PDA

View Full Version : Ty Lawson

BallIsAll
01-14-2012, 05:05 AM
Many of us nuggets fans think ty lawson will grow to become a star in this league what do you guys think and where do you guys think he ranks alongside other pgs?

Alayla
01-14-2012, 05:09 AM
Jrue>> lawson no disrespect

BallIsAll
01-14-2012, 05:12 AM

explain?

BallIsAll
01-14-2012, 05:14 AM

jrue plays more minutes and averages weaker numbers than lawson, lawson is also more efficient. Also lawson has players he defers to such as gallinari afflalo miller harrington and nene while jrue has ? iggy?

Jrue EFF: + 14.90
Lawson EFF: + 18.30

both have 2 years pro.

Alayla
01-14-2012, 05:27 AM
jrue plays more minutes and averages weaker numbers than lawson, lawson is also more efficient. Also lawson has players he defers to such as gallinari afflalo miller harrington and nene while jrue has ? iggy?

Jrue EFF: + 14.90
Lawson EFF: + 18.30

both have 2 years pro.

Now THAT'S disrepsectfull
The sixers as of now are regarded as one of the deepest teams in the leauge with the nbas best bench to boot
I have respect for the nuggets and have liked them since the camby and ai days as a 3rd or 4th favotire team so I understand your a nicely rounded team not as much as last year but yes now to answer your question Evan Turner *much better this year playing well in every way* iggy brand < obvious you where intentually insulting us when u didn't mention brand nik vucivc (guy is gonna be good) SPENCER HAWES (double double guy this year) Thad young and jodie meeks

Also jrue has to spilt time with lou willams
(Much like lawson with miller)
If you want to aruge your player is better that's fine but no need to be an *** about it

Bulls_fan90
01-14-2012, 05:28 AM
explain?

He can't explain, because it's not true. He's a BEAST. Love him. He will be a star, if he's not one already. One of my fav non-Bulls players.

Alayla
01-14-2012, 05:30 AM
The sixers are a team where any one of 8 or 9 guys could go off for 20 on any given night don't speak as if jrue and iggy = the sixers

BallIsAll
01-14-2012, 05:31 AM
The sixers as of now are regarded as one of the deepest teams in the leauge with the nbas best bench to boot
I have respect for the nuggets and have liked them since the camby and ai days as a 3rd or 4th favotire team so I understand your a nicely rounded team not as much as last year but yes now to answer your question Evan Turner *much better this year playing well in every way* iggy brand < obvious you where intentually insulting us when u didn't mention brand nik vucivc (guy is gonna be good) SPENCER HAWES (double double guy this year) Thad young and jodie meeks

If you want to aruge your player is better that's fine but no need to be an *** about it

Im sorry i wasnt trynna be disrespectful but all the numbers back lawson up. The numbers jrue is putting up this year lawson practically put up last year backing billups up half the season.

Fun fact jrue is 6"4 180 pounds and lawson is 5"11 195 pounds :speechless:

Bulls_fan90
01-14-2012, 05:32 AM

Pot meet Kettle?

How can you call him disrespectful when you come into a thread about Ty Lawson and post 'Jrue>>Lawson'?

This thread has nothing to do with Jrue (who is also a great talent).

BallIsAll
01-14-2012, 05:33 AM
The sixers are a team where any one of 8 or 9 guys could go off for 20 on any given night don't speak as if jrue and iggy = the sixers

The nuggets have more talent on their team than the sixers have. Im sorry for breaking it down to you like that. The nuggets have players who were actual starters coming off the bench. 4 of them to be exact.

BallIsAll
01-14-2012, 05:33 AM
He can't explain, because it's not true. He's a BEAST. Love him. He will be a star, if he's not one already. One of my fav non-Bulls players.

Thanks i dont think he has the im a star mentality yet but when he does i think he'll be very good

Alayla
01-14-2012, 05:36 AM
Im sorry i wasnt trynna be disrespectful but all the numbers back lawson up. The numbers jrue is putting up this year lawson practically put up last year backing billups up half the season.

Fun fact jrue is 6"4 180 pounds and lawson is 5"11 195 pounds :speechless:

Wicth is why I think jrue will end up better he has the size to defend both guard postions and is allready a great 2 way player and jrue hasn't played his best ball this year last season is probibly a better year to compare to lawson this year honestly
Don't get me wrong lawson is a nice little player and defeintly under credited but if I where building a franchise id take jrue

Alayla
01-14-2012, 05:39 AM
The nuggets have more talent on their team than the sixers have. Im sorry for breaking it down to you like that. The nuggets have players who were actual starters coming off the bench. 4 of them to be exact.

Evan turner thad young and lou will would start on most nba teams that's pritty much common nba knowlege at this point but yes the nuggets are a very deep team there no denying that

Bulls_fan90
Thanks i dont think he has the im a star mentality yet but when he does i think he'll be very good

I've followed him from his days at UNC. He was the key to their National Championship. I always thought he'd make a great pro at NBA level. Each year he seems to take it to another level, which is a great sign for the future. Denver have a great team.

BallIsAll
Wicth is why I think jrue will end up better he has the size to defend both guard postions and is allready a great 2 way player and jrue hasn't played his best ball this year last season is probibly a better year to compare to lawson this year honestly
Don't get me wrong lawson is a nice little player and defeintly under credited but if I where building a franchise id take jrue

IMO jrue without brand or iggy on that team would be a 12 win team. He's light for his height and doesn't posses good court vision which is why his assists are low. The only thing he's better than Lawson at is 3s and that's just a tad bit better.

BallIsAll
01-14-2012, 05:41 AM
Evan turner thad young and lou will would start on most nba teams that's pritty much common nba knowlege at this point but yes the nuggets are a very deep team there no denying that

None of those guys would start for competitors. Lou is just like nick young turner still is unproven and young is a great young player. Lawson > jrue

Alayla
01-14-2012, 05:47 AM
None of those guys would start for competitors. Lou is just like nick young turner still is unproven and young is a great young player. Lawson > jrue

Typically players who are drafted #2 and would be getting 14/6/4 per 36 min
Start you calling turner unproven just shows you don't wacth the sixers

northsider
01-14-2012, 11:25 AM
This was my pick for the up coming star this year. Love Lawson's game allot.

blahblahyoutoo
01-14-2012, 11:32 AM
He's going to be solid.
Not quite nash/cp3/deron tier.
Maybe on the level of billups in his prime.

Jint.
01-14-2012, 11:47 AM
love Ty Lawson from him college days, wanted the Knicks to take him in that draft..

nycericanguy
01-14-2012, 12:06 PM
He's a very, very good PG and extremely fast. DEN has been a better team since he took over the starting job.

That being said there are just so many good/great PG's in the NBA today so I'm not sure where you rank him. Off the top of my head...

CP3
Deron
Nash
Westbrook
Rondo
Rose
Curry

He's def top 10 to me now.

coryd238
01-14-2012, 12:11 PM
He's a very, very good PG and extremely fast. DEN has been a better team since he took over the starting job.

That being said there are just so many good/great PG's in the NBA today so I'm not sure where you rank him. Off the top of my head...

CP3
Deron
Nash
Westbrook
Rondo
Rose
Curry

He's def top 10 to me now.

I'd easily take Ty over Curry, and would probably take him over Westbrook too. He's much more efficient than them, has a better mindset, a better play maker, and knows when to score instead of forcing things like Westbrook does.

omdigga
01-14-2012, 12:13 PM
i think he has star potential.. his second gear is unreal.. the guy is just too fast..

i like the denver team a lot.. they just keep coming at you..

i also love what Karl said about having superstars.. "a team makes superstars, superstars dont make a team" or something to that extent.. he has his guys believing and it shows..

RLundi
01-14-2012, 12:17 PM

How is he being an *** about anything? He's proven you wrong and exposed your homerism. He's right, Lawson is better than Holiday in virtually every single offensive statistic. And it's really not even close. Lawson has been phenomenal this season, exponentially better than Jrue.

PER: 22.3 vs 15.7
True shooting %: .603 vs .531
Effective field goal %: .551 vs .500
Assist %: 30.7 vs 19.9
Turnover %: 14.8 vs 16.8
Usage %: 22.4 vs 21.7
Offensive win shares: 1.2 vs 0.4

Lawson is obviously far more superior. What on earth are you trying to argue?

nycericanguy
01-14-2012, 12:22 PM
I'd easily take Ty over Curry, and would probably take him over Westbrook too. He's much more efficient than them, has a better mindset, a better play maker, and knows when to score instead of forcing things like Westbrook does.

no way, I like Lawson, but Curry at 22 averaged 19ppg 6apg & 4rpg on 48% fg's 44% 3's and 93% ft's. How many 22 year olds in NBA history put up those numbers?

thats insane Nash like Efficiency. Keep in mind that was playing alongside one of the biggest ball hogs in the NBA. Once GSW gets rid of Ellis, Curry will really flourish IMO unless his ankle is a real problem.

And Westbrook might be off to a slow start, but you're talking about a guy that produced last year at a near Derrick Rose level. lets not write him off just yet. He just turned 23!

bovice163
01-14-2012, 12:25 PM

The only reason you'd take Ty over Curry is injuries, otherwise Curry is the better player in just about every facet of the game. Ty maybe one of the quickest guards in the league, but quickness doesn't correlate to being a great PG. He is a very good PG, but not great. The lack of an outside shooting touch, and not being an overly good defender is keeping him out of the top spots.

Rose
CP3
DWill
Westbrook
Rondo
Curry
Lowry
Lawson
Holiday
etc.

coryd238
01-14-2012, 12:29 PM
The only reason you'd take Ty over Curry is injuries, otherwise Curry is the better player in just about every facet of the game. Ty maybe one of the quickest guards in the league, but quickness doesn't correlate to being a great PG. He is a very good PG, but not great. The lack of an outside shooting touch, and not being an overly good defender is keeping him out of the top spots.

Rose
CP3
DWill
Westbrook
Rondo
Curry
Lowry
Lawson
Holiday
etc.

Ty is actually pretty good from deep, not great like Steph... but decent enough. And from what I've seen, Ty's better than Curry defensively. Steals and BPG =/= a good defensive player.

bovice163
01-14-2012, 12:33 PM
Ty is actually pretty good from deep, not great like Steph... but decent enough. And from what I've seen, Ty's better than Curry defensively. Steals and BPG =/= a good defensive player.

I wasn't attempting to say steals/blocks = defense, simply Curry has the slight size and length advantage over Lawson, which gives him a significant edge over Lawson against the bigger stronger PGs in the league. I'm not downplaying Lawson, but I feel he may be overwhelmed with some of the PG match ups in the league. Even though it would be a small sample size, we haven't seen Lawson up against the really elite PGs in the league this season, so I could very well be eating my words when it happens.

d nuggets fan
01-14-2012, 12:38 PM
Yea - Curry is better - hope he stays healthy.
Westbrooke - His talent is there, but I don't think his ego does him any favors.

Ty is great and has more upside to go. The unique thing about him is his speed and mass combined. You can't knock him off down the lane or out on the perimeter. His size hasn't been a liability on defense, his shot is really developing, both 3 and mid range. He always always finishes at the rim. He gets very little love from the refs which is gonna change.

Heediot
01-14-2012, 12:47 PM
Dude is very fundamentally sound. Very very nice young player.

thekmp211
01-14-2012, 01:00 PM
he's absolutely legit, not sure if he's an all-star because the position is so stacked. once nash retires or moves east he might get a shot. still, paul, westbrook, curry, with lowry coming on very strong as well. rubio one day maybe. it's a deep field but lawson belongs.

Geargo Wallace
01-14-2012, 01:02 PM
I like Lawson a lot. The kid is a baller.

PacersForLife
01-14-2012, 01:08 PM
Ty Lawson is a good player, liked the way the Nuggets took it to the Heat last night. As for Jrue Holiday, I've never understood all the hype around him. He has potential, but what has he done that has all Philly fans thinking he will be great?

THE GIPPER
01-14-2012, 01:11 PM
He's playing great and his 3 ball hasnt started falling yet. He's shot it at over 40% his first two years so hopefully he gets back to near that number this season.

nycericanguy
01-14-2012, 01:21 PM
Ty Lawson is a good player, liked the way the Nuggets took it to the Heat last night. As for Jrue Holiday, I've never understood all the hype around him. He has potential, but what has he done that has all Philly fans thinking he will be great?

I think Holiday & Derozan both get overhyped quite a bit.

DenButsu
01-14-2012, 01:33 PM
Thread title correction:

"Ty Lawsome"

kjoke
01-14-2012, 01:37 PM
Wait jrue is better because Sixers have depth? Coulda sworn nuggets were pretty deep themselves

BallIsAll
01-14-2012, 02:15 PM
Thanks for your input Guys I'm glad Lawson is getting respect around the league he's a special player.

Federal Reserve
01-14-2012, 02:22 PM
Lawson is a top three point guard in the league this season, right after Chris Paul and Kyle Lowry.

BallIsAll
01-14-2012, 02:54 PM
Lawson is a top three point guard in the league this season, right after Chris Paul and Kyle Lowry.

I can't agree.. Derrick rose rondo Nash and a few others are supreme guards

Federal Reserve
01-14-2012, 03:00 PM

Rose is a good shooting guard, Nash is too old to be compared to Lawson, and Williams has been playing like crap this season. Like I said before, I am referring to this season alone.

P Styles
01-14-2012, 03:04 PM
Lawson is SICK. Which is why it kills me that the Nuggets demanded Raymond Felton in the Carmelo trade =(

THey were already taking all of our young fan favorites..... =/

dtmagnet
01-14-2012, 03:08 PM
I don't know about star/all star but the guy is just a straight up winner, probably as a result of his UNC experience.

IgglesFanInCO
01-14-2012, 03:28 PM

Rose
CP3
DWill
Westbrook
Rondo
Curry
Lowry
Lawson
Holiday
etc.

I think youre underestimating ty's strength and defense, the kid can defend the toughest pgs, he has quick hands and limits cuts to the basket from opposing pgs, he suffers a little from length to block shots or anything but he has good technique and gets a hand in guys faces, this kid is tough and scrappy, i think he has upside that rivals any other pg in the league and right now he is a second tier guy with the westbrook down group on your list

NSJ
01-14-2012, 03:28 PM
Rose is a good shooting guard, Nash is too old to be compared to Lawson, and Williams has been playing like crap this season. Like I said before, I am referring to this season alone.

I disagree. Rose has averaged the most assists of his career, 8.5, so I can't see how you categorize him at the 2 this year. Naturally he looked like a true SG but is developing in to a pretty good distributor this season alone. And you forgot to mention Rondo

Alayla
01-14-2012, 04:00 PM
Thanks for your input Guys I'm glad Lawson is getting respect around the league he's a special player.

Yeah he really is very fun to wacth too. In no way do I want anything I said earlyer to detract from that he's a nice under valued talent

Alayla
01-14-2012, 04:02 PM
How is he being an *** about anything? He's proven you wrong and exposed your homerism. He's right, Lawson is better than Holiday in virtually every single offensive statistic. And it's really not even close. Lawson has been phenomenal this season, exponentially better than Jrue.

PER: 22.3 vs 15.7
True shooting %: .603 vs .531
Effective field goal %: .551 vs .500
Assist %: 30.7 vs 19.9
Turnover %: 14.8 vs 16.8
Usage %: 22.4 vs 21.7
Offensive win shares: 1.2 vs 0.4

Lawson is obviously far more superior. What on earth are you trying to argue?

For one that's its to early in the season to be pulling out the stats xD also he was comming of as an *** bring up depth and people lawson has to defer to and made it seem as though philly had no other good players
However he has cleared up the statment I was offened about however as of now I take holiday over lawson if I'm building a team I may be in the mintory but as he said there's a huge diffence between 6.4 and 5.11
It stands to reason holiday will have a longer carrer and will be better on the defenivce end of the floor
And I value defence over offence any day. Btw the homerism thing doesn't really play a factor as I strongly follow both teamswhy is it that if a person holds an oppoin on a player of there own team others don't argee with they MUST be a homer?

Mudvayne91
01-14-2012, 04:06 PM
His ability to make adjustments in the air when he's going for layups is amazing to me. He makes Centers look silly. I also love the fact that he is an unselfish PG. They are a dying bread nowadays.

Alayla
01-14-2012, 04:07 PM
Wait jrue is better because Sixers have depth? Coulda sworn nuggets were pretty deep themselves

No that wasn't my arugement ?-?
That was because he pulled the depth card to make lawson seem in a whole nother leauge and that was disrepectfull if I remmber. Correctly. He was saying lawson has players he has to defer to miller nene harrington etc who does holdiay have iggy?

BallIsAll
01-14-2012, 04:40 PM
For one that's its to early in the season to be pulling out the stats xD also he was comming of as an *** bring up depth and people lawson has to defer to and made it seem as though philly had no other good players
However he has cleared up the statment I was offened about however as of now I take holiday over lawson if I'm building a team I may be in the mintory but as he said there's a huge diffence between 6.4 and 5.11
It stands to reason holiday will have a longer carrer and will be better on the defenivce end of the floor
And I value defence over offence any day. Btw the homerism thing doesn't really play a factor as I strongly follow both teamswhy is it that if a person holds an oppoin on a player of there own team others don't argee with they MUST be a homer?

Although he has 5 inches on Lawson, Lawson has 15 pounds on him and is a lot quicker. Lawson is a great defensive player and he's not really a liability on that end of the court so your argument is invalid. Jrue is not a better defensive player just because he's taller, I don't even think he's a better defensive player at all. Lawson has the ability to run an offense and when the offense is struggling get his own. Hes unselfish and I'm sorry if I sound like a homer but he's in a higher league than jrue. All in all this thread was about getting people's opinions on Ty Lawson not comparing him to other players.

Federal Reserve
01-14-2012, 04:56 PM
Top five point guards (based on stats for this season only)
1. Lowry
2. Paul
3. Rondo
4. Lawson
5. Williams

I did not include Rose because I consider him to be a shooting guard.

astrosmaniac
01-14-2012, 04:56 PM

better players =/= better seasons. but i do agree rose has been better. i think the top 3 PG in terms of performance this year are paul, lowry, and rose in not particular order

that said i love lawson. hes been a stud for my fantasy team

Alayla
01-15-2012, 03:36 AM
Although he has 5 inches on Lawson, Lawson has 15 pounds on him and is a lot quicker. Lawson is a great defensive player and he's not really a liability on that end of the court so your argument is invalid. Jrue is not a better defensive player just because he's taller, I don't even think he's a better defensive player at all. Lawson has the ability to run an offense and when the offense is struggling get his own. Hes unselfish and I'm sorry if I sound like a homer but he's in a higher league than jrue. All in all this thread was about getting people's opinions on Ty Lawson not comparing him to other players.

Well in that case yeah there's no way ty doesn't make the allstar game at some point.
He has just about any tool you can ask for in a guy his size and will be a force in the nba one day

01-15-2012, 04:13 AM

yeh true, athe sixers have played good, and there record says it, but if you look at the games they have played...... then you can see that so far the schedule has been in the 76'ers favour so far.

I have heard a few ppl saying jrue is better than lawson. I mean if you don't want to look at the stats, look at the actually game, lawson does things that only he could do in this league, no joke, kids a star in the making

01-15-2012, 04:15 AM
Typically players who are drafted #2 and would be getting 14/6/4 per 36 min
Start you calling turner unproven just shows you don't wacth the sixers

He's not saying turner is bad, he's just saying on contending teams he would not start, he hasn't proved to the league that he could start on contending teams like portland, spurs, lakers, nuggets, chicago, miami, okc etc.

01-15-2012, 04:23 AM

Rose
CP3
DWill
Westbrook
Rondo
Curry
Lowry
Lawson
Holiday
etc.

Your rite, i love lawson but i wouldn't yet say i'd take him over westbrook, even though lawson is performing alot better this season. But i think you have been misinformed about lawson. He is a solid strong defending PG, and his 'outside shooting touch' is very good. i don't suppose you remember him going 10/10 from deep last year???

Other than that, Lawson needs to gain more confidence in himself as a game changer, his flaws so far is that he is a bit too unselfish at times. He could also improve his ability to create his own jump shot. If he improves in those areas, which i think he can, then he could be top 5 PG in a couple of years

Monta is beast
01-15-2012, 06:49 AM
Lawson is a better player as of now, but I think Holiday has more talent.

Monta is beast
01-15-2012, 06:52 AM
1. Lowry
2. Paul
3. Rondo
4. Lawson
5. Williams

I did not include Rose because I consider him to be a shooting guard.

Why? I know he is known as more of a scoring threat then a passing threat, but he is definitely a point guard.

Swashcuff
01-15-2012, 08:29 AM
1. Lowry
2. Paul
3. Rondo
4. Lawson
5. Williams

I did not include Rose because I don't know anything about basketball.

Fixed

Swashcuff
01-15-2012, 08:31 AM
Lawson is a better player as of now, but I think Holiday has more talent.

Yup this is pretty much is. Holiday has the tools to be a better PG down the road than Ty and is 3 years younger than he is as well.

Holiday's ceiling is higher but Lawson has without question been the better player thus far this season.

Knicks21
01-15-2012, 09:06 AM
Hell be good, say a 16 and 8 guy. But i don't think he will reach the level of a CP3 or a Williams. Nonetheless extremely bring future, will be a very good player.

NYKalltheway
01-15-2012, 09:19 AM
We called him LOL-son in Europe :p

Iodine
01-15-2012, 10:12 AM
Like I said in another thread, Ty Lawson makes everything 77% better. I want him to have sex with my future wife just to make her better.

JEDean89
01-15-2012, 04:03 PM
lawson is one of the best young pg's in the league. he makes everyone on his team better and chooses his shots excellently. he is one of the best in transition and his body control and ability to finish at the rim are extraordinary. he is no slouch from behind the arc and his handle is getting ridiculous. i am thrilled to be a nuggets fan, ever since the melo trade it has been a privilege to watch them. lawson is a player who has gotten much better each year. i don't expect him to be a 20ppg scorer on a team that has so many weapons but his passing ability will allow him to average 10 assists +. he is a 2 way player and has an incredible fearless motor. imo curry, reke, rubio, flynn, holiday and jennings are all inferior to lawson. it's funny too because they were all drafted ahead of him. who was lawson traded for? a draft pick that turned out to be trevor booker.

Kobes a Killer
01-15-2012, 04:25 PM
Hell be good, say a 16 and 8 guy. But i don't think he will reach the level of a CP3 or a Williams. Nonetheless extremely bring future, will be a very good player.

Duh lol:eyebrow:

BallIsAll
01-15-2012, 04:36 PM

He's already averaging more than 16ppg

BallIsAll
01-15-2012, 04:38 PM
lawson is one of the best young pg's in the league. he makes everyone on his team better and chooses his shots excellently. he is one of the best in transition and his body control and ability to finish at the rim are extraordinary. he is no slouch from behind the arc and his handle is getting ridiculous. i am thrilled to be a nuggets fan, ever since the melo trade it has been a privilege to watch them. lawson is a player who has gotten much better each year. i don't expect him to be a 20ppg scorer on a team that has so many weapons but his passing ability will allow him to average 10 assists +. he is a 2 way player and has an incredible fearless motor. imo curry, reke, rubio, flynn, holiday and jennings are all inferior to lawson. it's funny too because they were all drafted ahead of him. who was lawson traded for? a draft pick that turned out to be trevor booker.

I think by the end of the season both Ty and gallo will average 20+ ppg