PDA

View Full Version : The transition from an elite player on rookie contract to high paid player

FlawlessVictory
01-14-2012, 04:43 PM
What players who have just gotten a big contract or are due to get big contract in the next year or two will successfully or unsuccessfully make the transition?

Always interesting to compare what players are happy to settle for one big contract and significantly lower their production to players who continue to work hard and improve their games even though there are 'rich' and set up for life already...

A few to get started:

Successful transition:

Durrant
D Rose
Serge Ibaka
James Harden
Steph Curry

Unsuccessful transition

Brandon Jennings
Joakim Noah (The signs of his reduced energy are already there)
Kevin Love (I rate him highly, but he is going to get a max deal imo and wont live up to that pressure)
Tyreke Evans

Views...

Iman>mj
01-14-2012, 04:54 PM
Curry with those ankles?

FlawlessVictory
01-14-2012, 04:55 PM
Curry with those ankles?
I should have put a * next to that one... if he can get his ankle issues sorted.

Heediot
01-14-2012, 04:57 PM
Curry with those ankles?

His ankles are f***ed by getting pwned on defense.

Iman>mj
01-14-2012, 05:01 PM
Feel bad for curry if he could stay healthy he would be a top 5 pg... Hes so smooth and polished.

Demon11
01-14-2012, 05:14 PM
Brandon Jennings has never been elite and will not get a big contract. As for Tyreke Evans, hes playing better than his rookie year and is getting better.

Cal827
01-14-2012, 05:25 PM
Westbrook? Despite the issues with Durant, he's still a damn good young pg who will likely get a near max deal.

FlawlessVictory
01-14-2012, 05:29 PM
Westbrook? Despite the issues with Durant, he's still a damn good young pg who will likely get a near max deal.
What category would you put him into when he gets his big deal?

I think he will do well.

Cal827
01-14-2012, 05:36 PM
What category would you put him into when he gets his big deal?

I think he will do well.

I agree. He has his struggles at times but he is still young. Give him time and I think he'll be a top 3 point guard. It does amaze me that so many people gave up on him, after a single bad playoff year.

Iodine
01-14-2012, 05:38 PM
Serge Ibaka's 5 mil over the next too seasons is such a massive contract, no idea how the Thunder manage around it.

Raph12
01-14-2012, 05:52 PM
Tyreke and Love are both better than Harden, Ibaka and Curry... Ibaka is not elite, by any means, Curry is an elite shooter and Harden needs more good games under his belt before saying he's completed that transition.

FlawlessVictory
01-14-2012, 05:55 PM
Serge Ibaka's 5 mil over the next too seasons is such a massive contract, no idea how the Thunder manage around it.

What players who have just gotten a big contract or are due to get big contract in the next year or two will successfully or unsuccessfully make the transition?

Bother reading the original post.... na, didnt think so.

FlawlessVictory
01-14-2012, 05:57 PM
Tyreke and Love are both better than Harden, Ibaka and Curry... Ibaka is not elite, by any means, Curry is an elite shooter and Harden needs more good games under his belt before saying he's completed that transition.
I never said the likes of Love was not a better player than Ibaka etc... the point of the thread is how players production will be impacted when they start making big money...

Honestly, people just post a random reply rather than taking 2 seconds to read the thread title and opening post.

gaughan333
01-14-2012, 06:19 PM
Did the Noah situation bring this about?

FlawlessVictory
01-14-2012, 06:34 PM
Did the Noah situation bring this about?
Partly, but I do think its interesting when a player essentially becomes set financially for the rest of their lives, how they react to it and how it impacts on their production moving forward...

BallIsAll
01-14-2012, 09:02 PM
Arron afflalo has had a successful transition