PDA

View Full Version : Celtics blowup comin soon?

avon_barksdale
01-17-2012, 04:30 PM
just seen this on yahoo

As Kevin Garnett and Allen become free agents this summer, money will peel away from the salary cap. Between then and now, the bigger question promises to be: Does ownership and general manager Danny Ainge go for the complete rebuild and trade Pierce before the March 15 deadline? Several contending teams have inquired about Pierce’s availability. As one Eastern Conference official said, there are “lots of calls asking if [Boston] will blow it up.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AjdSg83S0D9L8gC290Shyua8vLYF?slug=aw-wojnarowski_kendrick_perkins_thunder_celtics_nba_0 11712

iggypop123
01-17-2012, 04:35 PM
doubt they do it but they should.

sep11ie
01-17-2012, 04:46 PM
Pierce to Houston.

MTL_123
01-17-2012, 04:48 PM
no way they trade pierce everyone else maybe

unwantedplayer
01-17-2012, 04:49 PM
i can only hope

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-17-2012, 04:51 PM
Allen to the lakers

B'sCeltsPatsSox
01-17-2012, 04:52 PM
I really hope so.

Method28
01-17-2012, 04:53 PM
Bledsoe for Allen? :)

young pg under rookie contract for an aging washed up vet? (he's not but you gotta try to sell it lol)

Silent
01-17-2012, 04:57 PM

young pg under rookie contract for an aging washed up vet? (he's not but you gotta try to sell it lol)

Contracts don't match

bigsams50
01-17-2012, 04:58 PM
If they can get a high pick in this coming draft i think they should do it

RLundi
01-17-2012, 04:59 PM
They should. Their original plan was to trade Rondo for CP3 and desperately try to sign Dwight in free agency next, but neither of those are likely to happen anymore.

And it's not like Boston is exactly a hotbed or desirable place for free agents or anything, so trading the former big 3 would be the ideal way to go.

king4day
01-17-2012, 05:00 PM
If Phoenix is to compete, trading for KG would be the only thing that makes sense.
But I don't know what Boston would want.
For PHX to compete WITH Garnett, we can't dump Nash or Gortat.

Method28
01-17-2012, 05:01 PM
Contracts don't match

Duh!!! :facepalm: I didnt even think about that.

Could be because im at work and constantly looking over my shoulder to make sure the IT guy doesnt block PSD :D

smith&wesson
01-17-2012, 05:02 PM
I think pierce will retire a celtic. i also think that boston should package allen and kg together to get a nice return ..

B'sCeltsPatsSox
01-17-2012, 05:02 PM
If Phoenix is to compete, trading for KG would be the only thing that makes sense.

Probably a first rounder I guess:shrug:

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-17-2012, 05:03 PM

look at allen's numbers he's far from washed up

bigsams50
01-17-2012, 05:06 PM
what would KG's value be across the league at this point? The man is basically done. Which sucks to say because he is my fav. player :(

akesh99
01-17-2012, 05:11 PM
Ray Allen for OJ Mayo

darrenstover23
01-17-2012, 05:20 PM
look at allen's numbers he's far from washed up

Yeah, but with his age and this being such a meatgrinder of a season, it's far from guaranteed that he'll be doing this at the end of the season.

ZHawk1123
01-17-2012, 05:22 PM
Ray Allen for OJ Mayo

I've been saying this one for a while as well.

smith&wesson
01-17-2012, 05:25 PM
kg and allen maybe a shell of their former selves. but they are still quality players that can help teams in this league. they arent completly washed up and i think they still have alot to offer as role players.

Sportfan
01-17-2012, 05:28 PM
what would KG's value be across the league at this point? The man is basically done. Which sucks to say because he is my fav. player :(

I disagree, the days of KG leading the team with 20/10 games are over, but as a role player KG can be deadly, he's still a great defender and has a very nice jumper. 25 min as a 3rd-4th option he can be very valuable

MILLERHIGHLIFE
01-17-2012, 05:48 PM
As a Bucks fan. I wouldn't mind Ray Allen back.

bigsams50
01-17-2012, 05:50 PM
I disagree, the days of KG leading the team with 20/10 games are over, but as a role player KG can be deadly, he's still a great defender and has a very nice jumper. 25 min as a 3rd-4th option he can be very valuable

Maybe its just me being a little harsh cause i was used to seeing prime KG for so many years in Minny

BSF101
01-17-2012, 05:52 PM
Would love to see Steve Nash in Boston. The guy deserves a championship.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
01-17-2012, 05:53 PM

Why the hell would we take Steve Nash and what makes you think we're winning a championship this season?

Cfrey
01-17-2012, 06:00 PM
whats up with the ppl from terrible teams wanting these players??/

it makes no sense for anyone but contenders to trade for KG/Pierce/Allen

Rockice_8
01-17-2012, 06:02 PM
I'd play it out this year, they could still make some noise in the playoffs. In the off season let KG and Allen go and look to trade Pierce and Rondo. You should be able to get solid return for both, hopefully high picks/young players to start the rebuild

So to answer your question Yes they should but not yet.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
01-17-2012, 06:03 PM

Ssh! Maybe they'll be dumb enough to trade the Celtics their first rounder this season.

lkingratedr
01-17-2012, 06:07 PM
if i were the knicks i would sign them in the off season do a sign and trade with boston send them a pick balkman and fields lol

YoungOne
01-17-2012, 06:11 PM

capspace next year..

iggypop123
01-17-2012, 06:12 PM
any trade would be tough. They want to maintain cap room. Not take on. both allen and kg are expiring. Unless they get relief they are fine just letting them expire. Don't know how big the Lakers trade exception is but a Allen to la for a first rounder could happen, of course if the Celtics are fine with h3lping the Lakers. They would save 10 million + luxury tax payments and have a pick to play with

bringinwood
01-17-2012, 06:13 PM

When are people going to understand that Nash isn't going anywhere...

IFFFF he were going to get traded, he would have been dealt 2 years ago when his value was twice what it is now...

D12 fan
01-17-2012, 06:14 PM
Philly should be all over this:

Turner,Brand,Meeks for KG,Allen

Philly
pg:Holiday,Lou
sg:Allen
sf:Iggy,Nocioni
pf:KG,Young
c:Hawes,Battie

Boston
pg:Rondo,Dooling
sg:Turner,Daniels
sf:Pierce,Pietrus
pf:Brand,Bass
c:Oneal,Wilcox

bbd24
01-17-2012, 06:20 PM
It's a pretty easy situation to handle. For starters, Pierce isn't going anywhere.

You keep all of them, compete in the playoffs this year, & re-sign Allen & Garnett to contracts next year.

Add a free agent to the group next year from a strong free agent class, and find gold with your 2 first round picks in a deep draft.

Jint.
01-17-2012, 06:21 PM
Rondo to NY :D

sjbirds
01-17-2012, 06:22 PM

Philly

Boston

ummm no thank you..we would not trade turner for a rental of 2 aging players... not to mention bos wouldnt want brands cotract

B'sCeltsPatsSox
01-17-2012, 06:25 PM
ummm no thank you..we would not trade turner for a rental of 2 aging players... not to mention bos wouldnt want brands cotract

I'd actually take Brands contract if we get Turner:shrug:

JasonJohnHorn
01-17-2012, 06:26 PM
The Celtics are in great shape for rebuilding if the Big Three stay loyal and take less to play for Boston. Two big contracts coming off the books this year will give them cap space to sign a good free agent (if Dwight goes untraded or doenst sign and extension, Boston would be a good landing spot). Imagine bringing in a guy like Dwight, with a PG like Rondo and a cast of HOFers as supporting players?

Boston is going to have a hard time competing this season, but they could potentially make a quick turn around. But failing to land a big name free agent could set them back several years.

samevans7
01-17-2012, 06:27 PM
I'd actually take Brands contract if we get Turner:shrug:

This

we could the PHi 2012 1st too, by taking on Brand

bbd24
01-17-2012, 06:29 PM
The Celtics are in great shape for rebuilding if the Big Three stay loyal and take less to play for Boston. Two big contracts coming off the books this year will give them cap space to sign a good free agent (if Dwight goes untraded or doenst sign and extension, Boston would be a good landing spot). Imagine bringing in a guy like Dwight, with a PG like Rondo and a cast of HOFers as supporting players?

Boston is going to have a hard time competing this season, but they could potentially make a quick turn around. But failing to land a big name free agent could set them back several years.

Unless they hit on one if not two of their first round draft picks. The draft is deep this year and that makes those two picks huge. Especially with a guy like Ainge, who found players like Rondo & Perkins in the twenty something part of drafts that weren't too deep.....

The Final Boss
01-17-2012, 06:42 PM
Free agents usually don't sniff around Boston come the offseason. The city and weather suck giving it even less of an appeal. The Celtics haven't been worth a damn since Bird and I can't see a recent run of minimal success changing that.

thephoenixson28
01-17-2012, 06:42 PM

Would love to have KG.

bringinwood
01-17-2012, 06:46 PM
This

we could the PHi 2012 1st too, by taking on Brand

Sixers are 10-3...

I have a feeling they aren't trying to give away a future, potential all star talent to get rid of Brands contract and get a couple of aging vets that would have a nominal gain if any at all...

They aren't trading for Allen or KG if it messes with their core...

Turner is part of the core...

Not gonna happen...

It's funny how people think so one sided when it comes to trades... The Sixers won't be looking to give away a potential run at the Eastern Conference to get rid of Brands contract... lmao

dabears34ft
01-17-2012, 07:04 PM
Bulls have some intriguing pieces and the familiarity in Thibs to mesh quickly enough for a championship run.

Pieces:
Boozer
Korver
Watson
Bobcats 1st
Mirotic
Noah

The Bulls could really use Ray Allen, and KG would fit into our defensive scheme very nicely.

I've always been a huge Noah supporter, but he is supposedly healthy, and he looks like **** on a nightly basis. His offensive game has always been limited, and his D isn't on the same level as Asik's. Plus he costs a good amount of money for the **** he is producing right now. I think it's honestly a lack of heart and effort which I never thought I'd say about Noah. He just doesn't appear to be the same player he was before. He may have some value still and we could capitalize on it.

YoungOne
01-17-2012, 07:07 PM
Bulls have some intriguing pieces and the familiarity in Thibs to mesh quickly enough for a championship run.

Pieces:
Boozer
Korver
Watson
Bobcats 1st
Mirotic
Noah

The Bulls could really use Ray Allen, and KG would fit into our defensive scheme very nicely.

I've always been a huge Noah supporter, but he is supposedly healthy, and he looks like **** on a nightly basis. His offensive game has always been limited, and his D isn't on the same level as Asik's. Plus he costs a good amount of money for the **** he is producing right now. I think it's honestly a lack of heart and effort which I never thought I'd say about Noah. He just doesn't appear to be the same player he was before. He may have some value still and we could capitalize on it.

is the bobcats 1st unprotected??

theheatles
01-17-2012, 07:29 PM
i could see a ray and kg for boozer and korver type deal

YoungOne
01-17-2012, 07:38 PM
i could see a ray and kg for boozer and korver type deal

no no and never!

bholly
01-17-2012, 08:14 PM
There just aren't any deals I can see that would really make sense. Would the Grizz bite on like Pierce and Allen for Mayo and Gay?

Would Minny take KG or Pierce back for like Williams, Webster, Beasley? Doubt it.

There's just no way to make it work for both teams and get the salaries to fit.

I'm sure if NYK get desperate Ainge would try something like Ray and Pierce for Melo, but I don't think they'd get anywhere with that.

Maybe something with Golden State?

Maybe they could try and go full circle and get Al Jeff back for Pierce?

Philly

Boston

lol, no. The Sixers are in a youth development phase, we aren't even close to the 'take one last desperate shot' phase. No chance we give up Turner for rentals.

samevans7
01-17-2012, 08:21 PM
is the bobcats 1st unprotected??

No it is Top 14 protected, like every pick that has been traded minus the MIN pick thats in New Orleans

Sportfan
01-17-2012, 09:52 PM
^The protection on the pick goes down 2 every year so 2012 is top 14, 2013 is top 12, 2014 is top 10, etc and 2016 is unprotected

lol, no. The Sixers are in a youth development phase, we aren't even close to the 'take one last desperate shot' phase. No chance we give up Turner for rentals.

Ray right now>Turner will ever be.

Green_Monster
01-17-2012, 09:55 PM
It's a pretty easy situation to handle. For starters, Pierce isn't going anywhere.

You keep all of them, compete in the playoffs this year, & re-sign Allen & Garnett to contracts next year.

Add a free agent to the group next year from a strong free agent class, and find gold with your 2 first round picks in a deep draft.

Bingo! Keep Ray and KG for a few more years on small $ contracts. Don't start KG obviously, but Allen is in good shape. If your rebuilidng you might want to have 3 future HOF's on your team...

mdm692
01-17-2012, 10:06 PM

Terrible teams(like my suns) are a go to scorer away from being playoff contender.

starting 5 of Nash/pierce(or allen)/Hill/Frye(or markieff morris)/gortat would make some noise in the playoffs specially if redd can get his game going again.

bholly
01-17-2012, 10:23 PM
Ray right now>Turner will ever be.

And this changes what, exactly?

Giraffes Rule
01-17-2012, 10:38 PM
I wouldn't mind the Spurs trading for KG, if the price is right. Don't see it working out at all, but a rotation of Duncan/KG/Blair/Splitter with Bonner playing just a few minutes a night would be such a big improvement.