PDA

View Full Version : What are the Magic missing?

king2218
01-14-2012, 07:47 PM
The season is very young & we've already seen the ups/downs of this Magic team...lost to Chicago due to rebounding & crushed portland at their home the most of the game. Beat a good, up n coming Golden State team at their own game. They seem on the cusp of being a great team from time to time...what's missing?

SportsFanatic10
01-14-2012, 07:51 PM
i think the magic need a star guard. a great passing point like a steve nash would do wonders for that team. but the defense outside of howard needs some improvement i'd say as well.

bmd1101
01-14-2012, 08:12 PM
The season is very young & we've already seen the ups/downs of this Magic team...lost to Chicago due to rebounding & crushed portland at their home the most of the game. Beat a good, up n coming Golden State team at their own game. They seem on the cusp of being a great team from time to time...what's missing?

Speed, perimeter defense, and a solid bench scorer.

Geargo Wallace
01-14-2012, 08:15 PM
Their bigs are fine. I think they need better guards.

king2218
01-14-2012, 08:18 PM
Wafer & Reddick have the ability to fill in the bench scorer...Hedo looks to be playing at the same level as the finals year (2009)...Is Jameer Nelson this team's only problem/weak link?

KB-Pau-DH2012
01-14-2012, 08:18 PM
They are missing Andrew Bynum! ;)

Iodine
01-14-2012, 08:24 PM
Wings and a better bench.

shep33
01-14-2012, 08:31 PM
Wings and a better bench.

This.

shep33
01-14-2012, 08:32 PM
Redick, Turk, and Ryan Anderson are also playing at a very very high level. For them to win they essentially have to do that throughout the playoffs. I think they can make a deep run, but it'll be difficult because they have to play flawlessly come playoffs (Again Anderson, Turk, and Redick).

bovice163
01-14-2012, 08:42 PM
An offense that doesn't involve chucking.

bmd1101
01-14-2012, 08:44 PM

Thats not going to change

Vidball
01-14-2012, 09:14 PM
They are missing Andrew Bynum! ;)

:clap:

RLundi
01-14-2012, 09:16 PM

Yes, because games are won by NOT shooting :rolleyes:

Any semblance of a solid point guard and they are serious contenders.

Gators123
01-14-2012, 09:36 PM
Talent outside of Howard.

kblo247
01-14-2012, 09:41 PM
Jameer and J-Rich have to go or be uber consistent. It really comes down to those two stepping uup and being playoff performers every night

IndyRealist
01-14-2012, 10:44 PM
They play a flawed system. They rely on Howard getting doubled and freeing up an outside shooter. Any team that can play Dwight single coverage makes their shooters non-effective. And while not every team has a center that can play him solo, most of the good teams do. So what they need, in essence, is a plan B.

RLundi
01-14-2012, 10:57 PM
They play a flawed system. They rely on Howard getting doubled and freeing up an outside shooter. Any team that can play Dwight single coverage makes their shooters non-effective. And while not every team has a center that can play him solo, most of the good teams do. So what they need, in essence, is a plan B.

By my count, only the Lakers and the Thunder have centers that can force Dwight off the block and make him less effective. The system isn't flawed at all. Playing inside-out is the blueprint to a team with a dominating big man to have success. The reason it's called Plan B is because it doesn't work as well as Plan A.

This is tried and true; why deviate from that?

IndyRealist
01-14-2012, 11:22 PM
By my count, only the Lakers and the Thunder have centers that can force Dwight off the block and make him less effective. The system isn't flawed at all. Playing inside-out is the blueprint to a team with a dominating big man to have success. The reason it's called Plan B is because it doesn't work as well as Plan A.

This is tried and true; why deviate from that?

Dwight can go for 30 and still lose. The defender doesn't have to keep him under 20, he just has to get him to work and shoot under 60%. The rest of the defense stays at home on the 3pt shooters. Dwight can't beat you by himself, though he certainly tries. I'd include Roy Hibbert, Joel Anthony, Tyson Chandler, Andrew Bynum, and Kendrick Perkins as centers on playoff teams that can play Dwight single coverage. On lottery teams I'd also include Emeka Okafor, Andrew Bogut if he's healthy and maybe Marcin Gortat.

PacersForLife
01-14-2012, 11:29 PM
A legit PF next to Dwight, a stronger bench, pass-first PG, maybe fire their coach.

slynxpac
01-15-2012, 12:58 AM
they need consistency..

Raph12
01-15-2012, 02:34 AM
They need a legitimate PG, a guy who could create for himself and others... Even the tiniest bit of perimeter defense would help also.

iggypop123
01-15-2012, 02:41 AM
have no bench. signing richardson was a mistake. he is a role player at the moment no need to give him the full MLE. they need a wing that can create. but unfortunately for them its not coming. their only asset is a point guard.

Geargo Wallace
01-15-2012, 03:15 AM

get real.

Daunter
01-15-2012, 08:49 AM
They need a backup C

Iodine
01-15-2012, 10:21 AM
Paul George is 6'10"

MagicBucsSox
01-15-2012, 10:40 AM
A new GM

Kleonidas
01-15-2012, 11:12 AM
A new GM
:clap:winner:

RLundi
01-15-2012, 02:44 PM
Dwight can go for 30 and still lose. The defender doesn't have to keep him under 20, he just has to get him to work and shoot under 60%. The rest of the defense stays at home on the 3pt shooters. Dwight can't beat you by himself, though he certainly tries. I'd include Roy Hibbert, Joel Anthony, Tyson Chandler, Andrew Bynum, and Kendrick Perkins as centers on playoff teams that can play Dwight single coverage. On lottery teams I'd also include Emeka Okafor, Andrew Bogut if he's healthy and maybe Marcin Gortat.

You're kidding.

Dwight Howard head-to-head with these centers since 2009:

vs Hibbert: 21.1 ppg
vs Anthony: 17.3 ppg
vs. Chandler: 21 ppg
vs. Bynum: 23.4 ppg
vs. Bogut: 21.3 ppg
vs. Perkins: 15.7 ppg
vs. Okafor: 24.7 ppg

As you can see, the only cases that can be made are Perkins and Anthony. I said only Perkins and Bynum can guard Dwight without help. I chose Bynum because he's the only center that literally towers over Dwight and makes him look puny. Anthony's statistics should be taken with an asterisk because Dwight still shot over 55% over him. He's incredibly undersized and doesn't guard Dwight that well but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt due to the statistics.

The other players are laughable against Dwight, especially Okafor. I'm unsure why you listed him; you must have had no idea Dwight routinely lights him up, including a 45-point and 19-rebound showing. Gortat is also laughable, but the sample size is too small, as Dwight poured in 26 against him in one game. But the fact that you included him, in addition to all these centers, proves that you're just grasping at straws and don't have much of an idea of what you are talking about.

waveycrockett
01-15-2012, 03:30 PM
Their backcourt is washed up and Turk and Anderson are playing above their heads. They will not continue to shoot this hot thru the entire season and playoffs. Outside of Dwight Howard they dont have a stopper on the perimeter. They will get crushed by elite teams in the East.

Chi StateOfMind
01-15-2012, 03:38 PM

They need to run a fluent offense that doesnt involve shooting threes all night.

Geargo Wallace
01-15-2012, 05:39 PM
Paul George is 6'10"

No freakin' way!

AnalyzeNShoot
01-15-2012, 05:58 PM
Magic really dont give changes to guys who could be useful.

Earl Clark, Daniel Orton, I mean they have Baby davis playing center
u gotta give change to young players to develop on your team when
your over the cap and dont sign and major free agents.

I mean look at Bulls, Asik, Gibson they are young but they guy minutes
atleast to develop their games, SVG gives minutes to players with no hope
Duhon, and w.e crap on their bench

JasonJohnHorn
01-15-2012, 06:59 PM
Depth in the front court. They have Dwight, and then.... Yeah. As good as he is, he can't do it by himself. Hakeem needed Thorpe, Dwight needs a legit double-digit rebounder alongside him as well, and one that has a respectable offensive game.