PDA

View Full Version : Warriors GM personally met with Otis Smith

Monta is beast
01-13-2012, 12:36 AM
Warriors general manager Larry Riley and Orlando Magic general manager Otis Smith met on Thursday afternoon over lunch in downtown Oakland, and there is little doubt the names of Howard and Stephen Curry came up.

Riley confirmed the lunch before the Warriors-Magic game on Thursday night, and said its not unusual for him to meet with or grab a bite to eat with executives from other teams.

I have a few commitments before the game and I wasnt sure Id get to talk to him for more than two or three minutes, Riley said. So, I figured this would be a way to have a longer conversation.

According to a report by Yahoo! Sports last week, the Warriors have emerged as aggressive suitors for Howard, who has asked to be traded. The reality is it is unlikely that the Warriors could put together a package that land them Howard.

The best chip the Warriors have in any potential trade talks involving Howard is point guard Stephen Curry. But Curry has been plagued by ankle issues this season, and there is uncertainty about his long-term future.

It is highly unlikely that Smith -- or an NBA general manager, for that matter -- would trade for Curry until and unless there is resolution on that ankle

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/warriors-talk/post/Riley-and-Magic-GM-Otis-Smith-meet-over-?blockID=630190&feedID=5882

jd25213
01-13-2012, 12:46 AM
Bad idea, he wouldn't resign there.

5ass
01-13-2012, 01:02 AM
problem is warriors dont have any picks, if they would offer Curry+Lee(goes to a 3rd team, orl gets young talent)+Thompson+Dorell Wright+Brown(expiring contract)+2 1st round picks for Hedo, Howard and Nelson. I'd do it

hgtiger32
01-13-2012, 01:09 AM
Bad idea, he wouldn't resign there.

why wouldn't he?

LakersIn5
01-13-2012, 01:08 PM
why wouldn't he?

cuz its not the mavs, nets or lakers.

CaptainClutch
01-13-2012, 01:38 PM
Interesting article. I think that would be the best scenario for the Nets because it accomplishes two things:

1) Doesn't bring Dwight to a suitor he has expressed interest in and said he would sign long term there.

2) It allows the Nets to use their assets to acquire more talent like a Josh Smith, show Dwight that the Nets are committed to winning, and allow Dwight to walk in Free Agency and sign with the Nets to create a lineup like this:

PG: Deron Williams
SG: MarShon Brooks
SF: ?? (my grandmother??)
PF: Josh Smith
C: Dwight Howard

Whoever it is in the SF position, maybe a veteran guy, would really show that the Nets are committed to going deep into the playoffs come their year in Brooklyn

Lloyd Christmas
01-13-2012, 01:44 PM
Interesting article. I think that would be the best scenario for the Nets because it accomplishes two things:

1) Doesn't bring Dwight to a suitor he has expressed interest in and said he would sign long term there.

2) It allows the Nets to use their assets to acquire more talent like a Josh Smith, show Dwight that the Nets are committed to winning, and allow Dwight to walk in Free Agency and sign with the Nets to create a lineup like this:

Whoever it is in the SF position, maybe a veteran guy, would really show that the Nets are committed to going deep into the playoffs come their year in Brooklyn

That seems like a legit plan.

CaptainClutch
01-13-2012, 01:45 PM

Anyone have Billy King's phone number? :D hahaha

beardown4243
01-13-2012, 01:54 PM

I doubt the Warriors would trade Steph Curry + unless DH says he would re sign there.

CaptainClutch
01-13-2012, 01:58 PM
I doubt the Warriors would trade Steph Curry + unless DH says he would re sign there.

Some teams take the chance. There's no way these trade talks would be happening if they weren't up for the risk of bringing in Dwight Howard for 3 months and hoping he stays. He gave Dan Fagan a short list of teams he wants to play for and Golden State wasn't one of them.

Golden State must be committed to winning a title now, and MAYBE, just maybe they can get him to re-sign if they make the finals. Otherwise, I think BKNY and a Nets team with young athletic players (if they acquire a Josh Smith) would make the most sense.

Raph12
01-13-2012, 02:36 PM
Irrelevant, they don't have anything of interest to offer, unless they get a third team involved.

goldenstater
01-13-2012, 02:41 PM
well if the Warriors did trade for him during the Season, they could offer him more than anyother team could, correct? so maybe that would be incentive enough to resign? maybe.

GrapeSoda
01-13-2012, 02:43 PM

that would absolutely **** the Warriors over haha

mavwar53
01-13-2012, 02:46 PM
Some teams take the chance. There's no way these trade talks would be happening if they weren't up for the risk of bringing in Dwight Howard for 3 months and hoping he stays. He gave Dan Fagan a short list of teams he wants to play for and Golden State wasn't one of them.

Golden State must be committed to winning a title now, and MAYBE, just maybe they can get him to re-sign if they make the finals. Otherwise, I think BKNY and a Nets team with young athletic players (if they acquire a Josh Smith) would make the most sense.

They have one of the biggest Markets, the best Fans and a new dedicated owner. Just like Kerr said last night, the Bay Area is an untapped market but there are huge things waiting for "Star" players. Also Dwight said he wants to play with Monta, so if Dwight sees all of this there is a good chance he stays, as well as if he resigns he can make a lot more money than signing with another team.

I'm not saying it will happen but if it does those are the things that can entice him to stay and change his mind about NJ, LA, or DAL.

Raph12
01-13-2012, 02:48 PM
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/13/magic-warriors-gm-meet-dwight-howard-doesnt-care/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Magic, Warriors GM meet, Dwight Howard doesn’t care

Kurt Helin

Jan 13, 2012, 10:59 AM EST

What did Magic General Manager Otis Smith and Warriors GM Larry Riley talk about when they had lunch together Thursday in Oakland? Probably how much they hate random Internet speculation.

Nonetheless, that’s what we’ve got. The two did meet for lunch, reports Matt Stenmetz of CSNBayArea.com. And as we know from last week the Warriors have become aggressive suitors for Howard, even if they have to rent him. So one plus one equals…

Not so fast.

Sam Amick of Sports Illustrated tweeted this.

On topic of Dwight-to-Warriors, source says his agent, Dan Fegan, has made it clear to GS that Howard has no interest in playing there.

The price to acquire Howard — once the Magic get around to trading him after the All-Star Game (in Orlando) — is going to be steep. It would be Stephen Curry (if Orlando wants his ankle) and several other players. You don’t make that trade unless you are sure you can keep him long term. Howard has said he would only sign an extension with the Lakers, Mavericks or Nets, but other teams would like to think they could sway him if he’d just hang out there for a while. And San Francisco is a great city.

But they have a lot of work to do in the Bay Area to change the culture and revive the team. Sending away a bunch of assets for a guy who doesn’t want to be there and would leave at his first opportunity is not how you go about a rebuild.

But they had lunch, so go ahead and speculate.

/thread

mavwar53
01-13-2012, 03:05 PM
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/13/magic-warriors-gm-meet-dwight-howard-doesnt-care/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

/thread

Yes because the Bi-polar howard says he doesn't want to play there that means that if they make the best offer the Magic won't take it.

MagicBucsSox
01-13-2012, 04:05 PM
Yes because the Bi-polar howard says he doesn't want to play there that means that if they make the best offer the Magic won't take it.

U see the fm Otis can careless as he shouldn't, bk offers the best package hands down and are after Mayo to sweeten the deal. But if that fails your GSW provide a future pg,cap relief but needs to add a third team to improve the offer. GSW already stated they're willing to deal even W/o an ext. So they can still S&t Dwight (I believe) if he opts to leave and they can get Bynum or the bk package

Raph12
01-13-2012, 04:14 PM

Bynum > anything GS has to offer