PDA

View Full Version : Dwight's Shots?

JasonJohnHorn
01-17-2012, 06:19 PM
I realize they won, and that Anderson had the hot hand, but seriously, why is Anderson get more than three times as many shots as Dwight? Turk is getting more shots. Nelson and Redick get more shots. Hell, even Glen Davis got more shots that Dwight?

Seriously?

This has been a regular occurance for this team, inferior players getting the ball more, while Dwight usually has to earn half his shot on the offensive glass for crying out loud! I realize that Dwight is on the trading block, but he's not pulling a Vince-Carter here and mailing it in, and missing free-throws on purpose, or telling opponents what plays they are going to run. He's busting his @$$ off every night. Give him the fawking ball already!

NYKalltheway
01-17-2012, 06:32 PM
edit

smiddy012
01-17-2012, 06:36 PM
Orlando's trying to impress Dwight. Ditto.

ManRam
01-17-2012, 06:37 PM
None of the above...

ManRam
01-17-2012, 06:40 PM
His shots aren't down all that much this year, and are still well-above his career average. If you factor in the amounts of time he is blatantly fouled, and pretend those were FG attempts, he'd be sitting at probably 15-16 shots a game, which is a good number for him.

He's also passing out of double and triple teams more this year.

He needs more touches, I won't disagree, but we are NOT best when we are forcing the ball into him and watching him go. We are best when we use the inside/outside game with him, when we're having him get involved in the P&R and when we are running plays to get him good looks....again, NOT forcing it into him.

The offense has been the most efficient (best ORtg) in the NBA...not a lot to complain about.

Lakeshow24KB
01-17-2012, 06:49 PM
Na man na....:facepalm:

ManRam
01-17-2012, 07:02 PM
I'm sitting here trying to think which answer to click, and I can't think of one.

Because Glen Davis is the future for Orladno Umm...no
'cause he's on the trading block. Ummm...no. They want to win, and like you said, he is playing hard.
Because everybody's a ball hog. Nah. They have, at least did a few days ago, as many players with 2+ assists as any team in the league. They love shooting, but they all move the ball well.
Becuase VanGundy is an idiot. While he's never been labeled an offensive genius, I don't think it's on him...maybe just slightly. But he's certainly not an idiot.

Dwight doesn't always like to body up and get physical to establish position on offense. We don't force feed it to him, and nor should we. It's just how it all works out in the flow of the offense. Last year, we were worse off when he shot the ball 15+ times than we were when he shot it 14 or fewer times...

mightymouse407
01-17-2012, 07:03 PM
Ummmmm maybe ur not a magic fan or a Dwight fan but Dwight has 2 legitamate post moves that makes it pretty hard 2get a lot of shots when u don't have a lot of moves. Plus why wouldn't Ryan Anderson or anyone else not take a wide open shot when they double Dwight and he kicks it out to them, and when we try 2 force the ball 2 Dwight we usually end up turning the ball over

shep33
01-17-2012, 07:04 PM
He should touch it everytime down with the shooters he's got around him.

mvb815
01-17-2012, 07:08 PM
He should touch it everytime down with the shooters he's got around him.

+1

especially if he's passing out of the double teams more this year

Federal Reserve
01-18-2012, 12:05 AM
Have you ever seen Howard play offense? The guy is terrible. Unless he is given a good pass, he can't score to save his life.

MagicBucsSox
01-18-2012, 12:08 AM
Have you ever seen Howard play offense? The guy is terrible. Unless he is given a good pass, he can't score to save his life.

This isn't '08 anymore. Try watching a game

NSJ
01-18-2012, 12:29 AM
This isn't '08 anymore. Try watching a game

He's definitely still lacking in the offense department and you can't deny that. He may have improved but that's not saying a lot. There's still a ton of improvement left to be made for dwight

ee
01-18-2012, 12:34 AM
this is stupid thread.....well just the selections.....Dwight is surrounded with shooters that compliment his game.....With a player like Howard, everyone will get their shots.....

Hustlenomics
01-18-2012, 12:44 AM
the last two options

beasted86
01-18-2012, 12:57 AM
Howard gets plenty of shots.... at the FT line.

Just remember, he leads the league in FTA. His FGA don't dictate how many shots he actually gets.

seikou8
01-18-2012, 12:59 AM
ummm he get double team everytime he is posting up and like a smart player he kicks it out a magic player gets a wid open three.

Raph12
01-18-2012, 04:26 AM
This has been the case with Dwight since he was drafted; came onto a team with Steve Francis, Grant Hill, Cutino Mobley, Jameer Nelson and DeShawn Stevenson; Dwight was the fifth, sometimes sixth, option on the team... He never had the room he needed to let his offensive game grow, whether or not he had the moves, he would've progressed a lot faster if they gave him more freedom on that end.

Stan has been quoted saying he'd rather play a more "well-balanced" offensive attack, rather than continue to feed one player.

Raph12
01-18-2012, 04:38 AM

He's definitely still lacking in the offense department and you can't deny that. He may have improved but that's not saying a lot. There's still a ton of improvement left to be made for dwight

Wrong. Dwight shoots 54.7% in post plays, highest of anyone in the league that produce anywhere near as much as he does. He's been the most efficient/productive player in the post for the last two years and has only gotten better. This year he is passing the ball a lot better as well, no longer reluctant to dish the ball and it has resulted in a career-high for apg (2.5)... Stop living in 2004-2009, times have changed and Dwight's offensive game is much better.

Howard gets plenty of shots.... at the FT line.

Just remember, he leads the league in FTA. His FGA don't dictate how many shots he actually gets.

Wrong. Take out his 39FT game where he was constantly hacked and his FTA go down significantly (Lebron and Love would rank ahead) and his USG rate is still very low for a franchise player, at 25.7% (not even in the Top 20).

LAKobeBryant
01-18-2012, 12:00 PM
Howard has no post game or midrange game at all. He can't do anything in the low post, he's not a true big man

RLundi
01-18-2012, 12:11 PM
Howard has no post game or midrange game at all. He can't do anything in the low post, he's not a true big man

:win: :win: :win: :win: :win:

Oh! Ladies and gentlemen, he's done it! He's done it!! This is officially the single worst post in the history of the modern era!!!

beasted86
01-18-2012, 12:22 PM
Wrong. Take out his 39FT game where he was constantly hacked and his FTA go down significantly (Lebron and Love would rank ahead) and his USG rate is still very low for a franchise player, at 25.7% (not even in the Top 20).

How am I wrong? Did the game not happen? Were we both simultaneously imagining watching a game?

Howard leads the league in FTAs... Fact.

It's also a fact the team goes away from him in the 4th with the game on the line out of fear of him getting fouled and missing pivotal free throws. That lowers his usg rate as well.

mightymouse407
01-18-2012, 12:49 PM
Come on Ralph12 let's get serious 54% LOL 75% of his shots made r dunks u can't really say he's much better he's better but let's not get crazy here dwight still has a long way to go on the offensive end u have 2 be able to do more then dunks,alley oops,n his lil runnin hook which he's not that good at

daleja424
01-18-2012, 12:55 PM
You have to look at usage...not FGAs. A lot of teams dig down hard or outright double team Howard. When that happens it is his job to find guys like Anderson with open looks. Also, Dwight has been shooting a ton of FTs.

Overall, his usage% is around 26%, which is right on par with is career number, and falls in the top 40 in the league.

I personally think his usage should be closer to 35% (so I agree he is underused), but just looking at FGAs as a measure isn't really a good way to determine if a guy is getting enough touches.

Raph12
01-18-2012, 01:17 PM
How am I wrong? Did the game not happen? Were we both simultaneously imagining watching a game?

Howard leads the league in FTAs... Fact.

It's also a fact the team goes away from him in the 4th with the game on the line out of fear of him getting fouled and missing pivotal free throws. That lowers his usg rate as well.

That game was hack-a-Dwight, it was NOT the Magic running plays for him smart guy, so saying he gets a lot of touches because he leads the league in FTA is stupid.

Why would they go away from him in the 4th unless they are in the bonus? They go to him a lot, until those 5 fouls burn out, they feed him more in the fourth than most other quarters (he's had three games this season with 10+pts in the 4th).

Come on Ralph12 let's get serious 54% LOL 75% of his shots made r dunks u can't really say he's much better he's better but let's not get crazy here dwight still has a long way to go on the offensive end u have 2 be able to do more then dunks,alley oops,n his lil runnin hook which he's not that good at

Raph not Ralph

And I'm not pulling the stats out of my ***, it's a proven fact.

http://i40.tinypic.com/20g037k.jpg
http://tinypic.com/r/20g037k/5

Taken from SynergySports, do your homework before you step up son, you're just embarassing yourself.

mightymouse407
01-19-2012, 11:28 AM
Ok Raph guess your a internet gangster do your homework before you step up LMAO guess you have plenty of time to surf the internet for stats doesn't change the fact that he's not the offensive threat your making him out to be. Doesn't matter either way cuz Dwights bithc a$s won't be here next yr