PDA

View Full Version : Is Daryl Morey a top 5 GM?

alexander_37
01-15-2012, 05:06 PM
I think he really is. He has been criticized for not landing a superstar but there not many especially not many available. But read this article

http://www.thedreamshake.com/2012/1/14/2706746/houston-rockets-starting-lineup-lowry-scola-chandler-parsons

Yes the starting lineup of a fringe playoff team consists of 2 trades of which took Rafer Alston and Carl Landry for a top 5 PG and a top scorer. 2 Second round picks and a free agent that was signed cheaper than Kwame Brown.

Hawkeye15
01-15-2012, 05:10 PM
he is probably in the top 5, yes

kozelkid
01-15-2012, 06:16 PM
I've been saying it for awhile. The problem is he is stuck in what he once proclaimed the worst position in the NBA, which is near .500.

KB-Pau-DH2012
01-15-2012, 06:28 PM
If he can make a trade for Pau to help the Lakers land D-Will, then yes, he's a top 5 GM (along with Billy King and Otis Smith) :D :D :D :D

Pau to the Rockets for Scola, Martin, Dragic, Jordan Hill and a 1st rounder.

Then Lakers send Martin, Scola, Jordan Hill along with Lakers' young prospects of Morris and Goudelock and Houston 1st rounder to New Jersey for D-Will.

Then Lakers send 2 2012 1st rd picks (one of them from the Odom to Dallas trade), Bynum, Ebanks, Caracter, Dragic to Orlando for Dwight and Turkoglu.

Top 5 GMS in the NBA

1. Mitch Kupchak-Lakers
2. Darryl Morey-Rockets
3. Billy King-Nets
4. Otis Smith-Magic
5. Pat Riley-Heat

GunFactor187
01-15-2012, 06:33 PM
Not sure if he's a Top 5 GM but he certainly ranks up there as one of the smartest.

Iodine
01-15-2012, 06:43 PM
Top five and easily one of the most innovative in all of sports.

GoatMilk
01-15-2012, 07:07 PM
they could have been really good with Nene and Pau
too bad

alexander_37
01-15-2012, 08:01 PM
If he can make a trade for Pau to help the Lakers land D-Will, then yes, he's a top 5 GM (along with Billy King and Otis Smith) :D :D :D :D

Then Lakers send Martin, Scola, Jordan Hill along with Lakers' young prospects of Morris and Goudelock and Houston 1st rounder to New Jersey for D-Will.

Then Lakers send 2 2012 1st rd picks (one of them from the Odom to Dallas trade), Bynum, Ebanks, Caracter, Dragic to Orlando for Dwight and Turkoglu.

Top 5 GMS in the NBA

1. Mitch Kupchak-Lakers
2. Darryl Morey-Rockets
3. Billy King-Nets
4. Otis Smith-Magic
5. Pat Riley-Heat

He literally gets talent for nohing. That is way more impressive then signing a free agent or even making a trade. Anyone can trade or sign a free agent. A good GM finds talent where no one else sees it and develops the stars in the first place.

Sixerlover
01-15-2012, 08:15 PM
If only he would've gotten his wish and paired Kyle Lowry with Pau and Marc Gasol. That would've been beautiful

Iodine
01-15-2012, 08:53 PM
When did Billy King become a good GM :laugh2:

THE MTL
01-15-2012, 09:10 PM
He almost got Chris Paul and Kobe Bryant on the same team for the Lakers. NEVER!

John Walls Era
01-15-2012, 09:18 PM
Hes a genius. The guy and his advance stats. I think he needs a tank season though.

fredv
01-16-2012, 08:48 AM
The only problem is that Morey and Alexander (Rockets owner) have different opinions on how to get the team back on track.

Alexander wants to keep "winning", while Daryl knows that it's near impossible to trade for a superstar (unless you are a big market and he wants to come to your city) so he wants to find one through the draft (aka "tank" a couple of seasons).

So Daryl - who needs to do his job - has to get that superstar while winning. GL

abe_froman
01-16-2012, 09:03 AM
hmmm maybe,i'm not so sure anymore.he's upgraded with the trades he's made and was an innovator but he's only managed to keep his team in sports hell. as well there's alot of good gm's who i think challenge/surpass his record

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-16-2012, 09:48 AM

agreed, he's terrible

abe_froman
01-16-2012, 09:52 AM

the guy who said it,put in the mist of his trade ideas.he's saying he'd be a good gm if he forked over dwill to his team for crap

Rndy
01-16-2012, 09:57 AM
Say Paxon is a good GM or He'll beat up your head coach.

Knicks21
01-16-2012, 10:33 AM
He uses advanced statistics to find his players. Many players are undervalued in this league, and many of them are on his team. Scola, Lowry, Budinger etc. He's not the first one to do it, but should be recognised as a top 5 gm in this league.

alexander_37
01-17-2012, 11:40 AM

Top 5 GMS in the NBA

1. Mitch Kupchak-Lakers
2. Darryl Morey-Rockets
3. Billy King-Nets
4. Otis Smith-Magic
5. Pat Riley-Heat

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?t=687102

Lol you clearly know what your talking about.

Raps18-19 Champ
01-17-2012, 11:42 AM
He's pretty good.

Though trading your 2 best players and a couple of decent pieces for Gasol should be a big no no.

alexander_37
01-17-2012, 12:25 PM
He's pretty good.

Though trading your 2 best players and a couple of decent pieces for Gasol should be a big no no.

Kevin Martin would have been tough to give up but Lee is a good scorer and infinitely better defender same with Patrick Patterson and Scola. So we would not have lost all that much while Gasol would have been RIDICULOUSLY better than Hill. Overall we would have been a playoff team. We still could be but the Rockets would have been a better team with Gasol no question.

Raps18-19 Champ
01-17-2012, 12:27 PM
You lost both Scola and Martin.

That's too much for Gasol IMO.

alexander_37
01-17-2012, 12:29 PM
It would have been tough to see them go but Gasol brought rebounding and defense Scola never had and still was a low post threat. Yes they are very good players but we have younger guys who are both better defenders and have higher ceilings offensively. Plus gave us the 7 footer we DESPERATELY NEED!

sixer04fan
01-17-2012, 01:18 PM
Top 5 GMS in the NBA

1. Mitch Kupchak-Lakers
2. Darryl Morey-Rockets
3. Billy King-Nets
4. Otis Smith-Magic
5. Pat Riley-Heat

What the ****? You have arguably two of the worst GM's in your top 5?

KB-Pau-DH2012
01-17-2012, 01:20 PM
You lost both Scola and Martin.

That's too much for Gasol IMO.

They were willing to do it in the CP3 trade.

KB-Pau-DH2012
01-17-2012, 01:21 PM
What the ****? You have arguably two of the worst GM's in your top 5?

It's a joke, that's if we can get those 2 clowns to somehow help us land D-Will and Dwight, lol. That's the only reason I put their names on the list people! :laugh2:

sixer04fan
01-17-2012, 01:25 PM
It's a joke, that's if we can get those 2 clowns to somehow help us land D-Will and Dwight, lol. That's the only reason I put their names on the list people! :laugh2:

Ohh my bad.

kozelkid
01-17-2012, 01:28 PM

What was your reason for Kupchak?
Just because he managed to rape Memphis, a franchise run by idiots for most if not all of its existence?

Or Riley.
Just because Wade managed to convince Lebron and Bosh to join? That takes a lot of genius from a gm to realize that Bosh, Lebron and Wade would be a successful team. :rolleyes:

KB-Pau-DH2012
01-17-2012, 01:32 PM
What was your reason for Kupchak?
Just because he managed to rape Memphis?

Or Riley.
Just because Wade managed to convince Lebron and Bosh to join? That takes a lot of genius from a gm to realize that Bosh, Lebron and Wade would be a successful team. :rolleyes:

Well, you can make argument for Kupchak that he took a gamble on Caron for Kwame, which led for Kwame to Gasol.

He also made the Ariza trade by getting rid of Cook and Mo Evans when Orlando was not really high on Trevor. And then Trevor help win us the chip as the starting 3 in the 09 finals, and Kupchak took the gamble of letting Trevor walk and signing a nutcase in Ron, who helped us win the 2010 finals as the starting 3 (re-tooling after winning a championship). He re-signed Lamar in the 2009 offseason after they won a title for a chance to repeat. He extended Kobe, Pau and Bynum until 2014. He brought in great bench pieces like Brown to get rid of Radmanovic and drafted Farmar in the 06 draft. He got 2 great free agents last yr in Blake and Barnes who are playing very well this season. I like his draft picks in the last 2 yrs of Ebanks and Morris.

And he was willing to pull the trigger on the CP3 deal, not his fault that Stern, Gilbert, Cuban and MJ sabotaged the deal.

KB-Pau-DH2012
01-17-2012, 01:34 PM
Or Riley.

And if it's not so hard to realize that those 3 would form such a successful team, then why didn't the GM's of the 29 other NBA franchises not pursue to do the same thing? :confused:

kozelkid
01-17-2012, 01:36 PM
And if it's not so hard to realize that those 3 would form such a successful team, then why didn't the GM's of the 29 other NBA franchises not pursue to do the same thing? :confused:

They didn't? :confused:

Did you NOT see the decision?

There were 6 teams that were praying for Lebron and Bosh.

Lebron chose Miami, as did Bosh. That was it. That has ZERO to do with gm ability. Riley is just lucky that he is managing in a nice city like Miami with already a top 5 player in Wade.

kozelkid
01-17-2012, 01:39 PM
Well, you can make argument for Kupchak that he took a gamble on Caron for Kwame, which led for Kwame to Gasol.

He also made the Ariza trade by getting rid of Cook and Mo Evans when Orlando was not really high on Trevor. And then Trevor help win us the chip as the starting 3 in the 09 finals, and Kupchak took the gamble of letting Trevor walk and signing a nutcase in Ron, who helped us win the 2010 finals as the starting 3 (re-tooling after winning a championship). He re-signed Lamar in the 2009 offseason after they won a title for a chance to repeat. He extended Kobe, Pau and Bynum until 2014. He brought in great bench pieces like Brown to get rid of Radmanovic and drafted Farmar in the 06 draft. He got 2 great free agents last yr in Blake and Barnes who are playing very well this season. I like his draft picks in the last 2 yrs of Ebanks and Morris.

And he was willing to pull the trigger on the CP3 deal, not his fault that Stern, Gilbert, Cuban and MJ sabotaged the deal.

You can't make that argument. Give me a break. The Caron deal was ****. He just was lucky that Memphis was a cheap team that wanted that Kwame expiring.

He honestly couldn't built a worse team around Kobe in 06.

I will credit Kupchak as a fantastic drafter. But in terms of signing or trades? Meh.

You think any other gm has the fortune of an owner that will essentially provide them with a blank check? Only NY and Dallas maybe.

And the Artest signing looks pretty damn bad these days. They were a great team as it is. Let's not act like the Artest signing was what put them over the top in 2010. They could have kept Ariza and probably would be better off.

KB-Pau-DH2012
01-17-2012, 01:43 PM
They didn't? :confused:

Did you NOT see the decision?

There were 6 teams that were praying for Lebron and Bosh.

Lebron chose Miami, as did Bosh. That was it. That has ZERO to do with gm ability. Riley is just lucky that he is managing in a nice city like Miami with already a top 5 player in Wade.

Riley also has 1 championship as a player with the Lakers (1972), 4 as a Lakers head coach (1982, 1985, 1987, 1988), and 1 as a Heat head coach (2006). None of the GMs or VPs of the other 5 teams (Cavs, Bulls, Knicks, Nets, Clippers) came even close to that resume to entice Wade to stay with LeBron and Bosh to come.

Let's not forget the times he didn't win but still made it to the finals as Lakers player twice (1970, 1973), Lakers head coach 3 times (1983, 1984, 1989) and Knicks head coach once (1994).

KB-Pau-DH2012
01-17-2012, 01:44 PM
You can't make that argument. Give me a break. The Caron deal was ****. He just was lucky that Memphis was a cheap team that wanted that Kwame expiring.

He honestly couldn't built a worse team around Kobe in 06.

I will credit Kupchak as a fantastic drafter. But in terms of signing or trades? Meh.

You think any other gm has the fortune of an owner that will essentially provide them with a blank check? Only NY and Dallas maybe.

And the Artest signing looks pretty damn bad these days. They were a great team as it is. Let's not act like the Artest signing was what put them over the top in 2010. They could have kept Ariza and probably would be better off.

Artest, game 7, 20 pts and 5 steals, and the dagger 3 in Paul Pierce's face with a minute to go. Best player offensively and defensively on the court, and basically shut down Paul Pierce, which I think if Trevor tried, wouldn't have had some but not as much success in doing so.

kozelkid
01-17-2012, 01:48 PM
Riley also has 1 championship as a player with the Lakers (1972), 4 as a Lakers head coach (1982, 1985, 1987, 1988), and 1 as a Heat head coach (2006). None of the GMs or VPs of the other 5 teams (Cavs, Bulls, Knicks, Nets, Clippers) came even close to that resume to entice Wade to stay with LeBron and Bosh to come.

Let's not forget the times he didn't win but still made it to the finals as Lakers player twice (1970, 1973), Lakers head coach 3 times (1983, 1984, 1989) and Knicks head coach once (1994).

I'm sorry, I was unaware that an awesome coaching career and one championship as a player makes for a great gm.

Artest, game 7, 20 pts and 5 steals, and the dagger 3 in Paul Pierce's face with a minute to go. Best player offensively and defensively on the court, and basically shut down Paul Pierce, which I think if Trevor tried, wouldn't have had some but not as much success in doing so.

That's great.
Artest had one good game. Maybe if he didn't play like **** in game 2 or 5, they wouldn't even have to play a game 7.

KB-Pau-DH2012
01-17-2012, 01:57 PM
I'm sorry, I was unaware that an awesome coaching career and one championship as a player makes for a great gm.

That's great.
Artest had one good game. Maybe if he didn't play like **** in game 2 or 5, they wouldn't even have to play a game 7.

Ray Allen didn't hit a single 3 in the 3 middle games in Boston but was great from the 3 pt line in game 2. You have some good games, and you have some bad games in a playoff series.

kozelkid
01-17-2012, 02:03 PM
Ray Allen didn't hit a single 3 in the 3 middle games in Boston but was great from the 3 pt line in game 2. You have some good games, and you have some bad games in a playoff series.

That's great except Ron Artest was garbage the whole time he has been a Laker.

Just because he happened to have had a remarkable game 7 doesn't change it.

He was a bad player and even a worse fit in the triangle offense. In other words, he was paid for too much and too long. It was a bad signing.

KB-Pau-DH2012
01-17-2012, 02:06 PM
That's great except Ron Artest was garbage the whole time he has been a Laker.

Just because he happened to have had a remarkable game 7 doesn't change it.

He was a bad player and even a worse fit in the triangle offense. In other words, he was paid for too much and too long. It was a bad signing.

He hit the game winner in game 5 of the 2010 WCF against Phoenix. He made it tough for Durant in the 2010 1st rd of the playoffs. He was better offensively in the 4 game sweep of the Jazz in the 2010 semis. He was exactly the player we needed in that 2010 championship run. Good signing for that one year to repeat.

kozelkid
01-17-2012, 02:16 PM
He hit the game winner in game 5 of the 2010 WCF against Phoenix. He made it tough for Durant in the 2010 1st rd of the playoffs. He was better offensively in the 4 game sweep of the Jazz in the 2010 semis. He was exactly the player we needed in that 2010 championship run. Good signing for that one year to repeat.

:laugh2:

I guess Fisher is a good player as well because he made some "clutch" shots.

I've never understood the obsession fans had with making a "clutch" shot. Is it more points than a shot midway through the 2nd quarter? No.

Bottom line, while he has helped LA along the way, it doesn't justify his contract. All it means is that Kupchak is lucky that he works for an owner that will pay for as much as possible. If he had the budget of 60-70mil instead of 90+mil, this wouldn't even be a discussion.

Again, we saw the teams Kupchak put out when the total salary was around 60mil. And that was with a top 5 player in the league. They were mediocre.

I will concede that Kupchak is a very good drafter. However, overall, in terms of money management, and knowing the monetary value of a player, he hasn't proven ****. Which you know, is kind of a big deal if you're a gm.

avon_barksdale
01-17-2012, 02:45 PM

Top 5 GMS in the NBA

1. Mitch Kupchak-Lakers
2. Darryl Morey-Rockets
3. Billy King-Nets
4. Otis Smith-Magic
5. Pat Riley-Heat

yeah right

KB-Pau-DH2012
01-17-2012, 02:48 PM
If those clutch shots help win playoff games and NBA Championships.