PDA

View Full Version : Pretenders or Contenders?

PacersForLife
01-15-2012, 02:54 AM
Saw this on NBA tonight on ESPN and was wondering everyone else's thoughts.
The teams mentioned were: Pacers, 76ers, Trail-blazers, Knicks, and Jazz. How would you rate these teams as far as being contenders or pretenders? I would also like to include the Nuggets, although they weren't mentioned on the show.

BirdIsTheWord
01-15-2012, 03:02 AM
Trailblazers and possibly 76ers would be the only contenders in that group, IMO.

XpLiCiTT
01-15-2012, 03:03 AM
If by contender you actually mean could win a championship, then they are all pretenders. But if you mean just remain competitive throughout and maybe win a playoff series or two, then they are all contenders except for the Jazz imo

MacFitz92
01-15-2012, 03:09 AM
Some of those teams could win, but none of them outside of maybe the 76ers and Blazers will have any kind of real chance.

Slimsim
01-15-2012, 03:10 AM
Everyone is a pretender except The 76ers

SMH!
01-15-2012, 03:14 AM
Everyone is a pretender except The 76ers

salty salty

Two-3
01-15-2012, 03:36 AM
Knicks pretenders? Some salty dudes in here.

PacersForLife
01-15-2012, 03:42 AM
If by contender you actually mean could win a championship, then they are all pretenders. But if you mean just remain competitive throughout and maybe win a playoff series or two, then they are all contenders except for the Jazz imo

The way they put it on the show was for both the playoffs and actual contenders for the championship.

PacersForLife
01-15-2012, 03:44 AM
Just to put my two cents in, the 76ers, Pacers, Nuggets, and Blazers all could give any team a run for their money in a playoff series if they are healthy. All of them are probably equally deep.

Note: Sixers and Pacers are tied for 3rd best record in the league at 9-3. I know it's early, but how many of you would have predicted that?

phen0m
01-15-2012, 03:46 AM
Knicks pretenders? Some intelligent dudes in here.

I agree.

Sportfan
01-15-2012, 03:54 AM
Sixers are pretenders, schedule is soft as balls, call me in the first 2 weeks of Febuary when they actually face good teams

Knicks and Blazers can be contenders if they get in

bovice163
01-15-2012, 12:19 PM
Knicks pretenders? Some salty dudes in here.

Have they shown otherwise in the last two seasons? And why would anyone be salty?

76ers and Blazers I'd say are the only 'contenders' in that list, with the Knicks being the pretenders. The Jazz and Pacers shouldn't be considered either, because they haven't even made the jump to being winning playoff teams. Yeah the Sixers haven't either, but they're closer in terms of roster depth and talent.

Cal827
01-15-2012, 12:19 PM
Saw this on NBA tonight on ESPN and was wondering everyone else's thoughts.
The teams mentioned were: Pacers, 76ers, Trail-blazers, Knicks, and Jazz. How would you rate these teams as far as being contenders or pretenders? I would also like to include the Nuggets, although they weren't mentioned on the show.

Pacers: Contenders: They got Paul George, end of story.
76ers: Contenders: Good depth, underrated coach
Trail-Blazers: Pretenders, They don't have much depth. LA is a little overrated IMO
Knicks: Pretenders, unless Shumpert is the next MJ, but if that's so, then I'm pretty sure that the Knicks and their fans probably don't want anything MJ near them :D
Jazz: Ultimate Pretenders... aren't they supposed to be in a rebuild lol
Nuggets: Contenders, like Philly/Indy, they have lots of depth

PacersForLife
01-15-2012, 12:30 PM
Have they shown otherwise in the last two seasons? And why would anyone be salty?

76ers and Blazers I'd say are the only 'contenders' in that list, with the Knicks being the pretenders. The Jazz and Pacers shouldn't be considered either, because they haven't even made the jump to being winning playoff teams. Yeah the Sixers haven't either, but they're closer in terms of roster depth and talent.

I respect your opinion, but answer me this.... The 76ers and Pacers have the same record and each have about 7-8 guys that can go for 20 points on any given night. So why are you comparing the Jazz to the Pacers? Both teams were low seeds last year and now both are tied for 3rd best record in the league and have equal depth. (Both being the 76ers and Pacers)

Sixerlover
01-15-2012, 12:35 PM
Like someone else said, if contenders means the title, then they are all pretenders (dark horse Portland)

But if contenders means winning a playoff series or 2, then all of them minus the Jazz have a great shot at it.

PacersForLife
01-15-2012, 12:37 PM
Like someone else said, if contenders means the title, then they are all pretenders (dark horse Portland)

But if contenders means winning a playoff series or 2, then all of them minus the Jazz have a great shot at it.

That's how I feel.

kozelkid
01-15-2012, 12:38 PM

:nod:

Was gonna post the exact same thing. I tempted to include Denver as well seeing as Lawson looks to be a star, but still, none are really contenders except maybe Portland.

That doesn't mean, however, that none of those teams aren't incredibly dangerous in a 7 game series. As a Bulls fan, I'd hate to face NY or Philly in the first round, for instance.

RLundi
01-15-2012, 12:58 PM
Pacers and Blazers are contenders...