PDA

View Full Version : Are technical fouls a transfer of wealth from players to the league?

Wade>You
01-14-2012, 02:48 AM
You can't expect the players/coaches to not get mad and lose their temper when the officiating is this bad, but more importantly: the refs are never held accountable by the league.

It's such a sleazy scheme: make enough bad calls in a row that you upset a team and one of their players or coach will eventually lose it because they can be fired or they're trying to make the playoffs or whatever. Hit them with the tech and profit.

They need to do away with the money aspect of technical fouls and perhaps award two free throws instead. I'm sure players/coaches don't wanna be giving away too many FTs so there is still incentive to keep cool on their behalf.

Of course, better officiating would make this all moot.

Wade>You
01-14-2012, 02:51 AM
It gets better if you're the NBA (article from 2010)

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/10/01/techs-fines.ap/index.html
NEW YORK (AP) -- Technical fouls will become twice as expensive this season.

The NBA informed teams that fines for technicals will double from last season's amounts in a memo, the contents of which were confirmed to The Associated Press on Friday.

Players and coaches will now be docked $2,000 for each of their first five technical fouls. The costs rise to $3,000 for the next five, followed by $4,000 for Nos. 11-15. Starting at 16, players are suspended one game for every two technicals, along with $5,000 for each.

The number of technicals could rise this season with the NBA seeking to halt complaining about calls. They will now call technicals for overt gestures, such as punching the air in anger, even if it's not directed at a referee.

Slug3
01-14-2012, 02:57 AM
It could be the same with the Hits in the NFL..... I mean They say they fine them to teach them a lesson... but really. A guy making 120 million on a contract gets fined $5K is not much to him. But the NBA fining a lot of players $5K does add up. It would be nice if they added it to an account to retired players or charity or something. I wonder where all the money goes.

Squad13
01-14-2012, 03:00 AM
Are you ******** me? They make millions of dollars playing the sport.. the fines they get are cheaper than a night at the strip club for alot of these guys. What an awful thread.

kjoke
01-14-2012, 03:11 AM
Wade>You is anything not a conspiracy to you?

Slug3
01-14-2012, 03:22 AM
Are you ******** me? They make millions of dollars playing the sport.. the fines they get are cheaper than a night at the strip club for alot of these guys. What an awful thread.

Must have been a pretty good time then, lol.

bholly
01-14-2012, 03:53 AM
You can't expect the players/coaches to not get mad and lose their temper when the officiating is this bad, but more importantly: the refs are never held accountable by the league.

It's such a sleazy scheme: make enough bad calls in a row that you upset a team and one of their players or coach will eventually lose it because they can be fired or they're trying to make the playoffs or whatever. Hit them with the tech and profit.

They need to do away with the money aspect of technical fouls and perhaps award two free throws instead. I'm sure players/coaches don't wanna be giving away too many FTs so there is still incentive to keep cool on their behalf.

Of course, better officiating would make this all moot.

The problem with this is that there are times (blowouts, for example) where an extra free throw means absolutely nothing. Money is the only thing that's always an incentive.

Cal827
01-14-2012, 03:57 AM
Somebody will fine Wade>You for speaking out against the NBA Refs. You should be expecting a letter from Stern in the next two weeks, sir. :D

Maybe they should putting the money from the fines towards retirement funding, since many players get in serious financial trouble.

Hellcrooner
01-14-2012, 03:58 AM
thats what you get in Fiba.

Technical foul = 2 free trhows for the oposing team AND after teh 2 ft Possesion for the Oposing team.

If it was preceded by a foul, like Foul, complaing, technical you will ahve 4ft and the possesion.

RLundi
01-14-2012, 09:02 AM
Money is the best deterrent.

And if I'm not mistaken, the money goes to charity. But who knows for sure...

blahblahyoutoo
01-14-2012, 11:31 AM
Are technical fouls a transfer of wealth from players to the league?

OK, just stop. Please.

Geargo Wallace
01-14-2012, 11:36 AM
I heard that technicals fund the Taliban :shrug:

Gram
01-14-2012, 12:36 PM
I heard that technicals fund the Taliban :shrug:

More likely than the OP's story. :rolleyes:

bovice163
01-14-2012, 12:39 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if it was. There is corruption in just about every major corporation/association/business in the world. The NBA is no different. If the Vatican is one of the richest and most corrupt states in the world, then I don't see why the NBA couldn't take a page from their book. Just look at the country you live in if you're American, and it should become pretty clear to you.

Geargo Wallace
01-14-2012, 12:45 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if it was. There is corruption in just about every major corporation/association/business in the world. The NBA is no different. If the Vatican is one of the richest and most corrupt states in the world, then I don't see why the NBA couldn't take a page from their book. Just look at the country you live in if you're American, and it should become pretty clear to you.

Are you actually comparing the Vatican and NBA? Get the aluminum foil off of your head.

jetsfan28
01-14-2012, 12:47 PM
The money goes to charity

And yes, players and coaches can be expected not to flip out on refs. If people did that in any other job they'd be fired.

This is a dumb thread.

bovice163
01-14-2012, 12:48 PM
Are you actually comparing the Vatican and NBA? Get the aluminum foil off of your head.

I'm a realist, not a conspiracy theorist. Get the blinders off of your eyes.

Geargo Wallace
01-14-2012, 12:58 PM
I'm a realist, not a conspiracy theorist. Get the blinders off of your eyes.

The NBA is fining players and taking all of the dough!!!!!!!!!! Conspiracy! You're all blind! Stern is the Pope!

Realistically, the NBA isn't Enron.

bovice163
01-14-2012, 01:01 PM
The NBA is fining players and taking all of the dough!!!!!!!!!! Conspiracy! You're all blind! Stern is the Pope!

Realistically, the NBA isn't Enron.

I never said it was, nor did I compare the two. I simply said if the Vatican can do it, which is "supposed" to be a beacon of God, light, and all that is good, then the NBA which is strictly a business is going to have it's hands dirty as well.

I think it's always funny that the first people to scream conspiracy in a sarcastic tone, are the ones incapable or incompetent enough to stomach the truth. No the NBA isn't the Fourth Reich, but it's had it's fair share of controversies, especially in terms of officiating. Just go ask Tim Donaghy.

PC
01-14-2012, 01:05 PM
The money goes to charity

And yes, players and coaches can be expected not to flip out on refs. If people did that in any other job they'd be fired.

This is a dumb thread.

Yeah I remember hearing this as well...

kozelkid
01-14-2012, 01:09 PM
Wade>You is anything not a conspiracy to you?

:laugh2:

I was thinking the EXACT same thing as I looked at the thread. In fact, I was half expecting it to somehow get linked to Stern screwing the Heat.

Geargo Wallace
01-14-2012, 01:11 PM
I never said it was, nor did I compare the two. I simply said if the Vatican can do it, which is "supposed" to be a beacon of God, light, and all that is good, then the NBA which is strictly a business is going to have it's hands dirty as well.

I think it's always funny that the first people to scream conspiracy in a sarcastic tone, are the ones incapable or incompetent enough to stomach the truth. No the NBA isn't the Fourth Reich, but it's had it's fair share of controversies, especially in terms of officiating. Just go ask Tim Donaghy.

Incompetent to stomach the truth? LOL dude, you can contrast anything with the Vatican then.

NBA is strictly a business = Must be dirty because the Vatican is dirty!

People scream conspiracy because of posts like yours.
NBA fine money = Indulgences

bovice163
01-14-2012, 01:18 PM
Incompetent to stomach the truth? LOL dude, you can contrast anything with the Vatican then.

NBA is strictly a business = Must be dirty because the Vatican is dirty!

People scream conspiracy because of posts like yours.
NBA fine money = Indulgences

Big business = corruption, not just business. Your mom and pop store on the corner doesn't bring in enough revenue to warrant under the table, corrupt deals to benefit a larger whole. Our country has made large strides in the last few decades to move to a more Corporatist state. It's not hard to see who it benefits.

But it's fine that you think so, I'm not arguing with you. Neither of us know the real truth, we can only speculate with what we see in terms of ethics, and that doesn't have a good track record in this country.

And how about instead of people screaming conspiracy at posts like mine, they ignore them outright if they don't agree.

king2218
01-14-2012, 01:30 PM
The fines should be ALOT higher than what it is now. Let's say the player loses the game check...reasons being: the fines go to charity which is always a plus, players/coaches shouldn't act like whiny babies in front of national TV, as it sets a bad example for kids who idolize these players & think its ok to lash out. Like someone mentioned above, these players blow 5x more money on strip clubs or cars then the fine they have to pay. Although, the NBA should loosen up some & expect players to throw up their hands when they get frustrated.