PDA

View Full Version : Sixers attendance

SpectrumDweller
01-16-2012, 10:57 AM
http://www.csnphilly.com/blog/sixers-talk/post/As-the-Sixers-surge-fans-stay-away-?blockID=631840&feedID=704

This article by Reuben Frank got me thinking. I had to ask myself....why do the Sixers still have dreadful attendance despite their 9-3 start? A few things came to mind:

1) The new ownership group is gearing their marketing efforts towards the wrong people. They are trying to give the games a great family atmosphere, but I've never thought that basketball should be a sport that families should attend. The league has clearly geared their marketing towards 20 and 30 somethings. A basketball ticket is suppose to be the hottest ticket in town. In the big NBA cities (LA, New York, Chicago, Boston, Miami), this is the case. Because of the poor marketing, they are missing out on a huge volume of potential fans.

2) The Sixers are beating all non-playoff teams. They are 8-0 against teams currently out of the playoff picture and 1-3 (with their only win coming against the Pacers) against playoff teams. Until the Sixers prove they can beat the best, this is still a mediocre, middle of the pack team.

3) No marketable star. The only marketing campaign that can truly be effective is one that includes a major superstar. The Sixers don't have a superstar, let alone a minor star. Until they have this, people will stay away. As much as the city of Philadelphia supports and respects a blue collar, workman like approach, we'd still prefer to see a superstar.

4) The roster. Aside from not having a star, the Sixers did nothing in free agency aside from bringing back Tony Battie. They still have the same problems scoring and rebounding in the post. I know there was a lockout, but until we see what the new ownership has in store for the oncourt product, fans will continue to be skeptical.

What are everyone else's thoughts?

MagicBucsSox
01-16-2012, 11:09 AM
I live cherry hill NJ so the sixers I see more than my magic. They need a gm. They refuse to trade iggy some reason. They draft weird(turner over cousins? Holliiday over Lawson?) too many similar players. It's as if they like how things are

theducksmuggler
01-16-2012, 11:26 AM
The owners are still figuring it out and us philly fans dont buy into teams right away they have to prove it to us...yes they are 9-3 but like the article says are schedule has been quite easy and this sixers team was a 500 team last year. just give the team some time to prove they are more then a middle of the pack mediocre team. also it was extremely frustrating having the exact same roster from last year coming back +the rookies as a fan.

RLundi
01-16-2012, 11:27 AM
I agree on the part of not having a marketable star, but I'm not sure I would consider this team mediocre. A good sign that they may be legit is their ability to win on the road. Mediocre teams can't do that. I know they're only 4-3 so far, but they were a poor road team last year. I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt for now. We'll obviously see what they're made of when they start playing contenders.

Phillyfan403
01-16-2012, 11:29 AM
Yo magic, your assumption that they draft weird is horrible... Turner was the odds on # 2 pick in that draft and cousins is still a head case. Secondly, Jrue holiday is a potential allstar so its not worth questioning that pick. Lastly, if u saw what Iggy did against Carmelo Anthony and the Knicks, which im sure u didnt, u would understand why they refuse to trade him.

warfelg
01-16-2012, 11:31 AM
The biggest reason is the sports priority of the fans in Philly. The list goes Eagles, Phillies, Flyers, then Sixers. Sooner or later fans will start showing up.

2) The Sixers are beating all non-playoff teams. They are 8-0 against teams currently out of the playoff picture and 1-3 (with their only win coming against the Pacers) against playoff teams. Until the Sixers prove they can beat the best, this is still a mediocre, middle of the pack team.
Well you can only play who the NBA puts on your schedule. And one of those losses to a 'playoff' team was the Knicks, which was on the road at the end of a back-to-back-to-back without Spencer Hawes, who has been one of the best players on the team.

3) No marketable star. The only marketing campaign that can truly be effective is one that includes a major superstar. The Sixers don't have a superstar, let alone a minor star. Until they have this, people will stay away. As much as the city of Philadelphia supports and respects a blue collar, workman like approach, we'd still prefer to see a superstar.
The Sixers do have marketable stars in Iggy, Lou, ET, Jrue, and even our coach Doug Collins. The ownership group is selling hard that the Sixers are a team with deep history and this team are trying to revive that image.

4) The roster. Aside from not having a star, the Sixers did nothing in free agency aside from bringing back Tony Battie. They still have the same problems scoring and rebounding in the post. I know there was a lockout, but until we see what the new ownership has in store for the oncourt product, fans will continue to be skeptical.
The team as is works so why complain about not having any big signings. If I remember correctly they're payroll was already high so they spent what was left on making sure Thad Young was back. The best thing this ownership group is doing is improve the team off the court and let basketball minds handle the on-court product.

Its a product of word getting out and everyone realizing that yes basketball is back. Give it time...attendance will pick up.

MagicBucsSox
01-16-2012, 11:41 AM
Yo magic, your assumption that they draft weird is horrible... Turner was the odds on # 2 pick in that draft and cousins is still a head case. Secondly, Jrue holiday is a potential allstar so its not worth questioning that pick. Lastly, if u saw what Iggy did against Carmelo Anthony and the Knicks, which im sure u didnt, u would understand why they refuse to trade him.

Ok you wanna challenge a season ticket ok, yes Turner was the mock #2 guy..........you still need big man help no? Iggy there takes away from Turner(#2 picks should be starting day 1) and takes away from Young. I never said Holliday wasnt a hell of a young player did I? He's a combo guard in the mold of a Stuckey, or if u wanna feel better a D.wade. he's not an assist man so you still lack a true pg.
2drafts ,0 needs fixed.

Calling him a potential all star is a lil much btw.

Iggy always had great D, so what other trade assets do u have to try and acquire the needs you have? Are u gonna move turner or jrue? Nope. So I think I know a lil more than u think

Philly 4 Life
01-16-2012, 11:47 AM
Listen I am so disgusted with this topic...I am a absolute die hard sixer fan, i read above that the town priority is Eagles, Phillies, Flyers, Sixers...well for me I love every team the same (besides the flyers because i hate hockey), but I like to call the fans that just "show up" when a team wins bandwagoners, I attended 12 home games the year we were 27-55 (would have attended more but with work it was tough), I have attended 5 home games this year, I havent missed a playoff game in years, TRUE FANS dont care about the record of the team or having a star player, TRUE FANS come out and support their team no matter what

Teams like Golden State, Indiana, Memphis, Portland, Denver, those teams sell out almost every game, and they dont have that "Superstar" either they have a great TEAM with one or to above average players...If not trading Iggy is the reason people wont come out, then you guys dont know the Sixers, as a poster said above, go back and watch the Knicks game, THAT IS WHY HE IS HERE, which is why hes on the olympic team, the man plays arguably the best man on man defense in the league, holding melo to 9-24 from the field, Kobe has said he hates playing iggy, he is leading our team in steals, without him we dont have a great defense...I dont agree with the contract and Ill be the first to say it, but whats done is done, now stop making excuses and come watch this team, they feed off the crowd like anyone else does, the ticket prices are great, and there is something special in the making with this team I promsie.

2-ONE-5
01-16-2012, 11:50 AM
Ok you wanna challenge a season ticket ok, yes Turner was the mock #2 guy..........you still need big man help no? Iggy there takes away from Turner(#2 picks should be starting day 1) and takes away from Young. I never said Holliday wasnt a hell of a young player did I? He's a combo guard in the mold of a Stuckey, or if u wanna feel better a D.wade. he's not an assist man so you still lack a true pg.
2drafts ,0 needs fixed.

Iggy always had great D, so what other trade assets do u have to try and acquire the needs you have? Are u gonna move turner or jrue? Nope. So I think I know a lil more than u think

Not every top pick is ready to come in and start, turner wasnt ready last year it took him time to figure it out. It looks like he has it figured out now and its prob gonna be one more year til the league really gets to know him. You must not watch the Sixers if you are comparing Holiday to Stuckey, seriously? He is a true PG. Iggy doesnt get in the way of anything he has sat back this year when other guys are hot.

Philly 4 Life
01-16-2012, 11:50 AM
2drafts ,0 needs fixed.

Which is why most top 3 picks end up being BUSTS, no time to develop...Turner was the perfect example last year, he said he was nervous all year and wasnt comfortable, now why would you start someone like that, its YEAR 1 of his career, he has nothing to prove, hes a rookie just like the other 60 that get drafted, unless you draft a kobe, lebron, jordan, KD, those guys have no reason to start DAY 1, you let them develop into the player they are going to be and turner will be good in this league

Phillyfan403
01-16-2012, 11:52 AM
No actually we dont still need big man help because Spencer hawes has emerged as a better than adequate center and we drafted Nikola Vucevic who appears to have alot of talent. Iggy takes nothing away from Turner because turner comes off the bench anyway. Who are u to say #2 picks should start day one.... hes good off our bench and doug collins wants it that way, and its working, so that cant be quesitoned. It remains to be seen if Evan can coexist with iggy but iggy is a complementary player and shouldnt in any way stun the growth of Turner. As far as taking away from young, thats completely false. Thaddeus is an energy player that comes off the bench and brings energy and has played incredible in his role. If he hadnt, he would have never gotten that contract. And using iggy to fill our needs would severely hurt this team, as his defense cannot be lost. Also, anyone on our team could be a trade assett. I love Lou, but even he could be a trade asset for a superstar.

warfelg
01-16-2012, 11:52 AM
2drafts ,0 needs fixed.

Why do #2 picks start from say one. Especially on a team that ended up in position to draft him because of a bad coach. Players need to earn their sport not just be given the spot. And we did have big man help in Hawes and Brand, it wasn't as glaring of a need as you think. And Jrue is a PG, he's still learning to play pro PG. He played SG at UCLA because there was another player there that was a PG (I think Collison, not 100% sure). And he's only 21. By the end of the year Holiday will be breaking out.

And if this team is winning, and Iggy is one of the biggest names on the team, why would you get rid of that. Especially when he's a big part of your gameplan.

Your logic lacks to me...if the team wins the way its constructed why make major changes?

thekmp211
01-16-2012, 12:37 PM
lots of arenas not filling up everywhere...its simple guys...going to a basketball game is simply too expensive considering the alternatives.

Kakaroach
01-16-2012, 12:44 PM
Every single other sports team has been better there over the past few years. Eagles have made the playoffs often except for this past year, and the Phillies and Flyers have been contenders for the past few years. Sixers just haven't been good, and just cuz they got off to a fast start this season doesn't mean people will start showing up.

MagicBucsSox
01-16-2012, 01:47 PM
No actually we dont still need big man help because Spencer hawes has emerged as a better than adequate center and we drafted Nikola Vucevic who appears to have alot of talent. Iggy takes nothing away from Turner because turner comes off the bench anyway. Who are u to say #2 picks should start day one.... hes good off our bench and doug collins wants it that way, and its working, so that cant be quesitoned. It remains to be seen if Evan can coexist with iggy but iggy is a complementary player and shouldnt in any way stun the growth of Turner. As far as taking away from young, thats completely false. Thaddeus is an energy player that comes off the bench and brings energy and has played incredible in his role. If he hadnt, he would have never gotten that contract. And using iggy to fill our needs would severely hurt this team, as his defense cannot be lost. Also, anyone on our team could be a trade assett. I love Lou, but even he could be a trade asset for a superstar.

With that said, I see where the where the fanbase gets it from. Nonsense at it's best, jrue a real pg, "we're winning", good day fellas lol

ClippersE.G
01-16-2012, 02:19 PM
Funny you bring this up...alot of teams (aside from the Lakers and Clippers) have arenas that are so empty its not even funny. The brief period I had the league pass trial I watched other games and the attendance was dreadful. 76ers being one of em. Hawks, Celtics, Heat, I mean even Thunder home games had alot of empty seats.

Like I said in another thread it might be fans actually sticking to their word and just refusing to go to these games because of what they went through with the lockout. And if you notice the NBA has never "apologized" to the fans or acted the one bit remorseful for the decable they put us all through. NO deals, no incentives to attend games, nothing.

Cfrey
01-16-2012, 03:01 PM
The owners are still figuring it out and us philly fans dont buy into teams right away they have to prove it to us...yes they are 9-3 but like the article says are schedule has been quite easy and this sixers team was a 500 team last year. just give the team some time to prove they are more then a middle of the pack mediocre team. also it was extremely frustrating having the exact same roster from last year coming back +the rookies as a fan.

this is just pathetic then.. i had season tickets last year for the Wolves and they were terrible.......

you guys are 9 and 3 and you're saying its cause they havent proved anything?? lol thats just fairweather..

Illa215
01-16-2012, 03:03 PM
I'm a huge Sixers fan who has spent money going to these games over the past years, including the home opener this year. I love this team, and I personally feel that this is the most like-able team in the city of Brotherly Love since the '08 Phillies. I love Philly sports, and I can say that this is the best sports team in the city right now, and these guys fit the city so perfectly with their under dog, blue collar mentality.

While I say that, I totally understand why Philadelphia will not and should not give this team their money. I believe that this Sixers team is a bonafide top 6 team in the NBA, but at the same time I know for a fact that they can't win a championship. The ultimate goal for a fan is to watch their team win a championship, yes? We can all agree on that. This right here is the problem and is why 1/2 of the league will not fill half of their stadiums this year. It's really a shame, but the league did themselves in.

Illa215
01-16-2012, 03:32 PM
I wish that I could walk away from this league, I really do. But I just can't at this point, no matter how embarrassing it is to support this league. I find it disgusting what the league has become from what it used to be, but they have done themselves in. There is no one to blame for this but themselves. They have taken parity out of the game completely. I can't believe that in a matter of weeks or months, another super team is going to be built with Dwight Howard. It's a damn shame that he can't sign with a team who is struggling. The time is going to come when these super teams have to be broken up by the league, because the rest of the league can't stay afloat. It's really a shame what has happened to this league.

I can say, as big of a fan as I am, I wouldn't be upset if the NBA wasn't around anymore. I would totally love switching to college basketball, where the players still play for their love of the game, and not for the money. I just can't stop watching the Sixers, but I am doing perfectly fine not paying attention to the rest of the league. I could care less when there is a game on ESPN, because it's always a super team going against another super team. They will soon begin losing money, and it's not a surprise at all.

sixer04fan
01-17-2012, 01:35 PM
Give it time. The Sixers have been mediocre, and 4th on the list of Philly sports teams for the last decade. The old ownership team never put much effort in trying to revive the franchise, so fans lost interest.

With the new ownership and the improved, exciting play of the Sixers, the fans will come back. It doesn't happen after 5 home games against crappy teams like the Wizards and Kings. With or without a star, if they win games, play exciting ball, and make a significant playoff push, the fans will pack the house to support these guys. And if they continue this success that they've displayed so far this season, then they will become an attractive landing spot for bigger name free agents, which will bring even more fans in.

Things are looking up for the Sixers. Good times ahead. The attendance figures are already starting to increase. It just takes time, whether it starts now, in a couple months, or takes a full season for all of the fans to buy in, it will happen. You just can't expect them to be selling out because they're 10-3, after going basically an entire decade of mediocre play and showing the fans that you don't care.

SeoulBeatz
01-17-2012, 01:55 PM
It's simple.

Sixer fans left when A.I left.

We've been pretty terrible to mediocre ever since, giving the fans no reason to come.

Finally, this year, we have a CEO who cares and actually listens to the fans opinions. Tickets are the cheapest in the NBA, and the team is #2 in the Eastern Conference at this point.

Fans will have to start coming sooner or later.

More-Than-Most
01-17-2012, 02:13 PM
looked like a damn good turnout for yesterdays game

Attendance: 17281

That is damn near a sell out... I think we only hold like 18k

sixer04fan
01-17-2012, 02:22 PM
looked like a damn good turnout for yesterdays game

Attendance: 17281

That is damn near a sell out... I think we only hold like 18k

Yeah, I was at the game, pretty packed for a Monday afternoon! I think it holds ~20K, but still a big crowd compared to usual (besides the home opener). Friday night had around 14K against the Wizards I think, which isn't horrible compared to what we've been used to for the last several years.

The Ooh Child
01-17-2012, 02:36 PM
The buzz around the Sixers is growing. We'll have good, consistent attendance as the season progresses