PDA

View Full Version : Dwight Howard gets 39 FTAs Against the Warriors

Ragun
01-13-2012, 02:31 AM
http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=320112009

WTF????!

he only made 21 of them. coulda had a 60 point night...but WTF 39 FTAs? that has to be the most in some time.

EDIT: According to Wiki, its the most ever attempted in a game by a player.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-13-2012, 02:34 AM
too bad he cant hit em

Lakers + Giants
01-13-2012, 02:35 AM
I honestly didn't watch the game. Did he actually draw that many fouls or was it a hack a shaq?

tyfreaks brotha
01-13-2012, 02:39 AM
Wow. Just wow.

asandhu23
01-13-2012, 02:40 AM
Hack a Dwight. Hack a Howard. Hack the Big Guy in the Middle

Baller1
01-13-2012, 02:41 AM
That's embarrassing more than it is impressive. 21-39? Come on...

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-13-2012, 02:44 AM
That's embarrassing more than it is impressive. 21-39? Come on...

agreed, I could accept like 25-39 (.65) but 21-39 is bad and ridicilous, he could have had easily over 50.

tyfreaks brotha
01-13-2012, 02:49 AM
I honestly don't see how he can miss 18 free-throws

5ass
01-13-2012, 02:50 AM
he hit his free throws more towards the end of the game, thats all that matters to me. Orl came out with the win, and without dwight it wouldnt have been possible, but obviously i want howard to shoot a better percentage. i just dont see it happening anytime soon

shep33
01-13-2012, 02:58 AM
Really weird game... The Warriors didn't double Howard tonight at all. I know they were afraid of the 3 ball, but I mean at least show and get back, they didn't even do that

Gibby
01-13-2012, 02:59 AM
how much of them were hack a howard fouls?

asandhu23
01-13-2012, 03:00 AM
how much of them were hack a howard fouls?

All of them.

shep33
01-13-2012, 03:03 AM
He took 60 shots tonight, that's mind boggling.

21 fga
39 fta

Gibby
01-13-2012, 03:08 AM
All of them.

really?

nice sig btw

numba1CHANGsta
01-13-2012, 03:10 AM

21 fga
39 fta

and people say Kobe shoots too much pfft

FUKudomeYOMOMMA
01-13-2012, 03:13 AM
too bad he cant hit em

yeah his shot looks like what "da grassy" tyson is doing is ur sig

shep33
01-13-2012, 03:13 AM
Good game by Howard, he needs to get more efficient scoring though and obviously that comes at the line...

Putting it in perspective, and this is a bad way to do so I think lol I just thought it was funny... Kobe took 6 more shots combined to get 81. His 48 point game this year, he actually too 16 less combined shots (fga + fta combined)

Still the best big in the game, the guy is just a pure beast

5ass
01-13-2012, 03:28 AM
and people say Kobe shoots too much pfft

sorry, but thats such a dumb post, they were hacking dwight. he has no choice but to shoot the free throws.

BigBongTheory
01-13-2012, 03:30 AM
yeah, dominate game by howard, just throw it into the paint, bucket or free throws. Gotta be better with the free throws though

tyfreaks brotha
01-13-2012, 03:35 AM

21 fga
39 fta

and people say Kobe shoots too much pfft Or maybe just both of them shoot to much :shrug:

THE GIPPER
01-13-2012, 03:47 AM
Or maybe just both of them shoot to much :shrug:

21 fga to get 45 points is very good. Ya he should have made more free throws but how can you complain about or blame a guy for shooting 39 fts? Its a good thing. Even if he shoots a low percentage at least the other team is constantly in foul trouble.

shep33
01-13-2012, 03:49 AM

Nah, I think they do what's right for their team's. Kobe has to shoot because the Lakers outside of him probably have the worst perimeter in the NBA easil. Derek Fisher probably wouldn't make many other NBA teams, he wouldn't start for any to be frank about it. Then they have Kapono, and Steve Blake. Kapono essentially got exiled by the Sixers, and Blake is a solid backup IMO. Metta is just done offensively, Barnes is very streaky offensively. So Kobe has to shoot.

Howard didn't have a choice tonight going to the line. I mean he had to shoot those. Offensively he's in the best situation in Orlando, because the spacing that their shooters provide.

Sactown
01-13-2012, 03:49 AM

Difference is Kobe had a choice to shoot the ball? Dwight didn't...

ChiTownPacerFan
01-13-2012, 03:50 AM
At least Howard did better than Shaq's 18-39 in the Finals.

Mudvayne91
01-13-2012, 03:53 AM
That's amazing. Are any of these stats record breakers?

shep33
01-13-2012, 03:59 AM
That's amazing. Are any of these stats record breakers?

yeah 39 fta is a record for a regular season game... Wilt's record was 34.

Mudvayne91
01-13-2012, 04:01 AM
Amazing. I wish I would've seen this one.

shep33
01-13-2012, 04:07 AM
Amazing. I wish I would've seen this one.

haha, it actually wasn't too pretty. He made 21 I believe. He was single teamed the entire night, which was kind of a strange strategy.

D1JM
01-13-2012, 04:09 AM
Pathetic FT percentage for howard. You would expect he would improve but it hasn't changed

D1JM
01-13-2012, 04:12 AM
haha, it actually wasn't too pretty. He made 21 I believe. He was single teamed the entire night, which was kind of a strange strategy.

Not really. The bulls do it. After getting blown out the first three games by a combined 79 points against the magic last year (when they would double him) the bulls have won I think 4 straight( when not doubling him and letting Howard get his)

shep33
01-13-2012, 04:15 AM
Not really. The bulls do it. After getting blown out the first three games by a combined 79 points against the magic last year (when they would double him) the bulls have won I think 4 straight( when not doubling him and letting Howard get his)

Oh no, I meant in the sense that the Warriors have absolutely no players to contend with Howard 1-on-1. The Bulls can single cover him with Noah, Asik, etc. The Warriors tonight went with Biedrins who fouled out in a few minutes lol, then the rest of the game it was essentially David Lee, who really isn't known for his defense and is a lot smaller than Howard. It's like putting Boozer on and island with him. They were scared of Orlando's 3 ball tonight, so I kinda get it.

iam brett favre
01-13-2012, 04:29 AM
Im positive I could make 25 out of 39

Raph12
01-13-2012, 04:29 AM
Considering he was 9-24 midway through the third, then went on to hit 12-15, I think that's pretty damn impressive... In comparison, Shaq went 18-39 in the finals in 2000 :D

D1JM
01-13-2012, 05:32 AM
Oh no, I meant in the sense that the Warriors have absolutely no players to contend with Howard 1-on-1. The Bulls can single cover him with Noah, Asik, etc. The Warriors tonight went with Biedrins who fouled out in a few minutes lol, then the rest of the game it was essentially David Lee, who really isn't known for his defense and is a lot smaller than Howard. It's like putting Boozer on and island with him. They were scared of Orlando's 3 ball tonight, so I kinda get it.

If you dont cover the 3pt shot against Orlando and let them get hot, you're ****ed

shep33
01-13-2012, 05:41 AM
If you dont cover the 3pt shot against Orlando and let them get hot, you're ****ed

Very true, I'm surprised the Warriors played this well and kept in close... they're a bad matchup defensively for the Magic, maybe one of the worst in the league in terms of just how poorly they match up with them.

that's not to say the Warriors are a bad defensive team, I think they're much improved. However, with Kwame Brown out for a long time, it was Biedrins tonight with a lot of David Lee... just no way your stopping Howard one on one with those guys. They couldn't double, cause like you said Orlando was pretty hot tonight from 3. It was basically a pick your poison type game, and Howard owned them on the block, either way I guess Mark Jackson was screwed

Raph12
01-13-2012, 05:52 AM
Very true, I'm surprised the Warriors played this well and kept in close... they're a bad matchup defensively for the Magic, maybe one of the worst in the league in terms of just how poorly they match up with them.

that's not to say the Warriors are a bad defensive team, I think they're much improved. However, with Kwame Brown out for a long time, it was Biedrins tonight with a lot of David Lee... just no way your stopping Howard one on one with those guys. They couldn't double, cause like you said Orlando was pretty hot tonight from 3. It was basically a pick your poison type game, and Howard owned them on the block, either way I guess Mark Jackson was screwed

Again, Dwight has "litup" Kwame pretty much anytime he's ever played him, so I don't know how much stock you put into that. I don't see why this game is getting critisized for lack of defense. When Kobe scored 40+ on the Suns and Jazz (both horrid defensive squads), I didn't see anyone saying "oh those teams suck defensively".

A dominant game is a dominant game nonetheless, Dwight owned this team, not only with his scoring (45pts), but with his passing (3asts), rebounding (23rbs), shotblocking (2 shots blocked, countless altered) and his quick hands/ability to guard players off the dribble (4stls)... It was an all-around domination, plain and simple.

Does playing the Warriors help, sure; should you discredit him for it, hardly. He abused them more than Lebron, Wade, Kobe, Bynum, Rose or anyone else they played this season.

shep33
01-13-2012, 06:02 AM
Again, Dwight has "litup" Kwame pretty much anytime he's ever played him, so I don't know how much stock you put into that. I don't see why this game is getting critisized for lack of defense. When Kobe scored 40+ on the Suns and Jazz (both horrid defensive squads), I didn't see anyone saying "oh those teams suck defensively".

A dominant game is a dominant game nonetheless, Dwight owned this team, not only with his scoring (45pts), but with his passing (3asts), rebounding (23rbs), shotblocking (2 shots blocked, countless altered) and his quick hands/ability to guard players off the dribble (4stls)... It was an all-around domination, plain and simple.

Does playing the Warriors help, sure; should you discredit him for it, hardly. He abused them more than Lebron, Wade, Kobe, Bynum, Rose or anyone else they played this season.

All I said was that the Warriors are not a good matchup for the Magic, which they aren't, and without Kwame they are an even worse matchup because even as bad as Kwame is, he's another big body to throw out there and he's a better defender than Biedrins and Lee on the block. Once Biedrins got into foul trouble, that was it, it was essentially Lee on him after that. I don't think anyone is bashing Howard in any way. We were discussing the defensive strategy of the Warriors, they were in no mans land tonight. Double Howard= get killed from the 3... single cover=he lights up Biedrins + Lee... so hack-a-Howard is essentially what they reverted too, and I really can't blame them

All in all though... Howard was a beast tonight, no denying it. Stan should get him the ball every time down

Raph12
01-13-2012, 06:17 AM
All I said was that the Warriors are not a good matchup for the Magic, which they aren't, and without Kwame they are an even worse matchup because even as bad as Kwame is, he's another big body to throw out there and he's a better defender than Biedrins and Lee on the block. Once Biedrins got into foul trouble, that was it, it was essentially Lee on him after that. I don't think anyone is bashing Howard in any way. We were discussing the defensive strategy of the Warriors, they were in no mans land tonight. Double Howard= get killed from the 3... single cover=he lights up Biedrins + Lee... so hack-a-Howard is essentially what they reverted too, and I really can't blame them

All in all though... Howard was a beast tonight, no denying it. Stan should get him the ball every time down

The Magic had bad matchups against them all night long; Ellis destroyed us, Jenkins was ripping through the defense, Rush had a field day and Lee destroyed Anderson/Baby. Dwight was the only matchup we had, fortunately for us, Dwight feasted against those guys guarding him and made his FTs late... Lee rarely guarded Dwight, it was Biedrins, Udoh and McGuire for the most part (with Lee sometimes on a mismatch). They tried putting Lee on him for a stretch in the 4th and Dwight drew two fouls and shut Lee down on the other end, then they switched it again.

I'm just saying, people have the excuses all lined up, but when a guy like Kobe drops 48 on the Suns and 40 on the Jazz, suddenly he's the best player in the league again.

xBLAMEITON24x
01-13-2012, 06:19 AM
hack a shaq or a dwight

shep33
01-13-2012, 06:45 AM
The Magic had bad matchups against them all night long; Ellis destroyed us, Jenkins was ripping through the defense, Rush had a field day and Lee destroyed Anderson/Baby. Dwight was the only matchup we had, fortunately for us, Dwight feasted against those guys guarding him and made his FTs late... Lee rarely guarded Dwight, it was Biedrins, Udoh and McGuire for the most part (with Lee sometimes on a mismatch). They tried putting Lee on him for a stretch in the 4th and Dwight drew two fouls and shut Lee down on the other end, then they switched it again.

I'm just saying, people have the excuses all lined up, but when a guy like Kobe drops 48 on the Suns and 40 on the Jazz, suddenly he's the best player in the league again.

I get ya, you make very valid points. D12 still got his 45 and 23. Beast game for the best big in the biz. I agree, Orlando's guards got outplayed, the dribble penetration by Gstate was just way too easy. Good game, well deserved for a great Magic team :clap:

Raph12
01-13-2012, 06:56 AM
I get ya, you make very valid points. D12 still got his 45 and 23. Beast game for the best big in the biz. I agree, Orlando's guards got outplayed, the dribble penetration by Gstate was just way too easy. Good game, well deserved for a great Magic team :clap:

The team's lacking lol, they played well in Portland two days ago, then folded down the stretch and almost gave up a 23pt-lead. Our defense is what kept this game close, and by that, I mean we got killed on that end so bad, putting up 111pts should have automatically been a blowout for a Magic-defensive squad, but we've given up 104 and 109 in our last two games... Things need to change, whether it be personnel or personalities.

We will lose Dwight at some point in this season, whether it be tomorrow, at the deadline or on draft night; in any case, this team will not be the same. I'm a pretty die-hard Dwight fan and I'll cheer him no matter where he goes, I just don't think I can handle another post-Shaq/pre-Dwight era in Orlando... I'm currently studying in Toronto (at UofT), will be living in NYC (law school and then hopefully practicing law there) starting next year, my dad has already moved to NYC, my mom lives in Orlando (I was a 1yr old when we moved there [from Italy] and then got moved to Toronto when I was 8) and my grandparents live in LA... A lot of options for root for lol.

shep33
01-13-2012, 07:11 AM
The team's lacking lol, they played well in Portland two days ago, then folded down the stretch and almost gave up a 23pt-lead. Our defense is what kept this game close, and by that, I mean we got killed on that end so bad, putting up 111pts should have automatically been a blowout for a Magic-defensive squad, but we've given up 104 and 109 in our last two games... Things need to change, whether it be personnel or personalities.

We will lose Dwight at some point in this season, whether it be tomorrow, at the deadline or on draft night; in any case, this team will not be the same. I'm a pretty die-hard Dwight fan and I'll cheer him no matter where he goes, I just don't think I can handle another post-Shaq/pre-Dwight era in Orlando... I'm currently studying in Toronto (at UofT), will be living in NYC (law school and then hopefully practicing law there) starting next year, my dad has already moved to NYC, my mom lives in Orlando (I was a 1yr old when we moved there [from Italy] and then got moved to Toronto when I was 8) and my grandparents live in LA... A lot of options for root for lol.

I hope Howard stays in all truth. I think right now it's the best situation for him rather than the teams he mentioned... i mean LA is nice and all, but we'd be screwed for free agency if we took on Turks contract and didn't get rid of another bad one this year. More than anything our perimeter is horrendous... if you took Kobe off of our perimeter we'd have the worst guard/sf rotation in NBA history lol. Get this... Kobe's backup's this year have scored a combined 38 points; Derek fisher has scored 7 points in the last 4 games; we are almost last in 3 point shooting; we have the worst pg rotation in the league (for a while now), and our best pg (Steve Blake- who's playing well for us) is out for a while I'm guessing. Metta is putting up the worst numbers of his career... under 6 ppg on 35% shooting, and really outside of Matt Barnes we have nothing on the outside. I'm actually sure that if Kobe didn't play in any of the games this year we'd lose by 20+... we just can't score outside of Kobe, Pau and Bynum

Regarding your personal info:

Awesome stuff man. I'm considering law school too. I'm writing the LSAT in June so hopefully that goes well... right now I'm working on my 2nd degree (first one was in Biology), kind of struggling on what I want to do, either Optometry school (job seems easy lol) or Law school (which is what I'd rather do)... I was looking at schools in New York. I won't go to Syracuse though because my friend went there and got so addicted to college ball, so I'm sure I'd flunk out lol. Best of luck to you though, I'm sure you'll get in. U of T is a great school, I had some friends go there.

Gram
01-13-2012, 10:42 AM
Holy ****.

macc
01-13-2012, 11:10 AM
I honestly didn't watch the game. Did he actually draw that many fouls or was it a hack a shaq?

Ya Marc Jackson started hack a howard in the 2nd quarter. They even fouled when Howard was away from the ball. It was pretty bush league I thought.

ChiSox219
01-13-2012, 02:05 PM
21 fga to get 45 points is very good. Ya he should have made more free throws but how can you complain about or blame a guy for shooting 39 fts? Its a good thing. Even if he shoots a low percentage at least the other team is constantly in foul trouble.

Great post

Also, you are in the bonus allowing teammates to get to line on non-shooting fouls.

Wade>You
01-13-2012, 02:06 PM
David Stern's last attempt to persuade Dwight Howard to stay in Orlando.

And it begins.

Raph12
01-13-2012, 02:14 PM
@Shep,

Yeah but I'd figure if they could keep Pau, they'd be golden; Turk could also take some ball-handling pressure off of Kobe as well; they'd just need a PG (story of Kobe's life I guess).

Nice, personally I'm looking at Columbia, I have a near 4.0 GPA (needed atleast 3.5 to maintain my academic scholarship), if I don't get in then I'll go to NYU.

Raph12
01-13-2012, 02:17 PM
David Stern's last attempt to persuade Dwight Howard to stay in Orlando.

And it begins.

They pulled out the "Hack-a-Dwight" since the 2nd quarter, not really Stern's idea, unless you think he and Marc Jackson planned it together.

shep33
01-13-2012, 02:36 PM
@Shep,

Yeah but I'd figure if they could keep Pau, they'd be golden; Turk could also take some ball-handling pressure off of Kobe as well; they'd just need a PG (story of Kobe's life I guess).

Nice, personally I'm looking at Columbia, I have a near 4.0 GPA (needed atleast 3.5 to maintain my academic scholarship), if I don't get in then I'll go to NYU.

Crazy man, Columbia and NYU are both wins IMO. Can't go wrong with either man, good stuff! :clap:

Don't know if I can get in or afford either one though lol, all gonna depend on my LSAT. Either way good job Raph! Best of luck to you man! And remember... your a PSD alum as well lol

Raph12
01-13-2012, 02:53 PM
Crazy man, Columbia and NYU are both wins IMO. Can't go wrong with either man, good stuff! :clap:

Don't know if I can get in or afford either one though lol, all gonna depend on my LSAT. Either way good job Raph! Best of luck to you man! And remember... your a PSD alum as well lol

Appreciate it man, good luck to you as well, who knows someday we may end up in court against one another lol.

As for the "PSD alum" part; I'd like to think I'm graduating with the top 1% of the class, considering all of the idiots that are on here lol.

shep33
01-13-2012, 03:09 PM
Appreciate it man, good luck to you as well, who knows someday we may end up in court against one another lol.

As for the "PSD alum" part; I'd like to think I'm graduating with the top 1% of the class, considering all of the idiots that are on here lol.

LMAO!

Good stuff man, and thanks Raph! :clap:

SA5195
01-13-2012, 06:42 PM
Wow he could've had alot of points if he hit most of them.

Raph12
01-13-2012, 06:56 PM
Wow he could've had alot of points if he hit most of them.

Not really, he started 9-24 which is why they used the "hack-a-Dwight" a lot, if he made even 65%, no way he goes to the line 39 times.