PDA

View Full Version : Nets Trying To Acquire OJ Mayo by offering Farmar or Morrow

KB-Pau-DH2012
01-15-2012, 02:43 PM
http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

The Grizzlies are again discussing whether to deal reserve guard O.J. Mayo. This time, Memphis has explored at least two trade scenarios with the New Jersey Nets over the past couple of weeks, according to two NBA sources. Yahoo Sports first reported the talks.

The Nets are interested in acquiring Mayo for salary-cap reasons as they try to clear room to make a run at Orlando center Dwight Howard in the offseason. With that in mind, the Nets have offered fourth-year guard Anthony Morrow for Mayo. Morrow, a 6-5 shooting guard, will earn $4 million this year and is guaranteed for $4 million next season. Mayo is making $5.6 this season the final year of his rookie contract. He has a $7.4 million qualifying offer for the 2012-13 campaign. The Griz have not discussed a contract extension with Mayo nor do they plan to before the Jan. 25 deadline.

The Nets have also offered point guard Jordan Farmar, a draft pick and cash in a separate package for Mayo. Either deal would save the Grizzlies money. Farmar has a contract that pays him $4 million this season. He owns a player option at $ $4.25 million for the 2012-13 season. Neither deal is imminent. But both scenarios are there for the taking if the Grizzlies want to pull the trigger, according to the sources.

NJ Raven
01-15-2012, 02:45 PM
donotwant

29$JerZ
01-15-2012, 02:46 PM
No Brooks or multiple 1st rounders make this embarassing

John Walls Era
01-15-2012, 02:46 PM
You left Draft Pick in the title which means a lot.

Cal827
01-15-2012, 02:47 PM
:facepalm:

They probably want to do this, then add him in a package to Orlando. Since Mayo is young and has had problems with playing time in Memphis.

ee
01-15-2012, 02:49 PM
Mayo is restricted, nets will end up paying big money to this guy.... He'll probably be included in a package so they can keep brooks.....

Lloyd Christmas
01-15-2012, 02:50 PM
Wasn't Morrow one of the guys Dwight listed as players he wants to play with?

shep33
01-15-2012, 02:55 PM
They also offered Morrow and a pick in another deal didn't they? That's more fair, but still Mayo would just leave or be dealt to the Magic

iliketurtles24
01-15-2012, 03:09 PM
Hhmm, this looks like a long way off.

5ass
01-15-2012, 03:13 PM
just another trade chip for d12 deal, if this happens

hgtiger32
01-15-2012, 03:17 PM

Of all the players in the NBA, Anthony Morrow was one of the guys Dwight wants to play with? Seesh :facepalm:

Lakers4life08
Wow i can't believe that wolves won't try to get Mayo, becouse now its freaking joke to play Ridnour or Wes as SG, i hope wolves will offer Beasley,Ridnour for mayo

king4day
I wonder if they're doing this knowing that they will lose Brooks to Orlando should they get Howard.

Hellcrooner
01-15-2012, 03:23 PM
Wow i can't believe that wolves won't try to get Mayo, becouse now its freaking joke to play Ridnour or Wes as SG, i hope wolves will offer Beasley,Ridnour for mayo

Why would Grizz want to have TWO players that play nearly the same game? Gay and Beasley

Chi StateOfMind
01-15-2012, 03:29 PM
Of all the players in the NBA, Anthony Morrow was one of the guys Dwight wants to play with? Seesh :facepalm:

If this is true, Dwight is a joke and will continue to lose in the NBA.

GodsSon
01-15-2012, 03:32 PM
Memphis can get a better deal then that

5ass
01-15-2012, 03:36 PM
If this is true, Dwight is a joke and will continue to lose in the NBA.

why is that? Dwight is good friends with morrow, i dont see why its a big deal if he wants to play with him, also morrow is one of the best shooters in the NBA. I really dont get why Dwight gets a lot of hate from chicago fans and media, but i think its all because the Bulls are not on his "list of destinations".

Chill_Will_24
01-15-2012, 03:37 PM
@Chi StateOfMind

Why? Morrow is automatic from three. If NJ wasnt so bad the spacing and therefore his shooting % would be even better. With Dwight, Morrow would rain treys all game.

Chi StateOfMind
01-15-2012, 03:43 PM
why is that? Dwight is good friends with morrow, i dont see why its a big deal if he wants to play with him, also morrow is one of the best shooters in the NBA. I really dont get why Dwight gets a lot of hate from chicago fans and media, but i think its all because the Bulls are not on his "list of destinations".

I could care less if he came here or not. We have the best defense and record without him... My problem with him is he says he wants to win but says NJ when he would be worse off in NJ then Orlando.

Sportfan
01-15-2012, 03:46 PM
Ray for Mayo

DR_1
01-15-2012, 03:52 PM
If the Grizz accept this, they are mad, as I'm sure NJ will find a way to protect its pick.

justinnum1
01-15-2012, 03:54 PM
How do magic fans feel about this? they would prob be getting him...

5ass
01-15-2012, 03:55 PM
I could care less if he came here or not. We have the best defense and record without him... My problem with him is he says he wants to win but says NJ when he would be worse off in NJ then Orlando.

How can u be so sure? The nets could potentially have a better team next season than any previous magic team with howard. If the magic keep howard till after the trade deadline (which i dont think they will), but if it does happen they can put a great team around dwight.
Williams/Arenas
Morrow/Brooks
Gerald Wallace/Andre Kirilenko
Brook lopez/Andre Kirilenko
Dwight Howard/Lopez

they can offer Wallace 10+ mill/yr. AK for the MLE and they slide brook lopez to PF, or they can trade him for a PF (scola?).
EDIT: they would also have a lottery pick this year, if they draft a star (or atleast allstar) player, that team could become a dynasty. The chances at this to happen are very slim, but for u to say he is worse off in NJ isnt true, and this is coming from a magic fan.

kjoke
01-15-2012, 03:57 PM
Ray for Mayo

wait.... you would do that?

Chill_Will_24
01-15-2012, 04:07 PM
How can u be so sure? The nets could potentially have a better team next season than any previous magic team with howard. If the magic keep howard till after the trade deadline (which i dont think they will), but if it does happen they can put a great team around dwight.
Williams/Arenas
Morrow/Brooks
Dwight Howard/Lopez

they can offer Wallace 10+ mill/yr. AK for the MLE and they slide brook lopez to PF, or they can trade him for a PF (scola?).
EDIT: they would also have a lottery pick this year, if they draft a star player, that team could become a dynasty. The chances at this to happen are very slim, but for u to say he is worse off in NJ isnt true, and this is coming from an magic fan.

This x100

That scenario is a pipe dream for Nets fans imo because the Magic WILL trade Dwight. However that Nets team would beat CHI in 5 imo.

I dont understand why so many Bulls fans are so salty about this Dwight situation when they have such a good team.

LA_Raiders
01-15-2012, 04:13 PM
lol, NJ needs to do better than that

Chi StateOfMind
01-15-2012, 04:13 PM
Williams/Arenas
Morrow/Brooks
Dwight Howard/Lopez

EDIT: they would also have a lottery pick this year, if they draft a star (or atleast allstar) player, that team could become a dynasty. The chances at this to happen are very slim, but for u to say he is worse off in NJ isnt true, and this is coming from a magic fan.

A bunch of if's. Anyone with cap space can dream of signing people. Im saying as of right now, if he gets traded to NJ, he would lose. Sorry if you disagree but thats my opinion.

5ass
01-15-2012, 04:15 PM
This x100

That scenario is a pipe dream for Nets fans imo because the Magic WILL trade Dwight. However that Nets team would beat CHI in 5 imo.

I dont understand why so many Bulls fans are so salty about this Dwight situation when they have such a good team.

Pipe dream for sure, but its possible. I also think dwight will get traded, and in all honesty id rather see him go to the nets than the lakers for many reasons. I really hate bynum, and lopez is the better player for a rebuilding team (which i want the magic to be post-Dwight). Even if the nets get Dwight through trade and lose a lot of their assets+ capspace(Hedo's contract). They're still in good position. They'll have to make some really smart moves, but it shouldnt be that hard to make them top 3 in the east at the very least.

5ass
01-15-2012, 04:18 PM
A bunch of if's. Anyone with cap space can dream of signing people. Im saying as of right now, if he gets traded to NJ, he would lose. Sorry if you disagree but thats my opinion.

everything related to dwight's FA has been about "ifs", there is no sure thing. Im just telling u that the possibility is always there. NJ could end up being best in the east next season if they get dwight through FA.

jmaest
01-15-2012, 04:21 PM

I get what you're saying but you're missing Dwight's point. He's not picking NJ over Orlando based on what have on their roster right now, he's picking NJ over Orlando based on what he perceives is their commitment to winning moving forward.

NJ/Brooklyn, with Howard, keeps DWill and that gives them a much better 1-2 punch than Orlando currently has. Couple that with NYC/Brooklyn and an overwhelmingly rich owner, and I could see why Dwight would pick the Nets as his prime spot.

As for the Bulls, personally I don't want Dwight either but I'd be stupid to walk away from him. I love the team chemistry we have right now. We haven't played as well as we're going to yet and we're still off to the best start we've had since Jordan. They lead the league in rebounding and have one of the better defenses in the league. (Personally I think they're best but that's the homer in me...)

Having said that, if the Bulls could get Howard for Noah, Gibson, Lucas, and a pick, I would pack their bags personally and walk them over to Orlando myself. And I LOVE Gibson...

Chill_Will_24
01-15-2012, 04:33 PM
Pipe dream for sure, but its possible. I also think dwight will get traded, and in all honesty id rather see him go to the nets than the lakers for many reasons. I really hate bynum, and lopez is the better player for a rebuilding team (which i want the magic to be post-Dwight). Even if the nets get Dwight through trade and lose a lot of their assets+ capspace(Hedo's contract). They're still in good position. They'll have to make some really smart moves, but it shouldnt be that hard to make them top 3 in the east at the very least.

You and i are on the same page. In fact i just posted in the Dwight Thread that i am baffled by the ORL Magic's strategy. I dont understand why they are aiming playoffs when they are not contenders and they know Dwight is out. The 2012 draft is a rebuilding teams dream. There is star potential all over tge first round.

I disagree with you on Bynum cuz i think the Magic should want him over Lopez but its the rebuilding potential that majes NJ better for ORL. At the rate NJ is losing they will be in the lottery even if they get Dwight at the deadline.

I guess ORL would rather get multiple middle of the pack picks in 2012 as opposed to a top pick and a mediocre one.

Quantity (Perry Jones+ Micheal Gilchrist) vs Quality (Anthony Davis, Harrison Barnes or Andre Drummond+ a late round prospect)

Couple of all star caliber players vs a supertar caliber player and a role player type

GiantsSwaGG
01-15-2012, 04:37 PM

Yeah he also wanted Chris Duhon to be his PG...This is y Otis Smith doesnt listen to Dwight

Greet
01-15-2012, 04:43 PM
You and i are on the same page. In fact i just posted in the Dwight Thread that i am baffled by the ORL Magic's strategy. I dont understand why they are aiming playoffs when they are not contenders and they know Dwight is out. The 2012 draft is a rebuilding teams dream. There is star potential all over tge first round.

I disagree with you on Bynum cuz i think the Magic should want him over Lopez but its the rebuilding potential that majes NJ better for ORL. At the rate NJ is losing they will be in the lottery even if they get Dwight at the deadline.

I guess ORL would rather get multiple middle of the pack picks in 2012 as opposed to a top pick and a mediocre one.

Quantity (Perry Jones+ Micheal Gilchrist) vs Quality (Anthony Davis, Harrison Barnes or Andre Drummond+ a late round prospect)

Couple of all star caliber players vs a supertar caliber player and a role player type

This OJ Mayo trade would be 100% to flip him towards the Magic, which is fine and a good move. He holds more value than Farmar/Morrow. I also believe that the Magic are just waiting for the last possible day to deal Howard so the Nets pick gets worse and worse. I'm trying to stay optimistic about the situation, but I really don't see it possible to retain Brooks if we don't get Mayo. He's going to be a big player in a deal for Dwight if it happens.

ee
01-15-2012, 04:48 PM
A bunch of if's. Anyone with cap space can dream of signing people. Im saying as of right now, if he gets traded to NJ, he would lose. Sorry if you disagree but thats my opinion.Dwight isn't coming to win now, the nets are in a process of getting their main pieces together.... It doesn't happen overnight.....dwight, deron and brooklyn is enought to gather the right pieces in the off season.....

Chill_Will_24
01-15-2012, 04:50 PM
This OJ Mayo trade would be 100% to flip him towards the Magic, which is fine and a good move. He holds more value than Farmar/Morrow. I also believe that the Magic are just waiting for the last possible day to deal Howard so the Nets pick gets worse and worse. I'm trying to stay optimistic about the situation, but I really don't see it possible to retain Brooks if we don't get Mayo. He's going to be a big player in a deal for Dwight if it happens.

What makes you think ORL wont ask for Brooks instead? Brooks looks like the steal of the draft and is cheaper. Furthermore is Mayo isnt traded to NJ by Monday Mayo will not be eligible to be traded to ORL cuz you cant trade a player again for 60 days.

Greet
01-15-2012, 04:52 PM
What makes you think ORL wont ask for Brooks instead? Brooks looks like the steal of the draft and is cheaper. Furthermore is Mayo isnt traded to NJ by Monday Mayo will not be eligible to be traded to ORL cuz you cant trade a player again for 60 days.

I was saying that Mayo would help to possibly retain Brooks.

Chill_Will_24
01-15-2012, 05:20 PM
I was saying that Mayo would help to possibly retain Brooks.

Only if we get him before Monday i think and even then ORL might want Brooks

llemon
01-15-2012, 05:34 PM
Not positive, but I have to believe King will make the deal that screws the Nets, over time, most.

Young and Stupid
01-15-2012, 05:38 PM

Incorrect.

A player dealt after January 16th cannot be traded in a trade package; however, said player is eligible to be traded in a one-for-one deal at anytime prior to the trade deadline.

If the Nets and the Magic were to facilitate a trade, they could break it into multiple transactions. Presumably, it would be: Howard and Turkoglu for Lopez, picks, fillers and Okur and Mayo for Duhon.

The Magic are looking to maximize profits; in the long-term and the short-term. As a result, they will at least hold onto Dwight Howard until the All-Star break. Aside from that, I don't know what they're doing. Let's not forget that Otis Smith has already accepted a trade with the Nets involving Dwight Howard -- it was a done deal -- but Magic ownership turned it down.

Also: Some house-cleaning for the thread; there are conflicting reports coming out of Memphis and New York. While Ron Tillery of the Memphis Commercial Appeal reports that the deal is waiting on the Grizzles, Fred Kerber of the New York Post reports (http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/nets/deron_returns_to_utah_deaBD4lr4Wgu5bZNhEhBsK) that "the Nets could do the deal if they wanted to."

Kakaroach
01-15-2012, 06:00 PM
I think the Grizz HAVE to trade Mayo eventually. His name has been brought up in rumors so often its pretty much a guarantee he won't re-sign there. I know I wouldn't if the team I was on has tried to trade me like 10 times.

He would be an interesting fit for the Jazz at the 2 guard spot, we prolly can't trade for him though.

MrfadeawayJB
01-15-2012, 06:07 PM
With the way Mayo has been playing i want him in memphis even if it is a 1 yr rental. Morrow isnt a bad trade option though if mayo reverts back to his old ways

Chill_Will_24
01-15-2012, 08:17 PM
Incorrect.

A player dealt after January 16th cannot be traded in a trade package; however, said player is eligible to be traded in a one-for-one deal at anytime prior to the trade deadline.

If the Nets and the Magic were to facilitate a trade, they could break it into multiple transactions. Presumably, it would be: Howard and Turkoglu for Lopez, picks, fillers and Okur and Mayo for Duhon.

The Magic are looking to maximize profits; in the long-term and the short-term. As a result, they will at least hold onto Dwight Howard until the All-Star break. Aside from that, I don't know what they're doing. Let's not forget that Otis Smith has already accepted a trade with the Nets involving Dwight Howard -- it was a done deal -- but Magic ownership turned it down.

Also: Some house-cleaning for the thread; there are conflicting reports coming out of Memphis and New York. While Ron Tillery of the Memphis Commercial Appeal reports that the deal is waiting on the Grizzles, Fred Kerber of the New York Post reports (http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/nets/deron_returns_to_utah_deaBD4lr4Wgu5bZNhEhBsK) that "the Nets could do the deal if they wanted to."

Appreciate the info. Who would you rather lose in a deal for Dwight? Brooks or Mayo? And why?

THE MTL
01-15-2012, 08:48 PM
OJ Mayo is just in the wrong situation in Memphis but the guy is bursting with potential and once he finds the right team that will give him playing time. He'd be 20+ppg 5apg to go along with it.

Young and Stupid
01-15-2012, 09:19 PM
Appreciate the info. Who would you rather lose in a deal for Dwight? Brooks or Mayo? And why?

I don't know if I can give a definitive answer to the question. I'd like to see Mayo play more (preferably in a Nets uniform), so that I can get a better read on him as a player.

I'm very impressed by MarShon Brooks from what I've seen. I expected him to outperform his draft selection, but I didn't think he would be this good. Not only does he play like a veteran -- he's crafty, he's under-control, he's poised -- but he's also a very good passer for a player who was regarded, in some respects, as a chucker. He also has some good defensive potential because of his ungodly wing-span and knack for effectively jumping passing lanes.

If I had to give an answer, right now, I'd probably say OJ Mayo. From what I've seen of him, he has more potential than Brooks. However, as I said, it could be a situation where I've seen more good than bad from Mayo and am getting seduced by the fact that he was a top-3 pick. I'd be happy if the Nets were able to keep either one, though.

Note: This is kind of off-topic, but I think the Nets have a very good piece in Bojan Bogdanovic. If they're able to retain him after a potential Howard deal then I'd be very pleased.

VinceCarter
01-15-2012, 09:29 PM

You say this like the Nets will have DWill and Dwight and NOTHING. People will join the Brooklyn Nets if they have Dwight and DWill in place. Miami Heat anyone???? Stop hating and open your eyes I'm sick of people not THINKING.

Chill_Will_24
01-15-2012, 09:41 PM
I don't know if I can give a definitive answer to the question. I'd like to see Mayo play more (preferably in a Nets uniform), so that I can get a better read on him as a player.

I'm very impressed by MarShon Brooks from what I've seen. I expected him to outperform his draft selection, but I didn't think he would be this good. Not only does he play like a veteran -- he's crafty, he's under-control, he's poised -- but he's also a very good passer for a player who was regarded, in some respects, as a chucker. He also has some good defensive potential because of his ungodly wing-span and knack for effectively jumping passing lanes.

If I had to give an answer, right now, I'd probably say OJ Mayo. From what I've seen of him, he has more potential than Brooks. However, as I said, it could be a situation where I've seen more good than bad from Mayo and am getting seduced by the fact that he was a top-3 pick. I'd be happy if the Nets were able to keep either one, though.

Note: This is kind of off-topic, but I think the Nets have a very good piece in Bojan Bogdanovic. If they're able to retain him after a potential Howard deal then I'd be very pleased.

Bojan Bogdanovic is terribly inconsistent. He has gotten into a groove lately so if he keeps it up then i, like you, will be pleased to keep him.

As for Mayo and Brooks i have no idea hence why i asked your opinion. I havent watched Mayo at all exept thru the playoffs last year while i have aptly watched every Nets game (ugh) just to watch Brooks play. He is the only player besides Deron that doesnt make me cringe when i see him get the ball. The only knock i have on him is that he looks somewhat slow and unathletic when i watch him but that may just be me.

By all accounts Brooks is also very coachable whereas ive heard different for Mayo.

llemon
01-15-2012, 09:51 PM
Aren't opinions quite diversified, making them beautiful forum fodder.

Sadds The Gr8
01-15-2012, 10:40 PM
I think it would be a great pickup for the Nets. they need scoring badly.

IversonIsKrazy
01-15-2012, 11:20 PM
I'll give the Grizz Brewer + CJ Watson + 1st rounder for OJ. OJ is just being underrated by misused by the Grizz GM