PDA

View Full Version : Clippers offered Butler big deal to most likely prevent him from joining the Heat

spreadeagle
01-16-2012, 01:47 AM
Caron Butler was part of a pretty special team in Miami. It featured Dwyane Wade in his rookie season, Lamar Odom, and Butler. It was a young, athletic team with players starting to come into their own. They upset the Hornets in the first round and then gave the Pacers a run in the second round before losing in six games. Then Pat Riley threw everything out there to get Shaq, and the dream was gone. It worked out for Miami because if you can win a title, you do the deal, no matter what it is. That validates everything. But it was a special team with great chemistry, and you have to wonder what could have been.

Apparently that thought is with Caron Butler as well, because Butler told our own Ira Winderman, writing for the Sun-Sentinel, that he nearly came back to Miami as a free agent.

“I was very close to coming back,” Butler, the Heats first-round pick in 2002 NBA Draft, said Wednesday, when the Heat faced the Clippers at Staples Center. “It was very close. I talked to my agent and I went to visit San Antonio and after I went to visit New Jersey, my next visit would have been Miami.”

Thats when the Clippers not only sprung their three-year, $24 million offer, but said they needed an immediate decision from the veteran small forward, as if they knew the sway Riley and Dwyane Wade might hold.

“The Clippers had put an offer on the table that I couldnt refuse,” Butler said on the night his 20 points went a long way toward defeating the Heat in overtime.

Butler would have fit well on the Heat, maybe even better than Shane Battier because of his mid-range jumper. Battier’s shooting leaves a lot to be desired and the Heat need a zone buster.

But you can’t go home again, and Butler took a huge deal that had many people wondering if the Clippers were insane for making. It’s going to look way worse in three years, but this season, Butler’s been worth it, as evidence by both his shooting earlier this week and his defense on Kobe Bryant Saturday night. But it’s nice to think of what could have been. Those teams that were for a short while and could have been have a special kind of infamy in the eyes of fans.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/15/caron-butler-nearly-returned-to-miami/

shijizuo
01-16-2012, 01:49 AM
really?
http://www.collegefun4u.com/track.php?u=5

shep33
01-16-2012, 01:51 AM
I was wondering why they signed him for 3 years at that price.

iggypop123
01-16-2012, 02:04 AM
interesting. it does seem butler makes every jumpshot he makes. battier has the artest problem, his shot decline and he lost a step. i would have thought he would go to san antonio since i think they offered the mle as well

BKLYNpigeon
01-16-2012, 02:16 AM
did you know that, Caron Butler said that he never became good until he was traded to the Lakers and began practicing with Kobe. He understood how much time and dedication you have to put in.

John Walls Era
01-16-2012, 02:21 AM
Clippers are that worried? They must think that they can make the finals soon.

Bulls_fan90
01-16-2012, 02:45 AM
Nice. Instead they signed Battier who has been a scrub. Butler has been pretty good this year too.

Chacarron
01-16-2012, 02:46 AM
It was a good signing nonetheless.

Cal827
01-16-2012, 03:00 AM
It was a good signing nonetheless.

:laugh: at that sig.

Bulls_fan90
01-16-2012, 03:02 AM
:laugh: at that sig.

Tacos. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1rZBxn3Zx8)

Melo15
01-16-2012, 03:08 AM
interesting. it does seem butler makes every jumpshot he makes. battier has the artest problem, his shot decline and he lost a step. i would have thought he would go to san antonio since i think they offered the mle as well

Yeah, that is crazy. Not many guys make every jumpshot they make ;)

iggypop123
01-16-2012, 03:43 AM
Yeah, that is crazy. Not many guys make every jumpshot they make ;)

i meant take its late, and heck ill just enjoy the post padding on this one

Rosh
01-16-2012, 05:33 AM
The NBA owes the Clips some props.

Monta is beast
01-16-2012, 06:27 AM
He got paid, that's for sure.

thekmp211
01-16-2012, 07:07 AM
butler would have been a terrible fit in miami anyway.

king4day
01-16-2012, 12:06 PM
I don't see anything in that article that makes me think LA did this to block Miami specifically.
It sounds more of a coincidence than anything that it happend right before Miami got to talk with him. LAC probably knew that if Miami could offer the full MLE, he'd pick them. So instead of taking that risk, they just made the offer.

kozelkid
01-16-2012, 12:18 PM
Not that I necessarily get it from Miami's POV, on why they'd want Caron anyway. Doesn't fit their team.

kylem4711
01-16-2012, 12:24 PM
stupid thread. they gave caron a lot of money cause at that time no one really wanted to come to the clippers without getting a lot of money.

Hawkeye15
01-16-2012, 12:25 PM
if they really overpaid that badly just to keep him away from a non-conference team, that is so stupid of the Clips.

John Walls Era
01-16-2012, 02:39 PM
I change my mind, this was secretly a great sign. We know Stern is Sterling's ***** and Blake Griffin is Stern's new favorite toy. No doubt Stern will get the Clippers into the finals. Clippers vs. Heat showdown would be a great series (not that some other ones wouldn't be, but we got 2 powerful dunkers and the whole "new good guys" vs. "villains" theme going on).

DallasRainCloud
01-16-2012, 03:48 PM
I find it funny how Heat fans thought that Battier was the best signing in the past decade. Many believed he was going to make them a 66-0 team and no team's star player would score a point on him. Now looking at it, would he even crack the Mavs rotation?

LongWayFromHome
01-16-2012, 03:54 PM
Tacos. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1rZBxn3Zx8)

rotfl

apet8945
01-16-2012, 03:54 PM
Kwame Brown is making the same amount of money as Caron Butler.

MackShock
01-16-2012, 04:00 PM
and kwame is out for the season. more than ironically, butler is the injury prone one