PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't Howard criticized for his free throw shooting?

NYSpirit1
01-13-2012, 12:43 AM
He's shooting 42% this year and has literally averaged 58-59% every season in his career except for his rookie year, which was his best average.

Shaq was massacred for this his entire career and I barely, if ever, hear criticism for Howard about it. And he's been in the league 7-8 years and hasn't gotten any better what so ever.

Iodine
01-13-2012, 12:44 AM
You arent listening hard enough :shrug:

Its pretty much a given he sucks, so really no need to always bring it up

ManRam
01-13-2012, 12:47 AM
He's not criticized for it?

Wow, that's news to me!

5ass
01-13-2012, 12:55 AM
lol, he is criticized about it, but its just because Shaq was so successful without hitting his free throws and many people see him as Superman II.
Btw the magic just hired the best free throw shooter in NBA history to work with dwight, Mark Price.

tmacsc2
01-13-2012, 12:56 AM
He is always getting bashed for it, i personally dont understand why he cant hit damn free throws, the guy is 7 feet tall all he should need to do is reach his arms out and drop it in! thats virtually his only flaw in his game, as he is developing a nice look inside game as he gets older!

Swashcuff
01-13-2012, 01:01 AM
You arent listening hard enough :shrug:

Its pretty much a given he sucks, so really no need to always bring it up

Pretty much this... Dwight has alwaysss been criticized for his poor free throw shooting.

Run&Gun
01-13-2012, 01:09 AM
Dwight is still being criticized, they mostly talk about it more in game though rather than like on sport center. It's a big deal, but a lot of people are more numb to it already since he's never been that great.

He's pretty bad right now but I expect it to equal out eventually, and even with mark price, he's not going to get really any better, he's been working with free throw coaches before and no noticeable changes.

I think they need to bring another big man to teach him how to shoot free throws they always says he sucks at it because his "big" hands supposedly, bring Yao Ming back to mentor him haha or maybe big Z could help him.

bholly
01-13-2012, 01:19 AM
lol, he is criticized about it, but its just because Shaq was so successful without hitting his free throws and many people see him as Superman II.
Btw the magic just hired the best free throw shooter in NBA history to work with dwight, Mark Price.

lol, I went to check on this. According to basketball-reference, Nash was just ahead at the start of today:

Steve Nash .9042 (2812-3110)
Mark Price .9039 (2135-2362)

But it was so close that Nash missing his next attempt would've put him behind.

And then tonight Nash went 3-5 and dropped to .9037.

So Mark Price is the best...for now.

USMCLaker
01-13-2012, 02:14 AM
The real reason is that "Hack a Howard" is just not as catchy as "Hack a Shaq."

Bulls_fan90
01-13-2012, 02:27 AM
He set an NBA record for FT attempts tonight.

5ass
01-13-2012, 02:35 AM
The real reason is that "Hack a Howard" is just not as catchy as "Hack a Shaq."

smite-a-dwight?

MR.Bear
01-13-2012, 02:40 AM
Why hate on the best player.

John Walls Era
01-13-2012, 02:49 AM
People are use to it. Thats like say "Why is Barkley still allowed to talk even though hes an idiot".

USMCLaker
01-13-2012, 02:53 AM
smite-a-dwight?

I like it.

phen0m
01-13-2012, 03:38 AM
smite-a-dwight?

Bite-a-Dwight
Fight-a-Dwight

Coward-a-Howard

Chronz
01-13-2012, 03:41 AM
According to Raph he was projected to shoot 70% this year.

Bruno
01-13-2012, 04:20 AM
hes especially bad this year. 42%

THE MTL
01-13-2012, 04:40 AM
He's shooting 42% this year and has literally averaged 58-59% every season in his career except for his rookie year, which was his best average.

Shaq was massacred for this his entire career and I barely, if ever, hear criticism for Howard about it. And he's been in the league 7-8 years and hasn't gotten any better what so ever.

My fellow Knicks fan. Stick to the Knicks (what u know). Dwight is heavily criticized for his poor FT shooting.

He shot 39 times tonight and only made 21 of them thats like 52%. It should get to the point where you start making them because of the frequency of shooting them lol.

He would have scored 50pts tonight if he shot 64% from the line and thats kinda sad.

Raph12
01-13-2012, 04:55 AM
People are use to it. Thats like say "Why is Barkley still allowed to talk even though hes an idiot".

After the talk that's transpired in the last week, I think Barkley may be one of the smarter guys on that show... SMH at Shaq n CWebb calling Bynum the best center in the league.

Raph12
01-13-2012, 04:57 AM
According to Raph he was projected to shoot 70% this year.

And it turned out to be a career-worst, isn't that odd... That he looked so good during the offseason and then suddenly started shooting worse than ever before?.

I think it gets better as the season progresses but I'm pretty baffled about it right now.

shep33
01-13-2012, 05:43 AM
And it turned out to be a career-worst, isn't that odd... That he looked so good during the offseason and then suddenly started shooting worse than ever before?.

I think it gets better as the season progresses but I'm pretty baffled about it right now.

You mentioned that he hit like 11-13 or something down the stretch, which is a promising sign. I think your right, no way he's a 42% shooter by the end of the year. I think he'll be significantly better. In a way the hack-a-Howard can be good for him in the long run

beliges
01-13-2012, 05:51 AM
Same goes to Shaq, but if Dwight was able to hit about 70% of his FTs, they wouldve been so many layers better than they actual are/were. Its crazy to even fathom. Dwight would be the best player in the league if he could hit the 70% mark.

rapjuicer06
01-13-2012, 09:16 AM
Dwight, for some reason, has the ball roll off his fingertips different everytime he shoots a free throw. He hardly ever shoots the exact same way twice in a row. And another thing, you look at the best FT shooters, they don't look down at the ball, they stare at the hoop the whole time then shoot. Dwight looks at the hoop for like a second before he shoots the ball

NSJ
01-13-2012, 09:18 AM

Wouldn't get your hopes up he worked with Rondo for a summer and we know how much that helped. Just because you can shoot FTs doesn't mean you can teach someone how to shoot them.

Hawkeye15
01-13-2012, 09:20 AM
he is always criticized for it, rightly so.

ManRam
01-13-2012, 10:18 AM
every off season you hear how good his shot is looking and how he looks like a much improved FT shooter, this off season included, and then nothing changes

effen5
01-13-2012, 10:34 AM
Its all mental.

Cal827
01-13-2012, 11:00 AM
He's a center and centers are pardoned for their terrible ft percentage.

pacofunk64
01-13-2012, 11:22 AM
Why ask why?

OptiMized
01-13-2012, 11:28 AM
Bite-a-Dwight
Fight-a-Dwight

Coward-a-Howard
OMG laughed for like 5 min straight on the floor on all three.

coward a howard lol

THE_G.O.A.T.
01-13-2012, 12:11 PM
He is criticized, every time he goes to the line whoever is calling the game will say how bad he is.

RLundi
01-13-2012, 12:53 PM
I see the point, Dwight doesn't seem to be as maligned as Shaq was in regards to free throws.

Regardless, he still gets his fair share of criticism for it. I think I've become numb to it -- I just tune it out. In my eyes, it's a victory if Dwight splits a pair at this point.

blahblahyoutoo
01-13-2012, 02:02 PM

it's not going to work.
shooters are born, not made.

shaq/dwight have no basketball skills. they are just big and athletic.

RLundi
01-13-2012, 02:05 PM
it's not going to work.

Is this a joke? Long-range shooting is the only basketball skill?

blahblahyoutoo
01-13-2012, 02:06 PM
Dwight, for some reason, has the ball roll off his fingertips different everytime he shoots a free throw. He hardly ever shoots the exact same way twice in a row. And another thing, you look at the best FT shooters, they don't look down at the ball, they stare at the hoop the whole time then shoot. Dwight looks at the hoop for like a second before he shoots the ball

good shooters can hit 3's without looking.
where your eyes are looking has nothing to do with it. he just has a bad (or no) shooting touch.

blahblahyoutoo
01-13-2012, 02:06 PM
Is this a joke? Long-range shooting is the only basketball skill?

yeah, dwight and shaq are great dribblers too.

go read countless other threads about dwight. if they weren't hovering around 7', they wouldn't be in the NBA.

GrapeSoda
01-13-2012, 02:18 PM
it's not going to work.

That is just absurd ..

GrapeSoda
01-13-2012, 02:20 PM
it's not going to work.

Ray Allen came out of the womb with that shooting touch? or did it take coutnless hours and years of practice to perfect his form?

RLundi
01-13-2012, 02:20 PM

go read countless other threads about dwight. if they weren't hovering around 7', they wouldn't be in the NBA.

Right, and they have terrible footwork.

By your logic, all 7-footers should be on Dwight's or Shaq's level, but they aren't, hmmmm.

Explain.

Swashcuff
01-13-2012, 02:38 PM

And if Nash was hovering around 7 foot tall he'd be the G.O.A.T. :laugh2:

Worst post of the entire thread right here. You guys are beyond comical.

3mikee_
01-13-2012, 02:46 PM
It's because they are that tall that they focus on improving their strengths as opposed to trying to crossover like CP3..

And yea D12 has had enough criticism about his FT shooting.. and the fact that they are putting him on the line on purpose is criticism enough.

blahblahyoutoo
01-13-2012, 03:10 PM
Right, and they have terrible footwork.

By your logic, all 7-footers should be on Dwight's or Shaq's level, but they aren't, hmmmm.

Explain.

because they aren't as athletic. it was mentioned in my post.
try to keep up.

blahblahyoutoo
01-13-2012, 03:14 PM
Ray Allen came out of the womb with that shooting touch? or did it take coutnless hours and years of practice to perfect his form?

yup, some people are just more talented and coordinated.

you don't think dwight has put countless hours and years practicing FT's?
tell me why he's still shooting 50% then.

you don't believe it's possible that some people are better than others when it comes to natural shooting ability?

RLundi
01-13-2012, 03:15 PM
because they aren't as athletic. it was mentioned in my post.
try to keep up.

Lol, the single most asinine rationalization it's ever been my displeasure to entertain.

But I'll bite.

Humor me, Serge Ibaka is nearly 7 feet tall and one of the most athletic bigs in the NBA, but he's not Dwight Howard or Shaq.

Please explain that to me.

ee
01-13-2012, 03:28 PM
Coz they're free points...he goes there 20 times and hits 9 of them, how many players gets 9 freee points per game? Not many and he puts the other in foul trouble....

GrapeSoda
01-13-2012, 03:45 PM

you don't think dwight has put countless hours and years practicing FT's?tell me why he's still shooting 50% then.

you don't believe it's possible that some people are better than others when it comes to natural shooting ability?

No .. I don't think Dwight has put in countless hours .. he was always bigger stronger and could jump over anybody .. I guarantee he never even practiced free throws back in the day, whats the point when you were so dominant?

Raph12
01-13-2012, 04:11 PM
No .. I don't think Dwight has put in countless hours .. he was always bigger stronger and could jump over anybody .. I guarantee he never even practiced free throws back in the day, whats the point when you were so dominant?

Maybe not while growing up, but definitely since he's been in the league.

GrapeSoda
01-13-2012, 04:16 PM
Maybe not while growing up, but definitely since he's been in the league.

you really think so? His best FT percentage is 67% from his rookie year .. the next 6 years hover around 59% and this year he is at 46% .. he literally has shown NO signs of improvement, how can you say he definitely has been practicing?

Raph12
01-13-2012, 04:19 PM
you really think so? His best FT percentage is 67% from his rookie year .. the next 6 years hover around 59% and this year he is at 46% .. he literally has shown NO signs of improvement, how can you say he definitely has been practicing?

Because I keep up with him in the offseason, hell during this offseason he hired Ed Palubinkas and was shooting his FTs at over 83%... He was expected to have a career year at the line, he did, but a career-worst year.

I expect his numbers to go up as the season progresses, the release point in his shot has been different most of the time, I think that changes.

blahblahyoutoo
01-13-2012, 06:01 PM

You're wrong then.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_cg08SXrQ0

blahblahyoutoo
01-13-2012, 06:05 PM

Repeat after me.
Some. People. Are. Just. Not. Born. With. It.
No. Matter. How. Much. They. Practice.

Dolfan305
01-13-2012, 06:09 PM
I don't know what your listening to because I hear Dwight get criticized for his shooting all the time. At this point, just like shaq, his FT shooting is a lost cause and people need to just get over it and except him for who he is.

RLundi
01-13-2012, 06:21 PM
Repeat after me.
Some. People. Are. Just. Not. Born. With. It.
No. Matter. How. Much. They. Practice.

Honestly, you sound incredibly unintelligent right now. People are born shooters?? That is top 5 one of the most ludicrous things I've ever heard.

Do you know what the critical period is? It's a period of time in early development when the average person learns much of their knowledge, retains much information and creates much of their future tendencies. During that stage, ANYBODY could develop into a Ray Allen-type shooter. Ray Allen didn't come out of the womb shooting jumpers, you sound absolutely ridiculous with that boneheaded assertion.

Realistically, when Dwight was growing up, his critical period was about athleticism and not shooting. Please, for the sake of the children who could be reading your posts and accepting the egregious misinformation as fact, stop this nonsense about being born with shooting ability, it's preposterous.

Do it for the children.

blahblahyoutoo
01-13-2012, 07:26 PM
Honestly, you sound incredibly unintelligent right now. People are born shooters?? That is top 5 one of the most ludicrous things I've ever heard.

Do you know what the critical period is? It's a period of time in early development when the average person learns much of their knowledge, retains much information and creates much of their future tendencies. During that stage, ANYBODY could develop into a Ray Allen-type shooter. Ray Allen didn't come out of the womb shooting jumpers, you sound absolutely ridiculous with that boneheaded assertion.

Realistically, when Dwight was growing up, his critical period was about athleticism and not shooting. Please, for the sake of the children who could be reading your posts and accepting the egregious misinformation as fact, stop this nonsense about being born with shooting ability, it's preposterous.

Do it for the children.

Riiiight. Is that what you really think?
Then why aren't there hundreds of sharpshooters as good as RA in the league? There are kids playing ball in the inner cities day and night, practicing shots until they turn the lights off at the park. And even in the NBA now, there are only a handful of people who can shoot lights out like RA.

For you to think that everyone is on an equal playing field when it comes natural talents tells me that you lack intelligence.

The truth is, if one practices, yes, he'll be better at that skill than if he hadn't, but everyone has a ceiling. Some have higher ceilings than others.

If everyone could do it, every 6'4" teenager would be practicing jumpers during their "critical period", right? Everyone would achieve Ray Allen like 3 point abilities right?
It's not possible that some people are just more naturally gifted right?

I can't believe this had to be explained...

RLundi
01-13-2012, 07:43 PM
Riiiight. Is that what you really think?
Then why aren't there hundreds of sharpshooters as good as RA in the league? There are kids playing ball in the inner cities day and night, practicing shots until they turn the lights off at the park. And even in the NBA now, there are only a handful of people who can shoot lights out like RA.

For you to think that everyone is on an equal playing field when it comes natural talents tells me that you lack intelligence.

The truth is, if one practices, yes, he'll be better at that skill than if he hadn't, but everyone has a ceiling. Some have higher ceilings than others.

If everyone could do it, every 6'4" teenager would be practicing jumpers during their "critical period", right? Everyone would achieve Ray Allen like 3 point abilities right?
It's not possible that some people are just more naturally gifted right?

I can't believe this had to be explained...

Honestly, some people you just can't reason with.

You have the IQ of a smashed grape if you believe the absolute nonsense you just spewed. Critical period is steeped in environment, so yes, anyone who develops their shooting skills in an environment conducive to it can become a sharpshooter. There are videos of Ray Allen admitting all the work he has put in from childhood. Please, for my belief in public education, please tell me you don't honestly believe that shooters are born and not made. Because if you do, then you're the pinnacle of stupidity.

I'm done arguing with you. An old adage says 'don't argue with an idiot because other people won't be able to tell who the idiot is.'

One thing I can't tolerate is people that lack common sense and rational understanding. Oh well, off to the ignore list you go.

Alayla
01-13-2012, 08:05 PM

you don't think dwight has put countless hours and years practicing FT's?
tell me why he's still shooting 50% then.

When interveiwed ray allen was offended by poeple assumeing he was allways able to shoot he said I had to work to get where I am how can u even assume that in sports you allways have to work hard to learn ANY skill

bholly
01-13-2012, 08:30 PM
every off season you hear how good his shot is looking and how he looks like a much improved FT shooter, this off season included, and then nothing changes

It's actually kind of amazing just how consistent he has been. In 6 seasons from '05-'06 to '10-'11:

That's crazy consistent. In his worst season in that stretch (390-666 in '06-'07), if he had've made 7 more free throws it would've been his best season.
A 7 free throw difference between his best and worst seasons over 6 years! That's crazy. There's no quick way to look it up, but I doubt anyone is more consistent than that. Maybe ever.

blahblahyoutoo
01-14-2012, 01:21 AM
When interveiwed ray allen was offended by poeple assumeing he was allways able to shoot he said I had to work to get where I am how can u even assume that in sports you allways have to work hard to learn ANY skill

When did I ever say RA never had to practice shooting?
Yes, no one is born perfecting a skill out of the womb. But there are people that are going to be better at something because they just have the natural talent for it.

Ever have that friend who was just able to pick up something extremely quickly? Something that took you weeks or months to even get good at?
That's because he's just naturally better than you at it.

Lets use another skill as an example. Mozart was a musical genius.
I could practice piano until my fingertips bled for decades, while Mozart would be finishing composing his umpteenth symphony in that same time frame.
But I could probably kick his *** 1v1 in basketball, maybe.

Believe it or not, some people are better than others NATURALLY. Everyone has different talents.

RA is a born shooter. Just like Reggie Miller, as bad as his form was. They just have this natural talent, a higher ceiling.
Jason Kidd became a good shooter towards the end of his career after putting YEARS of practice into it. But he will never be as good as a natural pure shooter like RA. JKidd is a made shooter.

Get it?