more consistency. overall i think he fits in nicely with this team but i'm not sure how legit he'd be as a starter on most nba teams.

JasonJohnHorn
01-18-2012, 09:38 PM
The Heat are going to lose the PG match-up against most playoff teams. There is no getting around that. They are also going to lose the center match up. Its just a fact. the question is will LBJ, Wade and Bosh dominate their respective positions enough to compensate.

Chalmbers is in the NBA, so yeah, he's a great player. He wouldn't be starting in the league if he wasnt, but there are likely 25 PGs in the league the Heat would rather have than him.

GrapeSoda
01-18-2012, 09:42 PM
Is he a legit PG? Yes I would say so but he is nothing more than a role player and in my opinion he is certainly not going to put them over the top

BigBongTheory
01-18-2012, 09:50 PM
13 games is not enough to determine this...
Hey lim, everytime i see you post i have to rub one out. ease up on the posting. :(

Bruno
01-18-2012, 10:10 PM
i'd say yes. hes been very efficient, is maximizing his touches and opportunities and his advanced stats support that.

SHONIE
01-18-2012, 10:15 PM
Nash
Rose
Rondo
Westbrook
Wall
Rubio
CP3
Deron Williams
Parker
Lowry
Calderon
Felton
Conley
Lawson
Nelson
Miller
Collison
Jennings
Sessions
Harris
Teague
Irving
Evans
Lou Williams
Knight
Walker
Lawson
Conley
Felton
Augustin
Jack
Dragic
Douglas
Davis

34 point guards I'd start over him.

#illegit.

still, heat are lookin nice and should win this yr... (boston fan)

Heatfanforlife1
01-25-2012, 09:52 PM
I wouldnt say hes legit but he definitely serves his purpose. He hits shots when he needs to and he ball handles when he needs too. Not much more you can ask from the guy.

Birdmannn
01-25-2012, 10:37 PM
Nash
Rose
Rondo
Westbrook
Wall
Rubio
CP3
Deron Williams
Parker
Lowry
Calderon
Felton
Conley
Lawson
Nelson
Miller
Collison
Jennings
Sessions
Harris
Teague
Irving
Evans
Lou Williams
Knight
Walker
Lawson
Conley
Felton
Augustin
Jack
Dragic
Douglas
Davis

34 point guards I'd start over him.

#illegit.

still, heat are lookin nice and should win this yr... (boston fan)

You must be smoking with BigBongTheory...